Turks

Do average Turks take pride in their partial Byzantine heritage?

Or would that only be a minority sentiment among wealthy, secular Turks?

No, like every muslims people, they completly forgot other things existed before Islam.

Pretty much this desu. Some Bosniaks literally ignore their Slavic history. Those who have managed to gather ancestry tree,when you ask them to list their ancestors they list from the first one who converted to islam and won't list others before them.

No they don't otherwise it would be admitting that they don't have any cultural heritage worth being proud of
>The """""""turkic""""""" coffee originates from byzantium
>"""""""Their""""""" flag was the flag of Constantinople since 330 and even before it was only a crescent the star was added to represent Panagia

rich and secular turks are the most nationalist ones tb.h. since atatürk, secularism is highly connected with nationalism in people's minds
remember, it was western turks who kicked greeks out of anatolia

>Do average Turks take pride in their partial Byzantine heritage?

As a almanci i have not much to say. But no, i see byzantines more like free sex slaves and child soldiers for the ottoman sultans.

nah byzantines are seen as opressors of turks before we rose up and built ottoman empire

turks in turkey take the following states as their ancestors;
ottoman empire

>>"""""""Their""""""" flag was the flag of Constantinople since 330 and even before it was only a crescent the star was added to represent Panagia

Thats bullshit though. Crescent star comes from Syria in 7th century.

>turks
>native anatolians
i don't even

Back to your dönershop kanacke.

Ever travelled to anatolia?

>Flag

Oh you are probably another dönerci. Ein dönner mit scharf bitte.

make that one more lad

I'm secular and the only thing I take pride on is being Turkish

Who cares. Coffee itself is an Arab creation.

genetics tests suggest that turks are mostly anatolian with iranic/caucasian/turkic mixed in

nope

Byzantine empire is widely hated here.

Turks are cancer.

Who wants to hear stories of war crimes Turks did when they invaded us in 1974?

All turks go to hell.

>Do average Turks take pride in their partial Byzantine heritage?
no
>Or would that only be a minority sentiment among wealthy, secular Turks?
no

Turks think they are related to some ugly sandgooks on the other side of the planet.

Me

But factually a fair % of your lineage would be Byzantine.

This can be broken down further - surely the Byzantines were not just Greek, but they Hellenised parts of the existing West Anatolian population.

The reason I posed the question is that there's an implication of Byzantine heritage when Turkish video/written presentations talk of a 'Byzantine era' for a particular location, and it's sugggested that the Ottomans saw themselves as partly a continuation of 'Roman rule'.

Obviously I misinterpreted this.

>take pride in their partial Byzantine heritage?
Yeah, and I take pride that my father's uncle's wife's second cousin had a leprosy.