Just wait until Ghosts I-IV clicks

tfw the slip never clicks

It's not a click album.
It's an angsty middle-schooler album.

>things peasants say

>i am a big man
What did he mean by this?

it's a genuinely awful album

I want to love The Downward Spiral more, but the lyrics really just stop it from entering that higher plane

I can't be bothred with them i'd rather listen to ministry

Shut up, you stupid tripfag piece of shit

Nice job proving me wrong.

I believe you're thinking of [your favorite album].

>comparing nin to ministry

DUDE
distorted synthesizers
LMAO

Good opinion tripfriend

Those are some very relevant, structured and valid rebuttals.

As was "lol it's for middle schoolers"

In your own words, what makes this album sub-par?

The song structures don't really do anything I find particularly interesting, the instrumentation is just OK, really, and the lyrics range from 'just good' to embarrassingly bad at times. The production seems fantastic, but the substance is lacking and the songs themselves are just mediocre concepts, in my opinion.

To me, it quite literally seems like something someone in early high school would write on poetry day to be the 'shocking' one of the group. Doesn't do anything to resonate with me; it's just an angry mess rather than a chaotic, meaningful angry mess.

>extremely generic review, with no examples, that can be used for literally 90% of albums released since 1980

Nah mate, the slip is tied with the fragile for best.

terrible review m8

stale pasta is stale.

I'm not a reviewer. I wasn't planning on typing out paragraphs of text explaining in exact detail what I don't like about the album.
see last
???

Fine. Here are a few examples.
>The song structures don't really do anything I find particularly interesting
The first thing anyone would bring up in reply to this is March of the Pigs. "muh time signatures," right? Yes, March of the Pigs has an uncommon time signature but that does absolutely nothing overall to help the song go anywhere and ends up really being nothing more than a gimmick. The song is incredibly impersonal with a thin, detached 'message' to convey, despite the passionate vocal delivery.
>the instrumentation is just OK, really
I feel like I've heard most of the songs on Downward somewhere before. Maybe the instrumental signature of the album was absolutely revolutionary in 94, but I doubt that. It doesn't seem all that interesting. The songs just feel half baked and don't really explode like they should. Listening to Downward Spiral is like watching someone detonate a bomb which, for whatever reason, doesn't go off.
>The production seems fantastic
Of course. It's Trent Reznor, the biggest stickler for audio quality in mainstream music right now.
>the lyrics range from 'just good' to embarrassingly bad at times

Just good:
>Step right up, march, push
>Crawl right up on your knees
>Please, greed, feed (no time to hesitate)

>I broke apart my insides
>I've got no soul to sell
>The only thing that works for me
>Help me get away from myself

Embarrassingly bad:
>I hurt myself today
>To see if I still feel
>I focus on the pain
>The only thing that's real
>The needle tears a hole
>The old familiar sting
>Try to kill it all away
>But I remember everything

>I am a big man
>Yes I am
>And I've got a big gun
>Got me a big old dick and I
>I like to have fun

>Let me listen to part of one song and google some lyrics real quick so everyone will think I've listened to the album

I disagree.

Each song is both a battlefield for the highest possible density of truculent sound effects and a largely-autobiographical ode-psychodrama. The thundering polyrhytms, the chaotic and cacophonous orgies, the grotesque "danse macabres", the chamber blues pieces, the harsh counterpoints, the mournful melodies were carefully assembled to deliver the sense of a man without a past or a present or a future, a man who was a pure abstraction in search of meaning, pure form in search of content.

I actually used to like the album, but grew tired of it eventually.
I respect your opinion.

easily his best ever

I just feel like a lot of the songs don't go far enough. There's a lack of absolute, complete unhinging throughout the album. Some of the songs are cacophonous, yes, but just not quite enough to be properly effective.
The album, as a whole, just doesn't go far enough to accomplish what it wants to accomplish.

The Downward Spiral made me change my opinion of what is possible to express with the artform of music.

The google translate of Scaruffi's review is excellent.

>Yes, March of the Pigs has an uncommon time signature but that does absolutely nothing overall to help the song go anywhere and ends up really being nothing more than a gimmick.
The time signature isn't the main point I believe. Coupled with the loud and raw production of the drums and guitar make for a very powerful track.
>The song is incredibly impersonal with a thin, detached 'message' to convey
Personally disagree. At the end of the song, where the contrast between the raw and powerful instrumentation to the sudden piano ballad occurs is where the messaged is delivered loud and clear.

>I am a big man
>Yes I am
>And I've got a big gun
>Got me a big old dick and I
>I like to have fun

The song was a parody to popular rap lyrics according to trent. It also represents the "delirium" stage of the process of Mr. Self Destruct taking over.

>absolute, complete unhinging
The Becoming through Big Man With A Gun accomplishes that, and following it up with A Warm Place emphasizes the effect. That's part of the power of the lyrics which are strong because of the way they are delivered. Judging lyrics by how they read on paper is to miss the point of music as an artform.