Why do people pretend to like classical?

why cant i into classical? the rhythms are so syncopated and it feels like absolutely nothing. i dont feel like im listening to music when i listen to beethoven playing piano it sounds so fake and phony.. made solely for the appeasement of the snobby bourgeoisie

keep in mind i'm into longwinded complex music like GYBE and Swans so i'm not plebeian by any means

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H7f7u3TbY84
youtube.com/watch?v=AQcK1BamWHg
youtube.com/watch?v=JugjlNdikAE
youtube.com/watch?v=p5favl2Qtx0
youtube.com/watch?v=AqdcnNYROLo
youtube.com/watch?v=rjQ7TxpMizc
youtube.com/watch?v=o2OaDJ6jnzI
youtube.com/watch?v=cm2w31C-WzY
youtube.com/watch?v=Gs0FVs74gT8
youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Og5aECH3Y&t=1762s
youtube.com/watch?v=g3k81__bwrM&t=67s
youtube.com/watch?v=gDpLeyVrgsg
youtu.be/zucBfXpCA6s
youtu.be/LdH1hSWGFGU
youtu.be/cEkTZ5zlGRw
youtu.be/t3217H8JppI
youtu.be/S-Xm7s9eGxU
youtu.be/liTSRH4fix4
youtu.be/mXBugKoo7L0
youtu.be/5itXYMkq1ds?list=PLqVc87JA2B53v1wEYuBEb2MgTfuK-6Kj0
youtube.com/watch?v=QzvOpiBL9hg
youtube.com/watch?v=vSmzyzEQ6Vk
youtube.com/watch?v=rEGOihjqO9w
orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/5816214138.html
orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/5855393724.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

longwinded complex music like GYBE and Swans
lmao

oh dont tell me you guys think you're above swans and godspeed.. they make 30 minute songs for fucks sake

>made solely for the appeasement of the snobby bourgeoisie

Because you fell for a meme ideology and it's perverted your objective viewpoint. Don't worry, there's plenty of "class conscious" artists these days you can circlejerk off to with your coffee shop friends, you clearly don't need snobby proletariat oppressing pre-20th century music in your life.

are you trying to say something?

I know this is bait but does knowledge of music/playing music have anything to do with liking classical?

there is a lot of classical senpai, and a lot of beethoven

why don't you try the first couple minutes of this
youtube.com/watch?v=H7f7u3TbY84

and of this
youtube.com/watch?v=AQcK1BamWHg

and see which one you like better. Maybe if you like GYBE style you would rather something big and orchestral

Classical music just means music that is passed down through compositions. It's very incestuous, and in fact there are actually only a few compositions that were shared around and altered very slightly.

Folk music suffers from similar problems. In fact, it's only around the advent of popular music (The Beatles) that artists really started to innovate and write new music.

The reason it's called popular music is because of the sheer population of people who became involved in music. It was the commercialization of music that allowed for this. Music was made to be sold rather than to be shared with specific people. That meant anyone could buy it and be influenced by it, and then make their own music. Instead of a few old men sharing century old compositions with each other, you had people all over the world contributing to music, developing a tapestry of sound. That's why you get such a diverse array of genres, from blues rock to indie rock.

A lot of confused plebs think they are somehow superior for listening to classical. I think it's the length of the songs that confuses them into thinking they are listening to something different each time, when in fact the tracks are mostly identical. Very few classical musicians even compose their own music, but in popular music you even get music from people who don't have access to studio-level production. There are a lot of lo-fi bedroom projects and garage bands.

>i'm into longwinded complex music like GYBE and Swans
is this bait?

> implying that because a song is lenghty it must be complex

this is the dumbest shit

I could record my tap for 30 minutes

>snobby bourgeoisie
Leftists get out, it's no wonder you guys have shit taste and no appreciation for music older than when you were in diapers, which wasn't long ago. I guarantee these are the types of fags that are always trying to say Kanye West is the David Bowie of this generation, and other autistic shit of that sort.

I once couldn't stand classical music, but somehow my moment came, now I can't listen to anything else. You just can't force yourself to liking something, you have to be patient until your brain is able to understand it. You couldn't let a child read Ulysses as well, but believe me, it's the most motivating music in existence, because it's so deep and rich.

Try this for example:
youtube.com/watch?v=JugjlNdikAE

or this
youtube.com/watch?v=p5favl2Qtx0

or even this
youtube.com/watch?v=AqdcnNYROLo

if you don't like it you may have to wait some years

>people are actually falling for this

>implying there aren't people on this board RIGHT NOW who are thinking this
Hownuru?

the reason why non-classicals are plebs is right there in your post. Beethoven worked all his life for his work and thought about one phrase for weeks, while in 'popular music' the media somehow managed to trick people into worshipping drug addicts that write songs in one hour. Not that I don't like pop music, but it's mostly inferior. (Brian Wilson, Frank Zappa and Steely Dan are the only exceptions that come to my mind)

Delete your account.

>the advent of popular music (The Beatles)

Yeah, but op's post was pretty clear bait

you got 12 people to respond, good b8

Not really.

>starts listening to classical
>sounds like boring movie score

wtf?

not same

It's well known that they were the first popular band. They influenced everyone, from pop rock to pop. Unlike many classical composers whose influence has generally not stood the test of time.

careful not to fall for it

I've always liked classical. Even as a wee lad I constantly enjoyed watching Disney's Fantasia over and over. It is just so much more impressive than some of the dumpster fire spewed out by popular artists nowadays. That MIDI video was super impressive. Anything else you would recommend?

>the advent of the Beatles made people write more interesting music

nigger what

Isn't classical fully focused on harmony rather than rhythm and melody? Why are you looking for rhythm in it ?

Classical is for Romance Movement plebs. Baroque listeners have patrictian taste.

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

Beethoven simply didn't have access to the resources popular music musicians have. There's only so much you can do with an acoustic orchestra. Just think of the array of sounds a guitar can make with pedals, it's not even a comparison. Pretty sure the guy was deaf (might have been Mosart, not sure), and it shows

And Beethoven is not really representative. Most classical musicians I know play other people's songs from ages ago, there's no innovation. Meanwhile I have at least 10 friends with solo bandcamp projects.

Than you're a lucky guy, I always wanted to be part of that world but eventually had to realize that I can't force myself. I'm very happy that I started to like it in the end, because now I've got plenty to listen to for my entire lifetime.

My favorites at the moment:

youtube.com/watch?v=rjQ7TxpMizc

youtube.com/watch?v=o2OaDJ6jnzI
(that last cadence and the way to it)

youtube.com/watch?v=cm2w31C-WzY
(nice long counterpoint part)

This bait is actually pretty funny. Most of the time it's just annoying

it's about all of these things, only that the rhythm isn't so plebish on the surface like played by a drum set

>Beethoven
>not popular on courts

Classical has always been a bit weird for me. On the rare occasion I actually sit down and listen to a piece, it all sounds very nice but something I can't quite put my finger on keeps me from being fully invested the way I could be in my usual favourite albums/genres. For instance, the Mendelssohn in was objectively nice to listen to, the way it sort of transitions from the brass backing the strings to the strings backing the brass around 5-6 minutes in was brilliant, but I wouldn't necessarily say I "enjoyed" it.

then it's either not your cup of tea or you're not ready for it. The enjoyment of classical music goes along with a certain degree of understanding. You like what you understand. Things that now seem blunt to you can sound make you extremely happy once you gained the necessary background. But maybe that's never going to be the case, it's for me like this in literature and (modern) art

Trying to compare the most complex and influential pieces of all time to modern music is like comparing a toddler to an adult. The adult works hard everyday and has gone through a lot of shit over the course of time. The toddler knows very little about his father except that he is old and boring. The toddler decides to do something more exciting like scribble stick figures on the wall for everyone to see. Eventually the toddler will grow up, complex like his father but still very different.

nice comparison, only that it's very sad that the toddler is nowadays more influential

>even mentioning the beatles
>one of the worst bands in existence

God I fucking hate this board

I know how you feel.

>why do people pretend to like classical?
>pretend
Countless people like and love classical. I am one of them.

The real question is why does OP pretend to be so ignorant. Surely no one can be this stupid?

>i'm into longwinded [alternative popular music] so I'm not plebeian by any means.
You're worse than regular plebs because you think you have good taste. You dont.

Composers make hour long pieces without batting an eye. Duration has nothing to do with your incomprehension of classical music.

I think the problem of classical music is that the most well known pieces are centuries old because at some point the music lost touch to the wider audience. The fact that concert halls all over the world mostly play old music makes this worse. It's to a certain degree the fault of the composers, who are too much locked up in there intellectuality. In movie scores popular orchestral music still lives on, but it's only a shallow copy of the old masters. I think this all happened because audio records were invented and everybody who could buy them has an opinion that matters.

>it's only around the advent of popular music that artists really started to innovate and write new music

literally what am i reading

>Listens to Schubert once
>Can't listen to anything else ever again
True story
>youtube.com/watch?v=Gs0FVs74gT8
>youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Og5aECH3Y&t=1762s
>youtube.com/watch?v=g3k81__bwrM&t=67s

>there are actually only a few compositions that were shared around and altered very slightly.
100% incorrect. Go read a book

Popular music, if anything has led to less innovation. Beatles copied many classical techniques, adding string quartet parts and brass band parts just to name a few examples. Popular music is made popular with marketing and image. The actual music is usually quite low quality.

>The reason it's called popular music is because of the sheer population of people who became involved in music
With marketing and a good image, anything can become popular. It has little to do with the actual quality of the thing. Look at tamagotchi or my little pony

>A lot of confused plebs think they are somehow superior for listening to classical.
Not true. Most people who listen to classical are either ex music students, or older people who are well read and cultured.
More accurate would be "A lot of confused plebs think they are somehow superior for listening to popular music.", which is proven by your entire post.

>mfw I can no longer discern whether if the thread is bait or that the OP is actually this stupid

Not really into Swans but Cmon bruh, GYBE is pretty good. I also like classical music

bump for Schubert 9/2
Best Symphony

The Beatles were heavily influenced by classical music.
Checkmate plebiaens.

All popular music essentially uses the basic building blocks laid out by classical composers, they just dont do anything advanced with it, never use extended harmony, large scale forms, counterpoint, polyphony, polyrhythms, or even harsh dissonance. Classical has, and always will be at the forefront of musical development. Popular music tends to lag 100+ years behind. Dont let the synthesizers or electric guitars put you off, the actual music is extremely basic.

Plus classical composers pioneered the use of synthesizers in the late 50s.

only if you're ready for it...

is this copypasta?

can I make it copy pasta?

yeah it's really great.

A real symphonic gem that I like at the moment and that is badly underrated

youtube.com/watch?v=gDpLeyVrgsg

That moment in the end when this odd note is resolved in the modulation is heaven

It was my god-given purpose to be ready.

Classical music sounds lovely, but I do think it was meant to be continual background music. It's not meant to sit to listen to directly like a 4 minute track.
and idc what anyone says, Baroque music is awesome

then god must like you alot

In Schubert's 9th I ranked mov. 1 > 2 > 4 > 3

Beethoven's 8th is a meme symphony. I like the first movement it's very catchy but there's really not much there imo. Especially when surrounded by 7 and 9

this may be true to some extent for the vast majority of composers, but the artists whose names are still known today made music that you couldn't very well listen to, esp Beethoven

Second movement of the 8th, rather

>le classical is background music.
worst meme.

A lot of classical music uses the same structure as modern music. Certain bands you guys all love to jerk off all the time are essentially classical music with non-classical instruments. And

I have to disagree, the 8th is great and absolutely underrated. Beethoven liked it very much and was angry that it didn't get accepted. The 8th lives of it musical wit and not so much of the great emotions the other symphonies contain. (esp mov 1 and 4)

Anyone who doesn't like any "classical" music and thinks it's all one big act put on by pseudo-intellectuals to make themselves seem smarter hasn't listened to enough classical, and has only ever talked about classical music with shallow assholes.

There's a symphony/composer out there for everyone. It's not like, if you hate a few classical songs, you have to hate them all: believe it or not classical has as many styles as any other genre, if not more. So, if you love Madvillain but hate Chief Keef (despite them being in the same broad genre of hip hop), you can rest assured that there's classical music out there that you like.

Here are some of my favorites, not saying you'll like them all but it's worth a shot to start:
youtu.be/zucBfXpCA6s
youtu.be/LdH1hSWGFGU
youtu.be/cEkTZ5zlGRw
youtu.be/t3217H8JppI (fun fact about this one, Bakunin was a staunch anarchist, and he reportedly jumped on stage after a performance of Beethoven's 9th and said "Everything will pass, and the world will perish but the Ninth Symphony will remain.”
youtu.be/S-Xm7s9eGxU
youtu.be/liTSRH4fix4
youtu.be/mXBugKoo7L0
youtu.be/5itXYMkq1ds?list=PLqVc87JA2B53v1wEYuBEb2MgTfuK-6Kj0
That last one linked you to my music playlist so feel free to look around for more classical I may have added in there. Fair warning though it's unfiltered shit so probably not worth any searching.

And?

I feel the complete opposite. To me, listening to a large-scale classical work is like watching a film. It requires attention in order to make connections that appear throughout the piece. Popular music can be enjoyed in the background because of its relatively simple structure (typically) and steady beat.

see

5:40 is the crucial point

And I was going to say something but I forgot what I was going to say.

yeah but that's only because those composers survived. In the classical era music was mostly composed for a certain event and discarded afterwards. This changed with Beethoven

This is basically true honestly

The only thing really "new" is rap and even then you can find echoes of that throughout history

Doesn't "echoes" imply it happened afterwards?

I guess you're right

I mean, I fucked up my wording but I mean there is precedent for it

I'd feel it were ridiculous if there wasn't

Idk I just can't get into it
Maybe you can see what I like
4:40 - 5:30 in mov. 1
>youtube.com/watch?v=Gs0FVs74gT8
The violas and cello are echoing back and forth the same little theme, the bass and cello are doing a repeated theme, the violins are plucking along, and the trumbone are looking for the right key, and once they find it, it clicks and the fog clears.

and 9:29 of the second movement is my favorite part, heavenly. It's alluded to earlier in the movement at 3:15 with a more sad and hollowed out version that's brough to full light later on. It's surrounded by the marching bass and cello tune which I love, and the screeching violin response that evolves over time.
>youtube.com/watch?v=QzvOpiBL9hg

Yeah what you said was accurate I was just being nitpicky for whatever reason

I think rap music needs samples and therefore audio recording, that's why it only emerged in the last century. I couldn't imagine anyone raping to baroque instrumental music

I'm not pretending. I can't explain it. I don't like a lot of classical but every month or so I find a piece that is near orgasmic.

>keep in mind i'm into longwinded complex music like GYBE and Swans so i'm not plebeian by any means

And that is what it feels like. For me, listening to The Seer is no different.

yeah I like that symphony a lot too and especially the parts that you noted. But I'm a musician and hear the music mostly with the score before my eyes and Beethoven has such talent to form his works with so few notes.

Ever noticed how the reprise in 8/1 emerges in the double basses at 6:00?
youtube.com/watch?v=vSmzyzEQ6Vk
The way to the reprise is incredible, too

The second mov of the Schubert symphony is my favorite moment in Schubert orchestral music, that counterpoint is just great

Honestly I don't know too much about music theory. I've only been listening to classical for about a year and a half but it's basically all I've been listening too. I'm trying to figure out why I like certain pieces and why I have an affinity toward Schubert. I of course love a ton of Beethoven pieces, 5/1, 5/2, 6/1, 6/2, 7/1, 7/2, 3rd piano concerto 1st mov., and plenty of his piano sonatas, but a really strong determinant for me I think is whether or not I like the particular melodic theme used in that movement. More often then not I just find myself cringing at a certain melody and begging for it to transform into something I like. I think Beethoven 8 for the most part is too fanfare for me, it's part of the reason I'm not crazy about the 3rd and 4th movements of Schubert's 9th.

I've only been listening to classical music for about 3 years myself and I remember hating Beethoven for quite the same reasons, but when I started liking the first pieces I realized that it only was a matter of time until I liked the parts that I didn't like first. You can't force it either, you just have to wait until it kicks in, but eventually it will because all that he did is great. Conductors like Bernstein or Furtwaengler wouldn't waste their lives on him otherwise. But if you don't like it now, don't listen to it and ask yourself 'man, what's the fuzz about', that's no good.

On the other hand there are still things I don't understand yet, like the late quartets. Maybe sometime I will like them too, but for now it just doesn't appeal to me.

>made solely for the appeasement of the snobby bourgeoisie
The Bolsheviks opened up the opera houses and concert halls to everyone, and commissioned and supported countless Classical works, especially after the end of the NEP.

Music belongs to everybody. Stressing cultural differences between classes is a critical part of how bourgeois ideology functions. Read theory you classcuck.

Also did no one ITT mention Rachmaninoff?
youtube.com/watch?v=rEGOihjqO9w

>Also did no one ITT mention Rachmaninoff?
Hopefully because other people have taste.

don't say that, he's not bad, although he's not a must in a classical thread

>I couldn't imagine anyone raping to baroque instrumental music
>raping
I could

Fedora: The Thread

Doesn't mean they are complex

What do you mean by "popular music"?

>never use extended harmony, large scale forms, counterpoint, polyphony, polyrhythms, or even harsh dissonance
All these elements can be found in non-classical music. Also, you spelled "plebeians" wrong. What an ignorant post.

i'm not big on classical either op unless there's intense piano or psychotic violin/cello

>diverse array of genres
>from blues rock to indie rock

>oh dont tell me you guys think you're above swans and godspeed.. they make 30 minute songs for fucks sake
yeah 30 minutes of emotionless drivel completely dependent on lyrics to set the mood and pace of every song

Did ypu not at any point stop to think you were taking obvious bait?

I can't find the classical general, atleast can anyone tell me if these used pianos look decent

orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/5816214138.html

orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/5855393724.html

I'll give you some of that stuff, but a lot of popular music has used more advanced musical concepts.

And popular music has tons of polyrhythms, even top 40 stuff

He's saying you don't know what you're talking about because of your laughable characterization of "classical"
you just don't understand the aesthetic, probably because you've never played in an ensemble, or never really gave any effort to listen to classical music

*toccatta and fugue plays*

>lyrics
>GYBE

pick 1