The rest if the hip-hop genre has just been BTFO by A Tribe Called Quest

The rest if the hip-hop genre has just been BTFO by A Tribe Called Quest.

Confirmed for hip-hop AOTY.

why do people care about this loser's opinion again?

>end the 80s with a forward thinking single
>three straight back-to-back genre defining classics in the 90s
>legacy continued past breakup in the Soulquarian group with members like D'Angelo and J Dilla releasing watershed albums in the 00s
>their style of conscious jazz rap still influences artists like Kendrick Lamar, who releases arguably the most critically celebrated album of the 10s (next to maybe MBDTF)
>still come back in 2016 and release the Hip-Hop AOTY

Too bad he didn't understand it. White people aren't allowed to listen or critique hip-hop.

>MEMBER DAVID BOWIE?
>MEMBER A TRIBE CALLED QUEST?
Can new artists even compete?

Been away for a few weeks, whats the overall Sup Forums opinion on the new a tribe called quest?

10/10 AOTY

>still come back in 2016 and release the Hip-Hop AOTY
And after losing their best member.

He was on the record though

It's Hip Hop Album of The Year easy.

cuckthony cuckcucko here. the world's cuckiest cuck

>>Sup Forums

people didn't care and then pitchfork and fanty gave it 9s
does that answer your question

That's because the userbase of Sup Forums is too young to know who ATCQ is.

>memetano gave a mediocre album a 9 its aoty r-right guys?

a giant rockist circle jerk because it has geetars and bars yo when most haven't even heard a jungle brothers album

This album is a gift from god himself

That has nothing to do with it, we all know who the fucking Velvet Underground is, Sup Forums's just not as hip hop following as we are with rock.
And also Low End Theory's beats are a little too subtle for the new listener to get lost in.

fuck off and stop living on Sup Forums, it was very well-liked pretty much the moment it was released

well you fucked that up

Just like I fucked your mom up

because he's not a loser

haha shut the fuck I like Jungle Brothers but their albums production doesn't hold a candle to this new ATCQ album.

you're not special for having listened to them.

The fuck is jungle brothers?

well received by my asshole

this, white people are guests in the house of hip-hop

jungle brothers were way more important than this new ATCQ snoozefest

>jungle brothers were way more important
in the fucking 80s maybe, but not anymore

Blackstar was the first bowie I ever listened, and it still is my favorite album of this year

truely GOAT

lolno

>t. white race baiters

I made a Facebook cover out of this album and I'm not sure about it. Anyone wanna see?

The real rap AOTY coming through,

sure

yes

boring, nowhere near as good as their first three

Feel the same way.
They're pushing the same trite narrative you see people spouting these days. The beats were good but overall message wasn't on point, it was just pandering. Nothing thought provoking or original. Not the same without the funky diabetic. I don't see how it got such acclaim. I guess if you gave it a bad review it would be sinful or some shit.

please no bully

Stop being such a tryhard. Jungle Brothers were never, in any period (in which both existed), more important/better than the Tribe. I like them, don't get me wrong, but come on.

anyone have a link to a download? Pretty sure I'll just buy it but money saved is money saved.

found it in the archive, no need to reply anons

Looks good

im listening to op right now (so far so good), but other than that
is aoty

Too many rappers jumping on the bandwagon trying to get the same exact message across by shoving it down their listeners throats.

pretty nice

I really felt this with the new Common album. I like Common and he's always been on the conscious shit but his new album is way too in your face with it for me.

Sup Forums never even discusses hiphop anymore
between Sup Forums shitposting about how it's 'degenerate' music and the memerap shitstorm there are hardly any threads about hiphop anymore.

Go elsewhere if you want to discuss hiphop imo.

>strong 9

Why not just have some balls and give it a 10? You know he's just scared to give it a perfect score because it's a "le comeback album"

no phife dawg no 10

I'm enjoying it for the most part, but holy crap that chorus on We The People and all the obtusely political themes that continued for a lot of the album will really ruin its long term appeal to me. The serious tone on Kids ruins the whole song for me.

Phife Dawg is on the album

This really brought the album down for me too.
The first time I heard We The People it was a live performance on TV.
'Muslims and gays, boy, we hate your ways'
And the crowd goes fucking wild. Is that really all it takes? I don't know. I just feel like ATCQ gets a pass on this because of nostalgia.

actually I think it's because he already gave a 10 in 2015, 2014 and 2013, so he doesn't want to just hand out another one until something REALLY amazing comes along.

Can't wait to see all the sites to give it AotY and specifically mention the 'perfect timing of its release'

>'Muslims and gays, boy, we hate your ways'

they were trying to act like bigots in a way that was AGAINST them, they don't actually mean that themselves. they rapped that to show how stupid racists/homophobes sound. it wasn't sincere.

>they were trying to act like bigots in a way that was AGAINST them, they don't actually mean that themselves.

wow. really makes you think...

Go home fandingo

We know that. I think the other guy was referring to how the reference to current events might eventually date the album

Uh... No shit?
It's not thought provoking at all. They don't address the issues in an inventive way. They are simply name dropping hot button issues.

this is AOTY and it isnt even out yet

I still think it's a good album, the beats are good and the flows are pretty nice. I just think that if they wanted an album with a message they could have done more than pander to the lowest common denominator.

This looks like a videogame

Still my HHAOTY

I wanted to like this. I can't stand Danny Brown though.

Ohh

this is why I don't listen to rap you have to think too much

what about my fucking mixtape

post it

Ugh I hated their SNL performance so much but I will now give their music a chance, it just didn't sound good to me, where were the good beats? I couldn't hear any complex schemes or funny punchlines in there. It seemed too serious with the fallen friend motif.

I can in theory enjoy conscious raps but it sounded too boring for me live but OK I'll try it.

How can you guys suck Kendrick's dick so much but not like this album? It's literally like a less "experimental" version of TPAB but literally everything about it is almost equally good--the beats (show me another beat like the one on Melatonin, seriously), the hooks and samples, and even though the lyrics are very topical they are done in a tasteful way (maybe excluding We The People).

Compare the lyrics on this album to the kinds of lyrics you find on other popular rap songs such as, for example, YG's "Fuck Donald Trump". WOW, how subtle and mature, YG. Meanwhile ATCQ has some actual depth to them.

Also just because an album addresses current events/politics of its time doesn't mean it's "pandering" did you ever consider that maybe these guys actually believe in their messages and WANTED people to hear them, rather than just trying to make a quick cash grab? American politics have been all fucked up the last couple years so doesn't it make sense that a group who is literally considered LEGENDARY for addressing social issues would have something to say now?

I swear Sup Forums finds the dumbest excuses to hate an album. "Boring", "pretentious", "overproduced", "cringey", "pandering" etc. These are non-criticisms that could be applied to almost literally any album ever made and they would be just as meaningless.

I didn't even like TPAB and nobody liked Still Breezy for that track.

>American politics have been all fucked up the last couple years so doesn't it make sense that a group who is literally considered LEGENDARY for addressing social issues would have something to say now?
That's the problem, they aren't addressing anything. I do expect them to address social issues but they aren't. They could have said just as much by just making a shoutout to minorities at the end of one of their tracks.

yes

>nobody liked Still Breezy

Fantano gave it an 8/10 and put it on his "I LOVE THESE" list

>they aren't addressing anything

did you listen to the lyrics? they literally address racism, government corruption, police brutality, and like a dozen other issues. Just because they aren't namedropping specific incidents like Kendrick doesn't mean they aren't addressing anything.

There's also lyrics on the album that are unrelated to politics and are more about what it's like to grow up and realize that life isn't as simple or easy as you think it is (the track Kids for example), which in theory sounds really angsty and cheesy but they actually pull it off really well.

The album doesn't sound very preachy to me like a lot of other rappers do. It sounds like they put actual thought into their lyrics so that in the future the album will be remembered for more than just "oh yeah they talk about politics and there are some dope beats".

It's funny because Sup Forums is the only place in the world where people will insult an album for focusing on having bars, when that is something that these days should really be praised because not many rappers are bringing bars in the mainstream. The focus is all on trap now, but if you dare speak out against that you are just a "le wrong generation fedora" or something.

Pretty much this.

>Sup Forums is gonna shit all over this album now just because their meme gods P4K and Fantano (rightfully) praised it after Sup Forums ignored it

never change guys

This

This only applies to people who liked TPAB but don't like this album. And I'm willing to bet the majority of the people who like Kendrick and TPAB also dig this album.

actually it applies to anyone making the criticisms I addressed.

not sure what you're getting at

he said nobody liked still brazy for that track. meaning no one thought it was a highlight. nice job picking apart this dude's words my man

once again Fantano praised it, he literally called it the best anti-Trump song that came out this year.

>that scratching on Enough!

Hnnnnnnnng

>anyone who doesn't like what I like is wrong

>Sup Forums's just not as hip hop following as we are with rock
well that's news to me, wasn't this place full of backpacker bait threads years ago?

Ali is still around desu

now I feel dumb

Sup Forums hasn't ignored it though

>mainstream rappers aren't bringing bars
>therefore bars are good

I don't even find the 'bars' on this album an issue, but man people in this board have to learn how to think.

A Tribe Called Quest are back, huh?

Let's hear it for boring, competent jazz rap!

it's not really a praise, most of the anti-trump dogs were fucking awful

Sincerely speaking, not just trying to dis you: ATCQ always seemed boring to me when I didn't really have shit going on in my life. When you're uncertain about goals and relationships, struggling, having a lot on your mind, and just sort of drifting by - their albums are like your inside in sounds.

this is the first thread I've seen about it that's gotten more than 30 replies and it has Fantano in the OP

by comparison, when Danny Brown's new album came out, Sup Forums was having multiple threads about it reach the bump limit every hour for like a week.

That could explain it.

that's not what I said

bars are good in general

and mainstream rappers aren't bringing them anymore

kys

>kys
How rude

what's rude about kysses?

Unsolicited kysses are vry rude.

what was his 10 in 2013?

The reaction to Danny Brown was insane, I never understood it. TLOP and JD are the only albums in recent years which made more noise here upon release. When We Got It From Here came out I remember like 3 threads, one of them had 200 replies or so, that's quite a lot considering how ATCQ were never slightly a meme.

Death Grips - The Money Store

that was 2012