Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums,

I need to learn C++ for my job. I have to essentially create a program which transforms one format of a product to a different format.

In the past week, I have been cramming myself with C++ as much as possible, but it seems so abstract and I don't see how to apply it. What is the best way to fully grasp the language of C++ (e.g. What sources to use, how to learn, mastering it)

Thanks.

lots and lots of practice. Cpp is a bitch even for experienced programmers.

Hire some gook to do it. Look on eLance or some other site...

great way to improve one's self.....

Go to Caveofprogramming.com, that's where I learned basic syntax.

After that, you pretty much just google exercises and look at open source projects and learn.

Don't expect to be writing actual programs for at least 3+ months.

Good luck user

If you are familiar with programming it will be easy to learn but really hard to use it well let alone master.

C++ is a dying language. There are better things to be doing unless you're really into programming.

dude, tutorial videos online. duh.

Do they want like a full application that has a UI? Or are they fine with just an .exe to do the job? What you described sounds like basic file manipulation, which is pretty fucking easy compared to every other task they could have given you. Are the "products" files?

It is not a dying language by any means, higher level programming languages are being used a lot (php, python, etc) but cpp is still as important as it was.

buy a book. go through it n do the exercises

lmfao what? what are you? some fucking half retarded java or scripting faggot? without C/C++ half the shit you use wouldn't work. kys

this

has got to be bait or user is retarded

Cpp is a bitch. If it wasn't for vectors id quit the shit language in a second. Learn Haskell.

They want me to transfer the original data file (PD0) to a couple different formats. The PD0 File is part of the programming for the ADCP product.

kys

While true, if you just want to write a program, .net is way easier to work with and compiles the same out of visual studio.

...All assuming you are creating a program for Microsoft.

>half the shit you use
Not going to be using

56% of all internet users are on Java/Android or Swift based devices.

yeah ofc. except the backend of google.

Sorry, didn't realize that trying to expand my knowledge on a programming language makes myself autistic.

If it seems abstract, well, it is.
You mean, maybe, pointlessly abstract.
It isn't.

An object binds procedures and functions to a particular item, or set of data. It hides the data from other objects and external code, so you have to manipulate, or access data according to the rules .... The object is the data, the trained labor (methods).

Keep reading other peoples explanations until you have a personal Aha!moment.

An read lots of example code.

>56% of all internet users are on Java/Android or Swift based devices.
People lynch me when I say this, but UWP (Universal Windows Platform: Windows 10/Windows Phone/XboX 360/etc.) is going to take a massive portion of that market in the near future.

Don't bother with the ++ bits for now; C++ is so gigantic that very, very few people know all of the language. Don't fuck around with classes (unless you're really comfortable with them). Especially if you're dealing with static datasets in non-real-time, just use a simple imperative style.

tl;dr: do it as dumb and as brute-force as possible

seems like those files contain very specifically formatted data. Are you certain that the different formats they want to convert the PD0 files to are compatible?

That's the spirit, don't be a fucking nerd.

well don't get hung up on the complicated oo features of c++ if you're cramming to just make a quick hack. c++ like any language can be deep. i assume you know how to program already so just stick to functions and make a c++ program similar in style to the langauge you already know. yeah you won't demonstrate deep knowledge of inheritance, classes, reference vs pointer, etc. but you'll get the job done and improve in the future

Sent from my Android phone

Now, if only these fucking retards could write in C/C++ maybe our devices wouldn't be so fucking slow and shitty.

Do shit.

This. Get some books that Bjarne Stroustrup has released like The Design and Evolution of C++

I am not certain. They told me to learn C++, and basically gave me an overview of the project that I'd be working on.

What this guy said. Just find a video tutorial and do basic syntax exercises and you'll probably be fine. That or just say "hey, I can't do this yet because it's fucking C++, give me more time.".

Trust me, Windows Phone in about 2 years will be the fucking king, and all your apps will be written in C#.

/someone else
I'm pretty deep into C, tried C# for 2 weeks and ended up beeing able to do the basic stuff. The one thing i fail to see is why i would need polymorphism and all that stuff. I can't think of something that would be easier if you'd inherit parts of your program over and over again.
Where do objects make the programmers life easier?

implying the base for all that shit running on mobile devices isn't C/CPP based at the core level