I became an avid classical listener like three months ago and I can't stop...

I became an avid classical listener like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped listening to popular music and I don't spend much time on Sup Forums anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person listens to like zero classical a year. If you listen to a 10-minute sonata, you are 10 minutes above the average person

-Don't force yourself to listen. Commit to 10 minutes a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like listening more and after a month or so you should be listening to 3 full symphonies a day for pleasure

-listen to various composers/ genres at the same time. while I'm listening to a long symphony or one that makes me sleepy I'll play a string quartet and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them different. I listen to program music and absolute music.

-It isn't a race. listening with all your attention won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge the pieces you can skip to the last movement and which command all your attention.

-Buy physical copies. When you buy the cds/records from your own money you'll feel the need to listen to them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with composers highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/classicalresources/comments/13mteq/a_playlist_of_20_great_classical_works_for/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thank you

Listen to these user, guys

These are some great tips

Sousa is best classical musician.

If you could choose 3 composers to recommend to someone just starting out, who would they be?

Maybe those three famous ones you fucking numbskull idiot bitch

Posts like these make Sup Forums a worthwhile place.

>It isn't a race
Yes it is you fucking fag

>Sup Forums - music

Holy shit relax dude. I literally know nothing about classical and was just asking for recs. OP didn't even say 3 names in his post

kys my dude, this is why no one likes you in real life

gays shut the fuck up everyone in this thread

Sousa guy here. Since OP and associated fags aren't delivering, here.

You have your standard Mozart, Beethoven, and Tchaikovsky as the big three default. The problem, though, is they wrote a ton and did several different styles throughout their careers.

Hector Berlioz, Franz Schubert, and either Brahms or Handel if you want something that isn't a normie tier introduction.

am I on Reddit?

I personally love Chopin.

bad

Depends on what you like. There are many different styles of classical music.

Here's my advice: listen to this playlist of accessible classical music from reddit
>reddit.com/r/classicalresources/comments/13mteq/a_playlist_of_20_great_classical_works_for/

Then, for the pieces you like, listen to more music from that composer.

You should be able to find more music on your own. There are many different resources on exploring classical music on the internet, so that's the only help I'll give before I stop spoonfeeding you.

incredible argument, really made me think

Fine. You want nu-classical? Go with Beastie Boys, Panthera, and Kid 'n Play.

nice pasta

Thanks guys!

the greeks

I love those three! They're my favourites. I celebrate their entire catalogs.

>Remember the average person listens to like zero classical a year. If you listen to a 10-minute sonata, you are 10 minutes above the average person

There are people that genuinely believe in notions such as "being above" other humans without defining what that even means. Even if you did offer a definition, it would certainly be contradictory and straight up retarded.

Bach (Art of Fugue), Beethoven (Symphonies 3-5-9, Sonatas 8-14-23) and Mahler (Symphony n.9).
They all represent the pinnacle of their contemporaries' music, while still remaining accessible enough to an uneducated 2016 listener.
When you'll ''get'' them you will be able to freely listen to most classical music.

Reading about it will help you. Most people have some sort of psychologic barrier against it and won't care about their judgement because they feel that they need to know more about music to say anything about it.
Read other people's opinion and listen to classical composers as you would listen to the new Sup Forumscore album.

Why are classical listener so frail and lanky?

I can steamroll a whole locker room full of them and not get tired.

they're fucking nerds

OP here.

Start with:
>Telemann's Tafelmusik
>Bach's solo organ works
>Bach, cantata BWV 21 and 82
>Bax Symphony no. 7
>Grieg's Peer Gynt
>Bach Mass in B minor
>Schubert Winterreise
>Mozart String Quartet no. 10
>Beethoven Symphony no. 9
>Beethoven Piano Sonata no. 29 ''hammerklavier''

Delve deeper into the stuff you like, based on this.

>Don't force yourself to listen.
>Commit to 10 minutes a day.
>When you buy the cds/records from your own money you'll feel the need to listen to them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.
I do like classical music but this definitely sounds like forcing yourself to listen to it. My advice would be to find some pieces you actually enjoy listening to. I didn't find it that hard.

Ever since I started listening to classical my life has improved in every way! I've been able to wake up and face the day with a positive attitude and really push myself the extra mile! I got a promotion at work last week and I've been going to the gym three times a week and feel great! I have more mental stamina and feel like I can finally think clearly. Not to mention I have greater endurance in bed (my wife loves this part LOL!) What are you waiting for?? Start listening to Classical Musicâ„¢ today!!