Ask somebody who's actually happy anything

Ask somebody who's actually happy anything.

How do you cope with your own mortality?

why do you choose to ignore the crippling depression underneath your skin, to believe in the lie that your life is worth living for anything at all, as anything you do will result in the death of your senses and feelings, which themselves are lies?

Do you love me?

Define Happiness.

I hear people who are happy have to listen to really shitty music. True?

Are you a JesusFag?

Back up vocals: do you love me?

Now that I can dance....

Not OP, but also feeling really good about things recently. Ask me things.

Dance
Dance
WATCH ME NOW!

Ok.. Do you love me?

I can mash potato

what things are making you feel good

Are you on drugs? Or real happiness? I didn't know such a thing existed

I can do the twist

It makes me sad but it doesn't make life sour. That was actually something pretty tough to learn. When I rejected my christian education I fell into a pit of existential despair that lasted for about a decade and that ended with me abusing drugs, cheating on my relatioships, and finally dropping out of aerospace engineering and enter a deep depression with suicide complex.

In that state I reflected a lot about life, I read Boecius, Nietzsche, Kundera, Camus, Kafka, Kierkegaard (and others, but those are some of the most important). I started to deeply understand the meaning of inevitability.

Since then I see life exclusively as some artpiece in which I participate, and pain is only a clash with the Will of the universe (in Schopenhauerian terms).

To put it simply, as Nietzsche said in The Birth of Tragedy: "It is only as an aesthetic phenomenon that existence and the world are eternally justified".

Why are you a faggot?

nah
I already passed a very hard depression, read my comment here to understand how do I cope with the monstruosity of life
One of the most influential ideas in my life is the Heroic vision of life that the ancient greeks lived by and Nietzsche developed

Hehe

The fact that I stopped caring so much about the negatives. Shit happens, no way around it. Best to just smile and plow through, what else can you do?
Also the weather's really nice.

I have been drug-free for 22 months now. Not even alcohol. I don't need it anymore. I'm not closed to them either, though. I may do some psychedelics again if I find a good moment for it.

Real happiness exists but not in the way you think. It's not permanent euphoria that brings happiness. Peace of mind and appreciation of the beautiful mystery of existance while accepting pain and misery will make you happy, smooth euphoria will follow.

>Also the weather's really nice.
ok so in other words you have no real reason to be happy

˙ɯǝɐᵇ ǝɥʇ ᵒˢןɐ ˙ᵒᵒʇ ˢɥıʇ ᵖǝɐɹ ᵘɐɔ ˢᵘıǝɹᵖɟ ɹᵒⁿʎ ɟı ǝǝˢ ¡ʇʇᵘɐɹᵒɯᵈı ˢɐʍ ᵇᵈᵘıןǝןˢ ʇᵒⁿɥɥᵇʇ ˢɐʎןʍɐ ı ᵖᵘɐ ɥǝɐʎ ¿ɥⁿɥ 'ᵇıɯᵘᶻɐɐ ˙ǝɥᵒןʍ ɐ ˢɐ ᵖᵒɹʍ ǝɥʇ ʇⁿᑫ 'ɟǝןʇˢı ʎᑫ ɹǝǝʇʇן ʎǝʌɹǝ ᵖǝɐɹ ʇᵒᵘ ˢᵒǝᵖ ᵖıᵘɯ ᵘɯɐⁿɥ ǝɥʇ ǝɐǝˢɔⁿᑫ ˢı ˢɥıʇ ˙ɯןɹǝᵒᑫᵈ ɐ ʇıʇⁿᵒɥʍ ʇı ᵖǝɐɹ ןןʇıˢ ᵘɐɔ ⁿᵒʎ ᵖᵘɐ ˢǝˢɯ ןʇᵒɐʇ ɐ ǝᑫ ᵘɐɔ ʇǝˢɹ ǝɥʇ ˙ǝɐןɔᵈ ʇıᵇɥɹ ǝɥʇ ᵘı ǝᑫ ɹǝǝʇʇן ʇɐˢן ᵖᵘɐ ʇıˢɹɟ ǝɥʇ ʇɥɐʇ ˢı ᵇᵘɥıʇ ʇᵘʇɯɐᵒᵈɹı ʎᵘןᵒ ǝɥʇ 'ǝɹɐ ᵖᵒɹʍ ɐ ᵘı ˢʇǝɹǝʇן ǝɥʇ ɹɹǝᵖᵒ ʇɥɐʍ ᵘı ɹǝɐʇʇɯ ʇ,ᵒᵘǝˢᵖ ʇı 'ʎˢıʇʌɹǝᵘıⁿ ǝᵖᵇıɹᑫɐɯɔ ʇɐ ɥɐɹɔǝǝˢɹ ᵒʇ ᵇıᵘɹɔᵖɔᵒɐ 'ᵖıᵘɯ ᵘɐⁿɯɥ ǝɥʇ ɟᵒ ɹᵒǝʍᵈ ǝɹıןᑫǝᵖᵘɔı ǝɥʇ ᵇˢıᵘⁿ ˙ᵇǝıɐᵘᵖɹ ˢɐʍ ı ʇɥɐʍ ᵖɹᵘᵘɐʇᵖˢǝⁿ ʎʇןɔɐןⁿɐ ᵖᵒןⁿɔ ı ʇɥɐʇ ǝǝıǝןʌᑫ ʇ,ᵒⁿᵖᵘɔ ı

That's called denial, you're worse than before you embraced that.

Do you *need* a reason though?

It's not denial, its highness. I would love to write extensively about this but given that Sup Forums will erase it soon I probably won't.

I recommend you get familiar with ataraxia, Schopenhauer's interpretation of it (and of asian born analogous concepts of ataraxia) and Nietzsche's response to Schopenhauer.

It's denial, you're rationalizing your happiness, truly happy people don't do that.

There is no real reason to be happy or unhappy either. As Schopenhauer said, happiness is not what happens to you but how you interpret what happens. So it should not really be called happiness, more like hopeness. One must hold hope that everything happened for a good reason.

Not the exact quote but more or less how I remember it. Part of happiness is faith, and I say this as a non supersticious atheist. Faith in that life is worth living, in that good awaits us and it is necessary to wake up tomorrow and love and trust and be open to the hurricane that is life.

I wish I knew how to be happy. I really no obvious reason not to be, I married the woman of my dreams, I have two amazing children, I have good job that pays very well and I live in a place e that a lot of people call paradise yet I find myself thinking about suicide a lot.

well i don't know but a girlfriend would make me pretty fucking happy right now

nerd

Did you get that from /p/?

I don't rationalize a non-existent happiness, I understand what it is and create it this way. I am not negating pain, which would be denial. I'm acknowledging pain and cheerfulness, pleasure and despair. I fight for happiness but I don't find against the inevitable (death, loss, solitude).

Instead, I understand my life as an heroic story with purely aesthetic motives. That means that the good and the bad both merge in my mind into something of inconmensurable and nameless beauty and I accept my death being grateful for having this brief chance to appreciate reality.

I don't hold on to my life, I let go of the instinctive need to survive and accept that my life is a brief, infinitely beautiful spark between to eternal voids. I am just meaningless beauty and everything else is, too.

Been single all 22 years of my life, couldn't be in a better spot right now. Learn to live with yourself, sustain your own happiness, before you bring someone else into the equation. If you can't be happy on your own, how do you expect to be happy when you need to share your happiness and partake in someone's burdens?

You're denying your own existence, you have given up, you're dying.

good point but doesn't change the fact that i need love

That happened to me too during a long bad relationship. She was the best woman I've ever had, truthfull, sincere and genuinely good. Still, I felt trapped and though about suicide a lot, too. What helped me were two things, trying to ingrain in myself the idea that I am free, that I am where I am and I could go away if I wanted to, although that could be incredibly painful for many people. The second was trying to understand myself, my childhood, my traumas, and how those related to self-boycotting behaviours.

I'd go to the public library and start reading a ton of good philosophy and literature (don't even bother with late 20th century philisophers like Derrida).

The picture was from a wallpaper thread a while ago.

I will try that thank you.

OP here. Girlfriends can be awesome but can be hellish too. Intimacy can bring joy and also a lot of pain. Happiness is independent of that.

By stating that you need [anything] to be happy you fall into a trap. Nothing will make you happy, everything in the world won't make you happy, not matter what you achieve, you won't be happy. You will only say "alright, now what? I must need something more" and repeat again and again.

Happiness is simply a way of understanding your world.

When are due to come down?

Actually, the pursuit of something is what keeps us going. If we had nothing to achieve, what would be the point?

I feel sorry for anyone who thinks that way.

Lol whatever dude. If you are trying to troll at least try to respond to what I'm saying. If you understood what I'm talking about and had read Nietzsche you'd understand I'm doing the opposite of denying my life or my place in the world.

I'm affirming life by accepting death. Not accepting death meand living scared and losing your time in fear and senseless material desire. Today's society makes us live like we are never going to die because observing our destruction is something hard that we want to avoid with worldly possesions and titles that mean nothing.

Read The Death of Ivan Illich, by Dostoievski and you'll understand.

I don't want to be condescending but that is a vision of life that won't bring you happiness. Longing and desiring are what binds us to a life of no contemplation, of being thrown around by our primal will and suffering inmensely for being in a never ending quest for a false treasure.

you need self love. and im not talking about wanking.

Why?
I'm saying being millionaire with a wife doesn't ensure happiness because you have nothing left to strive for. A lonely poorfag has more potential happiness because of this.

i already love myself there is still something missing though

This tbqh. But happiness is an illusion. By definition it is a constant state of feeling good. Our brains just aren't made that way.

Implying that fully self-actualized people are unhappy because their needs are met and will never develop loftier goals

You talk about books and philosophers with pride and self indulgence, I wouldn't discard the possibility that you're nothing but quasi intelectual trash, but you also seem self absorbed in your claims and views, you're probably an idiot in the end.
No one is outside or "beyond" anything in this world. All systems in this reality are fundamentally flawed and complement themselves by combining or joining parts between them. Thinking you don't need nothing from anyone or anything and calling yourself "happy" is denying your most basics of instincts and sense of self preservation and just outright being an hypocrite. You're just an idiot that read too much into the minds and philosophies of others and forgot what means to truly live, that "enlightenment" you gloat so much about is just an illusion fueled by your ego.

How do you spend your days? Do you have any hobbies/activities that bring you fulfillment?

They both have the same potential for happiness because both having things that don't fill in the void and longing for something to fill the void can be equally desperating and anguishing.

Buddha gave up his royal position but later found that he didn't want to live in pain and suffering either. He found peace in himself while only providing modestly for the body.

What's it like?

Are you single by any chance?

You sound like a half manic faggot who's full of shit

I used to play Hearthstone all the time but lately I've started chilling on Sup Forums more and more. I'm suspecting this loss of interest for my favorite hobby is due to a creeping depression.
I'm looking for solutions to this, hence why I've started looking for a girlfriend and a job.
I also play sports once a week.
I've made a few friends from Hearthstone.

How many times have you been admitted to a psych ward.
Also two time legend here

Oh, I know I'm an idiot but your simply using an ad hominem argument to disregard some of the most beautiful and profound ideas that humanity has created in its history.

Not only that, you are misunderstanding my point. Peace and happiness are not isolationism, are not denying of the good things in the world. It means cheering the pleasures, the beauty, the sharing our mysterious story with other beings and being grateful for that while also acknowledging that pain is inevitable and that we must resist and let go of them, one of those pains being longing and thinking that material possesions will bring us to happiness.

Happiness is seeing both the good and the bad as beauty and understanding death as a law that gives beauty to everything.

Beauty couldn't existe without ending, destruction and void.

No. I have a girlfriend and we've been together almost years now. Actually the fact that my life is pretty nice now could be used to tell me that my happiness is purely due to material conditions being nice (I am back two university studying two STEM degrees and have no financial troubles) but I've been through years long episodes of depression so I know what it is like.

Why? It's not like I've come and said that happiness is whatever. I probably wouldn't have been capable of so myself, I simply learned what some of the wisest men in history learned about life and happiness and, after combining all their wisdom in a way to fit my individual conditions and experiences, I followed them.

Hhm thank you for thoroughly answering my question op

How is he denying his own existence? You're just trying desperately to shit on somebody else's happiness. Tell me, who hurt you?

Once. How the fuck did you know?
I'll never go back though because I stopped smoking weed and my "mental illness" was drug induced.

4 years*, had my number pad blocked lol.

Because that is bullshit and nobody believes that shit.

I could ask what's the point in any of the things people try to achieve, anyway. Ultimately it's all relatively pointless but if having goals makes your life enjoyable then it can only really be a good thing.

What is bullshit? Who doesn't believe in it? The wisdom of the experiences and reflections of brilliant men and women in the past? Why would you deny that there is something to learn from all of them without falling in idolization or blind following?

>learned what the wisest men in history have learned
>been admitted to a psych ward
You are manic

OP here. I am not the one admitted to a psych ward. That was some dude who plays hearthstone.

Btw you are quite stupid aren't you? I stated I have a gf and the guy who said that says he wants a girlfriend.

you're confusing me with someone else

>Trying this hard to bring people down

Seriously, who hurt you? Lets talk about it. Why are you really angry?

You're still claiming to have learned what the wisest men in history have learned.
Even if this is true, which it's not, it would still be bullshit.
You're not going to read a few books, be more aware of certain things and become happy.
Feelings can't be learned

You don't understand at all...

Happiness is not a feeling. Pleasure, pain, despain, euphoria are feelings. That is the problem, you are looking for a high when happiness is a choice to interpret your life and your human condition,