Where do I get started with learning to play jazz piano Sup Forums?

Where do I get started with learning to play jazz piano Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/ey15pvwi
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Listen to as much jazz as possible
Learn all your major/minor scales
Get familiar with all 7th chords and how to build them
Learn the basics of how to read music
Learn how to do Roman analysis of music

Then get this book and start learning an easy standard like Autumn Leaves or There Will Never Be Another You. Find a jazz piano solo you like and start transcribing it.

>Listen to as much jazz as possible
Already listen to a decent amount
>Learn all your major/minor scales
I'm pretty decent with remembering which notes are in a scale, but I kind of have difficulty playing them fast.
>Get familiar with all 7th chords and how to build them
As in Min7, Maj7 and Dom7?
>Learn the basics of how to read music
Already can do this
>Learn how to do Roman analysis of music
Have no idea what this is but will research it promptly.
>Then get this book and start learning an easy standard like Autumn Leaves or There Will Never Be Another You. Find a jazz piano solo you like and start transcribing it.
Okay, thank you for time and advice user. I hope you have a good night.

>I'm pretty decent with remembering which notes are in a scale, but I kind of have difficulty playing them fast.
Get good at playing them fast with both hands and correct fingering. Do them at least two octaves. You should be able play any major scale quickly and smoothly with no thought at all.

>As in Min7, Maj7 and Dom7?
yes also m7b5, and fully diminished

>Have no idea what this is but will research it promptly.
Practice by analyzing Bach chorales until you can analyze a piece easily just by looking at it

>analyzing Bach chorales until you

>break convention or it's not jazz
so don't bother with this bit

He means roman numeral analysis, aka part writing, aka most of what you do in a music theory class.

Do you have any other people interested in jazz to jam with?

Is there a single definitive book for beginners on the subject that everyone agrees on

The Mark Levine book is the closest you will get to that but it basically assumes you already have a pretty solid grasp of basic theory and piano technique

You should've started in high school jazz band. If you didn't, it's honestly too late.

Like ii-V-i?
that type of thing?

I have a friend who I might be able to get to play guitar with me, but I don't know of any drummers or anything like that.

I lived in the middle of bumfuck no where when I was in highschool, I was lucky to get a concert band class lmao

Is there one for saxophone

I have been listening to jazz for about half a year now, and uh about 3 months ago decided to actually get serious about learning jazz piano and it's actually pretty difficult. I'm actually struggling like hell.

Here's what I have done so far, Polka Dots and Moonbeams.
Know your theory, experiment a lot with voicings, know what sounds good and what doesn't. Concentrate on block chords, upper structures and your inner voicing.

clyp.it/ey15pvwi

Probably just Levine's jazz theory book, plus a book of jazz sax etudes, plus the Charlie Parker omnibook

Maybe for you, talentless fuck
It may be too late to be Bill Evans, but certainly not to have fun playing an instrument

thanks brb buying a student model alto

Then basically rip. Jazz piano takes a a ridiculous amount of knowledge and skill to learn even basic shit, let along preform at a high level. It's not like classical piano where you can learn in some part due to rote repetition, you need to be immersed in it and make it your life to ever be even remotely decent.

I mean if you really just want to do basic shit, then I'd say look into some chord books, watch some jazz theory videos on youtube, do shit like that. But honestly unless you get extensive experience playing in a band, you'll never be above a beginner.
>but certainly not to have fun playing an instrument
I mean it depends what he wants to do this for. If he just wants to know chords to know chords and mess around a little, then yeah he can do that. But if he wants to compose or playing anything substantial at all, it's almost certainly too late if he has no experience at this point.

That's just wrong, though

You're just saying this because you've never heard of any jazz pianists who started late, which in turn is because you have this inherent bias

Music is really easy as fuck, you just have to break through the initial plateau. Literally anyone who can hum can learn an instrument and become proficient with it in under 5 years

>You're just saying this because you've never heard of any jazz pianists who started late
Because they don't exist senpai

ryo fukui started in his mid twenties iirc

Duke Pearson took lessons as a child but then stopped playing piano completely until he was 32

Just because they don't have wikipedia articles doesn't mean they don't exist

>tfw jazz trumpet for 12 years and still feel like i suck

what was his experience before then?
You're right, he played jazz trumpet until he started playing piano again. That's not the same thing senpai, he had a fuck ton of experience with jazz, he just switched instruments.

I'm pretty sure you can just play any notes you please, that seems to be the par for a lot of acclaimed jazz musicians, pianist or otherwise

it means theyre irrelevant

Breaking convention without knowledge of convention is usually very apparent. There's light years of difference between someone with great knowledge of theory playing out and someone who only knows the basics playing notes with no regard for what they're doing.

be born with it

not always, sometimes the artist finds moments and they were the ones worth keeping the recording of or at least, practising one more time

or borrow one

learn to play the piano, play chopin, bach, mozart/clementi sonatinas.

after you have chops and can play freely, learn some standards, get a feel for syntax (head, solos, choruses), learn riffs and transcribe solos from your favourite pianists/soloists. lastly goto open mics and start jamming after you feel you can hold your own and have like 30+ standards memorized.

all the theory and studiyng roman numerals etc helps, but you'll get an intuitive understanding by listening and playing standards.

And his greatest achievement was a solid Bill Evans impersonation.

you dont just start out playing jazz, you need a solid foundation of classical technique and basic harmony to get into jazz. hell, bill evans performed beethovens concerto with an orchestra and graduated a conservatory before even knowing what jazz was.

And Chet Baker couldn't read music.

chet baker wasn't a trumpet virtuoso tho
he was a much better vocalist

And Richard Branson is a high school dropout and a billionaire, that doesn't mean you should dropout or that you'll be rich if you do. That logic is flawed as fuck.

You have better odds getting a well-rounded education than looking up to brilliant people who didn't and thinking you could do the same.

That's a matter of opinion. I think the trumpet playing he did in the Gerry Mulligan quartets, on Jim Hall's Concierto and during his late career is way better than the pop jazz vocals he did on records like Sings.
Nice strawman.
I didn't say you should do anything.
I'm happy to agree with you that it better players are usually formally trained but I think it's oversimplifying things to say
>you dont just start out playing jazz, you need a solid foundation of classical technique and basic harmony to get into jazz.
When people like Chet, Django Reinhardt, Buddy Rich, etc. lead successful careers without being classically trained.

in the sense that he was worse than Evans; yes. But his and Evans' styles are completely different. If you find palpable similarity between them then you are most definitely talking out of your ass.

Anyway, Fukui is great, not the best, but certainly great enough to be world famous.

It wasn't a strawman, I refuted your point. Most of those people weren't pianists. Piano is an extremely difficult instrument.