objective

Pet Sounds > Freak Out > Revolver > nobel laurete

pet sounds > revolver = bob > freak out

10, 9.5, 9.5, 9.0 in that order

BoB>the rest

*strums same 3 guitar chords for 70 minutes*
*mumbles nonsense drug fuelled garbage lyrics*
*ends every song with the same fucking harmonica*

woaaaaaa! this is so fucking deep! brb finna show this to my fellow english lit students

Pet Sounds > Revolver > Freak Out! > Blonde on Blonde. Pet Sounds is so far ahead of the rest that it's almost funny.

Blonde > Pet Sounds > Freak Out >>>> Revolver

i thought that too until i listened to his discography in order and read the history behind each album.

Pet sounds = revolver> freak out>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>blonde

Bet Sounds > Freak Out > Blonde On Blonde > Revolver

doesn't mean revolver is bad tho

Blonde on Blonde > Freak Out! > Revolver > Pet Sounds

Freak out > Blonde > Pet > Revolver

Can someone explain to me why it would be reasonable to place Freak Out! first out of these? I really can't see that, and I love the album.

Revolver >>>> Freak Out > Blonde on Blonde >>> Pet Sounds

Freak Out > Pet Sounds > Blonde on Blonde > Revolver.

Freak Out was the first album of rock being considered high art like jazz and classical.

*erroneously

No. Try again.

If you seriously think Freak Out isn't the best album there your opinions on music isn't trustable.

What is Highway 61 Revisited

Blonde On Blonde > Freak Out > Revolver > Pet Sounds

A great album, but not as good as Freak Out

Revolver = Pet sounds --> 10
Blonde on blonde -> 9
freak out ->5

BoB >= Revolver = Pet Sounds >= Freak Out!

>first album of rock
>posts a contemporary folk album
Might as well post The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan.

this is the only correct answer

Dylan > Mothers > Beatles > Beach Boys

his lyrics arent drug fuelled at all, though

I prefer 1, 2, 3, 4.

>Listens to music for lyrics

Pet Sounds > BoB > Freak Out > Revolver

Ez pz

>actually thinking this
The last line of what you typed screams Reddit. Or that you're underage

Blonde on Blonde >>> Freak Out > Revolver > Pet Sounds

pet sounds isnt that ahead of freak out

Civilization Phaze III > Trout Mask Replica > Blackstar > White Album > Blonde on Blonde > shit > anything by Beach Boys

Finally someone gets the correct answer

Revolver> Freak Out> Blonde on Blonde> Pet Sounds

this so hard

Pet Sounds = Blonde on Blonde > Freak Out > Revolver

10 = 10 > 9 > 8 for me.

From top left and clockwise

>Top tier-pop album, simple yet strong emotions amplified by great production, but put together a lot of the early 60s pop producers were better. The Tokens- The Lion Sleeps Tonight was basically pet sounds but half a decade earlier.

9/10

>It might feel strange listening to what seems like some hippy dippy pop songs and hearing it called a pioneering work of experimental and progressive rock, but listen deeper. Top tier pop songwriting, with irreverent orchestra that feels like Elmer Fudd chasing around Bugs Bunny, bizarre modern touches, and an insane second disc.

10/10

>Has some great pop songs, and a whole lot more shit ones.

6/10

>Not as striking as Highway 61, kind of wavering and flaccid, the country twang kind of neuters dylan here for me.

7/10

you went counterclockwise fucking retard

Aww shit, forgot to change that.

It's actually counter-clockwise, disregard what I said, I suck cocks.

also that Tokens comment is absolutely asinine, wtf is wrong with you

The Lion Sleeps Tonight is so fucking amateur compared to Brian. if you want to call brian a copy of spector i'll accept that criticism a tiny but your comparison is ridiculous

There might be a few small differences but they are in the same spirit, and I would peg them as an early influence. (The same album Lion Sleeps Tonight was on popularized the folk song Sloop John B.)

I could be convinced to agree that the tokens are being less professional and solid (ignoring they were doing it in 1961), but IMO they were being more fun and being more varied on that song. Either way both are great.

>There might be a few small differences
understatement of the century. i honestly don't even know where to begin.

just because they popularized a folk cover doesn't make them even close to brian compositionally

>I could be convinced to agree that the tokens are being less professional and solid
i'm arguing that they're not even on the same playing field, they're nowhere close.

you can compare only a couple of 60s pop acts with brian (the beatles, spector, maybe some psychedelic acts). brian had such an advanced understanding and command of harmony and melody that it's hard to even find comparisons. the beatles easily count but other than that there honestly aren't many 60s pop acts that can come close, and definitely not the tokens.

i could get super technical with theory and stuff but i feel like it might be not worth it (if you want me to, let me know). i'm just saying that there is a giant difference

the tokens aren't bad though

>compositionally
I was speaking exclusively production-wise. I thought that was apparent. Of course Brian is being better compositionally, I simply found the use of instrumentation and production extraordinary, and pretty much the precursor for what came with Pet Sounds.

i mean i also think brian is way ahead production-wise but regardless i don't think you made that apparent at all. when someone says an artist is better than another artist, i immediately think composition and arrangement.

anyway, i guess maybe it was a precursor, but remember al jardine introduced brian to sloop john b., and brian wasn't into any folk stuff at all

Fair enough, Pet Sounds might even have just been the most advanced wall of sound and studio orchestra of it's time, but the point I the point I'm making is that it's precursors shouldn't go unacknowledged.

The myth goes that Brian Wilson brought the studio orchestra to pop music and changed history forever, but compared to advances in pop and soul singles from before that time it's more of a gradual step. Motown in particular doesn't get the credit it deserves for using orchestras in ways that are just as interesting as Pet Sounds.

>Motown in particular doesn't get the credit it deserves for using orchestras in ways that are just as interesting as Pet Sounds.
yeah i can agree with that. but brian did take it to another level

>Civ III
That was an album? It feels more like a collection of left over Lumpy Gravy sounds.
>Trout Mask Replica
Has some really interesting individual songs and some heavy themes and stylings for it's time, but it can get repetitive, hardly the best or second best of anything.
>Blackstar
Dying old man mumbles over electronics. Seriously, you had some decent picks until you brought this arbitrary dumpster fire of an album into your list.
>White Album
Look at us, we're being eclectic, and edgy and real. It's 1968 and nothing is close to being as heavy as our up-to-mid-tempo blues rock.
>Blonde on Blonde
It's alright. Bob Dylan had already shredded folk into this crazy revolutionary noise on Highway, this one seems like he's taking a smoke break afterwards.
>anything by Beach Boys
Listen to Smile or Surfs Up. There's an innocence and a gee wizz naivete, but there's also an intense craftsmenship and emotion.