What do you think of her

what does Sup Forums think of grimes

Other urls found in this thread:

pitchfork.com/features/interview/8774-grimes/
vogue.com/13426493/coachella-2016-christine-and-the-queens/
standard.co.uk/lifestyle/esmagazine/grimes-i-always-feel-weird-selling-art-a3188211.html
i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/life-after-whimsy-joanna-newsom-is-no-ethereal-creature
spin.com/2015/11/joanna-newsom-divers-interview/
rookiemag.com/2015/10/joanna-newsom-interview/4/
reddit.com/r/Grimes/comments/4q3o37/other_artists_that_like_grimes/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Angels#Year-end_lists
noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/who-says-girls-cant-find-music-jane-abernethy-tuneyards-grimes
stereogum.com/1710871/grimes-shares-13-lessons-on-being-a-boss/news/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

she doesn't repeat herself, it's hard not to like at least one of her songs

Why don't you tell us, give us something to work with.

Which explains why I like exactly one of her songs
That being Realiti Demo

fuck off

i like that one too senpai

most of mu agrees she's perfect, trolls just see her as an easy target for some reason

Doesn't do anything for me.

The artist of the decade. I'm not memeing. Enough said.

At this point Grimes reminds me of that girl in school that wasn't hot but had a bunch of dudes actively obsessing over her so that shaped her personality and ego into who she is now.

who

AT THIS POINT? user, the following was penned more than 4 years ago by a pre-fame acquaintance of hers in Montreal:
>Some things about Claire’s love life that she will state on the record: “It’s way more hectic than it needs to be,” and it’s always “a dramatic affair.” (I laugh when she says this, remembering that even before Claire became lauded as Grimes, she always had many, er, No. 1 fans.)
pitchfork.com/features/interview/8774-grimes/

Fwiw it isn't only just dudes either:
>You know, we haven’t met yet. We actually wrote to each other all the time. We constantly miss each other. I’m here and she’s gone. I think we are going to properly meet now. So far we’ve been tweeting to each other, like, “When are you available?” And we keep missing each other. It’s like a romantic comedy, where the main characters just miss each other [by] seconds. I’m actually impatient to meet her. I’m preparing to meet her now. To be honest with you, this is why I go to the gym. I want to be in my best shape to meet Claire—I want to be radiant.
vogue.com/13426493/coachella-2016-christine-and-the-queens/

Imo the richest part is that, not only is she fully aware of this phenomenon, it totally creeps her out:
>‘I think,’ she hesitates, ‘I was always a very ugly person until recently. I had terrible hair and bad skin. So the whole thing is pretty odd.’ Her image frowns in the centre of my screen as she struggles for the right words. ‘It’s just... my self-identity is so strongly based on my abilities as an artist and as a producer and an engineer, I’m allergic to the idea of ever being evaluated on my physical appearance. When people are like: “Marry me, Grimes” — I’m like, AGHHHGH. Like I can’t… it’s every day. Marry me, marry me. It’s so weird.’
standard.co.uk/lifestyle/esmagazine/grimes-i-always-feel-weird-selling-art-a3188211.html

I'll bet you consider yourself a "neutral" "bystander" in all of this.

Not even remotely. She's one of the most fascinating people I have ever come across.

I think you need to stop and take a breather. You'll never be with Grimes and your obsession is unhealthy. This is going to turn into a Grimmie situation and you're going to end up killing her and yourself.

Remember, there's already a Grimes thread here:

It's the same white beta male that makes these threads. Then he replies to his own thread pretending to be multiple Grimes fans.

Dude Grimes was popular in 2011 and 2012. She's got great PR but her time has passed. Find a new waifu dude.

>Interviewer: What young artists do you feel an affinity with? I heard you're a Kendrick fan.
>Joanna Newsom: I loved the latest Bjork album, I'm excited about the idea of Grimes. I haven't wrapped my head around the record. I find her so compelling and so unlike anybody else and so incredibly talented, skilled, and fun. I love her. I met her in LA a few months ago, she told me something along the lines of, "I grew up listening to your music". I will say, it made me feel really old for about five minutes, then it made me feel really happy. I was like well, I guess I'm old now, but that's okay because this awesome and amazing young musician likes my music and said that it was special to her when she was younger, so that's great.
i-d.vice.com/en_au/article/life-after-whimsy-joanna-newsom-is-no-ethereal-creature

>I’m super excited that Grimes is getting so much attention for her amazing production too because she’s super, super talented. And she does everything! She produces completely on her own.
spin.com/2015/11/joanna-newsom-divers-interview/

>In terms of people today, as I said, I’m a little out of the loop, but I have noticed I’m really excited by the way that Grimes frames herself, and seems utterly disinterested in her own beauty, which is really exciting to me. Sometimes it’s useful for an idea, and then other times it’s not useful for an idea, and she seems unaffected either way. I like her music as well, and I like what she says.
rookiemag.com/2015/10/joanna-newsom-interview/4/

Are you a PR mole from her label?

The most ridiculous thing I've heard this month. Get your pills, tinfoil hat idiot.

First of all I'm not the OP. However I am the poster of and And no - I am not unhealthily obsessed with Claire Boucher. I am, however - in my capacity as a professional stage actor/singer - absolutely in awe of what she has so far managed to accomplish in her persona as Grimes. And I have yet to meet anyone else in the performing arts with knowledge of her who doesn't feel likewise.

You aren't even trying. Is spamming your client on Sup Forums/Reddit/Tumblr the new "play the song 150 times on a Clear Channel station" exposure gimmick?

grimes posters are mentally ill

I've come across too many bot Grimes "fan accounts" on Instagram and Tumblr. Jesus Christ they spend a shit ton of money on promotion for her. No wonder she's still broke and lives the same way she did post-Visions.

You're retarded. The only posts ITT that are mine are these ones:
Now, stop posting in threads about artists you dislike and just go fuck yourself, autist.

I never said I dislike Grimes. But her time has long passed. These threads are like if Grimes just got discovered yesterday. Or they are spamming done by her label/PR/management. I'm leaning toward the latter.

great point!

How do you know that? For someone that pretends to hate her, you spent too much time "coming across too many bot Grimes 'fan accounts' on Instagram and Tumblr". It's not like they appear all by themselves in your browser. Thou doth protest too much.

>No wonder she's still broke and lives the same way she did post-Visions.
Now you pretend to know about her finances too. Don't you have something better to do that shitposting?

You're stupid and new. Grimes is a legend here since 2012. See the pic attached.

Oh I know a lot about Grimes on a personal level. I do know that she is massively in debt to her label/management. It's called selling your soul for fame.

user, this might be shock you, but some of us (myself included) first only discovered her quite recently. Talented and rightfully critically lauded she might be. But, apart from a handful of key cultural spheres (such as the professional arts community and here on /mu - for God only knows what reason) she honestly isn't all that well known. Yet, at least.

a total qt, also what said

>But her time has long passed.
Oh yeah? Because you said that? Ha ha ha ha!

Here's the redpill: she's more popular than ever. This year there were almost nonstop threads about her, around 90% of them reaching the bump limit (one of them even had over 400 posts). Almost continuous discussions for months!

You know shit.

No way. Barely anyone has her of her. I live in Los Angeles and I am in the industry. She's never been popular. 4AD has been selling a bag of air since 2012.

Let's looks at stats.

1. She sold over 100K copies of Art Angels so far. That's a lot for an indie artist. Remember, she gets a large quota because she's the sole creator of the album (excepting her 2 collaborators).

2. Her videos have millions of views (Genesis alone has over 40 mil. views).

3. Over 940K followers on FB, 676K followers on IG, 581K followers on Twitter.

4. These well known artists are fans of her: reddit.com/r/Grimes/comments/4q3o37/other_artists_that_like_grimes/

5. Pretty high positions on festival lineups and lots of sold out shows.

6. She featured on multiple AOTY lists: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Angels#Year-end_lists

>Barely anyone has her of her.
In mainstream, yes. But she's playing the indie game.

With an advancement paid for by 4AD > Rocnation > Purple PR. She has to work for the rest of her life to pay all that money back.

You don't have the details and you better stop speculating.

You should know 2 things:
1. 4AD was the one that tried to signed her. They wanted her in their roster: noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/who-says-girls-cant-find-music-jane-abernethy-tuneyards-grimes

2. You don't know what deal she signed with Roc Nation (just a mgmt company), but you're delusional if you think she's not smart enough to sign the best contract suitable to her. You're dealing with this kind of person:
>Something I didn’t realize when I started making music was that any entrepreneurial endeavor involves hiring people, creating a company, and becoming a businessperson. So, while you may know me as a musician, in practice I am also a boss. I’m the CEO of two companies, Grimes Creative Corp and Fairy Tour Corp, and I just started Roco-Prime Productions with my brother. This is simultaneously very cool and very stressful. I’m definitely not the best or most experienced boss. I’m also a young, female boss, which can present a very particular set of practical and emotional challenges. Here, I’ve compiled a list of things that have been useful to me while I’ve been figuring out how to be in charge, in the hope that some of them might help any of you who are doing what I’m doing (aka learning as you go).

More here: stereogum.com/1710871/grimes-shares-13-lessons-on-being-a-boss/news/

Really, if you keep saying things out of your ass, you better prove them.

She's okay

she has no ideas what she's doing
mainly ghost produced by bloodpop

You can't go by articles since many of them (if not all of them) are paid-for promotion.

Do you think Roc Nation, 4AD, and the 3 PR firms she has employed work for free?

>trying this hard pretending not be a Grimes faggot

user, seeing as you are posting anonymously on Sup Forums with no outside links to back up any of your vaguely worded claims, it is safe to assume that you are lying through your teeth.

With that said, it is a very well known fact that Grimes is FAR from the most popular person working in the mainstream music industry right now (since she famously plays by her own rules and demonstrably isn't afraid to publicly call out people on their bullshit when she sees fit.) Grimes is - and always has been - extremely popular with outsider-types because that is simply how she rolls. And since the vast majority of people on this planet are NOT music industry insiders, her star-power is bound to continue rising as more people find out about her - assuming she continues putting out music the way she has these past four years or so.

Grimes is alright. She needs to do something fresh soon though.

I like her style in that picture

i'm with her

She does not play by her own rules. She is just another indebted starlet who the music industry labels/pr/management shove down YOUR throat. Like I said before, I work in the industry. She took 4AD/Jay Z's bait and now she is suffering for it.

You are a sucker for buying into the paid promotions, the paid-for music blog hype, 4AD desperately trying to break even with her.

It's not working and you just come across like 4AD's last ditch effort to make something happen with her. If she was going to take off, she would have when Visions came out. It didn't happen. Now those of us in the know have to constantly watch as her firms "re-introduce" and sell her like stale bacon at a supermarket.

Canadian bacon.

user, like I said above - seeing as you are posting anonymously on Sup Forums with no outside links to back up any of your vaguely worded claims, it is safe to assume that you are lying through your teeth.

It is also open knowledge that - at least up until this past year - the majority of her profits have been from touring and NOT traditional record sales. The music industry is just like any other business. People with resources (record labels) invest money in talent (musicians) who create saleable products (records.) Increasingly successful products lead to increasingly larger investments and ever larger dividends for all. And since Grimes has yet to produce a single record that wasn't significantly more successful than the one before it, her long-term success is pretty much assured (again, assuming she continues putting out music the way she has these past four years or so.)

>good friend looks like Grimes
>mfw

she seems like the biggest try-hard in the world.

What's his name?

Ariel

That's a weird name for a boy

oh, he's a pretty weird guy