How much impact do you think it would've had back in '67?

How much impact do you think it would've had back in '67?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sTifX3mpnV4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile_(The_Beach_Boys_album)#Reconstructions
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Not much.

Reminder that Smiley Smile was not a great success

you cannont compare those two at all

from a CBS news special in December 1966
>here is a new song – too complex to get all of first time around. It could come only out of the ferment that characterises todays pop music scene. Brian Wilson, leader of the famous Beach Boys, and one of today’s most important pop musicians, sings his own Surf’s Up
>poetic, beautiful even in its obscurity, Surf’s Up is one aspect of new things happening in pop music today. As such, it is a symbol of the change many of these young musicians see in our future.
youtube.com/watch?v=sTifX3mpnV4

Reminder that Smiley Smile was not even remotely close to Brian's vision and thus it can't be compared

less than people would expect
the mythology of the record lends a lot to how much people hype it up, and i think not putting it out did a lot more for the Beach Boys reputation than putting it out ever would
it's a lot more romantic to go on about the legacy of Smile than it would have been to talk about its release

all the worthwhile songs were eventually released on other albums anyway

Why not?
>Brian's vision
Smiley Smile was Brian's vision. Nice try.
Nice Derek Taylor-written hype

Has someone ever come close to brian wilson?

Only person I can think of is Daniel Johnston. And even then it's only 1-2 albums.

listen to the sln smile mix to hear how it probably wouldve been released - as a 1 LP 12 track standard capitol album.

I think the singles would've been great, surfs up and good vibrations. Heroes and villians had great potential but Brian never found the right combinations to make it sound good...

Comparing those two is like comparing a take 1 demo track to a final album track.

It like saying Strawberry fields would've been shit because Take 1 wasn't that good even though the final version (take 26+) sounded completely different

>even though the final version
except we don't know the "final version" of SMile, so your comparison does not work

are you proving the first point?

That is not an album for the masses especially considering it requires a full listen. Unsurprisingly the only major single was Good Vibrations because it's the only song that can really be segregated from the album and bring an upbeat feel.

All Sup Forumstricians should give the Brian Wilson version a few spins and then once you get it, listen to the Beach Boys era one.

Really gets the neurons firing about how amazing the Beach Boys era one would have been if it was properly finished and produced.

Did you not follow the conversation?

but we do know that it would have been nothing like smiley smile

the obsession with boybands ain't a cute look. delete this thread

Not really. Smiley Smile is the end result of the Smile sessions.
>I don't like it, so that means it isn't true!

No, it's not. They gave up on Smile, discarded what they had recorded, and tried to make a simplified version. It left out many key tracks of what would have been Smile, was deliberately less ambitious and thrown together quickly.

not to mention Smile was being made in actual studios with the LA Wrecking Crew as the musicians, while Smiley Smile was the band fucking around in a home studio

>the artist is not allowed to change his mind
Also many of the same songs were on both, as well as the pro-studio recordings with the wrecking Crew

Are you being intentionally daft?
Brian didn't change his mind, he gave up on making Smile because it was too difficult, and then he needed to release something to satisfy the record label.
And they didn't use the studio recordings. Almost everything they recorded for Smile was made off-limits when they were recording Smiley Smile.

>Brian didn't change his mind, he gave up on making Smile
He didn't, because it's the same songs with some of the same recordings are on Smiley smile. it's a continuation of the same project
>And they didn't use the studio recordings.
Incorrect. Look it up

The Smile Sessions aren't even good. Half-finished junk that is only interesting because of retrospect and history. Otherwise, it's a jumbled, incomplete, incoherent mess. Heroes and Villains is absolutely bipolar, and you know Brian had no idea how to tie it together.

>Heroes and Villains
>Bipolar
I think that's intentional

> it's a continuation of the same project
Then why have they been treated separately, to the point where they still wanted to release Smile after Smiley Smile came out?
>it's the same songs
completely different arrangements

And are you sure about them using the old recordings? I know they used parts for one or two songs, but nothing large scale.

isnt good vibrations and old recording from the post-pet sounds era?

This is without a doubt my favorite album of all time. I love it for what it is, I think it would've had just as much of an impact as Sgt. Pepper.

>Then why have they been treated separately, to the point where they still wanted to release Smile after Smiley Smile came out?
They didn't It was never finished.
>completely different arrangements
Not relevant
>And are you sure about them using the old recordings?
Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains and Vege-Tables.

>They didn't It was never finished.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smile_(The_Beach_Boys_album)#Reconstructions
Wait. I thought Smiley Smile was the finished version?
>Not relevant
Why?
>Heroes and Villains and Vege-Tables.
Not the same as the Smile versions.