When I was little my mom told me that my grandfather served in an elite force to protect our family from evil people...

When I was little my mom told me that my grandfather served in an elite force to protect our family from evil people and I should be proud that I'm his grandson. I found this yesterday in his personal effects.... Should I still be proud?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:German_military_personnel_of_World_War_II
dd-wast.de/de/startseite.html
dd-wast.de/en/tracing-request.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I smell bait but I'll bite
>yes

yes, he served his country and that is all that matters

More than ever, your grandpa was not a pussy and had very strong ideas about the future of his country.

This might be bait. But yes. He answered the call when his country needed him. A soldier is above the politics of his country.

Yes.

Hang on surely you knew your grandfathers nationality and roughly his age and could put 2 and 2 together? Calling bait on this one.

B8 4 sure
But interesting topic non the less

Talked to my mother today about papa and she said he joined the SS at 19 but she didn't remember the year she said somewhere around 39-40 and our family was originally from Austria but moved into Germany in the early 1930s.

You should be more proud than any of us.

Sure you should be proud.
My great-grandpa on my mother's side of the family was in the SA, my great-grandpa on my father's side was in the SS. My grandpa on my father's side was a low ranked officer in the Wehrmacht.

Military types are just that - military types.
They rarely indulge in politics - and especially if your folks were soldiers, there's nothing bad about that heritage.

That is - not even including the whole hitler-did-nothing-wrong-meme.

Does anyone know a site where I can view the military records of German soldiers during WWII?
My grandmother who passed away some years ago had two younger brothers who supposedly died on the front against Russia.

Both came out of the city of Jena.

This is your key to being the king of Sup Forums so yes

Holy shit, I feel your post is bait

>soldier is above the politics of his country

Yikes.

Wikipedia has a list of German personal, it might be on there if you ctrl F their last names

Link?

It's unlikely but possible, worth a try

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:German_military_personnel_of_World_War_II

The list is too small. I know a lot of the German records for WWII were destroyed.

My grandmother always said that one of her brother's was killed and the other one went missing.
They were young so they did not have a lengthy military career.

My greatgrandfather served on a boat at the Black Sea and died there.
About him I did find where he's gravestone is and what rank he had, but that's about it.

My grandmother lost all the paperwork and pictures she had during a great flood in the 50's

A lot of shit happens in 75 years

dd-wast.de/de/startseite.html apparently the best site but it's all in German.

probably bait.
various members of my family served in WWII
some in the army, some in the resistance.
be proud, no matter what side he fought on. he fought for his country.

Found an English lang request form. You'll have to pay for the records though. dd-wast.de/en/tracing-request.html

I second this !

Yeah I have known about this site for a while, but it's a payed service.
I'd rather do my own research first and if it's not possible to find any more information I will use their service.

You should be even more proud.

do you really need to ask??

>taking the bait

Sup Forums seems to still be pretty bluepill.

Do you have more pics? Medals?