Will we ever get another era that is dominated by indie/rock music?

whats MU's opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-language_idioms
4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Essential_Charts
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

no which is why I wish people would start accepting Grimes as the new path to enlightenment

No, the days of 1957-1958 are long gone.

Has there ever been an era like that?

yes, 1954-2012

>indie
>54-12

Nope because every kid is like you waiting on some band to start making good indie music again.
like I tell every other kid. if you want indie to take over again start your own band.

and to clarify on this
all the talented indie kids are either trying to become pop writers/producers for big name acts or have fucked off to making electronic music
rest is just a bunch of untalented rich kids making shitty lofi rock,shoegaze or trying to join the burger records/captured tracks squad and be a slight variant of wavves/mac demarco

Alex g and maybe carseat headrest is the best you got atm.

Probably, won't happen from people trying to copy what already exists though.

Rock was a dead end genre that peaked with Buddy Holly and Bo Diddley and has been on a decline ever since. It's a dead-end genre, a waste of time that cares less about musical expression and more about macho posturing. Nobody fan of rock actually cares about the music. They care about the narrative, the mythology and finding new hyperbole to describe their martyrs. That it's finally on the decline is worth celebrating. Who knows? Maybe we can stop pretending Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain were anything more than mediocre musicians with good marketing.

Fugazi were pretty good, though.

This is pretty ignorant man

Let's hope not.

Go on

There are a ton of rock artists that are not about dick waving macho man shit. Rock is an enormous genre that expresses a huge range of ideas and themes. To claim that all rock from the 60s on is soulless commercial music for meatheads is plain ignorant.

I listenes to your fucking Velvet Underground & Nico, I listened to your fucking Doc at the Radar Station and I even tolerated In the Court of the Crimson King. What more do you want from me? And don't even mention Unwound and Slint if you want to be taken seriously.

Pretty much this. Most people copy the sounds from previous popular bands and don't improvise on them. It all sounding the same is the result.

I hope something new comes along because I'm honestly tired of hearing annoying nigger hip hop music everywhere.

Sure, this was surely a sign of it coming.

I feel like any artists I mention you're just going to shoot down one by one. It doesn't seem like you're very open to the possibility of good rock.

All that Sup Forumscore you listed just makes me wonder wtf you're doing. Genres aren't ranked by how good their meme albums are.

I can promise to try to be open minded.

Except for Unwound and Slint because I really really really don't fucking get the appeal.

I can't handle the amount of truth in this post. Someone get this user a medal.

But wait there's also math rock and emo.

>being this mad he'll never be a black Beatle

Kek

Most of the music I listen to that could be considered rock is between the late 70s and about 2010.

Some of my most listened to rock albums are by Pixies, Siouxsie And the Banshees, Talking Heads, The Flaming Lips, Weezer, The Strokes, The Cure, Bauhaus, Cocteau Twins, The Cribs, Cut Copy, Modest Mouse, Violent Femmes

The thing about rock is that it doesn't have to be a "artistic masterpiece revolutionary pivotal album" type thing. Just don't think to hard.

Even based Paul approves. Is there any reason not to like Black Beatles?

>peaked with Buddy Holly and Bo Diddley

Literally le wrong generation.

>Pixies
They're pretty good. Only listened to Doolittle, though. Here Comes Your Man has a sort of 60s pop vibe to it that I get into.
>Siouxsie and the Banshess
Haven't listened to
>Talking Heads
Only listened to Remain in Light which felt closer to funk and disco than rock, to me.
>The Flaming Lips
Again, I dunno if I'd call the one album of theirs I listened to rock. It was sort of baroque-pop-ish with psychedelic pop aspects.
>Weezer
Haven't listened to
>The Strokes
Haven't listened to
>The Cure
Haven't listened to
>Bauhaus
Haven't listened to
>Cocteau Twins
Haven't listened to
>The Cribs
Never heard of
>Cut Copy
I listened to their last two albums. The 2011 one, whose name eludes me, was closer to dance pop. Had sort of a new romantic meets balaeric beat vibe to it. I mean if these guys are rock I might have to reconsider. When I think "rock" I think of AC/DC and Zeppelin and King Crimson
>Modest Mouse
Really really can't stand, despite my best efforts.
>Violent Femmes
I listened to Kiss Off once about a year ago and remember nothing about it. I guess this counts as a "Haven't listened to"

When it comes to rock, sure. Other genres are doing well for themselves right now, though.

it's rock (54-89) indie (90-12)

On this note can I get a rec for contemporary indie/rock related music? I'm mostly a fan of 90s alt and the Strokes

Rock in Opposition revival when?

when rock stops being made by some rich kids faggots with no ideas

>indie (90-12)

I'm not a rich faggot and I'm bitter enough to make anti-cap music. I should get on it.

Why am I not hearing anything about Incubus? I feel as if their music is the direction rock should go. If the genre doesn't want to die out, it must keep being updated. The use of synths and digital sounds in general are becoming the future. If they are used tastefully with instruments, they create a whole new, modern timbre that sounds just fantastic. Even their newer stuff sounds quite progressive, and they have been around for like 20 years.

>it must keep being updated
That is totally incompatible with the current values of rock music. Rock now places a higher value on traditionalism and "respect" than remaining an artistically viable form of music. Using electronic instrumentation is blasphemous.

You forgot alt rock. Its basically where rock evolved to keep up... sometimes poorly

Theres nothing wrong with synth free 3-4 piece rock bands. Theyre not big now, doesnt mean the genre wont resurge in one form or another

The term "alternative rock" is utterly useless and has been since Nevermind. An album that sold 30 million copies is "alternative"... how? Nowadays it just means "pop rock". We think Jet, Wolfmother and The Black Keys are "alternative rock" now.

I think what you think of as rock is what most other people would consider "classic rock"

Possibly? But I really just don't see it at all in the case of Remain in Light or Zonoscope. Once we accept them as "rock" it's bedlam.

What constitutes being "rich" for you?

this is for the most part true, but there's quite a psych resurgence happening

will we ever get another era that is dominated by big band music?

Not until the fedoras get bored of it

That can be changed by slowly pushing generation by generation
Surely not. I consider Pearl Jam more alternative than grunge on a lot of stuff. The world is so saturated with music, it just takes some digging to find just about anything you can imagine. At the same time, is that what the people before us thought?

What do fedoras listen to? No one on this board can come to a consensus.

I want to stab every burger/beach goth kid. They're not only destroying the scene they're fucking spitting on it. Fuck them all.

>"here's my opinion"
>"haven't listened to it"

Should I have lied?

I am not a fedora type, as a jazz musician, I can attest to seeing some of the dumbass kids, especially back in high school wearing that shit to competitions and school and shit, yet they didn't even know what the fuck they were doing

Holy Moly which subreddit brought you here

r/cringe

no you should just not think your opinion is valid

On those artists? Sure. I agree. Which is why I didn't offer an opinion.

>the cribs

you poor thing

awful large pronouncements from some kid who has listened to no music

I know, right? Where do I come off?

>where do i come off
uh, 'where do you get off'?

these might help:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English-language_idioms
and
4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Essential_Charts

>4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Essential_Charts
Oh boy! I can't wait to fit in!

>thinking its about narratives and social posturing, and not about the music
try reddit too

It becomes a more attractive prospect with each new response.

indie started with the smiths

Good because
YOU
NEED
TO
GO
BACK

Conor Oberst is my favourite musician.

thank fucking god

Good, fuck off and die.

The decrease in rock music's popularity and the rise of hiphop and electronic reflects the lowering white population. It's not likely.

We'll probably get another era of pop-punk or something like that

Why do the people of Sup Forums still care about what's popular?

neo-Sup Forums cares about popularity.

emo is very reliant on being relatively underground. look at what happened when it went mainstream in the early-mid 00s. we still haven't recovered.

the bands that would've led that resurgence are already 3-5 albums deep. if it hasn't happened for them yet, it won't.

No, and I'm glad.

Indie music had too much attention on it the last 10-20 years. Bands that could've made unique & brilliant raw albums went full-blown generic b/c there was actually a mass market for it for the first time... The Strokes, Modest Mouse, The Killers, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire etc.

In the 2010s, there's been a smaller but more dedicated audience, which has allowed better-yet-weirder bands who may have been ignored 10 years ago to have some modest success. Think Deerhunter, Parquet Courts, VietCong... Arguably, you could add Mac Demarco and Tame Impala to that list too -- even the biggest indie bands are still pretty damn weird by 2000s standards.

How is Tame Impala weird by any standards?

can you reccomend me more albums like Deerhunters Halcyon Digest?

Is this literally a thread full of people who think indie is a genre?

>Is this literally a thread full of people who think indie is a genre?

It's an economic genre, which is remarkably honest reflection of how music functions in our society.

Nah.

White people love hip hop and edm gtfo

The cribs are good mang, brings me back to when I was young. Men's Needs Woman's Needs, Whatever was one of the first physical albums I bought

But black people don't like rock

you haven't lived around a lot of black ppl

Grimes is already dated senpai

no, we already did it you dumbass. maybe a new kind of guitar music will dominate, but it wont be indie rock because there is no novelty factor to indie rock

electronic music is white retard

pretty soon probably. Hip Hop has dominated music culture since the early to mid 00s. The genre is going into a less lyric, more sonic driven sound, which will eventually lead to (and already kinda has) the beat and production being the only substance. Drake probably won't be at the top much longer, and with the multitude of music platforms, there's never going to be another artist that dominates the way Drake or Wayne did. The bandcamp lo-fi indie rock will eventually become big as fuck. It's only a matter of time until people get bored of Drake, Ye, Yachti, Chance, and the like.

Electronic dance music came out of Berlin, Chicago and Detroit mostly. And then later England, France, etc.

In america, house was basically an evolution of disco, so it was pretty black

rock also came from black people but its not black anymore is it

there is literally nothing going on in chicago except for the footwork scene there, electronic dance music is in london, berlin, bristol and not many other places

>there is literally nothing going on in chicago
There are literally tons of rock-based bands in Chicago.

there are tons of rock based bands everywhere mate that doesnt mean a ting boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

im a rapper from the south side who also plays guitar simultaneously if that helps, cant wait to shoot this music video!

>the genre is going into a less lyric, more sonic driven sound

yeah because instrumental hip-hop has never been popular

Dude, when nevermind dropped Nirvana was still playing in podunk venues, there wasn't a lot of great marketing there.
I dunno about Jim Morrison, I think the doors suck.

>there are tons of rock based bands everywhere
That does make it a thing, actually

Nice try though
I don't care

No, because rock is establishment at this point and won't inspire youth in the same numbers/percentage it did in the past. It's also too white. Not a sjw, but the vast majority of non-white people I know lean towards hip-hop or edm more than other genres and I don't see their tastes shifting.

>grouping the doors with freaking nirvana

fuck you

yea ok buddy listen out for Blakkae on the radio on day

>Dude, when nevermind dropped Nirvana was still playing in podunk venues
1,000-person capacity clubs are Podunk?

Man, I love that gif

all of the hip hop artists blowing up today rely on the production to carry them. there's hardly any substance. especially Gambinos new shit. I mean yeah artsy music is great, but not the way hip hop is currently doing it. it's boring as fuck and offers nothing of lasting value. It really says something when Sup Forums and even most critics hold Danny Brown's album to a higher esteem than Drake, Ye, Chance, Frank, etc etc who all released albums this year.

I don't care

listen to their other albums

oh shut up