Hardwired...To Self-Destruct (Leaked Album, First Listen)

It's not as thrashy as I thought it was going to be, given the structure of the three singles out but I'm not really hating it so far. It has some bluesy Load vibes to it at times and I can definitely see how they reformatted this album's sound early on, with most of the songs seeming like they are from a different album.

I can't figure out why the main 12 songs needed to be on two discs though...that baffles me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=opPV1-IUmGw
youtube.com/watch?v=ZChXK2rdr9M
youtube.com/watch?v=IYaRQKF0mpk
youtube.com/watch?v=tUVr2xnGIEo
youtube.com/watch?v=NbLMrce7OJI
youtube.com/watch?v=QlF4rhAbwyc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

WE'RE SO FUCKED

Confusion sounds like they are ripping themselves off, almost identical chord progression from the album Ride the Lightning.

Halo is a fantastic song.

link for leak?

Torrent

Whaddiya know, it worked...

straight to halo on fire bud

Spit Out the Bone is fucking great. A lot of the tracks are very forgettable though. I like the overall feel to it, it is way better structurally and musically compared to Death Magnetic.

It's like they mashed The Black Album with Load for most of it.

it's the top search on Pirate Bay..takes three seconds to find you stupid fuck

At the moment I'm liking:

Halo
Spit
Revenge
Now that we're dead

I still can't figure out why the fuck this was spread out on two discs. I like Revenge too. I just wish they (the songs) were a bit more diverse...

I think it was just a marketing thing or maybe a stylistic choice. There's quite a difference musically between the two discs.

Yeah I'm not too sure.. I have heard something about potential loss of quality after 75ish minutes.

But who knows, I don't really care to be honest.

Hmm.. I don't think it's as bad as DM regarding diversity. It is their most diverse in a long time.

>There's quite a difference musically between the two discs.
I suppose you could chalk it up to this, yeah. I am going more with it being a marketing gimmick to buy it on a vinyl.

>god tier
Spit out the Bone, Halo on Fire
>great tier
Moth into Flame, Dream No More
>good tier
Now That We're Dead, Atlas Rise, Am I Savage
>okay tier
Confusion, Hardwired, Here Comes Revenge
>bad tier
ManUNkind, Murder One

>I have heard something about potential loss of quality after 75ish minutes.
I don't think that is a real concern with modern CD compression now, most Wal-Mart CD-'s can hold up to like an hour without much loss of quality.
>It is their most diverse in a long time.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking...though this means that the more die-hard fans probably won't like it is as much. But I think everything flows well and the songs are pretty decent overall. The production value also is better than Death Magnetic.

Honestly, this is best we are going to get from here on out...

You didn't like Murder One? The Lemmy tribute??

>everyone loves Halo on Fire
Why...? Seriously.

Not that I outright didn't like it but I think it pales in comparison to the rest of the album

Solo's pretty good and I like the bouncy, bluesy sound of the verses, but it's kind of basic

Yeah it did come off as basic.

I am pretty surprised that this whole album is as bluesy at it is tbqhfamalamadingdong. I thought it would be faster and more hard line thrash than this.

Spit out the bone is simple.

Halo has a lot more going on

>Spit out the bone is simple.
I disagree with this, and simple doesn't make it bad. As an album closer, it's great. I like the ferocity in his voice on it too.

Oh i love the song too! It has some awesome riffs.

I just feel Halo is more "complex" and flows much better.

i dunno.. I'm not a musician.. I think its Hets vocals and phrasing that make it so good for me

Not trying to sound wanky! I'm not one of those fans.

I just love the heavy intro to halo and how it breaks down to the verse... just so different. I dunno. It's fucking amazing to my ears

So, is it good?

It is DEFINITELY "good".

I would say it's a great album.

Yeah, I love it. It's a little more like the Black Album/Load than the singles would have you believe, but that helps it feel genuine. The guys are making the kind of music they want to make, not the kind of music their fans will like them for.

well half of them anyway...

it sounds like 95% hetfield and ulrich.. aside from spit out the bone, that was just your life and my apocalypse were better thrash songs than anything on this album

>tfw liked murder one more than spit out the bone
and i'm not saying murder one is good, but i thought spit out the bone was shit

Most of this album is unlistenable garbage, taking too closely after Death Magnetic. I'm not even being a goddamned snot about this; Metallica's been my "favorite band" for twenty years, and I can't fucking stand these last two albums.

Shit thing is, I can't even tell you why. Not exactly. As much as I hate to admit it, I just think James' songwriting is driving me away. I can't put up with this weak rhyming he's doing lately, knowing that he's capable of something so much better.

Halo on Fire is possibly the worst offender for this and I had to skip the song the first play-through because of that fucking "wooord, word, blah blah blah word" "rhyme" schematic he was doing.

Okay. Okay, let's try to be positive.

Dream No More sounds like some kind of Ozzy mashup. The lyrics are okay. Neat song.

Atlas, Rise! is a nice song, but is pretty obviously a Death Magnetic B side.

The vocal harmonies in Moth Into Flame are nice. Also more at home on Death Magnetic.

Spit Out The Bone is one of very few sparks of hope on this album. I don't really like the lyrical melody, but whatever. It's a step in the right direction (any direction away from Death Magnetic).

The best song on the album is Now That We're Dead, in my opinion - which, I know is probably considered shit by a lot of people already. ReLoad was my first album, and the songs like Fixxxer, I Disappear and Unforgiven II are generally what I consider to "be Metallica", so take all this as you will (or don't).

I'll look forward to the next album, but if I have to wait another eight or ten years, I could well get hit by a bus before then.

>I can't even tell you why
Honestly you just sound like you're trying too hard to be cynical about it. The album's getting positive reception all over the place.

If at this stage you don't like what Metallica's doing, it might just be as simple as you not liking the kind of music they make now. They've done everything that can be expected of them to win guys like you over.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I really want to be positive about this album. I wanted to like it, but I guess there's just nothing to distinguish it from Death Magnetic.

I guess it feels like they can either thrash on their guitars, or sing a decent song, and there's no intermixing.

Yeah, it's getting great reviews; but as a counter-point, I'd say that the Hardwired title track is being hailed as some sort of Second Coming, and it's literal poprock music garbage. I like to imagine James giggling to himself saying "teehee, I said the F- word..!" You can't convince anyone of this though, because they're too busy creaming themselves because the bridge riff has some faint resemblance to Metal Militia and everyone's yelling about how this means "they're back!!!1".

memba starwars

>it's literal poprock music garbage
You've got a very skewed perspective of music 2bh

This is pop rock:

youtube.com/watch?v=opPV1-IUmGw

I don't really think you can make a case for Hardwired sounding anything like that.

:^)

Pop rock, pop hard rock, pop metal, whatever you want to call a very safe song with some super edgy curse words thrown in to generate static on the radio stations.

They're literally the most popular metal band in the world, surely everything they've ever done is 'pop' technically. I don't really think it's edgy either, they're obviously having fun with it.

i bet James is playing that last solo on Halo

it's ok, but for a band like Metallica just seems extremelly uninspired and generic

Moth, Bone & Halo are the best

metallica is shit

I liked it. No classic songs here, but seems like a return to form. Imagine the simpsons putting out a season 10 quality episode now. It would be shit if we were only in season five, but after years of crap, a little above mediocrity is welcome.

I don't understand the comparison to death magnetic, the style is very different, the production, the guitar tones, the drumming, etc. The solos on this one are interesting and even good at times, Death magnetic barely had any and they were boring.

It's probably Metallica's best since the black album or even and justice for all.

We're so fucked
Shit outta luck

>Honestly, this is best we are going to get from here on out...
Everyone thought the same thing when Death Magnetic came out, user. I'm not saying to be optimistic for future Metallica releases, but they could surprise us again.

well, sure it's better than Lulu. but I don't know why, they sound to me like a tribute band. It's like listening metallica trying to be metallica

Lulu is probably their best album. It's a top pleb filter too.

lowest bait I have seen. really.
I'll assume that you are serious and correct myself. what I understand for metallica is Kill'em all, master of puppets, ride the lightnin...
so, yeah, lulu is horseshit

>pleb filter
>what I understand for metallica is Kill'em all, master of puppets, ride the lightnin...
>lulu is horseshit
yeah, pleb filter

>master
>good album
fuck you

>fuck you
>no reading and comprehension skills whatsoever

intended for

>Master of puppets
>bad album

easy on me, Sup Forums. I don't come here usually and this kind of autism is something I can't handle

its a bad album, has its highs but overall. no thanks.

I'll admit I prefer other albums (kill'em all, ride the lightning) over master. but I don't see it as a bad album. I also prefer master over lulu or st anger

Whyel and sulivan king remix is good

in the end music is like colors we can argue green is superior to blue, but we are all different and that's what make it fun.

in my world i dont like it. but ya is better than other albums.

on topic, sounds like Death magnetic 2

Lars seems to have absorbed Kirk's talent; very solid drumming, Hammett barely turns up, and I wonder how many of the good solos in this are James. Feels like Ride/Magnetic/Load mashed into one with some of Justice's progressiveness. Solid release.
Spit Out The Bone is worth the second disc, which drags a little, but a lesser band would have edited down twelve tracks to the best eight. [Probably first disc in entirety, Here Comes Revenge Or Am I Savage, and Spit out the Bone]

All in all 8/10. A worthy reclaimation of Metallica's throne, but little expansion into new territory.

The standard edition cover is also awful, vinyl and collector's is far better composition.

Actually, it was good

>songs like Fixxxer, I Disappear and Unforgiven II are generally what I consider to "be Metallica"
This is bait, right?

Thanks "MobileDecay"

>Master of Puppets, regarded as the greatest Metallica album
>is a bad album
I don't come to this board often, but is this the type of Aspergers I am going to get here?

radios magazines say so?
i dont give a fuck. music is about what you like and i dont like that pop album.

please dont come anymore.

>please dont come anymore.
This is my thread you hugbox faggot. I'll go where I please.

Please explain to me how a staple Metallica record, that was one of the essential reasons for their blowup, their highest selling record and beloved by fucking millions of people for the last near 30 years (while being considered THE Metallica sound) is a bad album...?

Back up your opinion, faggot.

>pop album
You have to be certifiably retarded to think that Master of Puppets is """""pop"""""

Please tell me you don't believe that.

look dude, if everyone like it you like it? is that the way you work?

i can understand it.

im just triggering this fucker :3

>if everyone like it you like it? is that the way you work?
You could just delve into an actual criticism...
>im just triggering this fucker :3
OH HAHA WE SAID DUM DUM THINGS ON DA INTERNETS FOR LE EBIN UPDOOTS!

If you don't have an actual criticism, then you can just fucking leave, kiddo.

qt kino

youtube.com/watch?v=ZChXK2rdr9M

I think it's pretty cool that they are doing music videos for every song.

I really like this song

and you baited.
>If you don't have an actual criticism...
i was trying to, but it seems you suck Metallica's dick too hard.

I had high hopes on the album, from what i listened it's death magnetic 2.0 that's ok for the fans i guess. it could be worst.

>and you baited.
That's not what baited means.
>was trying to, but it seems you suck Metallica's dick too hard.
It's "sucking Metallica's dick" to say that Master of Puppets is a good album? Are you fucking retarded? Not everyone gets off to just being contrarian for no reason.
>I had high hopes on the album, from what i listened it's death magnetic 2.0 that's ok for the fans i guess. it could be worst.
Good for you, but the question was about you offering up constructive criticism to explain why you feel Master of Puppets is a bad album.

Which I'm still waiting for...

>If you don't have an actual criticism...
This wasn't bait, autismo.

my problem with a lot of these songs is that they feel very riff-salady and bloated with shit thrown in at random that doesn't make much structural sense. spit out the bone does not need to be over 7 minutes long for what it is. if you cut out their acoustic intros fight fire with fire and battery are both 4 minutes long and every riff feels like it serves a purpose whether its conveying the themes in the lyrics of a particular section, transitioning in and out of a section, building tension, changing the mood, etc. this is something old metallica did extremely well and has been kind of lost in the shuffle nowadays. the riffs and vocals also used to be very interconnected and complimentary to one another, whereas a song like "spit out the bone" has long sections of just tremolo picking with james shouting the (very generic for metallica in my opinion, i believe "the god the failed" has a similar one at one point and a lot of other songs on hardwired feel like they have extremely similar vocal melodies with one another) vocal melody over it with little consideration paid to how it relates to what's happening in the guitar.

to drive my point home take a song like disposable heroes

youtube.com/watch?v=IYaRQKF0mpk

this song is a good example of the kind of skill metallica used to have that i feel they're lacking in nowadays. there are three distinct "main" riffs that each serve a purpose in telling the three different perspectives of the song: the soldier down in the field, the narrator overlooking the whole battle, and the authority figure towering above them and sending them to die. each riff ratchets up or brings down the tension and reflects the appropriate mood and notice how after two of these three riffs are introduced in the intro they are changed up harmonically to fit with the vocals and add variation. i have a lot more i want to say but ran out of room so tl;dr SOtB etc doesn't do a lot of the things metallica used to do so effectively

this is in addition to the terrible production, kirk's shitty soloing (the solo in disposable heroes is great, explores a few different ideas and the entire section does a great job of giving a sense of finality to the last verse of the song) etc. hardwired just isn't a good album for me at all.

>addition to the terrible production
Hardwired doesn't really have bad production though...

it does. drums are obnoxiously loud, nothing has any character, all songs sound flat with no sense of dynamics, it feels like beyond magnetic but beyond magnetic had an excuse because they were basically demos

Disposable Heroes has some sweet cymbal chokes, and one of the ony times I can remember Lars using the ride cymbal.

>drums are obnoxiously loud
As a drummer, I'll agree that the percussion isn't mixed well.
>all songs sound flat with no sense of dynamics
What format are you listening? It's not really that flat. Things like "character" and "dynamics" aren't production value terms in and of themselves. Do you mean the dynamics in the MIX? Again, it's not objectively bad. Maybe a bit too processed, but I have a CD rip, I have no idea how much was compromised in downloading this.

more meme videos

How is this a meme?

wtf it's actually good.

maybe a fairer comparison considering what they were probably going for is damage inc but it's even less favorable: youtube.com/watch?v=NbLMrce7OJI

exempting the intro piece the song itself is only about 3:30 and contains far more creativity and thoughtful use of musical ideas than spit out the bone does. of special note are the vocals, i love how the riff at 3:15 implies the vocal melody that comes after it and is pretty much identical at "we know just where you come from". it's baffling to me that metallica were able to write songs this good when they were extremely intoxicated kids but can't do it now

Welcome to Sup Forums 2016. Every single thing is a meme. This is not hyperbole. Everything you say will be called a meme by someone.

>. it's baffling to me that metallica were able to write songs this good when they were extremely intoxicated kids
Drugs, man. Drugs and talent. Their age had nothing to do with it.

YEAH!

OOOOOOOOOH

YEEE

HAAAA

Did you even listenend to unforgiven 3?

>The solos on this one are interesting and even good at times, Death magnetic barely had any and they were boring.
2/10 troll

Do you think Lars ever teases Kirk about not being able to admit that he's seriously balding?

Lars isn't any authority on style. Mother fucker is fat dad couch potato mode.

those last two minutes my dude, boner inducing

>metallica pretends to be mayhem and james is Dead

top kek lads

My expectations for Hardwired... To Self-Destruct were pretty low going into but I have to say I'm impressed. I'd say it's on par with Death Magnetic. I liked the long, guitar solo filled songs on DM and the lyrics were a bit better in my opinion but the production is so much better on Hardwired and it has more memorable riffs.

who is giving them horrible production advice? black album, death magnetic, and this sounds so much fucking better at 1.25 speed

I wasn't too imressed at first, but this album definitely grows on you. I think it'll be recieved quite well within few months. Kirk very disappointing desu though, and the songs do sound better when sped up a bit.

metallica post justice always sounds weird at first and then grows on you.

>who is giving them horrible production advice?
Nobody anymore, it's their own label.

How is that user's opinion about lackluster solos a troll?

youtube.com/watch?v=QlF4rhAbwyc

new vid up

Keep bumping this thread so we can get all the music videos up for discussion.