/daily/ - /daily/ Edition

This is a /daily/ thread

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>/daily/ makes charts here

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>/dailyl/ plays music here

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>/daily/ dot com

discord.gg/s5Rv7zJ
>/daily/ discusses things

Most importantly, /daily/

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9wA_S8TlLu0
youtu.be/MreXYqelGPM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

burp

Hello, is this the /daily/ thread?

One more spot left if anyone else wants to join in.
Unless I missed em, I'm waiting for recs from FlyingIceWizard, Darklands and Leftov.

Added!

fuck radiohead

me
restrictions?

what's a daily

first person to post a foto of shinji I've never seen before gets five fliptillion dollars

you're getting black metal then

Lol, was gonna say the only rule is that 2 hours album length is the max.

Fuck it, I'll give that album a shot

I'll take a check please

hello will this do?

>tfw bored by music but don't really wanna engage with anything else in particular atm
doesn't that new pokemon release today or was that next week? can't wait to get bored after an hour or two and never pick it up again

ok check em

Good digits, recommended

that pic is gay

seen all of these try again

Not enough money desu

youtube.com/watch?v=9wA_S8TlLu0

fuck

morning pals

>Nagy Feró és a Bikini - Hova Lett...
Not great. The prog influence didn't work much at all for me and songs like 'Ótyi-tyótyi - Ping-pong' were just cringeworthy. 2/5

>Pelt - Ayahuasca
Honestly I'm slightly disappointed by this. The pure drone segments were alright but tended to drag on a bit but the parts that had a bit of a folk/country influence were fucking fantastic, like the Henry Flynt-esque 'The Cuckoo' and the Fahey influenced Raga Called John (part 1 and 3 anyway). The drones on their own weren't that interesting but when they start playing over the top of them it's lovely. I don't know what to rate this really, the highs were very high but they only made up a third of the album at most. But i think the highs are high enough for me to give it a 4/5 since i did enjoy the drone segments a decent amount anyway.

>Pink Anderson - Carolina Blues Man
There's nothing that really stands out about this but I like Country Blues and he did a good enough job for me to enjoy it. It's not very emotional and he's no virtuoso but it does the job. 3+/5

>Phil Spector - Back to Mono (1959-69)
I haven't listened to all of this yet desu but I loved The Crystals already and Spector's production is nearly always great. The sound he gets on those drums is so good. As expected from a massive compilation like this there's a couple of shit songs but overall it's great pop music. 4/5 shame he's a murderer tho like

gotta listen to it real loud so you get ASMR'd

Kanye 2020

disappointment of the year tbf
youtu.be/MreXYqelGPM
I like my cheesy """prog meal""" a bit less cheesy mkay

ykno i usually love glitchy vocals but this sounds like ass

Ikr. They should just go back to making fun, melodramatic cringecore. They're taking themselves wayyy too seriously.

Hello /daily/!

I'm at the airport for the next 3 hours so give me 2 albums (from Spotify) to listen to. First come, first grab :)

Also here's a dramatic picture of me from college days

Is that Jandek?

No, it's Jandank

Never heard of him.

was gonna ask where to start but this kinda seals it

Bob Dylan Bootleg 4

Thats cause you don't listen to music and shitpost full time now

Eric Holm - Barotrauma

This is true.

Sad I missed this but you're listening to Watkin Tudor Jones and Destroyer already so I'm gonna call that a win

Listening to it now. There is something about Dylan's delivery that still makes me want to rip my ears off from time to time but the stripped down song versions work well

Btw listened to 2 Unfinished Music volumes. Two Virgins was Revolution 9 2.0. I dig it but it was nothing mind blowing. Just tape music with some taste and Yoko's vocals, which I actually like.

Life with Lions is much more interesting. John Lennon playing feedback guitar and blues inspired free improv wank is something absolutely surreal to me, even after hearing Ono's Plastic Ono Band. Cambridge 1969 and Mullberry are wonderful, everything in between ranges from meh to good

Morning /daily/!
School's starting to get crazy leading up to finals so I'll probably slow down on posting, especially music reviews and whatnot.

drop is a cuck

The first disc is what really won me over, to be honest I could take or leave his rock stuff although it does have a few good moments.

Comedy gold.

I never even used What.CD

I don't know how I missed this last year, this is really good. I only wish he laid off the heavy effects on it because I think his compositions carry themselves pretty well on their own. Plus I think the black metal kind of stuff here is far less interesting than the psych folk elements. Apparently it's just one dude, which is impressive/discouraging if you've ever tried the solo project thing, because he's all over the map here. Sort of Murmuüre vibes. 7.5-8/10

Just finished an exam on Adolf Eichmann!

Japandroids - Post-Nothing
Surprisingly listenable, did not expect this at all, it's really fun emo, takes me right the fuck back to highschool. Will definitely relisted to this one, it's probably going to go up in the future

The Bats - Daddy's Highway
I saw the r8s on RYM and this album is pretty much universally panned by all that listened to it here, fuck all yall it's actually quite good, again, will listen to more of it because it's got this really daggy bedroom twee/shoegaze feel to it
basically I dig it
Ping @ Nyarl, listen to this, you will like it

Graham Lambkin - Salmon Run
It's really eh

The Band - The Band
Kinda dug this, although it's a bit unusual of me since I don't really fall head over heels for this type of stuff
Will relisten I don't think I got all I could out of it because I didn't listen to the lyrics with absolute dillegence.

Popul Vuh - In den Garten Pharaos
I had little patience for this, it takes 25 minutes to get good, but then it got really good and then lost me again

Review Adolf Eichmann next.

Do Mingus

Is this poseurcore?

Sorry you missed it man :/ Well, if none of the missing spots give me a rec, I might add you in lol

Why would I bother listening to non-poseur music?

that's their worst album though (though idk, you might like it since it's basically nu-metal); you're better off getting The Perfect Element Part I imo

A lot more hip-hop on my collage than I was expecting. Haven't finished the Tribe album, though it's good so far.

Is that Guaraldi worth a listen?

tracks i've been loving this week
>Condor Ave. by Elliott Smith
>Web in Front by Archers of Loaf
>Lose by Dino Jr.
>I Want to Be Cold by The Microphones
>All Souls Day by Unwound

how's Leonard Cohen? I feel like I should try again to get into him
neat, bonus points for Low and Outkast

>Review Adolf Eichmann
I respectfully refuse

Back in Riga! Comfy as fuck with a beer desu.

listened to this Felt like drowning in a submarine.

oh hey clem

Wow, cool Clem pic. Please review Adolf Eichmann tho.

I mean I suppose
He's kinda evil and uh, kinda boring as well

(legit can recommend the book Eichmann in Jerusalem, it's one of the most interesting books I've ever read)

>(legit can recommend the book Eichmann in Jerusalem, it's one of the most interesting books I've ever read)
(I was legit looking at that and wondering if it's worth picking up so that's kind of a nice thing you did there bringing it up like that)

Le Nerd Cone

the pose, not the note, melody nor any kind of syntax, works as the generative cell of pop music

well if that was them being "serious" it makes sense to go right for the least serious, and then go for the stuff in between. least thats how i approach midly large discographies

The fact that Kim Deal has an identical twin creeps me out

Your rec was Gilberto's s/t but which one? Apparently he has one from '61 and another from '73 lmao

'73

F___

lip

ry (top)

rig off nerd

God I am so disappointed in the new pokemon game, I was so Hyped, will play for 2 hours more tomorrow and then might return it

my posts are always so successful

What did you expect? Did you play X and Y? Shit was easy-mode yo.

3 > 2 > 4 > 5 > 1 > 6 > 7 btw

Flap

flop

n, good show

thanks love you

Played X+Y as well as ORAS, liked both

controversial oppinion
4 > 2 > 5 > 3 > 6 > 1 > 7

np

Okay cool, thanks

(if you genuinely are interested also check out Christopher Browning's Ordinary Men and Ian Kershaw's The Nazi Dictatorship, Problems and Perspectives of Interpretation)

Didn't care for X as much, but I actually really enjoyed ORAS. I'm cool with my pokemon experience stopping there though.
5 and 4 are very underrated and were probably the most balanced competitively
2 is very close to the best
1 is unbalanced shit for nostalgiabros
I will die for Emerald any day idec

thanks love you

(wishlisted both, thanks)

aots tbqh

so what's wrong with it?

>Lil Ugly Mane - Mista Thug Isolation
I'm torn on this album as there are some aspects of it that really resonated with me while there were others that i didn't enjoy much at all. I really loved the chopped and screwed vaporwave style that some of the songs had. The instrumentals in general were extremely engaging and full of things to listen for with creative uses of samples throughout. I liked the jazz beats mixed with the dark tone of the whole thing. I wasn't really a fan of the rapping or lyricism at all though. It had some creative rhyming and an impressive flow, but a lot of the time it just felt flat and uninspired. This album is too long with a lot of filler that doesn't take advantage of the creative production techniques used on songs like Radiation (Lung Pollution) and Twistin. blue triangle/10

desu any opinion is correct as long as u recognize gen 1 was objectively shit (guess the remakes are aight tho but kanto's still weakest region overall). I hear p much everyone pan XY but I never played em, if they're really that easy tho I wouldn't like them.

Is hampus here? There's a good chance the next what.cd will be named after you. You should be proud.

what.hampus?

ham.pus

His other material is definitely worth checking out.
I feel the same way about mista thug isolation. His lyrics are obviously not meant to be taken seriously, but they still can get annoying.
I enjoy his lyricism way more on Uneven Compromise and Oblivion Access. His instrumentation is a lot harsher and noisier though.
For more of that jazzy feel, check out Third Side of Tape. Though that beast is a compilation album consisting of mostly unfinished material, it's still worth a listen.
You can always listen to Absence of Shitperson which contains the instrumentals to mista thug isolation.

>Is that Guaraldi worth a listen?
Its a pretty nice set melodically and worth a listen if you're into piano jazz, but the backing band is a little stale.

>how's Leonard Cohen?
Dead.

Le Asocial Cone

lol

Preemptively bookmarked

shave nerd

>Condor Ave. by Elliott Smith
fucking tight

I saw you haven't rated Figure 8 or New Moon yet. Those are probably my least favorite of his next to From a Basement, but they're very worthwhile.

pretty much this Uneven Compromise is an essential.

hamp.us would work actually but it's taken by another hampus :/

Ill be sure to check out more of his stuff cause i really like the style he's going for.

its dat time again!!!
>the pop group - y
just like metal box, not nearly as weird as i was expecting. quite enjoyable.
>darkside - psychic
the first few tracks were great but it dropped off a bit. still enjoyable sort of poppy ambient style

Hampboy advances!(sry jumbo)
greatest tournament of all time!

worst trounament of all time.

fridaaaaaaay
got a lot to listen through

Can I rec Gang of Four - Entertainment!

Robbie Basho - Visions of the Country

neither are exactly obscure recs but you should listen to them

Bunch of new stuff! Moving along great.

Ryoji Ikeda - Dataplex

I'll be honest and say that I have no idea what to think of this thing. It's the essence of "computer music" for sure. It's grating, unpleasant, but strangely well crafted and composed. There is a definite sense of form and function, but I definitely did not enjoy this. But I didn't hate it? I don't know man.

?????

Asobi Seksu - s/t

Cool little dream pop album, but not as good as their follow-up, Citrus. Fun j-pop influenced tracks with a touch of twee, but little to know musical substance. A good musical equivalent to Skittles, very sweet, but it hurts after a while. Would be really nice for a 15 minute EP, but the 40 minute runtime becomes really rough towards the end. Still, nice guitar and vocal work throughout.

EHH.

Ghost - Hypnotic Underworld

Awesome album. I've been a fan of Michio Kurahara's work with Boris, but this is my first Ghost album, and I really enjoyed it. The opening track, split into four, is a really engaging muscial journey, and the shorter tracks are great as well. Nice varied instrumentation and killer guitar work permeate the album, and the band really knows how to write music that doesn't get boring in the longer tracks. The track Kiseichukan Nite is a low point, probably because it's largely spoken word I only know a little Japanese. Other low points include the somewhat stunted nature of the tail end of the opener. Still, a really enjoyable listen with awesome instrumentation and composition. Check this out for sure.

GOOD.

Various - Katamari Fortissimo Damacy

Nostalgia bomb for me. This was and still is one of my favorite video games ever, and I'm not sure why I never revisited the awesome music this game had. It's just a stupidly catchy set of swing, electronic, pop, jazz, etc. All the hooks and riffs are really, really infectious. It may be nostalgia talking, but I feel like this is definitely one of the best video game soundtracks ever. Perfectly quirky.

GOOD.