Say, does anyone know if it's safe to torrent at a hotel?

Say, does anyone know if it's safe to torrent at a hotel?

no?

Idk OP
Thought id reply
Bump

Definitely, probably the safest place there is, it can never be traced back to you

They gave me a password for the wifi, do you think it's room specific or the same for everyone?

interesting...

sauce?

the webserver will have a proxy log with your web requests that can be tracked back to your unique layer 2 address (and most likely hostname)

Why does it matter? Are the cyber police after you?

I work at a hotel and it's where I do all my torrenting. Haven't had a problem yet, 5 years in.

So they can see who torrents?

No, I'd just rather not deal with any potential fallout. I guess there's not much a cheap hotel would do about it though, is there?

We don't keep track of shit.

They reset it often. They could do both it depends on their setup. It's their network. First they have to sue the IP then the hotel and then trace it back to you. At which time all records are probably gone and you plead the 5th

Tldr it's a torrent at a hotel. People go there to fuck hookers and sell crack. That's probably what your room was used for last night

it would be unlikely.. but if the hotel gets a DMCA complaint from their ISP they MAY have someone in your IT department trace the logs by timestamp

by your i mean their

yeah.. it would all depend on the type of server they have for the guest internet service

use a proxy and macchanger if your paranoid

and make sure your hostname isnt your first name, last name, and SSN heh

....everything is perfect here except the rock section

lol... hotel is probably the safest place to torrent, because there is no way for them to tell which user was the one on the wifi. The only way that would be possible is if you were the ONLY guest there and even then, it could be an employee so there is no way to know for sure unless they got a hold of your laptop to check the MAC.

safer than touching the remote, probably