Does it bother anyone else that we have no idea why we exist? Think about it...

Does it bother anyone else that we have no idea why we exist? Think about it. Since the dawn of time we've been questioning our existence and still have no answers. What's the purpose of life? If the laws of the universe allows life then there has to be a purpose to why life exist. Maybe it's something that the human brain can never comprehend.. what's your theories to our existence Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Xaj407ofjNE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Either god created us, or we just happened, and either seems pretty fucked

Why do we need a purpose/reason to exist? I don't think just because we exist means there necessarily has to be a reason why. Things just happen, and can be the way they are for no larger philosophical reason. Why is the sky the color blue? Theres the science behind it but there is no larger reason as to why it specifically had to be blue and not any other color. Maybe we should view our existence that way as well. It is what we make of it, nothing more and nothing less - but there is no fundamental meaning to life.

Allow me to point out a flaw with your argument.
You might think that because the big bang resulted in this conversation, some force or being must have created it for the express purpose of your existence. This is vanity. No, just because life exists does not mean their is a higher purpose.

l think it's something that our brain is just unable to learn. If there's a cause there must be an effect. But maybe there's something more than that....

Literally, it bothers me everyday that first we dont know, and second that nobody seems to care

Consider the following. There is no god. Dealwithit.jpg

to be or not to be?
i think, therefore i am.

just pick something to believe in user. ull be fine.

Terrible advice. Belief is defined as a state of mind in which evidence is treated with disregard.

Also, you have no reason to expect that you'll be fine.

sorry user, you cant just make up definitions for words.

I never really cared about it until recently.. and now it consumes my mind..

If you can't give yourself a purpose than you're wasting your life

Why does it need an answer? And what if there is no answer?

life is just another level of complexity
there is no reason

you have no reason to NOT expect that youll be fine.

it all comes down to the attitude if you want to be negative and expect life wont be find then go ahead and do that with your life.

i on the other hand wiill expect everything to turn out great!

I just like hearing other's theories to why everything happened.

I'm a deist. I believe that some kind of high power or force that science will never be able to comprehend created the universe and humanity. I also believe it doesn't give a shit. No I can't prove any of this, but I'd rather believe in something and have death insurance than be a fedora tipping atheist faggot.

My definition is the same as yours but mine also accounts for popular connotation while communicating the same meaning with fewer words. You can just "accept" that or you can explain very carefully explain how belief is not, in fact, a state of mind in which evidence is treated with disregard.

Purely coincedental. Move on bro.

since there's no free will life's already determined for ya

/thread

>>rather believe in something than be an athiest
You're more concerned with the appropriated reward for group allignment than you are with knowledge and for that you should kill yourself.

There is a purpose yes. But not from the outside, from the inside.

We are a step in brains and consciousness trying to evolve.

Which is why everyone should practice meditation.

Yeah you just do that you get fucking cake in the sky forever when youre dead so why bother being anything but a piece of shit while you're alive

I think we're here to help the universe experience itself.

>I definitely know for sure that god doesn't exist haha I'm so smart I have KNOWLEDGE !

You're a complete and utter total faggot and should go back to watching Banana boy fuck himself in the ass and pour hot oil on his cock.

We are the universe and we are trying to figure out what created us.

Here's a theory for ya. The big bang is only an explosion relative to us. Mathematically certain, for every black hole there is a white hole. I propose our entire universe and all of the matter within it was born as a blackhole in some other dimention where matter is more available for consumption than what we could imagine. Our universe is a fart and this alternate universe that contains our mother (black) hole is more like a soup.

My gut tells me that the human brain can't comprehend most of the universe. I don't think there really has to be a purpose for our existence but I always like what Carl Sagan said

youtube.com/watch?v=Xaj407ofjNE

Hey buddy stick around! It gets better. Consider the following. You're upset.

1. our minds may be able to comprehend it, they may not.
so what is the point, we need to treat life with more urgency, if god created us in his image then with our superior intelligence we should use that to create amazing technology and just generally promote the betterment of mankind
-mdm

Why does it matter what created us? You might come up with a name for that creator - then what? Then you've got a name in a book naming that entity. So what? How would life change? It would be a word on paper. You'll never witness creation or have true contact with the creation. Thus that "knowledge" just remains a name on paper. You can write down a name on paper right now and there you go... Who cares?

We're not the universe. We are one small part of the infinitely expanding universe.

No you're just a pessimistic faggot because your life is shit. Stop trying to spread your negativity upon others. If you're so mad slit your wrists already.

>infinitely expanding universe
You don't know this.

Heres a thought. At the smallest level of particles, subatomic particles like neutrinos will fly through 10000 light years of lead and never bump into any matter. Thats because relative to the size of the neutron, a vast majority of the space in front of it is completely unimposed by matter. The area between the atoms which assemble lead would look like thin air to a neutrino and make up roughly 99.99% of the volume within what we observe as a solid.

This. The reason life exists can probably be explained by matter/energy distribution in our universe and enthropy and more fundamentally the simplest laws of nature we can hope to someday understand. That, however, doesn't mean that life itself has to have a reason or a goal (apart from the usual evolutionary explanations).

It's a bit sad, yet hugely comforting IMO.

The reason for the existence of a sentient, experiencing self is of course a different matter. I've always been interested in the evolutionary meaning of conciousness, but all the phenomenological and ontological 'research' in the world still can't explain why, how and when.

thinking does not equate being though

actually, our universe is closed

and it is contracting which means
time is moving backwards.

Okay so now use the same image of the speck flying through a rock like a spaceship between stars and imagine that instead of lead atoms they are universes and instead of a neutrino that's you. All of existence? It's much bigger than most people let on.

That's the problem with humans. You keep finding a reason higher than the obvious true answer: to pass on your genetics. That's it. No "space exploration", no "tall monuments". Searching for answers only raises infinite questions. You are born to support your habitat, the earth, and to pass on genetics, enjoying the simplicity of life itself. That's why the first sin was eating from the tree of knowledge. It was a metaphor. Seeking higher places only leads to chaos and more sin due to the confusion that the ego brings.

"If there is a cause there must be an effects".

Nope, this is a major flaw in human knowledge and learning, and it's the reason religion exists.

Just accept something are, they just are.
Big bang, our existence, whatever, it just is. No need to find a cause.

Because shit happens.

I recently learned that some inferior apes like gibbons engage regularly in play that mimics the actions of what appears to be drunkenness. They close their eyes, raise their hands above their heads and spin around. I connected it to this theory that human conciousness is a result of the consumption of psychedelic mushrooms, which act both as a performance enhancer and a recreational drug. Human society may have developed the first cultivation techniques in the early hominid years.

Excuse me?

>If the laws of the universe allows life then there has to be a purpose to why life exist

this is bait, isn't it?

there is a reason, you just aren't privy to it.
dealwithit.

At least the bait has the potential to start a discussion.

Notice how i said potential because there's no discussion happening just adamant refusals and claims

Link? Explanation? Ken M.?

Right its a metaphor for how searching for knowledge is bad. Always remember to keep your head down and your feet moving! Your god smiles when you enjoy your place. You belong in your place.

It's simple, we are part of this planet, in the grand scheme of things we are really just energy transporters, we are meant to breed and perpetuate this machine.

I think your place might be the 4th grade, buddy

It's like you're a ribosome in human form. Why dont you just carru that fat sack of shit you call energy to the nearest infertile soil and make yourself useful already

Nah it doesn't bother me. It's a fucking pointless question. We are. That's it. Quit letting small details be big headaches.

That theory is at least interesting and not totally unplausible. Psychedels have some really amazing effects on your feeling of seld and conciousness overall. I suppose there are no papers on it? (used to study evolution at undergrad level so I'm intrigued)

I don't see any problem in the 'theory' that conciousness just simply was constructed bit by bit by natural selection. It's a fact that there can be different stages of conciousness and it is also a pretty convincing theory that the brain is just a modular, hierarchical information processing system so there shouldn't be a insurmountable problem in explaining the hows and whens and whys (unlike I mistakenly stated earlier).

The fundamental nature of conciousness seems to be as elusive as it gets though. I mean, scientifically.

because in our lifespan we are meant to transport energy all around, shitting, eating, fucking, all these things burn and transport energy, shitfucker.

pretty sure you humans will kill yourselves before you can even figure out what lies just beyond your home planetary system

It bothers me that you used an yin yang taoist image, yet you imply that life has to have a purpose.
Life doesn't have a purpose.
The reason for life is life itself.
It cannot be studied, nor analized, nor theorized.
It can just be lived.

I can't stop thinking of that Rick and Morty episode where Rick has built an entire (tiny) civilization inside his car battery, to have them generate power for his car. And the whole civilization is clueless.

Now I can't stop thinking we may be in the same sort of situation. Life would be pretty lame if our ultimate cause was to power some guys battery.

no no no you retards, yes we dont have answers but we have the ability to seek them out. the point of life is to live. simply speaking, find meaning in your life, you have free enough will find that on your own and accept the fact that nothing you matters. we are born, we live we die. cycle of life

Hey Mr. Thermodynamics over here says the meaning of life is to move around energy. Listen here buddy. One day there will be no light in the night sky because every single star in the galaxy- big or small- will be a black dwarf. A marble in the sky incapable of transporting energu in any other form than momentum. Moving energy around huh? Yeah where to

old pasta of mine regarding consciousness and AI etc.:
The problem is that most of these words/concepts were invented well
before Darwin and people haven't been willing to place them under scrutiny - now matter how little reason there is to believe that they comply with reality or not. It is deplorable how many otherwise intelligent people claim they accept evolutionary theory (of course, duh!), but when you start talking about humans they will deny the consequences. Sentiments like a "subtle difference that robots could never *actually* experience", that there *must* be something that only humans have (like sentience), are seen as axioms and everything else is build upon that premise. A network of weigthed connections i.e. a brain isn’t any less deterministic than an if else script, the cause and relationships are just less obvious. Sentience/consciousness didn’t _evolve_ , we simply decided to call the level of complexity/intelligence we arrived at that way and declare it something fundamentally different from anything any other animal or machine could ever experience.

We exist because someone didn't pull out. That's it. But that's good because it's easier to count when you start from zero.

thats called the "stoned ape" theory, developed by terrence mckenna.

Sigh of relief* i was starting to feel like a knight without armor in a savage land. I never bothered to actually research the topic since the big picture can be understood at a glance.

Dis

can determinism and free will co exist?
i think it can

Biology- "the study of life"

"i think, therefore i am"

OP people have been pondering this since the beginning of humanity, maybe if everyone pitches in we can crack the answer in this thread tonight

The question is the answer.

"butt muh evidence!!"
not everything is quantifiable.

>>you have free enough will

With enough amphetamine anything is possible

Like I said, Ego. What's wrong with simply enjoying a sunrise and thinking "yeah, I was here to enjoy this" every morning, instead of seeking for reasons you'll never be satisfied with? What of the reason was to smash as many ants as possible, and that's it? Can't you learn to live in the moment and enjoy what you have?

My vote is four dimensional creature and we're their playthings.

Its like a man in a cartoon. He will never know see or hear about its artist...

Absolutely right. It seems so natural for humans to think that there is some magic trick (or even worse -- a 'quantum weirdness' or similar) behind it all.

ATM I'm doing some reading to get a cohesive picture of the evolutionary processes behind conciousness and the computational theory of mind etc. Because I'm still a bit lacking when it comes to the greater picture.

Hell, might even shift to cognitive science or philosophy who knows.

Life is absurd. Everything is absurd.

Oh that guy. Well thanks for the information, dude.

excuse me?

also always thought its possible we are basically in a fishtank like pets for someone

just shifting it around to burn it, we are living entropy

Your unwillingness to learn is pathetic. Saying you cant quantify everything is like saying some stuff is magic it's just fucking nonsense. Go ahead and choke on this series of syllables you fucking ape. BANAL PLATITUDE

Anonymous genius guesses the meaning to life on first try.
Directive #1: >>squash ants

To eventually create something that can evolve itself.

When we perfect nanotechnology and are able to amplify our intelligence, capacity and physical survivability we can become "gods."

I recently thought about the multiverse theory and came up with the idea that everything exists.
Similar to the multiverse theory, there is a universe for every possible value any physical constant can have.
Now, don't imagine them as closed off bubbles but as a continuous field, that contains multiverses.
Each multiverse would describe a set of constant that would allow for matter or energy to create structures or behave in a structured way.
Hence the difference from the 'outside' of the universes area.
Basically existence is a hypercube with an axis for each physical constant.
Within the volume of the cubes there are (probably spheres) of combinations of constants that allow for existence like ours.
Every possible combination of constants exists, even the things that according to our comprehension can not exist, we're just lucky to be part of one of those sweet spots.
What do you guys think?

>>cant you learn
Sounds alot like "i know better than you"
>>thats the ego
You are a fucking satirical hypocrite who only exists as a cautionary tale

if you just take like one class of college philosophy you will learn of a whole new world of unquantifiable things, like qualia for instance.

That will never happen because some humans are always going to pursue power, hence why human race is the only one capable of auto-destruction.

I'm not a transhumanist but I find the idea pretty cool. And why not if it's possible?

I think you should read pic related.

Organisms use all of the resources available to them to make their lives more comfortable. It's like you're declaring that you're a helpless moron

I agree with you user. Don't listen to these clueless assholes:

>I think you should read pic related.
The title seems about right.

You're incapable of reconciling with the fact that you mis-spoke so now you're trying to redirect the conversation to something you think you know more about than me.

The purpose of life?

We forge our lives through what we love and what we're passionate about. We have to stop thinking of 'Why' we're here.

The point of life is to live it. That's it. There's no more, and none less.

The point of life is to live, be happy, and be yourself.

I love you all.

Anyone else feel like this?

Yeah Sup Forumsro. Good luck with that. Some people will never understand it, sadly.