Any expats living in China? Or ask a white guy living in China anything. I'm bored as fuck

Any expats living in China? Or ask a white guy living in China anything. I'm bored as fuck.

Bump

I'm going to China in August to visit a Chinese girl I met while she was working as a J1 student. She's not the prettiest but damn I love her personality. Anyway, I'll be there for 24 days. I'll be visiting Shanghai, Ningbo (her hometown), Hong Kong, Behai and Chengdu. Anything I should watch out for? Anything I need to bring with me? It'll be my first time traveling out to a different continent.

Are their women easy to pick up?

Bring anything special personal hygiene-wise. They only have one type of everything here.

Are you going to be with your girl the whole time?

Also, what's something I should have in consideration when I'm with her? We got to know each other pretty well while she was here, but we've been keeping in contact almost everyday, having phone calls about every 2 or 3 days, lasting up to 2 to 4 hours.

Yes. I'll be with her the whole time.

I hope shit doesn't go awkward between both us, even though we agreed that we don't need to always be engaged in a conversation, but simply enjoy the company. I'm pretty excited about scared at the same time.

You fucking traitor. (unless you're a spy for the CIA then gj)

is it easier to find a job there as a white person

Depends on where you go. Cities that have smaller expat populations make it easier. If you're white, you're exotic and that helps. I'll say yes, definitely. If you're a 5/10 where you're from it seems like you become a 7/10 when you step off the plane.

Post some pictures you chink lover.

(You)

If you're with her, you'll be safe from the scams. I don't date non-western Chinese girls, but if she's traditional it can get weird. I have no advice for you in that case.

What can I bring to avoid diarrhea? Any specific methods you've used? Should I say fuck it and stay in China to end my shitty repetitive life in America? I'm a bartender so I'm wondering if I could make money doing that. My Chinese is very limited.

learn how to use chopsticks asap or it will be p embarrasing
also hop you are ok with weird food like boiled pig trotters, coagulated pig blood cakes, boiled duck feet, just fukin duck in general, tripe everywhere, rice everywhere etc

I'll love China and I'll probably be here the rest of my life. Being white here is awesome. Hook up with the expats where you are and you'll find jobs easy. Even if you're not qualified. Learn the language, it's not as hard as people will tell you.

As far as being sick, I've never been sick since I arrived. Depending on where you are, the food can be very oily and that will mess you up for a bit, but I got used to it in a week or so.

It's not like this unless you go into the country. Even then, not that bad.

Maybe, but my country owes me a few, they can get over it.

If I get rejected I'll say fuck it and continue with my trip in my booked hotels. While she was here we rode my motorcycle to all kinds of places and other shit like that. Now, English is both our second languages, and I'm not a US native so it's culturally more interesting... I guess.

Vietnam is better.

yeah, he said specifically he was going there
you'll just make a dick of yourself having to ask for a fork everywhere you go and saying you can't eat half the shit they serve you because it's too fuckin weird
also chopstick etiquette is serious business
im assuming he'll be meeting the parent btw and if you handle your chops like a kid they will judge you hard

Really, don't worry about it. The Chinese are the chillest people on the planet. If you're on your own, just ask someone. People go out of their way to help out foreigners here. I've never had a problem.

Chinese people only give a fuck about chopsticks when you can use them well. Then they clap like they would for a trained monkey.

Ignore this stereotypical bullshit. Most of my friends here can't use chopsticks half as well as I can. Seriously, no one gives a fuck.

Thailand is better, too. Wouldn't want to live there.

I was just jokin. I've always wanted to visit China and see the wall. Have you done that?

Also care to elaborate on the "my country owes me" part?

My chop stick skills are alright. I'll be meeting her mom for a day in Ningbo, then we'll go on with our trip. After Ningbo she's never been on the next two stops so that should be interesting. She's taking care of the transportation so that's a big hassle off my shoulders. And you know the best part? She's insisted and we agreed to split all of the spendings. Except the airplane ticket of course.
Am I fucking crazy?

yeah, asian chicks are good like that

Yup, been to all the big tourist places for the most part. Outside of Shanghai. Have local friends and they invite me everywhere. I'm super lucky.

I'm a veteran, I did my time and figure we're even.

Yes, you're fucking crazy, but as long as you have a wide open mind you'll have a blast. Shit here is weird, so if you have led a sheltered life you're in for some culture shock. Also, if you're sensitive to smells, you're kinda fucked.

Take it as it comes. If you love China, it'll love you back.

Cool, so am I.

How long have you been there and what's your job?

Thanks user.
Last question.
My budget for this so far is about $2,500 after transportation and hotel expenses. Hopefully by then I should have $3,500 saved. Again, we're splitting expenses so probably more than that. 24 days. Am I all good or do I need to borrow an extra grand?

About two years, I've been an esl teacher and tutor, but I'm transitioning to IT in Beijing in August. Going to be there for at least two years.

more than enough, i went with 1k for 6 weeks and was no problem

Thanks user. That makes me feel even more excited about seeing her again and visiting China.

Christ, that's a lot. You should be good as long as you don't spend like an asshole.

Take the subway in Shanghai, way cheaper and easy to use. Your girl will sort you out.

Hong Kong is fucking expensive no matter what.

You would probably live a month or two in China on that kind of money, honestly.

How long are you planning on living in China? Forever?

Where are you from originally and do people ask you a lot about your home country?

Awesome! I'm all set then.
Even though I know her well, what's something I should avoid doing that may offend her? My background is Latino, is that going to affect me in a negative way in China?

Ideally, yeah, I can see myself living here for the rest of my life. No ties back home and my friends here are great.

From the US and it comes up from time to time, when you meet new people usually. And randomly in public people will ask you and shout Obama at you.

Rape a woman and tell her you are from Japan. Wait for the shitstorm.

Oh yeah, small caveat. The Chinese are pretty innocently racist and if you're not a light skinned Latino they might think you're dirty. It's not rooted in anything like the states and it usually doesn't get vitriolic, but don't be surprised if someone mentions how dark you are.

Don't shout or get too loud, it's one of those traditional things that can still give more traditional Chinese a bad impression of you. They'll cut you a lot of slack because your foreign, but it generally stops when you start to get loud.

That being said, Chinese people can get loud too, but that's okay for them.

Mainland or Hong Kong?

Sup Forums is banned in china. you can't even get on Facebook in country over there. Once you are in country, the internet censorship sucks.

Mainland, south east.

Not if you have TOR.

>shout Obama at you

haha

What do you do for fun out there?

Yeah, everybody uses a VPN and the government gives zero fucks.

Or you can get thrown in a Chinese prison. that sounds fun as well.

Drink, have dinner with friends, I go out of town two or three times a month. I get a lot of massages, skin and nail care stuff done. Movies. I have a way bigger social life here than I ever had at home. Went to the preview of Shanghai Disney land because one of my friends had passes. I've been to Thailand, Vietnam and South Korea in the last year. It's crazy.

And then you bribe your way out.

Seriously, funny story. I was stuck outside the Shanghai railway station at like 3am with a bunch of locals and one of them comes up to me and says, "Hey, we're going to bribe the security guard to let us in the back, want in?"

Played spades and drank with them until the station opened up. Could never do that back home.

Hahahaha xDD. That's hillarioos. Did they also ask you to do your best texan voice?

Ha, no, but if they find out you speak Chinese even a little they will get you to speak it and then make fun of your terrible accent.