This album is shit and you know it

This album is shit and you know it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyrhythm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I rather enjoy it. A lot.

>i'm a pleb and you know it

yeah so what i love shit music and there's nothing you can do to stop me FUCKER

I get that some people might not be able to appreciate just how eccentric this album is.
I just don't get why these people try so hard to convince others that it's bad simply because they didn't get it.

this

I like it. You don't like it. That is okay.

>tfw used to be on the tmr sucks side
>tfw now its my favorite album
who else unironically likes it here? it's a really funny and entertaining album, it just takes some getting used to the free-jazz like sound

I like it. I own it on vinyl. I do think it's a tad overrated in some circles because the eccentric image overshadows the flaws in musicianship/mixing and mastering. Prefer Lick My Decals Off, Baby because while it doesn't have the whacky aesthetic, the weirder parts are far crazier than TMR's with the whole package sounding far less messy. Either way TMR is far from being shit though.

>eccentric

it's just the blues nigga.

You're retarded if you think this album is "just the blues"

Why did they leave those outtakes in the album? Like the one where some dudes and a girl interrupt Hair Bake: 1 or when they fuck up the Fast and Bulbous part in Pena?

they weren't trying very hard to make a perfect album, which is incidentally how they ended up making a perfect album.

Wtf I love generic pop music now.

>Like the one where some dudes and a girl interrupt Hair Bake: 1
I don't think they interrupted the band, it seems like they're just talking to Beefheart after perfoming.

it's a white boy pretending to be howlin' wolf with meme lyrics and terrified session musicans doing what the surly man on acid says.

I like it a lot but it is simply a blues album elevated to meme status by pretentious faggots. and it's not in the top three beefheart albums; especially not if you rate it because it is 'eccentric'.

Thats not a very accurate statement. Captain Beefheart meticulously composed these songs down to every single note and then had the band rehearse these songs for hours and hours a day for 8 months. Beefheart was trying very hard to achieve perfection.

>TMR is simply a blues album
>meme lyrics

phew

this, it's more like they were trying make it seem like they weren't trying.

But I'm saying you're retarded if you think the album is just blues. If you hear DaliĀ“s Car, Ella Guru, Pena, Sugar n Spikes, or numerous other songs on the album and that translates as blues to you, you're seriously retarded. And also no one thinks you're cool because of your contrarian Beefheart opinions, you can ease up a bit bud.

>Sup Forums still can't understand art and music from 50-60 years ago
>Sup Forums still claims to have good taste

this

>mu can't understand art from 50 years ago
Sup Forums literally worships pet sounds

>it's just blues
this album fucking predates post-hardcore and math rock by decades, just blues my ass

And can't get John Cage, Morton Feldman, or Cpt Beefheart

he would agree with me. I stand by my opinion.

I'm curious, what's your favorite Beefheart album, and why?
There are many good ones, but I don't feel like any of them really come close to what he achieved on TMR.
On TMR, he incorporates syncopation and atonality with such ease and he does so without losing track of the grand scheme of things. None of his other albums are as abstract. It'd be a huge stretch to consider TMR blues.

there are people in this board right now that don't get pet sounds though lmao

that conversation at the end of Hair Pie: Bake 1 is one of my favorite moments on the album. it's so clear it sounds like it could've been recorded yesterday outside on the sidewalk in the suburbs. real immersive, especially when you can hear the plane going by and dogs barking in the distance. comfy shit.

He most definitely would not agree with you. Beefheart knew he was making a unique piece of art that went well beyond the blues. There's basis in blues of course, but its not "simply blues." And I don't give a shit, your "opinion" is objectively incorrect.

are you seriously implying he was trying to make "just a blues album"? you must be seriously retarded, if that what true then TMR would sound nothing like it does

Ella Guru is dope as fuck

TIGHT ALSO

Correct.

It's a "novelty" In that it is technically "bad", but you can still enjoy it. Though there's nothing to"get," if you claim otherwise you're just am idiot that doesn't shit about music

I'd suggest that Lick My Decals Off, Baby is on par with TMR. The songwriting is much more focused, the vibraphone/xylophone whatever is a great addition, and is a much more concise album

>it is technically "bad"
you mean subjectively. technically it's pretty fucking impressive.

>Why did they leave those outtakes in the album? Like the one where some dudes and a girl interrupt Hair Bake: 1
I imagine them being invited into the basement to listen to the band perform and then feel uncomfortable and want to leave and I imagine the basement like that dude from Silence of the Lambs.

>you mean subjectively.
No.

Still haven't gotten it yet, eh?

Keep trying. Your taste will evolve someday.

LOL, millennial.

I bet you like Dark Side of the Moon.

There is nothing technically impressive in playing random stuff

But user, it wasn't random. Every song on that album was rehearsed for months and months until they sounded exactly the way Beefheart wanted.

What is taste?
Does it differ?
Is it subjective?

Lmao
Are you really stupid to belive in that?

No but you might have meant to ask something else there

ITT: more discussion of the most overrated 4/10 ever made

Do you think an album has to be great to be fascinating or worth discussing? I don't, necessarily.

all this is just so tiring. i feel like a age a year every time one of these threads happen

It's all about cognitive dissonance.

These millennials are into Animal Collective and Radiohead and think that means they are able to appreciate experimental music.

They know that this highly-celebrated cult album with a reputation for being challenging has been growing in stature for almost 50 years and feel that they should be able to enjoy it right away, but after listening to it once or twice, it doesn't sound good to them.

Therefore, they only have 2 choices to reconcile those conflicting facts. They can:

1) Keep coming back to it until it starts to click (which takes too much patience for most spoiled millennials)

or

2) Tell themselves (and everyone else on Sup Forums) that it's just a meme and that other people only pretend to like it to be contrarian or to gain "indie cred", which is what countless plebs like the OP do here on an almost daily basis

It's sad, really. They just can't bear feeling that they are missing out on something, so they feel the need to try and convince everybody else that there is nothing there.

Nobody on this website is very good at explaining why they like it. I've heard anons literally say "there's nothing to get, I just like it because it sounds good" and thats fine if its actually true but holy shit what is there to like about this album??

>muh millennials
shut the fuck up you millennial fuck. 100% the worst type of poster

Lawl, nigga. Want to talk about MBV?

Theres nothing to talk about, I just like it because it sounds good :^)

mbv is a solid midcard album. not anything to write home about

Safe as Milk is like 9/10 but if your asking for something more TMR than I'd say Shiny Beasts

I seriously doubt he "meticulously" picked each note. He came up with a bunch of melodies and then he and French stuck them together at least somewhat arbitrarily, which is the point, it's supposed to sound disjointed, that's what Beefheart was trying to achieve. Additionally, Beefheart's vocal is out of sync with the music and it's totally wild, which is not really something a perfectionist can hope to achieve. Perhaps you could argue that he was being a perfectionist in the sense that any sound that came out of his mouth while he was singing was fine with him. He had massive confidence in his singing, he probably didn't even think about trying to make his vocal delivery sound "correct". Also, though I'm sure they must have rehearsed these songs quite a lot, I'm also sure it was nothing compared to what a jazz or classical musician does.

Read any of the anecdotes about the album. They were clearly trying to make it appear as though they were trying really hard because they knew that people would think it was just random nonsense. And that's because to some degree it actually is, and that's a big part of what makes the album so cool.

Here's my explanation I've posted here earlier:
>There are certainly some unpleasant and maybe out of place songs (Hair Pie: Bake 1), I agree. But there are also some memorable and enjoyable songs that represent the nature of the album perfectly - Moonlight on Vermont, Pachuco Cadaver, Ella Guru, Frownland. It's about deconstructing Delta blues and blues rock to it's roots and mixing them with avant-garde, jazz, free jazz and experimental motifs. There's polyrhytmic drumming, which is a main part of free jazz, then there are slide guitar and straight up blues licks. Captain's voice might be off putting and harsh on this album, but he's a great blues singer, which is definitely showcased on his less critically and slightly more commercial albums (Unconditionally guaranteed, Bluejeans & Moonbeams). If you're familiar with Howlin' Wolf, Captain's voice is Howlin' Wolf x10.
>Try listening to his first album - Safe as milk. It's a great blues rock album and although it's an indication of things to come, it's still accessible and one of the best in his discography. I understand that it's really hard to appreciate this album and similar albums, if you're not a musican. That's not to say that you need to be a musican in order to enjoy and appreciate music. And of course, you don't have to like every single album you've heard. Polyrhytmic drumming is really common in free jazz, but not in rock and blues, so that's why it sounds off to you. Polyrhytms are two separate rhythms played at the same time - which is impressive from a technical standpoint and impressive in the context of time in which the album was made.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyrhythm
There are examples of how they're used and by which musicians. It's an interesting read.

>Also, though I'm sure they must have rehearsed these songs quite a lot, I'm also sure it was nothing compared to what a jazz or classical musician does.
Dude, read the story about the album on Wikipedia. The way Beefheart treated his band would make JK Simmons blush.

TMR is the only good album ever made

I was thinking more in terms of my classical musician friends practicing for 5-6 hours a day minimum. I'm sure that Beefheart's band practiced a lot, but I seriously doubt it was very concentrated or rigorous practicing.

Oh, and also that those classical musicians are memorizing much more demanding pieces of music.

I don't think there's any way to say that any music is good other than to say it sounds good. Appreciating music for structure or lyrics or its' innovation is cool, but it's doesn't really say anything about whether the music sounds good to you. Sheet music is almost like another art form in of itself.

I can say that I think Beefheart's voice sounds very good on this album, and that it sounds extra good when he sings particular things in particular ways. I can also say that I enjoy the sound of the texture of the music and some of the riffs. But all I'm saying is that I like the sound of it.

It's not so much the enjoyment of listening to the album, it's the enjoyment you get out of telling people you enjoy this album

Describing the way music sounds and what it makes you think and feel in well written English is kind of a talent.

Truer words were never spoken user.

What I like most about the album is the disparity between all of the instruments. You can often hear the guys playing in 2 different time signatures or 2 different keys at the same time, but manage to do so in such a spontaneous way as to avoid the pitfalls of prog or math rock.

I love songs like Hobo Chang Ba, which morph 2-3 times in as many minutes.

I love the sound of bass clarinet, so I the end of Dachca Blues and the intro of Hair Pie really excite me.

I love how the rhythms are very kinetic without ever being allowed to fall into a "groove".

I love how the 3 a cappella pieces are spaced out to break up the more chaotic songs.

I think the guitar motif of "When Big Joan Sets Up" is the best ever recorded.

I certainly didn't like the album the first time I heard it. I had been a fan of Safe as Milk for years, and was disappointed that Trout Mask wasn't more similar. After about 6-8 full listens (I forced myself to play the album while driving to/from work) it started to grow on me, and after 15-20 listens, I couldn't get enough.

Now I consider it one of the best albums of all time.

Actually, Beefheart locked his musicians in a shitty rented house for months and forced them to practice for 12+ hours a day. They had no income aside from welfare checks and were subsiding on a cup of beans a day. Beefheart used all sorts of brainwashing and manipulation techniques (along with starvation) to control his musicians and pit them against one another to keep them from revolting against him. People who visited the house described the scene as "Mansonesque".

The amount of suffering that went into the album is incredible.

stop ruining my acid album

bump

>you just don't get it maaaaaan

Not him but how did the word "objectively" add anything to your argument?

This

High quality album for sure

I agree 100%

That's exactly how i feel about it too user. It's adds a lot of depth to the album imo

you fell for the oldest meme in the book

Not being easily accessible doesn't make an album bad, but it doesn't make an album good either. The album does *some* things right, but it's not impressive or praiseworthy that it takes so many listens to figure those things out.

>implying you're not a millennial

if you're older than 30 and on this board fucking kill yourself. if you're younger than 18 you can't even be on the fucking board