Hey Sup Forums can an airplane take off from a treadmill

hey Sup Forums can an airplane take off from a treadmill

You fucking cunt. Of course it can't planes don't fit on treadmills.

exPLANE my image then fgt

christ
/thread

No because it's wings wouldn't fit through

what's a plane without wings called ?

a car?

The wings wouldn't be able to generate lift.

VTOL perhaps...

excellent question

i think the turbines would make but i am not sure

No relative motion between wings and surrounding air. My conclusion: this Airplane doesn't lift.

valid point m8

Plane's generate lift from air passing around the airfoil. If it's on a treadmill you it won't receive any wind resistance because it wont move.

no it can't because it needs speed relativ to the surouding air, which is not the case on a treadmill.

The flaw in this line of logic is that the engines propelling an airplane forward aren't linked to the wheels, therefore the movement of the wheels is irrelevant.

but.. an airplane is not propelled by it's wheels but by pushing air with the engines/prop

so yes, the airplane will just go forwards and crash when it falls off the threadmill

Their is no movement over the wings, those no lift

Planes don't take off because their wheels are turning fast, you faggot, they take off because the air is moving over their wings fast enough to create lift. You want to see a stationary plane fly, sit it in front of a fan. Dumb ass. Learn to science.

A giant dildo

Hory sheet haven't seen one of these threads in months

No, thats only half of the mechanics involved.

plane engine (jet or otherwise) powers a plane through air movement, the wheels are free spinning. If you had a treadmill as long as a runway it would takeoff,wheel speed is not relative to air speed

the turbines would break off the wings if you give them too much power - they would fly away without the plane

The wings would break as soon as it lifts off cause of the vertical pillars on the treadmill ya dingus. Dumb question.

stop fat shaming aircraft, if the plane is comfortable in his/her body then he/she shouldn't need to get on a treadmill to conform to your standards.

even without the pillars on the treadmill

A shitty bus?

If the treadmill constantly matched the thrust of the engines so that the plane was stationary, no.

holy shit how did I miss that thread?

If the treadmill suddenly stopped and the plane remained at its speed it would take off very badly, prolly crash.

if the treadmill matches plane it wont go anywhere.

kek

my wife has gained a bit of weight through the years so if yall decide to attempt this can i borrow the treadmill when you are done..

It can take off but the tires would be fucked

matched the thrust of the engines ehehe

If the plane were going the same speed as the treadmill it would generate lift , and once the plane is off the treadmill It could possibly fly

if the wheels are free to spin over the moving treadmill, then it shouldn't require that much extra thrust to take off (not accounting for friction)

fuck i solved it will report in 10 minutes with scienitific proof

If it was big enough and wasn't moving maybe but I doubt it

No because airplanes don't fit on treadmills dip shit.

No it wouldn't the treadmill doesnt move the air under the plane's wings, so there would be no lift.

CFII flight instructor here... the jets would be powerful enough to overcome the backwards movement of the treadmill, but wouldn't actually take off because your gay

That's not how aerodynamics work. Planes fly by moving forward causing air to pass rapidly under its wings, resulting in lift.
The treadmill does not move the air above it significantly, so while the plane's wheels would be rolling, the air under its wings moves no faster, so there would be no lift generated.

This is not a difficult problem.

CFII again just realied there are kids on here who would like to know the real answer. the jets would overcome the backwards movement, essentially the friction of the wheels and then some, but wouldn't take off until there was air flow over the wings.... so the wings would hit the sides... if you put a powerful fan in front of it I guess it could take off and then bank left or right, but would potentially stall when outside of the fan's influence. you niggerfaggots

look up bourneulli's principle (spelling?) if you want the details of how it works.

I think in this case it was assumed that the treadmill counteracted the plane's forward movement exactly, for the purposes of the thought experiment

bitchnugget

im back, imagine you are in a car thats driving fast and you put out your hand out of the window so you can feel how the air lifts your hand up. now image you are in a car thats on a dyno so that only the wheels are moving. now if you put out your hand out of the window what will happen? nothing

You're a mongolian. Simply put a plane would take off if the treadmill was long enough to reach the correct airspeed.

Troll on, tard hero

we solved it excellent work gentlemen

maybe if the treadmill was going so fast that the action of the ground moving underneath actually generated wind, eventually the plane would.

Interesting thought experiment though, user.