youtube.com/watch?v=ALPhA1xsRRw
youtube.com/watch?v=AdAgGmsZ3-I
amazon.co.jp/角川-新字源-小川-環樹/dp/4040108043
japanknowledge.com/articles/kanji/column_jitsu_01.html
okjiten.jp/sp/16-syoukeimoji.html
ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/無
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>tfw your post could have been first but you have to wait 30 seconds before posting because you don't have a Sup Forums pass
youtube.com/watch?v=cLJHwLcXOts

everything went better than expectingds
youtube.com/watch?v=ALPhA1xsRRw

Third time's a charm
youtube.com/watch?v=AdAgGmsZ3-I

私はフェリスにキスしたい

DJT on Sup Forums is pretty slow because all the weebs are on /jp/

I suppose, I actually tried going to /jp/ once before I found this thread here on Sup Forums and it was shit, SHIT! I hid literally every thread on all pages except for the /jp/ DJT but even that was gay as fuck.

おまんこペロペロ

boards.Sup Forums.org/jp/#s=djt
boards.Sup Forums.org/int/#s=djt

Both boards are shit, this is how I make it so I don't have to sift through all that garbage.

REM is the Best

Is there a kanji dictionary that shows development of specific kanji characters?

クルシュは最高の女の子です

I think so

"please feed me hamburgers"

>input random kanji from anki to spotify to find new music
>literally Jackie Chan every time
kek
Well, I may have discovered a new way to remember kanji through at least, just affiliate it with whatever song pops up when you search it by making up a story to go with the song.

Thanks, but do you think there is one on internet?
Amazon shipping to Sweden costs about same as flying to Japan.

字源(角川書店)
など代表的な漢和辞典なら
全て該当する
amazon.co.jp/角川-新字源-小川-環樹/dp/4040108043
やはりレムの勝ち

レムは昏睡状態にある

(´;ω;`)

japanknowledge.com/articles/kanji/column_jitsu_01.html

okjiten.jp/sp/16-syoukeimoji.html

Thanks bror, sadly not too many are available there.
Is there a name for this type of kanji "etymology" in Japanese?

Are you saying "甲骨文字" or "象形文字"?

Sorry I'm not good at English so well

I don't speak Japanese at all myself, I only have about 150 learnt cards in Anki.

I meant is there a name for the way that kanji development is researched?
Like in English if you consider the origins of a word and how it has evolved you call that "etymology".

Etymology of Swedish word "Helvete":
From Old Norse helvíti, from hel (itself from Proto-Germanic *haljō, ultimately from Proto-Indo-European *ḱel- (“to cover, hide, conceal”)) + víti.
In old Norse mythology, the god Loke had a daughter called Hel, who ruled the death realm, Niefelheim.
Helvete is a combination of her name and the Old Norse word víti, meaning "punishment".
Helvete thus means, the punishment of Hel.

Not sure if I'm explaining in a good way but yeah that's about it.

Can I choose to hide the english on core2k so I can practice the example sentences?

Yes

Hmm... I think that is chinese rather than japanese.

Sorry I don't see where, can I also get a repeat audio button?

I was telling a friend about Anki, but he uses an iPhone. Is there a free solution to using it or should he just use something else like Memrise?

If he's serious about language learning then the cost of anki for an iphone is trivial. Seriously. It's really important.

彼の知りたい言葉は語源、たぶん

I have a premium account on Memrise as I've used it for Serbo-Croatian, but I'm only using Anki for kanji.
It would probably work fine but it's less customizable and I can imagine the courses are shit there, maybe if he can figure out a way to import Core 2k/6k (or if it's already available) it would be good.

One thing I like about Anki is that the SRS is more adaptable to how you're actually doing, rather than how the software thinks you're doing.

How much is Anki on iPhone?

ありがとう
漢字の語源=中国語の語源だから
難しいなぁ
まず漢字のそれぞれに語源があるのかも分からないなぁ

I'll tell you scary some origins of the kanjis
Do you know the origin of 道?
道=辶+首
辶(辵) means crossroad
首 means head as you know

They hung a freshly-severed head due to exorcise demons and evil sprits on the road which spread out outside of the fort city in ancient China.
That is the origin of 道

Do you know the origin of 民
And other Kanjis

£19. Thanks for the info, I will pass it on.

I actually agree, I'm constantly surprised by how solid my Kanji recognition is, and Anki is a huge part of that. However I am apprehensive about encouraging him to do it when he might struggle too much and quit.

kek
do you know the origin of 民?
Your knowledge is like borrowed plumes come off broken soon

Read the manual bro, it's just changing your card template so shouldn't take you too long to figure out.

ankisrs.net/docs/manual.html
They even have a nice video guide on how to do it.

Wiktionary covers a good amount of them, specially the ones that derived from chink.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/無

What does it say?

Did anyone ever bother with audio lessons? Can't find anything about them in the guide.

Are there any good ones?

What the point of this thread of we already have japanese thread?

I've been for some weaks learning radicals, but i keep forgetting them and wikipedia gives me different names to the ones in the deck. I want to drop it and jump directly to kanji deck. What do you think djt ?

Just learn radicals with Kanji. The more Kanji you see, the more cemented the radicals will become.

こんばんはー

>gee, should I do the obvious thing? what do you think?
>do it faggot
>ok
every djt question ever

Yeah, people just want to be told they are doing the right thing.

I should learn radicals as i go with kanji, or avoid them and implicitly be used to them while learning kanji?

I learn radicals with Kanji, because I like mnemonics. Eventually the radicals become as natural as Kana because of how much you see them. It's up to you whether you want to use mnemonics or just try and internalise them by sheer grinding.

Why do people study radicals?
I'm new aswell and while I've seen people studying them I don't really understand why, do they help a lot with interpreting/remembering meaning?

Like in 聞く I guess the gate and ear radicals are useful for remembering it means "to hear/to ask" but most radicals don't seem to have meanings, or they have irrelevant meanings.

It's like this, do you want to do some warm-up before you climb the staircase, then climb it one stair at a time? Or do you want to take the staircase head on, doing 3 steps at a time?

Either way you're going to reach the top if you stick with it. It's just one is a slower to start, easier path.

It was really helpful for me early on to distinguish similar looking kanji, such as 持 and 待
Some of them do depict the readings of the kanji as well.

I think radicals are great for easily understanding new typefaces.

Basically 95% of the kanji you'll encounter are different combinations of radicals.

It makes it easier to understand that 待 is different than 持 is different than 時 because you're already familiar with the shape and meaning. Often it's a small difference between otherwise similar looking kanji.

How would you recommend studying?

I see, thanks for sharing your experience. Is it really needed to remember the names? or just to be famirialized with the looks?
The djt guide suggest it. I'm afraid to eat more than i can digest.
That's a good analogy

ありがとう、見なかった

I have this problem as well, always finding different meanings for radicals, I can recognize them but from book to book and site to site they seem to vary.

>do thing
>hey /djt/ I've been doing thing
>lol why are wasting time with that?

>特
When I learned that cow and temple combine to make special, that's when I really started to have fun with Japanese.

I think learning radicals alone is stupid and almost completely useless.

Because of my mnemonics, I choose a personal name for each radical based off the ones online.

Take 沈む for instance. I see the water and crooked big radicals. So the mnemonic is 'a big disabled person sinking, shi/she would be safer in a zu/zoo.'

I assume other just become familiar with their looks though.

Learn 1nen kanji (about 80) - most of them are radicals, but also kanji, so it's win-win. Pay attention to stroke order!

When you start your kanji deck after knowing these, you will already be used to the concept and have little trouble mentally dividing a kanji in parts and guessing its stroke order.

I have downloaded all audios from 50languages.com , without the textbook, just for passive listening. (English-Japanese version, as the purely Japanese would be just gibberish).

I did it with French back then and it helped me to get a good base on the language, but since I don't go out anymore - thus not using mp3 players -, I don't have the opportunity to passively listen to the Japanese lessons.

Might work for you, though.

>50languages.com
You have to put a www else it won't work.

What are your favourite mnemonics?
I'm only beginning to learn the kanji so I don't have too many.

When I first saw 夜 I thought the right radical looked like 女 with something inside, so my mnemonic was "Night is when women get their holes stuffed"

I was disappointed when I learnt it's actually 夕

How do you manage to memorize all the new characters? i'm just starting

Most are pretty garbage because you spend 90% of the time listening to English. Nihongonomori are the only decent ones I know of. Maybe the advanced japanesepod lessons but that probably requires you to be somewhere in N3-N2 listening.

Stop namefagging and maybe I'll tell you

Haha, I enjoy coming up with mnemonics as it helps keep new Kanji learning fun even when I'm tired after uni.

Had a quick skim of my mnemonics and I like 株 where 'kabu/capitalist cow climbs the trees of wall st,' and 従 where 'germans opened their heads to hitler and followed him against juu/jews.'

I can't think of any lewd ones right now, except for maybe 脱 involving big brother getting nude.

Learning the Kana (I learnt the hiragana followed by the katakana equivalent at the same time) took fucking ages.
One day I'd learn 10 new ones, the next 3 days I'd only learn 5 due to laziness and lack of motivation.

As soon as I started learning kanji I've been learning 20 per day with comfyness because I'm actually interested in the kanji, though that's only been about 8 days or so.

I recommend the "Kana Town" app on Android if you have an Android phone.
At first I did like you and cared a lot about being able to write them out properly with decent handwriting, but it got tedious after the first two weeks of struggling so I just learnt to recognize them instead.

I'm new in these threads so I'm not sure what you guys are hostile too yet but I've started both German and Japanese with Pimsuleur.

30 minute lessons, listen and repeat, go for a nice walk or something. 90 lessons total. Gives you good conversational starting but you learn no spelling or grammar.

Good for feeling out how a language sounds.

kek

To be honest I'm not used to making mnemonics, I've always just done repetitions endlessly, but I'm starting to realize that it's better to spend some time trying to figure out a decent mnemonic.

I've actually been to a seminar by Jonas von Essen (Swede who recited 13 208 numerals of Pi in correct order) where talked about it, he didn't say anything that was new to me as I had already researched a lot about memorization but his interactions with us in the audience helped me realize that it's actually very effective.

Do you have tips on coming up with mnemonics in cases where the pronunciation doesn't really match anything in your language?

Just write them a few times, when you start with anki you will see them houndreds of times a day.
While doing anki i write them down a few times, so that i can remember the stroke order, then i write the hiragana that form the kanji and then comes the translation.

>anki
hmm.. what does it mean?

Ctrl + F "Anki"

Here are the ones that helped me most, maybe someone will find them useful. And I'll continue your being rude to women theme.
百 is 100 sideways.
朝 car pushing the moon away = morning.
安 woman chained to wall -> cheap.
要 woman needs the money above her (I know that radical has nothing to do with money).
忘 is 思 with the head open.
終 has 冬 in it, so when I see 終 it creates a strong image of cold, snow and darkness associated with "the end".
走 is 足 with a plus.
教 looks like a woman smacking a child on the head (the radical on the right is not woman but that's what it looks like).

It can be tough on a day where 20-30 new words have like 20 new Kanji and some of them might be theoretical terms all with a similar meaning. Sometimes I get lazy when I'm too tired, but even a lazy, half-assed mnemonic sticks well for me. I find using a thesaurus helps if you really struggle. Also I gave several radicals 2 names to make them simpler.

I also didn't use them at all until about 500 words in when my retention was struggling with similar looking Kanji and similar meanings. The difference they made was huge, after a year I have 97% for young words and 99% for mature.

I also find it satisfying that over time I have internalised them to the degree that the readings and meanings instantly come to mind without even thinking about how.

>百 is 100 sideways.
noice, thanks, I'm actually struggling with the numerals
>安 woman chained to wall -> cheap.
Mine for this character was something about women in brothels being cheap.

>百 is 100 sideways.

Wish it was harder to remember so I could actually use that.

>he didn't read the /djt/ guide.

>Mine for this character was something about women in brothels being cheap.
安心(anshin) is peace of mind. I remembered it by seeing a women safe under a roof with a heart. Kind of like happy wife happy life, peace of mind.

Also, 好, kids are for women to deal with, I "like" that.

oh god i'm so fucking ashamed, i thought learning the symbols will be necesary before everything else, let me see.

For 好き I went with "Women like kids" or something

For 多分 I use "If you see 多 there's a chance it's probably たぶん" since I struggle with ta vs oo

Learning Kana is basically step 1, but you should read the guide anyway or at least read the Wikipedia articles about the language in general.

That's a pretty good rate, I've been struggling as fuck with +1 hour long sessions for ~80 cards because I haven't put any effort into mnemonics.
This session I started seriously using them and it's helping a lot, which is nice because I had 132 Due and 20 New because I neglected Anki during Christmas celebrations and last night.

鋭 - radical on the right is a front view of an erect (sharp) ejaculating dick
鈍 - radical on the right is a top view of a flaccid (dull) dick and a pair of balls

Is there an Anki deck where the vocabulary is sorted by N5 to N1?

Are all your mnemonics about dicks?

Cause I wanna hear more

kek

unfortunately i think these are the only mnemonics i've made up so far
my brain always read 鋭い and 鈍い as にぶい whenever i came across them so i had to make something up

体 = A man's (book) diary is his body
天気 = The weather reflects the mood of the heavens
閉まる = Shi-shi-shi-shi-SHIT gate's closed
足 = 口 + 止 = Moe! Stop or I'll shove my Ashi-an foot in your mouth, aniki~

rate

the left part also looks like an erect dick with pubes.

>朝 car pushing the moon away = morning.
pretty good now that I look at it again

I reinterpreted it as being Helios's chariot carrying the sun after the moon

Why do I keep saying "Kyoka" instead of "Kyo" for "Today" ?
I can't even find a remotely similar meaning for Kyoka in Jisho, but I'm sure I've heard "Kyoka" meaning "Today".

For those who hate Romaji:
きょか
きょう

>card with 授業
>"Hmm I know the 2nd character is ぎょう like from じゅぎょう"
>"k I don't know what this card is, let's see the answer"

Because day counters end in -ka and use the sun kanji.

Also that's not proper romanization, since you've omitted the -u prolongation of the kyou part.

hell I used to read 大人 and 大切 as だいじん and たいき on more than one occasion among other retarded mistakes like those, but it's just like the memes say

もっと読め、練習によるいつか暗記する

Been studying for about 2 years now but mostly inefficiently and randomly. I'm not really sure of my level.

I started the core2k last night and I'm about 100 words in and I knew them all already, should I stop or does it get better?

oh wow you know 100 words after 2 years? award yourself with a cookie. you already know japanese!

You know what I mean.

Does it get harder than moon, tree and Monday?

Doing anki reps and suddenly I got a message saying "card was a leech, it has been suspended" What does this mean?

Thank you, I was trying to figure out how to do that.

Quite farther along it gets better but I can at least do it for review.