Hey Sup Forums, I'm going to see the doctor about my depression tommorrow...

Hey Sup Forums, I'm going to see the doctor about my depression tommorrow, and he will most likely prescribe me antidepressants.

I've never been on them before and I want to know what they are really like. Will they rot my mind? Do they actually work? Or is it just a placebo?

I started anti-depressants just before starting a new job. They also help with anxiety.

I think they have made a big difference, I'm less of a dick and wake up excited to go to work. I also feel like I should be doing stuff.

One massive change I've noticed is that I now remember my dreams. It's so strange, so they obviously are doing something for me.

Kinda wish i'd done this a long time ago.

It kind of depends on the person and what anti-depressants you're prescribed. I've been on 4 different kind of anti-depressants and only the last two have helped me and levelled me out. Made me more energetic and motivated.

Thanks, that's reassuring. Never heard anything about them affecting dreams before but it's good you can notice the change they have on you. I've been depressed for nearly 3 years now and really down for the last 9 months, kind of wish I would of gone to the doctor sooner

Yeah I understand there is a variety of types which suit different people better, hopefully I can get prescribed the right ones

They work, but you gotta wait at least 5 or 6 months till the first effects start, so never quit, keep it cool, follow your doctor's instructions and report any unwanted side effect, but don't puss out, you're trying to get better right? This is something you're doing for you cause you need it, you must make an effort, sometimes you'll feel it ain't working or you'll feel like you're getting worse, those moments you have to deal with it and follow your prescription, don't overdose, don't take less than prescripted, in a year or two you'll feel quite different and maybe you'll be cured.

It will be a long road, sometimes a drug won't work so your doctor will change it, it will start with small doses for a few months, then bigger ones if needed, then lower ones when you're getting off of them.
It is frustrating sometimes, but you'll know it was worth it when you finally end your treatment.

Majority of antidepressants barely work better than placebo in clinical trials, often times even worse.
OP try SAMe aka SAM-e aka S-adenosyl L-methionine.
SAMe is a precursor chemical your body uses for a dozen different neurotransmitters and what not. Now, it won't *necessarily* fix your chemical imbalance but it does give your body the necessary chemicals to manufacture it's own neurotransmitters by itself without messing with reuptake or absorption. Best part? It usually works better than antidepressants. It's used widely in Europe, by prescription I might add. And? Hardly any side effects, as it's a natural chemical your body makes anyway and it doesn't force anything, your body simply makes what it needs.
One thing though is you should take a B-vitamin complex with it, but that's cheap and probably a good thing to take anyway.
Fwiw I'm taking SAMe right now and it's helping a lot.

Thank you, I will try to follow your advice, I really hope they can do something for me and make me feel better eventually. Even though it's not guaranteed I'm ready to try and do something about it and get better.

>but you gotta wait at least 5 or 6 months till the first effects start

Incorrect.

If an antidepressant is going to work for you, you'll start to feel effects in about 4 weeks, give or take.

If it's been 2 months, and nothing, then it's time to try another antidepressant.

All these blue pulled faggots in this thread. It's unreal

Smoke weed dont become a zombie faggot

They will make you commit a mass shooting.

The only thing an antidepressant does is create an imbalance in the brain way worse than there already is one that you and your doctors think you have. Best advice, don't take them

Yeah make sure you stay on them 6 months meme. Wonder why they would want you to keep using there drugs hmm. I was on ssris for 2 months, it changed me. I came off of them and it was emotional hell. Now I'm done and much more productive, fuck that shit it doesn't cure. It just makes you feel bad and takes a little edge off anxiety. Look towards solving your depression, rather than covering it up user.

I took them for 4 years, i stopped beginning this year. Worst decision i ever made was starting with that shit, dont take them man.

Smoke weed!!!

lol enjoy your Alzheimers at 50

Yeah i got meds for depression recently. Take the one for sleeping the world turns better. The rest is bull shit.

I was never suicidal before taking them, and seriously almost an heroed while on them. Now that I am off it seems absolutely crazy I even considered that. Dont do it user.

the shadows are too long for me to type holy fuck

They can be very helpful, once you get the exact drugs and dosage right. What works well for some won't work at all for others, so a little trial and error is ahead. Keeping a journal will help you and your Dr. design your treatment.

Don't assume your Dr. knows best. Nobody really knows -why- some of these drugs work. If you aren't getting the help you need, go elsewhere.

Find shrooms eat shrooms be happy as fuck for 3 months

Retard alert

Why do people ITT sound like they work for big pharma

There is absolutely 0 evidence of a chemical imbalance causing depression. Stop being bluepilled, do some research, and the motives behind changing ssris to a treatment model for money.

I was on prozac for just a couple of months and it gave me something called akathisia. It's a pretty rare side effect but basically it makes you really restless and it feels like you have to be moving at all times. I spent hours pacing around my house in misery. It likely won't happen to you but it's something to keep in mind. I wish you the best user.

>5 or 6 months till the first effects start
False. You can begin to see a noticeable shift in your mood after a few weeks.

Tell me about all the antidepressants you've taken.

When I quit my antidepressants and replaced them with weed I dropped out of a top ten engineering program. Don't listen to this cunt.

Nah.

Show me your Psychiatry degree from a reputable medical school.

>Look towards solving your depression, rather than covering it up
This is very true but your bad experience with them is in indicative of everyone's. They aren't a long term fix but they can effectively help you get back on your feet.

Why?

Different medications affect different people differently.

Source?

Source?

Cant handle weed or realized he didnt realy want to be a engineer blaims weec

Implying i need a degree to push amphetamines and antidepressants to 8 year olds

Weed not weec

I have zero hope that they would do anything for me but they definitely did but I gained almost 40pds and couldn't cum while taking them and stopped and now I'm finally back to my original weight after 8ish months

>shilling for pharmaceutical companies
KYS.

They threw everything at me as far as anti-depressants go when I was in High School. I was a cutter and suicidal etc... For years I was off and on different shit... All they do is numb you out in one way or another. Fuck with your sleep / diet... cloud thoughts.
>fuck that shit
I eventually went cold turkey and started a journal to dig into why I was depressed and how I could fix it. I started working out and made actual changes to my life. Dont get me wrong - once in a while ill still get depressed as fuck... but I would rather deal with that then the fucking side effects of the bullshit meds they throw at you. I am way better off now than ever.

>pills working to change your life philosophy
It doesnt work like that. You need to dig into your mind and ask serious questions and change your shit. Pills wont do that.

If I were you I would avoid the mess of taking pills.

Digging into yur mind can fuck you up if all you find is your own weaknesses

Yea but you need to face what ever the fuck it is - and come up with a solution that you can work with. Thats the point... Pills wont do that and no matter what the problem is you need to be pro active about getting better - or nothing gets better. Pills will just numb the shit and kick the can down the road forever.

Its not a way to live man. I say this as a person who spent almost a year in a mental hospital when I was 17... and my left arm is covered in scars that will be there for the rest of my life. If I was able to dig out of it I know most others can too

OP here, sorry I was busy with work, there's a lot of contradiction posts here but that was expected. Thanks for the advice and information everyone.

The retard is you.

He's too high to type lol

I wish freakin dealers a faggot and my plants are young the reason i cant type is im on a phone

Ask for cymbalta 60mg per day.

Trips

Shut the fuck up dickhead. Weed is the main ingredient in psycho douchbagisim.

Iv learned to much about the world to want to be apart of it just tryin to find a reason to not live but to prosper a true one everything is a lie

Kill your mom for getting a divorce instead. You'll feel far better.

I went on them for a period of about 6 months and they fucked me mentally, also couldn't get it up, and when i could get it up couldn't cum. Also gave me the shakes pretty bad not long after taking my dose

prozac btw, i just came off them and deal with my depression since i didn't like what they made me

I have found no negitive side effects except stupid people hate me for smokimg it a temporary cure for depression but shrooms work way beter and you dant have to do them all the time just onece every 3 monthes

It made me tired and, perhaps, slightly less suicidal. I think I'm having memory problems now too. 4/10

You can't even type or spell properly you're fucked in the head mate

Guys im 22 no gf or shit. Not virgin because my friend made me go to a hooker. Think about suicide often as fuck, dropped college, feel lonely as fuck. Social anxiety and shit.

Went to er for a "thorbosis(dvt)" that disappeared and to a cardiologist for heart lol

I'm thinking about going to a psychiatrist, I just don't want to call and go. I know o should but damm. It's hard as fuck :(

Im on phone dumb ass

A phone... also i am phone

So am I friend-o but I can still poke the tiny backspace button. Just say no.

You can still type properly on a phone you're just a lazy idiot

Fine keep doing wat the world tells you is good for you and be a fag

Not when the thing is old and retared i dont have the time to keep correcting my phone

Oh shit waddup...

If this isn't some elaborate ruse by pharmaceutical companies to drain your bank accounts via made up conditions then I'd guess science is performing miracles in "discovering" these hidden ailments that have plagued humanity undetected since the beginning of time. Kudos...
Getting people, perfectly healthy and normal people into believing there's something wrong with them is no easy task...it takes alot of hard work and research. Planning and misinformation to help people understand their inadequacy via false diagnosis and proper treatment. Programming and tweaking the populace to accept the idea of magic pills...I mean medication.

Go Pfizer...

Is your tinfoil hat on too tight again?

Being** a fag

Shill pharmaceuticals are poision means poision in greek

I'm on zoloft, been on it for three months now and nothing's happened except my dreams have gotten REALLY vivid.

Lol.. see what i mean

A few anons here have mentioned the struggle to cum on SSRIs. It sucks to be horny and no cum. Then when you do it's not even that good.

weed is actually a major contributor to depression for a lot of people.

not for everyone ofcourse

And not being able to use alcohol

I have heard that but the study i remember hearing that from was on teens and studys are mostly fake if antidepressants where not given to you buy your doctor you could come to the same conclusions about them because deressed people use them lol

It might take some time to find the right one OP.

Not all anti depressants work for everybody. So don't get yourself down if the first one they prescribe you doesn't make a difference.

Just keep searching.

From my personal experience though, every anti depressant turned me into a zombie. Yes, I wasn't depressed anymore, but I also wasn't happy. I didn't feel shit. I don't take them anymore.

You forgot a question mark.

it is true for me too, i smoke weed every day but it makes me really anxious and a social retard around people. i smoke weed all day because i have no social life. its all a stupid circle created by my own poor choices though :D

You posts are starting to become funny and that is not my phone its me i dont use punctuation on the internet not goimg to argue if thats good or bad

I recently gave up weed. Felt like shit for a few weeks, anxiety depression etc. but it's smooth sailing now.

I a depressed and smoke weed too, I wouldnt say there is no correlation, but I have been tapering down to maybe one small bowl at night only and have been feeling bettter

I only get the social retard thing sometimes but im like that anyway and more times than not the weed helps me with people but have stop carring about people the majority are judgmental assholes with low mental functionality i found people with social problems are just smarter then average people

weed is no antidepressant you stupid stoner mong. Go to a weed>alcohol thread and kys afterwards would you?

As i said earlyer its temorary shrooms are the cure but hard to find

i never tried shrooms before. Id like to try it soon though... dunno if i start with them or lsd right away. Im just a little scared that ill have a horrortrip when my mood is already fucked up anyway.

>Or is it just a placebo?
If your doctor is a sadist, a fraud or a addict who needs them for himself you are fucked.

>drops out on engineering school
>blames weed

It's not the weed, you're just stupid.

I've smoked daily since starting college.. Got a masters in engineering from a top 100 school on the planet earth and worked for a few Fortune 500 companies...

Blame your retardedness on something else.

Last time i had them i didnt do enogh to cause a trip just like a gram an a half it compleatly cured my depression i was feeling great was able to find a job and work as hard as i wanted then i got laid off coulnt find another job and im depressed again cant find shrooms so allbi have is weed but it is good wax is better for depression but stoping it is worse

I dont know how this works in your country, but they dont just prescribe you anti-depressants after your first visit to the psych. Also get a combo treatment of pills and CBT(Cognital behavioural therapy) then you will have the best odds to get better. Hope you feel better soon user

Fuck, i mean Cognitive*

Actually alot of people with depression and shizofrenia try to self medicate with weed. So its more like being depressed causes more people to smoke weed, instead of smoking weed causes more people to be depressed.

This is correct

I feel the difference in 15-30 mins. Cital. Works "fully" for about 22 hours and few hours of "going back"

He might be stupid but you are ignorant.