/prod/ - Music Production General

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

(Obligatory mixing course)
The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M
YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

Ableton tutorials
youtube.com/watch?v=AFXDvz2c2DQ

Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

KVR Audio Forum
kvraudio.com/

Link to the /prod/ sticky if you have something constructive to contribute
docs.google.com/document/d/1fhi1lp-DpAZieQa5cpe5v9zCBS02VDa18ln80Rd_6N0/edit

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/dr4rgf5h
youtube.com/watch?v=IBSAtBicBog
youtube.com/watch?v=dVfnd5r8bM0
youtube.com/watch?v=uY6r_rEvKtU
youtube.com/watch?v=cCuOlyMlJD0
clyp.it/wutfevk1
clyp.it/mzd54ch3
clyp.it/ypboaejd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

n

clyp.it/dr4rgf5h
ambient lo-fi folk

>Ableton tutorials
>open vid

What did he meant by this?

youtube.com/watch?v=IBSAtBicBog
youtube.com/watch?v=dVfnd5r8bM0
youtube.com/watch?v=uY6r_rEvKtU
youtube.com/watch?v=cCuOlyMlJD0

What's the cheapest way to lay down a drum line that doesn't sound like shit?

layer the shit out of it, pan hats and toms

Good samples

not him but where can i find good samples? Sick of the same ol' vengeance shit i've been using for the past 6 years

Have you guys used this program called Melodics?

It's pretty cool, it's like a Rockband-esque thing but for making beats on a midi pad. There are a few free tutorials, but it costs 10 bucks a month after that.

Where are good places to learn different but standard drumming patterns for various genres?

All that vengeance shit is just drums some other asshole already layered. If you want to farm some truly new sounding shit, then get into layering your own drums. Its the path to ultimate victory.

Maybe you use acoustic snare #569.wav as the body, and you layer some electronic drum machine hits on it, filling in the frequency ranges where the acoustic one is lacking. Maybe the 909 snare has that bassy thump that was missing from the acoustic one, and you filter everything out but that and 'graft it on' to the acoustic one. Maybe you layer the noisey tail of one snare onto the body of your main one. Take whats good from each layer and filter or EQ out the rest. Layer in time, but also in frequency.

The individual layers may be weak on their own, but together, create your ideal drum sound.

Shitty graphic for perspective.

Sorry I am new to /prod/, two more questions: 1) going through drum patterns is opening my eyes a lot to the structure of certain genres of songs I enjoy.

To start playing around with things, is it sufficient to lay down a beat and try some melodies and stuff over it? Obviously it won't lead to a real song or anything, but I really want to just jump in and experiment.

2) what is your guys' creative process? is it trial and error? do you come in with a melody/fleshed out idea already in your head?

sorry for plebbing it up

fuck these are all really good. in Civilization Funk did you do the bass yourself or sample it?

clyp.it/wutfevk1

any thoughts on this

>not him but where can i find good samples? Sick of the same ol' vengeance shit i've been using for the past 6 years

reddit drum kits

I used free Melodics and got a bunch of premium lessons for free when I got my mpd218. Honestly melodics is better than nothing but it won't teach you to finger drum organically. It's only good if you want to like, play a few samples from the pads or learn a few rhythms, yknow real generic "muh controllerism". What I mainly don't like about it is how the pads are always changing sounds around and it's never the same lay out.

I recommend you check out xpresspad's methods if you're really serious about becoming an actual finger drummer. The full main course is only 40$. I'm doing it and desu I love it. It feels like I'm learning to actually play an instrumment. The bigbang drums library that came with the mpd218 is damn good and I use it to practice the xpresspads lessons. I can tell this is gonna help a lot when I want to write percussion for a track.

Ps. here is a wip. this is one of the metal kits from the Big Bang drums library (pardon my shit mixing, most all hits are close to full velocity)
clyp.it/mzd54ch3

reminder

yes, every post you make is a reminder of your autism

Anyone here built a pc for audio production? Any guidelines?

at least 8gbs of ram, I got and i5 but I'm moving up to and i7. Get a like a 500gb SSD for programs and bootup and a 2tb for music/movies/project files/etc.Get decent GPU if you're running multiple displays.

Does anyone know how/if I can sync the arpeggiator/sequencer of the Novation Bass Station 2 with fl studio?

why not just sequence it from FL studio

Muh improv sessions

clyp.it/ypboaejd

First try at this specific genre of metal. Any crits would be greatly appreciated. Also I know my screams suck cocks, any tips on that would be appreciated as well.

>improv sessions
>from a sequencer or arpeggiator

>tfw procrastinating by blaming the daw

why am i such a beta?

>why am i such a beta?

Idk, why are you using FL Studio?

Because Ableton and any other DAW just look confusing as fuck

If you don't like scat don't bother with Ableton.

Start with melody first not with the percussion

then linux daw users are jacking off with their own shit

Fl Studio is more confusing than Ableton. Ableton neatly shows you everything on one screen. Whereas FL Studio has you juggling and moving hundreds of windows.

Worst UI, and I've used it for 6 years.

same, and I'll never use anything else

>worst DAW because you can't manage windows
Bet you don't even know what mono is