Hey Sup Forums

Hey Sup Forums

Sciencefags, please help

If water (H2O) contains oxygen, why can't humans breathe underwater?

pic somewhat related

That covalent bond got a nice ass

CAUSE WE DONT HAVE GILLS YOU IDIOT!

You don't breathe oxygen, but dioxygen, it's just not the same molecule.

Humans cannot breathe underwater because our lungs do not have enough surface area to absorb enough oxygen from water, and the lining in our lungs is adapted to handle air rather than water. However, there have been experiments with humans breathing other liquids, like fluorocarbons. Fluorocarbons can dissolve enough oxygen and our lungs can draw the oxygen out.

faggot

Agreed

Do you mean the O2 solved in Water?

too much hydrogen. you would suffocate because there isn't enough oxygen per breathing molecule.

I dont know what these fags are talking about... you CAN breathe underwater, I do it all the time.

Water is liquid and can't be inhaled like a gas.

Nigga thats called drowning. Your pesky Lunge can't breal Water into hydrogen and oxygen

because the chemical properties have changed. its no longer O2. its H2O and hence the molecule behaves differently, and we cant extract the oxygen from it.

>Nigga thats called drowning. Your pesky Lunge can't breal Water into hydrogen and oxygen
> lunge
> breal
> breathing water into hydrogen and oxygen

Its simple, human lungs are designed to expel gas and not liquid.

freeing the oxygen from water takes a lot of energy. We use oxygen to release the energy from sugar. It would be counter productive.

>Lunge = lungs
>breal = break
You are more cancer than my autokorrekt

You have little... (let's call them bubbles) as the smallest section in your lungs. In these bubbles gas (O2, N2, CO, CO2 and so on) is bond to the iron(III) in your red blood cells, the exact chemical/biological reaction is too complicated to explain here. The oxygen in H2O is Bond as a molecule with two Hydrogen Atoms, therefore it is not avaliable to your primary breathing cycle, allthough you constantly breed out water (as a side product of you breathing)
That is not correct: you can inhale water, as inhaling is merely a mechanical process

I shouldn't even be responding to this stupid thread. Think about how many other molecules have fucking oxygen in them. You can't survive on pure carbon dioxide just like you can't survive in pure gaseous H20. Nitrous oxide knocks you out and sulfur dioxide will kill you.

Surface area, and not the right type of lungs.

NO, NO2, N2O will kill you, too

Not to mention that pure gaseous H2O--commonly known as "steam"--is a little too hot to breathe safely. Scalded lungs anyone?

Fair. OP's question is just ignorant as fuck.

>experiments with humans breathing other liquids
What would be application of such a thing?

Cause were not fish...

We don't breath H20 because lungs aren't designed for it, it has little surface area for the oxygen in water. Plus, water is heavier which would make it harder to move it around than air. Fish don't even breathe water, they breathe the dissolved O2 in the water.

Meh, there is still alot of gaseous H2O in the air, otherwhise you would run dry pretty fast
>dusty lungs anyone?

I would argue that it is a mechanical issue first before anything else.

Aint gaseous H2O is still liquid solved in air

Same reason we can't inhale Chlorine. eat sodium and poop salt

Medicinal mostly bet

Evangelion

deep diving

Properies of chemical compounds have nothing to do with the molecules involved. For example, table salt, which isn't hazardous in any way is made of two poisonous chemicals.

Stale pasta is stale

we need elemental oxygen because the oxygen from water is an ion
we need the elemental oxygen to complex to haemoglobin and the oxygen in water wont do that

the why of every of my statements would take way to long to answer so just take it that way

9000000 KÏĘÏKß

No, it is not. H2O in oir everyday breathing air or "air humidity" as it is falsely called is gaseous H2O. You cannot "dissolve" a liquid in gas, it is either gaseous or liquid, but you all know a state where water is liquid but still dispersed in the air: fog

extremely deep diving.

The liquid in the lungs instead of air helps to pressurize the inside of the body so you don't implode.

It is not an ion it only has a partial (not a full) negative charge

Deep sea diving. Liquids do not compress the way gas does, so you can go much deeper / survive higher pressures when your lungs are full of liquid and cannot (as easily) colaspe

Your body has oxygen as well, why would you even need more? Fucking retard.

the O in H20 doesnt only have a partial negative charge. partial negative would be like the carbon in MeBr or something.
the oxygen in water has a full blown negative charge (in OH-) i mean

god tier reply

because it has an additional elektron from the H+

That's bañañas¡¡¡¡ we need to get the boffins on this right now, we need to make this happen, so we can make deep sea diving great again

Water fucks your lungs up, basically dilutes the pulmonary surfactant inside the alveoli + salt water damages the alveolar-capillary membrane

Salt is Sodium and Chlorine, two poisonous things. Why can we eat salt then without being poisoned?

same thing why water isnt poisonous (in normal quantities) but pure oxygen and pure hydrogen are

It's Na+ and Cl- major difference dude

Fuck the deep sea.
It's cold, dark, lonely and terrifying.

Hell isn't a place full of fire and brimstone. Fire is warm and comforting.

Hell is the deep ocean, full of monstrous creatures that look like the twisted faces and souls of dead sailors.

ITT: listened in class

Hydrogen is not posionous, it's quite inert, like elemental nitrogen, the thing is that you will suffocate at some stage. Oxygen is not poisionus either but it fucks up your pH-values in your blood if you are overdosed therefore leading to massive contractions, that's what happens to you if you hyperventilate

Calm down prick you have a harpoon gun, headlights, an underwater Kawasaki and a rope tied to you

Made me google but still didn't find why liquid in lungs is needed for?
Care to explain?

Checked

Sup Forums gonna Sup Forums

Nope, fuck that.

Still not worth it. Not for me.

well ph value in blood is defined by co2 in it, more specifically the bicarb-buffer and hyperventilating get's rid of a lot of that so ph rises because there is less bicarb
and h2 isnt nearly as inert as n2
it's actually a very potent reducer (givin some catalysts)

but yes, not really poisonous but you know what i mean

Shame we can't :/

What if I tell you that picture is 99.9999% void?

so like kim kardashian then

It's a medium for brainwaves and nerve impulses used to operate Eva's.

>>Can also be used in cryostasis or to counter the G-force during fast acceleration in space.

Do you also eat the can that contains tuna?

Yeah, you are right. I just had to reread Wikipedia to see my errors.

The first part is true, but I was too lazy to type that as I did not think alot of people would understand, but nice to see some knowlege here. The second part is kinda right: speaking in absolute terms: yes speaking in relative terms: h2 only having a single bond in comparison to the N2-triple bond with much higher energy levels the H2 is as inert as N2

Because its bound to two hydrogen atoms, we cant breath it becaus compound have differenet physical propeties like for example isotope of hydrogen, tritium is radioactive unlike hydrogen

H2O is not exempt from rule 34

You do realize it just mean we need two H2O molecules because monoatomic oxygen is too reactive to exist naturally, it would bind to others fast, so rather thats not the problem on it, but rather breakimg the bonds in H20 molecule

Wikipedia can be tricky, when it comes down to facts. Eg: gold is still described as diamagnetic allthough several studies with gold particles etc show it being paramagnetic

well that's a strange comparison but yeah, if you wanna see it that way then h2 is even more inert than n2

All steam accounts are actually gaseous

fake and gay

Sorry for typos, phonr screens are shit to write with

Come on, it'd be like VR but IRL

Physical chemistry likes to see things in relative numbers. And if those numbers get too big, we just smack a log() on it

Kek