Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QVI6aT2kqmw
youtube.com/watch?v=Ep0vCSwP1f4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

John Frusciante and flea, to a lesser extent, are extremely talented

Why don't you like CC op?

GY!BE have undeniable musical chops

Cardiacs were nothing if not a very ambitious, imaginative group

Josh Homme has cool hair. That's about it. QOTSA fucking sucks.

Devendra Obi Banhart clearly knows how to tap into the collective pleasure centre; his music is hardly disliked by anyone. Since his music isn't downright offensively bad, one can only call him successful as an artist. This was really hard for me to conjure. Oh he also convinced Vashti to record again.

Coldplay really know how to work a crowd

Metal bands are a fun punching bag.

Do you like metal in general but not Cannibal Corpse?

If so, and if you haven't heard of them already, check out Blotted Science. Alex Webster on bass, Hannes Grossman on drums, and Ron Jarzombek on guitar.

I don't like Cannibal Corpse either but I do agree the bass is ridiculous

Bonus points for OP using original The Bleeding cover.

Why do they need the E D G Y album art anyway? What's the point? We get it. You're a metal band. Fuck sakes...

Why wouldn't a fucking death metal band called CANNIBAL CORPSE have an edgy cover?

"Edgy" needs to fucking die.

yeah i only listen to music with no edge at all like lionel ritchie and michael bolton

Look I'm just saying I don't get the appeal. I worded it dickishly and I apologize. But still, I do NOT get the appeal of this genre or cover art like that shit.

If you like it that's great. It's just not for me.

(Nice trips)

Edgy was a poor word choice. I guess 'over the top' is what I meant?

edgy = cool

That album cover is actually pretty tame when compared to, say Butchered at Birth or Eaten Back to Life. That's what makes CC so fun to me....it's pretty much all tongue in cheek.

It's because death metal is an over the top genre by design.

>tongue in cheek.
So the gore on the cover is a joke, in a way?

I understand that. Like I said, it's just not for me. I'm trying to understand the appeal.

>I'm trying to understand the appeal.
It's extreme.

You could say that. They were just a bunch of kids in the Buffalo NY area that wanted to start a band. It's all in jest. The lyrics and artwork are over the top and they know it.

Alright, thanks for explaining.

So that's the appeal for most people? Alright. That's understandable.

Now I just gotta get past the vocal style*.

*(That part's a joke please don't kill me, again its just not my taste)

No worries. It's not for everyone, that's for sure.

What else do you like aside from metal? You seem like a cool guy.

A lot of music, really, not just metal.

What are some of your favorites? Metal and non-metal?

The album cover is somewhat relevant to their music also, as all their songs are about detailed murder and gore imagery.
Plus their album covers were so graphic that they got banned in many countries, which in turn helped them, since more people want to hear/see banned material.

Such a broad question I like anything from Miles Davis, to Meshuggah.

>as all their songs are about detailed murder and gore imagery
I'm not surprised

>banned in many countries, which in turn helped them, since more people want to hear/see banned material
Very smart business move on their part.

Do you have a top 5? Any specific favorites?

Yup. Even if you don't like the band and that type of music, Centuries of Torment (documentary) on YouTube is interesting to see how the band got started/evolved.

>Autechre

They probably know a shit ton about computers, programming and all that, so that's cool for them, I guess.

>Blur
I actually like Gorillaz, so at least Damon is not a terrible musician

>Wavves
They probably had a lot of fun recording their music

Tough question but I would say Iron Maiden, older Metallica, older In Flames, older Cannibal Corpse, and Meshuggah but that list could change given the mood.

Cool. Here's my top 5 if you're curious.

>David Bowie
>Bjork
>Billy Joel
>Stevie Wonder
>Herbie Hancock

Great choices. Definitely a fan of each.

Cannibal Corpse is actually pretty okay when you look at the metal genre that they helped spawn.

Look up "Slam" metal with wonderful bands such as Waking The Cadaver and Torsofuck:
youtube.com/watch?v=QVI6aT2kqmw

Billy Joel was at Madison Square garden a few nights months ago and I really wished I went to see him.

Love slam.

Damn....Wonder what the setlist was.

How.
Do you.
Listen to this...?

I've been on a BIG Herbie kick lately. I'm hoping to have a playlist done by the time there's another playlist thread.

I'm sorry I have to ask twice.
How the fuck do you listen to this?
I'm trying not to judge your tastes but...Holy fuck...I hate it.

Try a more accessible band:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ep0vCSwP1f4

Herbie is a genius. When Rockit came out it took over the airways. It was a special time.

Slam is not a genre that's easy to get into. At least for me, it took a long time for me to really like it, but I cannot listen to it in my car.

Haven't gotten up to the album with Rockit on it. About to finish 'Magic Windows'

>'more accessible'
>Almost exactly the same
Not a fan. Sorry.
Is he even saying words?

BMTH has good album covers. I fucking despise that band and that whole genre more than most things

GET HYPE AS FUCK. It's the only genre I feel "gross" for listening to though.

Is 'hype as fuck' slang for drugs/Alcohol?
I'm not old enough to get wasted enough to like this shit.

(Trying not to call it shit since people like it but ....I can't help it I'm sorry. Screamo has to be the worse thing in music)

Interesting. I got into them very late and love them. Saw them in NYC last year and love them even more. Oh, and btw, I am an educated, professional metalhead.

>Screamo has to be the worse thing in music
Oh you're trolling.

Not OP but they're the least interesting death metal band on the planet

Name one (1) thing that's worse than screamo when it comes to music.

Kinda agree

Agreed. Frusciante is a fantastic guitarrist.

There are way less interesting death metal bands out there. Dismember, Obituary, Entrails, fucking Six Feet Under...

>Six Feet Under
Definitely. Wtf happened to Barnes? He fucking became shittier and shittier