youtube.com/watch?v=bCSQbxzJyoU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Every Herbie Hancock album.

All of them.

no
hell no

What? Something wrong?

How can you say he's underrated? Dude's a mega star
The critics might not like him, but that's because he switched target audiences, but every person who dips its toes in jazz likes electric Herbie
From what I know, these guys who switched from traditional jazz to fusion like Herbie, Miles, Chick Corea and such were hated by jazz critics back then, but their popularity was greatly improved
So yeah, it really depends on who is "underrating" them

Well I meant more along the lines he was underrated on here.

I've been listening to his discography from the beginning and I just finished Mr. Hands. I'm having a great time w/ it.

Oh I know who you are, we talk to each other all the time in here
I'm the guy who recced you Jimmy Smith
We are BFFs already

Yaaaaay. Hi bff.
Just an update on my 'progress'

FDFMN was a lot better than I expected.
Monster was pretty bad.
Mr. Hands was REALLY good and may be in my top 5 Hancock albums.

Also fun fact: He was on frickin Sesame Street for some reason

youtube.com/watch?v=oKoisNv1ftw

one of you twats please listen to david s ware plleeease. also henry threadgill is underrated, especially his air trio

Maybe if you didn't call me a twat I would have...

alright, continue to ignore the best new tenor player since the late 60s. fuck it, how bout you cunts also try paul motian trio, ben monder, masabumi kikuchi, and booker ervin since you arent going to bother cause of my potty mouf.

Why so hostile? Sheesh...

im drunk

Oh. Ok.
Listen to Herbie Hancock

and have only had two smokes in the past 12 hours but ill try to calm down. david s ware- go see the world/ alive in the world. air- air raid/ air song. paul motian trio- one time out/ any of the on broadway stuff (not trio). ben monder is probably best on a tyshawn sorey record called koan and also blue buddha while im thinking about tyshawn. masabumi kikuchi- anything with tethered moon/ sunrise/ black orpheus. booker ervin- the space book/ the freedom book.

>David Ware
>best new tenor player since the late 60s
lol

...You're confusing and scaring me.

nah man, not a big herbie guy. love him with miles and hes pretty nice on some of the mid 60s blue note stuff but i dont really dig anything beyond that.

who else then man?

whats confusing? its records.

youtube.com/watch?v=MUGM9ikbBDw

Well how much of it have you listened to?

piss of weeb, this is about jazz. keep that cowboy bebop nip shit, limp dick, swinging like a rusty gate crap outta here. plus not underrated, pretty much known mucore

Mark Turner or Tony Malaby

Fukui is no more or less underrated than anything previously ITT

pretty good amount, like most of his records honestly. i mean, his acoustic music is definitely some baaad shit, just not really my vibe, alittle too nimble and fluffy. and well i guess his electric music is pioneering? but i really cant stand it and his fusion stuff isnt really very good in my opinion either but im not a big fusion guy anyways. again the only herbie playing that does it for me is the shit with miles.

haha yeah man, turner is a bad dude. fair pick. not too familiar with malaby but ive checked out his record with will parker and nasheet. i need to dig in more on him. i still prefer dave ware, i dont think anyone has as much total power and control since trane.

wrong again kneeeeeegrow.

>nimble and fluffy
I'm not knocking your taste but why does EVERYONE say fluffy is an insult. Fluffy is nice and wholesome.

Pic related is probably my favorite of his blue-note years.

>i dont think anyone has as much total power and control since trane.
Frankly since Coltrane existed I don't really see the point of Ware's style. Sheer power doesn't impress me too much and I think I could name quite a few saxophonists who I'd say have more "control" but that's sort of hard to quantify.

im probably the one that called it fluffy before. not meant to be an insult, just not in line with my taste in pianists. i like monk, mccoy, jarrett,waldron and shipp. as far as herbies blue note stuff im not wild on most of the stuff with him as a leader but check out a lee morgan record called the procrastinator, really swingin.

as well as a lot of other yass albums

i think his tunes and his groups give the style a fresh context in the post trane world but i think we may just have to agree to disagree. im relistening to some malaby stuff rn and i gotta give him credit for how much space he leaves but i think he lacks time feel and groove. but props to him for doing his debut with motain. what other stuff are you checking out these days? u seem like you could turn me on to some new shit i would dig.

>i like monk, mccoy, jarrett,waldron and shipp
What are they like in comparison to Herbie?

also i have to say that with pretty much everyone except ware who plays in that style id have to agree with you on not really seeing the point in it anymore but ware has something different, possibly cause he was rollin's student? idk

rateyourmusic.com/collection/jazzthreadguy/recent/

I've never heard of this guy but I better see some nice ratings for Mr.Hancock.

huh, well theyre all different in there own right but i guess in general id say theyre darker, groove harder, bluesier besides maybe jarrett but he has his own thing. frankly they sound blacker.

How much darker we talking?
I mean if I listened to NOTHING but Herbie, what should I expect listening to one of those?

ah man, i already know alot of those records but thanks

pretty nice new polish jazz

Really good polish fusion

but hes put out so much piss poor shit

alright lets do this. ill post a link based on how you answer this. do you want something similar to herbie to start with or do you want to just jump right in?

Polish avant-garde jazz

Similar to Herbie.

Sextant and Monster are the only ones I outright hated so far.

Another yass album, this time with a bit more of experimentation.
I recommend the band Miłość too, though they were playing a bit more normal stuff.

youtube.com/watch?v=VSUiqjjetUg

Definitely has a 'Takin' Off' vibe to it, except maybe a little more free form. I'm really diggin it.

I'm looking for some calmer albums to listen in the evening/night to chill a bit, just would prefer them not be sad, perhaps some fusion, soul jazz or cool?

youtube.com/watch?v=bCSQbxzJyoU

attempt to ignore the fact that jarrett is a monster fag.

do you only review obscure albums?

>jarrett is a monster fag.
...What?

yeah i forgot tranes solo is alittle more out there then what youre probably used to.

the pianist keith jarrett, in the video i posted, is a moooonster douche. yells at crowds of coughing during his solos, recording or taking pictures. stands at paino and moans while he plays, woos for himself when he plays something slick. but hes a motherfucker.

I wasn't insulting it. I REALLY liked it.

Oh that's him humming....I thought the video had an audio problem...I still like it though.

Animals

glad you dig it, try listening to a coltrane album called coltranes sound. yeah, you get better at tuning out his fucking eric cartman esque wails but its a deal breaker for some people understandably.

Why is he doing the moaning over his playing? It's grating as hell....

And I'll probably listen to A Love Supreme since that's the one I see the most on here (Same reason I listened to Bitches Brew)

No, there are some albums in there that are pretty acclaimed and popular.

eh, a lot of guys need to sing while they play if its an instrument that isnt connected to the breath so they can phrase well and feel more connected to the material theyre playing. and uhhhmm yeah, if you want my suggestion id say consume some alcohol or pot or anything you have handy and turn off all the lights and listen to a love supreme at the volume one notch down from pain. i did that like 7 years ago and now im a jazz musician in new york.

no trip tonight jazzthreadguy?

I'm not old enough to drink and pot's illegal here.

Is there something up with A Love Supreme that I'm missing?

>pots illegal here
didnt u hear me say i live in new york? but yeah im also originially from amsterdam so whatever.
>is there something up with a love supreme
uh no? idk just sit back and listen to it, its spiritual. just relax. why do you not like it?

Mediocre FOTM that only got attention cause Fantano said he liked it.

He only trips for /blindfold/ these days.Unless he's stopped coming on here more than I'd already imagined.

ah, thanks. he sucks.

Well I was just asking since you rec'd I should get wasted/high when listening to it. I haven't listened to it yet. Maybe tomorrow.

oh no, nothings up with it. the first time i listened to it i admitted to some other jazz musicians that i was hanging with that id never heard it. i was like 14. so they put it on, we sparked a joint and listened to it with the lights off and then we listened to it like 3 or 4 more times and then we listened to the bootleg live version in antleibs. its significantly changed my life. kinda annoying a lot of people treat it like a meme.

> i was like 14. so they put it on, we sparked a joint

You did pot at 14? Damn...

Well still, I'll try to give it a listen when I can since I hear it's well respected on here. Thanks.

not from a good neighborhood initially.

Oh, sorry to hear that. Like I said I'll listen to A.L.S. as soon as I can. Thanks again.

of couse man, try checking out the other pianists i mentioned too. herbies great but hes not even my favorite pianist named herbie. theres a lot of music.

There's other pianists named Herbie?

herbie nichols...all i do is listen to records.

Nichols

what why?

Is he as good as Hancock?

No but he wrote some good music

I'll look that up too. Thanks.

this is supposed to be an underrated jazz thread, not a GOAT jazz thread

Willie bobo is fucking underrated

MJQ desu