ITT: Pop albums that are better than Pet Sounds

ITT: Pop albums that are better than Pet Sounds

Pic related.

Yes but not by that much. They're both good.

>They're both good.
Don't get me wrong, I dig Pet Sounds.

But, man, Madonna '83 is just somethin' else. I'm a little flabbergasted that it's not as fellated as Pet Sounds is.

That's because albums like Purple Rain and Thriller overshadowed it, understandably so as they were better (again not by that much though, I love The First Album). But you're right, this album deserves a lot more praise than it gets.

Purple Rain I can sorta see (the first side has a couple of hiccups) but man I do not get the hype around Thriller. Outstanding singles, yes. But some of those deep cuts are rough. Madonna 83 is super consistent all the way through.

Pro tip: It doesn't exist. Possibly Ziggy Stardust if you want to count that as pop.

>Possibly Ziggy Stardust if you want to count that as pop.
I do count it as pop. Also I don't think it's even slightly good. The hype for that one just completely missed me.

Sufragette City and Moonage Daydream are... okay? I suppose?

you just stated like my exact opinion at age 14 of the record

>you just stated like my exact opinion at age 14 of the record
14 year old me thought Ziggy Stardust was the best album ever. Maybe we swapped bodies at some point. I dunno.

lolhaha

Basia - The Sweetest Illusion
Basia - London Warsaw New York
Basia - Time & Tide
Basia - Basia On Broadway
Mariah Carey - Mariah Carey
Janet Jackson - Control
Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation 1814
Level 42 - True Colours
Level 42 - World Machine
Level 42 - Running in the Family
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Spice Girls - Spice
Steely Dan - Aja
Gino Vannelli - Powerful People
The Manhattan Transfer - The Manhattan Transfer
The Manhattan Transfer - Mecca For Moderns
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Michael Jackson - Off The Wall
Michael Jackson - Bad
The Cardigans - Life
Chic - Chic

>The Manhattan Transfer - The Manhattan Transfer
>The Manhattan Transfer - Mecca For Moderns
>Michael Jackson - Thriller
>No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
Replace these four with these four
>Diana Ross - Diana
>Change - The Glow of Love
>Aaliyah - Aaliyah
>D'Angelo - Voodoo
...and then you've got a list.

All of them, since Pet Sounds is hot garbage that sounds dated as fuck

Are you insane? Thriller is one of the most important albums of the 20th Century. The Manhattan Transfer is at least 10 times better than all of those artists on the bottom (I love me some Luther Vandross and Change though).

The Manhattan Transfer is probably 10 times better than any of the artists that I listed too (except for Basia, Gino Vannelli, and Level 42, they're all on the same level).

>The Manhattan Transfer is at least 10 times better than all of those artists on the bottom
In the interest of preserving the good humour of this thread all I'm going to say is that I, personally, strongly disagree. Very strongly.

Madonna is criminally underrated, Ray of Light, True Blue and her debut album are both fantastic and hugely influential

Like a Prayer, too?

She doesn't get respect because, to be fair, her output since Ray of Light has been rough. Confessions was alright, I suppose.

ray of light is shit and the most poisonous pop album of the last 20 yrs

>mfw when your heart's not open

Prefab Sprout - Steve McQueen

honestly i'm too pleb for pet sounds

>ITT: Popalbums that are better than Pet Sounds

There was this band from Liverpool England back in the 1960s called The Beatles see and they put out this album in the summer of 1966 called Revolver.

It's really quite good and unlike pic related it has stood the test of time.

Ask your grandparents about it. They might highly recommend it.

no

composition really plays second fiddle when it comes to pop music, brian can use as many deceptive cadences as he wants it won't change that. it's just about image associated with both the artist and youth culture (aside from hooks obviously) so yeah bowie and madonna would have some serious contenders for best pop album, the beatles too, but the beach boys? i have no idea actually, maybe moreso as a surf rock band

yes. much better than pet sounds in every way.

Pet sounds only has 2 (two) good songs

>wouldn't it be nice
>god only knows

The beatles were much better

Yes like a prayer too.

Confessions is okay but the first half is the best, it gets boring quickly as well.

>music is only what I say it is!

That's not She's So Unusual.

>we're at the point now where people are calling Madonna "underrated"

Seriously Sup Forums?

>makes this comment without listening to her music

fuck off

Critically? She absolutely is. She's just "that pop star that done did "Vogue"

Cool digits. But Revolver doesn't even come close to doing what Pet Sounds does emotionally and musically.

If you think Wouldn't It Be Nice and God Only Knows are the best songs on Pet Sounds then you clearly have never listened to it.

This.
I really like a lot of Bowie albums, but Ziggy Stardust just doesn't seem to click for me.

Back to your containment thread.

Get out. The quints have declared it so.

Art Angels is better than Madonna's debut and Pet Sounds COMBINED. Prove me wrong if you can.

Not even nearly the best DM album.

this thread is missing

ace of base
britney spears
backstreet boys
nsync

>stood the test of time
what, with shitty studio effects and backwards guitars? revolver has aged awfully. pet sounds uses conventional classical instruments for 90% of the album, and occasional unique sounds recorded but not changed in the studio. And the wall of sound production still sounds new today. Its timeless

I love Blondie.

Love the album, but I gotta say it has a big drop off after the first two songs. Like a Prayer is light-years ahead of it, especially if you're trying to make the Pet Sounds comparison.

>in my opinion
there's not much to be gathered from radio pop if you're gonna analyze it harmonically or something so why not opt for a different viewpoint

pink tape is the best kpop album imo and f(x) is best group

>ITT: Pop albums that are better than Pet Sounds
No such thing

But OP provided an example. See?

Dude...

Best pop album in the last 39 years.

>just listened to pet sounds
>does not get the fuss about it
>seems almost gay

Can someone explain WHY THE FUCK is Pet Sounds the Ulysses of music?

carly rae

Listen to it more.

fucking this

>seems almost gay
Well you're still more articulate than most Stereogum writers.

Reddit contrarians who still wear diapers: the thread

kek

Animal Collective is shit and you know it.

The only good thing about this album is the cover art