mingus
pharoah sanders
charlie parker
louis armstrong
sun ra

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ml5fchfAE4E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You won't know shit without listening to Duke Ellington, specifically Ellington at Newport

Besides that, pretty good intro. Listen to Blues and the Abstract Truth as well

Herbie 'God Damn' Hancock.

youtube.com/watch?v=ml5fchfAE4E

ornette coleman

Art Blakey

I don't know if Sanders or Sun Ra really belong on the greats list. I feel like you're missing out on some important free or experimental jazz musicians, including Albert Ayler, Eric Dolphy, and Ornette Coleman.

Sonny Stitt

CHET BAKER

>babies first jazz

still nice chill stuff

I dunno why, I don't really like Herbie on the album level. Like, his playing is great, and his classics are classics, but I've never found an album of his I like all the way through.

>le sensitive heroin comfy jazz

Stop listening to hipster jazz

King Oliver

How much have you listened to, friend?

Decent amount, can't remember names atm. What do you recommend? Are you a fan of his later electronic work?

Ornette Coleman, BADBADNOTGOOD, Ayler, Steve Coleman, Anthony Davis

Grant Green, Wayne Shorter, Pat Metheny

really and truly, if youre not a 50 year old black man with a raspy voice or a 60 year old white man with a fedora and soulpatch that used to " get down wit that brothas" that listens to jazz. Then you are a hipster millenial trying too damn hard to be a superior music aficionado, so btfo with that my nig and lets just have some fun

I've been listening to his discography and I'm up to Monster (listening to Magic Window as we speak)

I do like a good chunk of some of the more electronic works. The only one I flat out disliked was Monster (and sextant, I'm still trying to get it to click)

My personal top 5 at the moment:
1. Fat Albert Rotunda (1969)
2. Headhunters (1973)
3. Mr. Hands (1980)
4. Inventions and Dimensions (1964)
5. Man Child (1975)

I have a list of my favorite songs too (I'm planning on making a spotify playlist) but the list for that is pretty long.

Hope that helps.

>BADBADNOTOOD
way too recent to be a "jazz great" Also, who is Anthony Davis?

>only 3 pre-30's artists mentioned in this thread

you're all little babies still

>69201400
>BADBADNOTGOOD
>Jazz great
>good at all