What does Sup Forums use to play their Sup Forums and movies?

What does Sup Forums use to play their Sup Forums and movies?

Pic related. Handles all my tv and plays all my downloads. Runs like a dream. Remote is perfect as fuck.

>2016
>renting a cable box

Show me what you play stuff on, Sup Forums

Other urls found in this thread:

streaming-media-players.specout.com/compare/39-112/Google-Nexus-Player-vs-Roku-3-2015
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

RPi 2 with OSMC
it werks

pic?

an HDMI cable for movies and the 2 shows I watch a week.

I read comcast is partnering with Roku and making an app that will act the same as having a cable box and you'd be getting all the channels and shit like a normal box (as long as you already have a cable sub).

So I might look into getting a Roku 4 if that's the case.
we already have cable, i just don't have a box in my room

Cheap 1080p 21" ASUS monitor.

>an HDMI cable

lol what is this, 2005?

>watching movies on a 21" screen

why

my tv is just 5 feet from my pc, JERK!

Do you live in a basement?

no, i just live with my parents

Same. I have a ps4 and technically I have a "smart" tv, but the only thing I ever use for streaming is my roku.

Is there any reason to ever upgrade to the 4 if I don't currently have or plan to get a 4k tv anytime soon?

>Is there any reason to ever upgrade to the 4 if I don't currently have or plan to get a 4k tv anytime soon?

Is this a serious question?

well, there's nothing interesting to see from my RPi2. I just put it in a cheap clear-case.
Since CEC is supported on the RPi2, I just use the remote controle of my TV or sometimes a small keyboard.

but OSMC is a quiet good looking Raspbian based OS.(can take screenshots later today, since it's currently used)
It is basically Kodi, so I have a wide range of addons to choose from.
I currently use Exodus to stream my movies and tv shows, but I can also watch my downloaded movies, which are located on my PC, over a SMB connection
I could also directly torrent on that thing, but I stay away from that

Kinda. It seems pretty pointless to upgrade if you have the 3, but I haven't really looked into it and I don't know if there's something special about the 4 that might make it worth while

The 4 is shit that overheats, and if you don't have a 4K tv, then you're even dumber for getting it.

I just queue stuff up on my PC. If I plan on changing stuff up often, I use my Xbox so I don't need to keep getting up.

>if you don't have a 4K tv, then you're even dumber for getting it
Even dumber than what? I don't have one, that's why I asked. Or do you mean so dumb as to ask a question about streaming devices in a thread about streaming devices? Fuck off.

You're dumb for asking if the 4 is worth it. Do some research. It's the worst Roku of them all and people are waiting for the 5.

I just use the website 123movies

HDMI over an ethernet line driver with a remote control app on my tablet

Plays everything, including my Bluray remuxes, Runs all the apps I want. Doesn't make a sound.

Android TV is the future.

>Plays everything
Does it?

streaming-media-players.specout.com/compare/39-112/Google-Nexus-Player-vs-Roku-3-2015

>No amazon

What's the deal with that? It's the same with the apple TV too? Do they just want to push people in to buying a fire stick or whatever it's called?

M8s+ and an air mouse.

yes, that's why roku is best if you fell for multiple memestreaming sites

the only thing it doesn't have is apple tv stuff ofc.

Iphone6s (jailbroken) and Infuse

>stay jelly

>Do they just want to push people in to buying a fire stick or whatever it's called?
Doubt it. Xbox, playstation, roku, and all sorts of tv's play the app just fine.

>air mouse
This?

No, this.

>amazon
>blockbuster

Nobody uses this shit. I play stuff I torrent, not those gay streaming services.

Okay? That dude said the nexus played everything, I looked it up and pretty much the only thing it actually CAN play is stolen movies. That's not everything. That's barely anything.

>the only thing it actually CAN play is stolen movies. That's not everything. That's barely anything.

It plays Netflix, Hulu, and lots of other services, just not as many as Roku. He means you can play even the highest bitrate files.

Who the fuck would pay for all those services anyway? You might as well get cable.

oh yeah, that and the nexus was more expensive than the roku too.

The Nexus was on clearance for $25 at Target and I bought 3 of them for me and my friends.

I love it.

Roku is nice, but running Android is nicer.

Fire TV with kodi and all the addons. I completely bypass anything Amazon.

You are patrician tier.

Also doesn't play 23.976fps video correctly...

Apple TV 3rd Gen with Plex.

For now

wat

>buying a 50 inch screen you'll sit 3 times the distance from instead of a far cheaper, much better quality smaller screen you sit closer to
Fucking normies, man.

fire tv +kodi.

All i need.

>I just navigate my files with the remote

Ah yes of course, that's why the preferred method of viewing cinema has always been on a 6"x4" cell phone screen with a jeweler's loupe. Fucking moron. With movies bigger actually is better.

Well yeah a small screen is fine if you have no friends or family and watch movies by yourself but watching movies and tv is generally a social experience...

What could I use to directly play the files not stream? I don't want to connect my pc to my TV with HDMI. I've connected my external to my bluray player but my bluray player doesnt have FLAC support, which a number of my movies have audio encoded in FLAC.

poorfag

>average monitor owned by somebody on Sup Forums
>quality

>I'm poor and I love it! Who needs to have a giant screen anyway?

RPi3 with OpenELEC. It just works

Chromecast

>What could I use to directly play the files not stream? I don't want to connect my pc to my TV with HDMI.

Any Android box.

>opencucklec
>not osmc
you done goofed

pic related plus plex

>buying a 21 inch screen you'll watch 3 times the distance from instead of a far cheaper, much better quality smaller phone screen you can hold next to your face
Fucking normies, man.

This is what you sound like.

What are the benefits of switching?

intel nuc, core i5-5350, hd 6000

runs 4k smooth as fuck although i rarely use anything but 1080p on my plasma. also looks sleek next to my other media stuff. can use any software i like on linux/windows, connects to my nas.

right now i just use kodi, with my cellphone touchscreen as remote. it just werks.

a cheap sanyo plc-xw200 projector I got on ebay with a good lamp
a vga cable
a x200s thinkpad
a sound system that looks like a pig which was my gfs old iphone dock

I have the maximum size I can get it on my front room wall

going to upgrade the sound later and probably a nice projector and HTPC next year

>intel nuc, core i5-5350, hd 6000
>i just use kodi

Overkill.

Hey guys, check out my new letter opener!

heh yeah i know, it was one of those "wow i got to have this" kinda purchases, it was so perfect. single foreveralone with a high paying job and all that. i've used all kinds of stuff, used mpchc with madvr at one point.

I got the Shield TV which I thought was overkill but you bested me.

RPi
OpenELEC

Couple it with Yatse and Quasar and it's the perfect solution.

>that encode
gross

wat?

Custom built NAS running freeNAS, Plex with some unofficial add ons, plexmbmc, some kodi functionality, sickbeard, and whatever I'm watching shit on - I currently have just over 750 movies and 67 TV shows

>he doesn't even know shit about the media he consumes
Where did you download that? What's the size? Is it a really badly remastered bluray? Who encoded it? Do you have a media info log?
It looks grainy as fuck

Ah, you, see, user, you've flown off the handle for no reason but your own ineptitude. That's not playing the movie, it's cover art. How about next time, you make sure you're right, so that you don't later have to find out that you were wrong.

>getting this flustered over nothing
seek help

Plebs detected. Keep watching 'kino' in terrible quality.
>Hello sir i'd like a michilin star plate of food from your establishment so can you please give the recipe to a fry cook at mcdonalds so he can replicate it to the best of his ability
>MMM THIS MEAL MUST BE GOOD AS THE RECIPE CAME FROM A MICHILIN STAR PLACE
Thats literally you

Don't get salty because you don't know the difference between an actual movie and some cover art lol

Right... the future, yet it's discontinued, barely supported during its lifetime, and has no replacement in sight.

That's actually pretty accurate. I watch more movies on my tab pro 8.4 then my plasma. I'm more comfortable and I don't need to wear glasses.

But user, as I have explained, the film is a high-bitrate full HD rip. The image you're seeing there is not the video file, it's a standard definition image file automatically downloaded by the software for display purposes.

>RREEEE WHAT ARE YOU WATCHING THAT SHIT QUALITY FOR
>it's just cover art
>RRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
this is literally you

seek help

>never seen vertigo
>10/10 thanks yify

>he thinks no more Android TV devices will be made

This is like saying Android failed because the HTC Dream aka the Nexus One didn't sell much.

Android is already powering most TV set top boxes out there, and it will continue to dominate because it's free and constantly developed.

my computer + ums

>arguing with someone who prefers to watch movies on his tablet

MMMMMMMMM THANKS FOR THIS DUCK LIVER PATE LIL TIMMY FROM MCDONALDS
YOU DID SUCH A GOOD JOB EVEN THOUGH YOU COULD BARELY READ THE RECIPE
DONT WORRY THOUGH I LOVE IT WHEN MY MEAL HAS GREASE COURSING THROUGH IT'S VEINS LIKE THE HATE IN MY FATHER'S WHEN HE ASKS ME WHY IM EATING PATE A MIN WAGE FAST FOOD WORKER WITH ACNE CAUSED BY HIS ESTROGEN FILLED DIET

>I watch more movies on my tab pro 8.4 then my plasma

christ

>i'm an obsessed retard caught being an obsessed retard

WDTV with a 6tb external connected to it. Fuck streaming.

>oh no, I keep getting blown out, each time more blown, more out

>better flip my shit like an angry sperg to cover my tracks and make everyone think I was just trolling ¦:¬)

>reddit formatting
i'm the real winner here

>having to disconnect your external to download more movies and tv to it

What a sad life.

>WDTV
>Not a piece of shit
I threw mine away after it kept being a cunt and not playing my files, it also takes forever to boot up.

it's all about the display port now.

It's full of literally everything right now. If I want to watch a single move that isn't on the hard drive I just put it on a flash drive and connect that in the front. About once a month I disconnect it and add shit.

Gets slow every once in a while but I haven't had an issue. Had it for over a year.

Well I'm glad it works for you at least, I must have got a dodgy one. Fortunately I have a spare laptop that is now an entertainment hub.

thinking about buying a dumb tv and a smarterizer where i can watch youtube and play torrented movies. is the roku the thing i should own?
I dont plant to subscribe to netflix or amazon or any of those things

You want an Android box.

I just plug my 4tb WD drive into my TV's usb port desu.

Do any of you Sup Forumseeks know of devices that can play ISO's for blurays?

planning on buying this, seems perfect

>full hd
>kodi
>windows 10
>intel gpu & processor
>2gb ram for a streamer

osmc is based on a full Debian system, which basically means you/others can set up a lot of things

for example, you can use retropie directly in osmc with a script (if you care about playing retro games) ://discourse.osmc.tv/t/howto-retrosmc-retrogaming-on-osmc/6671
or set up a hotspot and overclock your pi directly in osmc
I also think it has a great community support and a great dev-team, who also implement their own features

also the gui is very lightweight (a plus for the performance) and imo the best looking one

>I just plug my 4tb WD drive into my TV's usb port desu.

Oh good, that kills your drive faster since those external drives park themselves over and over until the heads get damaged and your drive dies.

I just ordered a kit for one of these and a remote that should be showing up in the next few days. I've been using my ps3 and media server/sickbeard for years but lately I've been getting fed up with cinavia.

I'm really worried about how the software is going to handle upscaling and picture formating, the ps3 is flawless at it and I'm used to that, the last time I tried to set up a media center pc(which was years ago admittedly) I had to constantly fuck with settings to get most things even halfway watchable.

not that guy but I seriously use it only to watch movies, does it offer any advantages on that side?

Minix N7 or something.

Plays any file I throw at it without a problem.
Runs Android so I don't have to wait for shitty companies to make shitty apps for a specific device.
Can stream of home network or connect an external HD to it or transfer files however you want.
Headphone jack cause my shitty TV doesn't have one for some reason

Only shitty thing was the remote it came with was horrible. But a 10 dollar air mouse fixed that.

I just use plex server and the tv can see my comp.

No cables
No disks
No usb
No external devices