What happens here?

What happens here?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/maps/place/La Perla, San Juan, Puerto Rico/@18.4610599,-66.1175107,837a,20y,2.41h,44.77t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8c036ec0f5e29d13:0x61ac76dc378fce42!8m2!3d18.4687553!4d-66.1160583
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do you mean inside the drawn box, or on the whole island(s)?

The whole island

basically this + being the capital of the world at death by firearms and walking dead.

Oh

Baseball

Denbts.

Sounds comfy

Anything else in specific you would like to know about? history or something? our debts?

Interesting fact: Francis Drake's last battle was in San Juan, which he lost. He died soon after and the brits were unable to successfully invade the island at least once.
not relevant anymore desu

Why is it so expensive to live in Puerto Rico? Or is it just San Juan?

be aware that climate here is tropical, with the average temperatures being close to 77F during January in the coasts.

While property prices and renting is cheaper in comparison to bigger cities in the US, Food and utilities prices are much more expensive due to the fact that, most food products here come from the US, and since we aren't allowed to do any trade without going through the merchant marine, our food prices tend to be higher. Our utilities are badly maintained, and not well administered, that plus corruption (which causes us to buy oil at very high prices due to sneaky deals, also debt) is why its so expensive. And since the salary of the average salary is much lower than those in the US, it makes things much more expensive for people here.

Also, close to 30% of the population collects welfare, since you get more money and subsidies than if you worked a minimum wage job.

Just joking my brown friend, I hate the tropics. I'll just admire your islands beauty through my monitor.

What do you think the chances of you becoming a state sometime in the future are?

arroz con habichuelas

Reggaeton fever

Hopefully 0.

Fuck man that sucks, I might live there anyway. Last time I was in Puerto rico I was a teen visiting family. Beautiful cities, beaches, women, and very nice people.

Would you rather just not be part of the US?

Seems mixed anytime I talk to someone about it.

Look at my flag, I'm not the guy you were asking. I just don't want them to be a state. We don't need 4 million more welfare queens and a 51 star flag looks like shit.

Well, beaches over there don't compare to the ones here. If you ever want to experience a decent beach, you should visit. Also if you wanna see a beach that glows at night.

Congress seem to have no interest in the issue, so 0% in the next 3-4 years. Unless something extraordinary happens (natural disaster, Trump pressuring congress to do something about it, etc) and people (and most importantly congress), I pretty much don't see it happening for now.

Just ate some of that brodel.

w-we also have other types of music too!

>I might live there anyway
I don;t suggest doing that desu unless you wish to learn spanish, connect with family, or escape certain taxes.

desu my biggest issue with them becoming an American state is literally the flag.

Wow, it's just like a tiny version of Brazil! Do you have favela too?

No they are actually first world

mini favela ))
google.com/maps/place/La Perla, San Juan, Puerto Rico/@18.4610599,-66.1175107,837a,20y,2.41h,44.77t/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8c036ec0f5e29d13:0x61ac76dc378fce42!8m2!3d18.4687553!4d-66.1160583

not quite desu

If I didn't feel one I would be robbed and stabbed as soon as I crossed into there I would like to live there.

How much would conditions improve if you became a state?
Also what are your feelings on Trump?

not a good idea to go in there unless 1. Community leaders get you in for some reason, or 2. You go in with someone who lives there. Otherwise you will most likely get killed.

Well, for one, we would be able declare bankruptcy as a state (which we can't do right now), we would also most likely get assigned more federal bux, which will most likely improve certain services here. Aside from that I'm not sure, haven't dug too much into the topic.

>Also what are your feelings on Trump?
Don't particularly like him, but I can say the same about every single mainstream politician and party in the US.

What really riles me is his policies on environmental issues.

Has climate change been affecting Puerto Rico?

I'm >What really riles me is his policies on environmental issues.
Had PR been effected much by rising sea levels? I know a lot of small islands have lost significant land from it. Is it something you can really notice in areas around the shores like rides coming in further?

Somewhat.

Aside from the increase of sea level we have been monitoring since the 1960s, we have seen increased intensity in tropical storm (this affects us a lot) and In the last 4-5 years we've been having some intense periods of drought during the spring, and since we're an island, this is critical. Also coral reefs are increasingly dying, and increased air temps are fucking with our ecosystem.

spooky, you should build one of those huts on stilts to live in

My house already sits on stilts. Wont be of much help when we get the eventual big earthquake+tsunami event we're supposed to have every 100 years, and that we have not had in close to 130 years. Also the fact that a huge chunk of our northern coast could just one day sink into the deepest part of the atlantic if there's ever a major seismic event.

kek maybe that's what the republicans are waiting for so you'll never be a state.

ehh, public awareness of the issue and the subsequent pressure congress would be after such an event would be quite high. Specially if a lot of people (most people live in that area btw) die.

do you live in that area? Also if not, do you live off the main island?

Yo me crié aquí y me crié hablando español en casa. Pero me eduqué en inglés y se me olvidó el español. Si me esfuerzo lo puedo escribir. Pero cuando se trata de hablar, me siento como tengo un acento bien malo y me da tanto vergüenza que no puedo decir nada. Y mi familia también se avergüenzan de mí.