The Witch

It is downright rare to see kino this pure.

Can anyone raise argument to that?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2bzvTp1f_-E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Everything from the casting to the cinematography, to the music.

Relying on the atmosphere to fuck you up instead of scaring your outright.

I am so fucking glad I got to partake in this experience, and we will have a fucking thread about it if I have to samefag all night.

If I had to criticize a little bit, the part at the absolute end where the witches around the campfire flew a little kinda ruined it. As well as did the goat turning into a man, they could have just kept him a goat.

Really? No one wants to talk about The Witch?

Alright, alright, fine, we'll try this some other time :(.

its one in the afternoon user. Nobody wants to talk about horror rn

WOWWWWWW A MOVIE ABOUT HOW BEING A WOMAN IN THAT ERA WAS BASICALLY A SIN DUE TO WOMEN BRINGING OUT SIN IN MEN
WOW LIKE HER BROTHER FELT /LUST/ TOWARDS HER
AND HER MOTHER FELT /WRATH/ TOWARDS HER
ETC ETC ETC
SO DEEP BRO
Nah but really it was a good movie but if you think it deserves more than 3 stars outta 5 then end your life

Yeah, maybe I did time it badly. But when you lock your doors, turn off the lights and watch a genuinely good movie, you'd think someone would want to talk about it.

That being said I don't think many people actually saw it.

What the fuck are you talking about? The movie is more about the frailty of faith and the influence of temptation than anything about genders.

'no'
What do you think gives rise to temptation?
Her brother was tempted to fuck his sister aka he LUSted towards her.
The dad sold his wive's silver cup for greed aka AVARICE which wouldn't have happened if SHE didn't have the item in the first place.
Not to mention the witch being a woman which is a blatant metaphor.
Why are you so stupid?

This is becoming a meme and I don't approve.

What's so meme about it? It's a good movie.

I thought the movie was incredible OP. Fuck the haters. Loved the eerie atmosphere and overall story. Super creepy vibe all throughout the movie that you just don't get with most, if any, horror/scary movies these days. Plus my waifu was lookin nice and good. Hot little puritan ass.

>swn cast a hex on you
;_;

I want to make her impure.

Great taste there user. In movies and in actresses.

Why did Thomasin sign her soul away at the end? Seems sorta out of character for a God-fearing person such as herself.

God Tier movie. Genuinely disturbed me. I saw it drunk in the front row and the cinematography made such an impression on me. 10/10 everyone else get fucked.

Her God had damned her entire family, turned everyone she loved against her, twister her mind and the minds of those around her and left her completely alone to die in the wilderness surrounded by murderous goats and witches.

I can completely understand why the other god who promises her a "delicious" life would seem the better option.

why was her body double like 10 years older than 50 lbs fatter than her?

Watched it last night. Stupid ending. 7/10.

>That fucking first scene with the witch
First time in years I seriously considered shutting off a film because of how unsettling it was.
I'm glad I watched it all, it's one of my favorite horror films now.

They couldn't have her loli-ass waltz around on the silver screen.

They should have cut it 10 seconds before they did.

When she walked towards the fire, and the dancing witches. That should have been the queue to fade to black.

>her
>not him

she's like 21

Did he surrender to the corruption in his final moments?

Finchy was a fucking cuck.

>gets his family exiled because muh pride
>can't grow crops
>can't hunt
>can't even build a barn

I thought the kid did an alright job. He managed to make the old English sound very natural.

Solid acting job and a good cast.

>>can't grow crops
It's likely that Satan/the witch sabotaged their corn.

Hey now, calm your autism:

>placed good traps, the trap caught them a fucking sweet rabbit later
>tried to hunt, but the prey was some sort of devil-creature
>did good work at the crops, but pestilence took them
>did everything in his power to take care of his senpai
>never a shortage on firewood

Literally 10/10 provider.

Just watched it again and it was still good. I'm surprised I haven't seen much webms from it.

Webms don't do it justice. It needs pacing and time to grow on you in that fucked up way.

Showing a clip won't do it.

There's still some really good scenes that would fit in some. I'm about to make some.

I thought the whole using a playboy model instead of someone who would have fit those standards of beauty was a weird choice, but I didn't actually have a problem with the things you brought up. Made the story feel complete, and I love that they took it the extra step to really differentiate it from modern horror and keep it faithful to the folk tale vibe.

Folk tales used to be as viscerally effective as this, good to see some people hearkening back.

Post 'em up when you're done. I'd love to see them!

One thing this movie taught me: people were insanely fixated on sin back in the day.

Seeing how devout these people were almost makes me wish God was real.

I agree. What plaboy model though? The young witch?

Folklore is such spooky territory that I'm surprised modern horror doesn't go there for inspiration more often.

In my country there is a tale about a fat woman who lives in the swamp and can only be seen when your eyes are closed.

You in this moment.

True and proper kįnography. Measured, tense, well acted, perfect score, terrific period design, delightful payoff at the end.

That fucking score made me solid.

It sounded like someone was raping the instruments, but in a good way, like they were sort of into it and didn't know whether to scream or moan.

this

>suggest it to friend with newborn
>oh shit, wait

>when the goat responds to her

What the fuck happened to the twins?

I think Thomasin was holding their clothes at some point after they vanished so I guess they were whisked away by the witch or something like that.

>>when the goat responds to her

One of the single most satisfying moments in recent cinema.

They got eaten. I'm surprised at the amount of confusion surrounding this even though there is room for interpretation.

>when that witch in the barn laughed

[X] SPOOKY
[ ] NOT SPOOKY

How can you so calmly conclude this?

>the witch has never been shown to eat a kid
>the witch was way more into the goat than the kids when she arrived
>there is no establishing shot of half-eaten children and she left out the biggest child of them all for no reason

I see plenty room for doubt.

>In my country there is a tale about a fat woman who lives in the swamp and can only be seen when your eyes are closed.

That's terrifying. What country are you from?

Like I said there's obviously room for interpretation, but if you follow the sequence of events in the barn the Witch is eating one of the goats, she turns around, they scream, and then there are more sounds that clearly sounded like more munching to me. I haven't rewatched the scene yet and it's strange that Thomasin is left unharmed but my immediate reaction was they got eaten. It fits with some of the folklore of witches too.

Could have been that they wanted Thomasin all along so they didn't harm her.

>Literally 10/10 provider.

Yeah maybe if you like eating wood faget

What other move did she have? Even if she could make it back to town, when they found out what had happened at the farm she would have been burned as a witch anyway, and in the unlikely event that they didn't she has no money, no family, no food, nothing.

any screens of dat ass

scene webm requests?

It's one of the only scenes that stuck out and made me question Thomasin's innocence. The thought that she was somehow responsible for all of the deaths didn't seriously cross my mind while I was watching even though it fits as a valid interpretation in hindsight (I disagree with it still though).

I'm trying to make some but Webm For Retards keeps throwing an error saying no main startcode. I had it before but it fixed itself so I have no idea how to fix it.

Ur mum likes to eat wood.

I think that the witch was trying to isolate Thomasin so they could recruit her into her coven. Thats why the witch didn't kill her.

>ANOTHER fucking VVitch shill thread

I am intentionally going to AVOID this film thanks to these threads, and will advise everyone I know to do the same

dat ass

Good job ignoring a movie because people are talking about it.

>still thinking there was a witch/satan

Thomasin did it all. She wanted to return to civilization. She confesses in the first 10 minutes of the film.

"The Witch," a period drama/horror film by first-time writer/director Robert Eggers, tellingly advertises itself as "a New England folktale" instead of a fairy tale. Fairy tales are, at heart, parables that prescribe moral values. "The Witch," a feminist narrative that focuses on an American colonial family as they undergo what seems to be an otherworldly curse, is more like a sermon. Sermons pose questions that use pointedly allegorical symbols to make us reconsider our lives, just as one character uses the Book of Job to understand her role in her family (more on Job shortly). But "The Witch" is not a morality play in a traditional sense. It's an ensemble drama about a faithless family on the verge of self-destruction. And it is about women, and the patriarchal stresses that lead to their disenfranchisement.

Good. One less retard running back spouting "7/10 not scarry enuff gaiis!!"

That's a possibility although I'd say Black Phillip was probably pulling the strings instead of the witch. Obviously there was some mind manipulation going on in the movie but it's very strange that the witch attacked them and the next time we see Thomasin she's seemingly passed out and no worse for wear.

It was the built in subtitles causing the issue. Here's one.

>The vv itch
>THE VEE VEE ITCH

BRAVO HACKSON

Although there was thought put into that idea the movie is much more powerful and allegorical if you take it at relative face value.

Chopped wood like a motherfucker though

I really liked it. there was a lot of hype on tv so I honestly expected more. but still, great film. everything from the music, dialogue, to the atmosphere and plot was great.
the only problem I had with it (unlike more horror films) is that I think the buildup should have been longer. I feel like the buildup was the best part and it would have been better if it lasted longer.

it's cool

youtube.com/watch?v=2bzvTp1f_-E

I loved the movie as well. Are there any more time period movies like this, especially with the cinematography and eye for historic detail?

Doesn't have to be horror.

>"If we wanted him to be doing something violent, he wanted to go to sleep. If he was supposed to be standing still, he was running around like a madman," Eggers recalls. He credits Ford, the film's editor, with piecing together whatever usable footage they had into the acclaimed performance.

>No one in the cast had a rougher time with Charlie than Ralph Ineson. A veteran British actor with a bassy voice and large, aristocratic features, Ineson, 46, had to drop 30 pounds to play the family patriarch, a starving farmer. That left him at a distinct disadvantage when he was called upon to wrestle Black Phillip, as dictated by several scenes in the script.

>"I didn't have a lot of gas in the tank, really," Ineson says of sparring with the beast, who weighed about 50 pounds more than him. "He was horrible. Really, really horrible. From the moment we set eyes on each other it was just kind of hate at first sight. He had two modes: chilling out and doing nothing, or attacking me."

>On the fourth day of filming, Charlie rammed his serrated horns into Ineson's ribs, dislodging a tendon. "Everything hurt," Inerson recalls. "I spent the rest of the five-week shoot on painkillers."

You've seen The New World?

Fucking niggers

This entire scene is fantastic but it won't fit into a single webm.

I wonder if that was an actual vision.

Or if it was some spell by the witch to mock them.

Did he cum before he died?

It's difficult to know if the Witch cursed Black Philip so it might be a vessel for the Devil, or if the Devil was in Black Philip all along.

Either Thomasin did all that stuff by herself without her knowing/while cursed, or The Witch isolated her to recruit her into the Coven.

I'd prefer the last option.

Out of all the horrific shit in the movie that's the scene that freaked me out the most and was the hardest to shake. That kid's performance was incredible.

Man that scene was amazing. The kid did a great job as well.

The idea that they were specifically trying to recruit Thomasin all along doesn't really hold water for me, it kind of detracts from the film's message.

>The New World

Nope, is it any good?

>horror
It's a period drama, nothing about this movie is scary

Who are you trying to impress? An old lady who mashes babies into paste and rubs them all over her body doesn't unnerve you in any way?

Very yes, beautiful, mellow, naturalistic take on the "Pocahontas" story.

How so?

its the vvitch u idiots
fucken goblins

The two v's are just a stylization of the title based on around the time this movie takes placed w being a somewhat new letter and vv still being used to write it like that.

The director himself said it was meant to be ambiguous.

Not in a "muh ambiguity" kinda way, but he thought the nature of what the moment called for forces it to be ambiguous. Most of Caleb's ecstacy was borrowed from a diary entry of John Winthrop, an early American Puritan. Some of HIS language, in turn, is borrowed from the Song of Solomon.

That kind of sexual language to talk about the embrace of salvation has a pedigree, in other words. But, of course, given the context that WE know (his bewitchment and maybe seduction) and the other characters know (this is a young man on the cusp of sexual maturity), that sexual language is necessarily ambiguous. It's IMPOSSIBLE to tell the difference between the ecstasy of salvation and a sexualized mockery. Or just the fevered rant of a young man who's been oogling his sister. There's also that third option.

I personally felt in the moment that it was a mockery, given the context, but after the first shock of it wore off, I decided that I thought it was salvation.

I think the movie's all about faith and responding to evil that's outside one's comprehension. Putting a relatively simple reason on why they were being tormented diminishes both the struggles the family were all going through on an individual basis and Thomasin's decision to embrace the darkness at the end. I think it's messier than the forces of evil were just trying to get her all along.

Not to mention the fact that the very ambiguity plays a role in the ongoing collapse of the family. Interesting that the mother is convinced it was the mockery of witchcraft but the father insists it was salvation a la:

pleb-tier garbage

Plebs don't like it though. Look at the audience rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Or the stories of the reactions of people in the theatre.

I am talking about Sup Forums plebs, I wouldn't know about others because I come to Sup Forums only.

I don't know how you could think it was salvation, I thought he was clearly not speaking his own words and that they were meant to be the ultimate perversion of the idea of going to heaven. I think the third option holds more weight than actual salvation.