New Tactic

Is this the tournament that the 5-4-1 / 3-5-2 becomes the new meme tactic?

For a while now teams have been playing the 4-5-1 with cutty in wingers as a favorite tactic across Europe.

But as we can see from Wales and Italys success. This 3 at the back tactic that can become 5 with full backs playing pretty much as wingers when attacking is a very effective way of playing football and almost always wins out when played against tiki taka/ cutty in wingers.

When the Hazard / Ronaldo / Robben player cuts in and beats his full back, because you have 3 at the back he simply runs into the next Centre Back allowing your team to break quickly with 1 Centre Forward and attackers in fluid positions.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FIFA_World_Cup_Final
twitter.com/AnonBabble

is this 1986?

Don't be surprised if we get a very boring final of Italy-Wales and both teams playing this formation

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FIFA_World_Cup_Final

didn't napoli popularize this formation a few years ago? and then conte started using it at juve? It's been around for a while.

but your image is a 3-4-3

Yea mazzarri was using it in 2009 and they finished top 5 after being promoted the previous year and the other sides started using it. First Udine, then Inter, then Juve etc.

who were mazzarri's best players that made that system work?

Formations don't really exist in todays games. Guardiola and Mourinho changed that, instead of one formation that can be exploited easily over 90 minutes, there's multiple formations depending on where/who/when the ball is played.
If you looked at Bayerns or Atleticos formation during the game, you would see it be 8-2 vs 2-3-5 because it always changes. Most coaches let individual players stay at certain positions, yes, but they wander alot depending on the type of player.
Look at any Barca game and you'll see the front three change quite often. Same for the midfield

Hamsik, cavani and levezzi in front.

Literally who in midfield

Cannavaro (paolo), campagnaro, gamberini at the back

Off the top of my head, it was:

De Sanctis
Campagnaro - Cannavaro - Aronica
Maggio - Gargano - Inler - Zuniga/Dossena
Lavezzi - Hamsik
Cavani

yeah i remember the front three for sure

the wing backs made that formation work with their tireless running

and come on Inler and Behrami were a good combo

This is international tournament, not club football. Different rules apply and this won't start a new tactics meme.

Yeah the back 3 never developed enough to really challenge for the top. They had gamberini, aronica, grava, fucking santacroce and others come through but it was the attack and cannavaro (de sanctis too) that got them to the point they did.

>new
you summerban or something?

its an old tactic that has resurfaced due to its effectiveness in pressing/countering (off ball movements) especially in recent times against tikitaka
>muh possesion

the dutch already did a variant of it in 2014 to devastating effect, yes the bellend van lel, got it right
which ironically is also why they failed to qualify this time around
>muh totaalvoetbal

352 started in club football though.

"kekdiola" & "busriƱo" meme.

Rinus,El Loco Bielsa, menotti, bilardo, Sir. alex, Bianchi, "Carleeetoh", Helenio Herrera, Happel.

>dat flag
>this sport

I'll tell you what though, Rinus Michels had it right. He always said you should have an extra man on defense. Meaning if you're up against a team with 2 strikers then a 3 men back line is good but against a 4-3-3 you need something with 4 defenders.

There's no many phases to a game like what said but really I think what makes a good manager are the individual task he assigns a certain player. Once everyone is plugged in to their role it builds a better overall picture that only a brain like Mou and Pep can have as their end goal. Mou is much more flexible in his approach cause Pep is always going play the same.

static formations has stopped existing for quite some time tho

in can be generally divided into 2
with & without the ball

coaching schools have picked up on it for quite some time; and although i'm not denying pep/mou's genius, the problem is you cant really apply it with sunday league players

with top world class players like pep/mou has it does really shine tho

>4-5-1 with cutty in wingers as a favorite tactic across Europe
That's just 4-3-3.

oops my bad Indonesia bro, I had a typo. Didn't mean to type in no. I meant to say There's so many phases to a game.

If only Italy had that midfield of Marchisio, Verratti and De Rossi fit

yes, agreed ameribro

the higher the level of the players/coaches you can see more specialized tactics/formations being applied on the fly in response to specific situations

Maggio was a fucking beast. This would never work without him

Pretty much yep

It's what the meme teams Norn Ireland and Slovakia tried to play against Germany. Germany countered it with a 2 - 2 - 6 in possession.

you can shit on defensive football all you want but it only works with players who can solve situations 6v2 and so on

just look at the goals of wales, those long balls and ballhandling
top notch

>Guardiola and Mourinho changed that,
wanna know how i know you started watching football a few years ago?

>Guardiola and Mourinho changed that
>that flag
>this sport

bitch, changing formations depending on the phase of the match has been a thing since the Helenio Herrera's days

>before mourinho and guardiola players couldn't walk anywhere unless they were precisely In line in a 4231 formation

In recent years both coaches have become the best at changing shapes to change matches but they didn't even invent that

5-3-2 is Italy's traditional formation, there's nothing new about it.

This thread is something a retard 14 year old would write.