Someone still believing in these shitty books

someone still believing in these shitty books.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zzIynnZTia0
youtube.com/watch?v=BrPxWg8JFlg
ancient-hebrew.org/language_poetry.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it was actually aliens with a large DNA bank

Says the faggot who barely spent 20 years on Earth.

Trust me

Former christian here, ya it is stupid to still be believing in religion. The bible says stuff like "four corners of the earth" even though we know the earth is round and not flat. That right there is what eventually made me into an agnostic.

You guys who didn't exist 100 years ago know more than the billions of years prior to your existence.

Impressive.

Hey OP, here's a film you'd like, it's a good movie, i give you my word for it:

youtube.com/watch?v=zzIynnZTia0

Thanks to the research of scientists, yes.

How do u know anything about even 20000 years ago?

Nothing from then exists now.

How do you know anything other than what is told to you?

At least the bible let's you test what it is saying.

shit

What do billions of years know? Holy fuck.
Here's what we do know:
People don't live to 600 years old, even with the healthiest of diets and care.
You couldn't build a ship out of wood large enough to hold 2 of every species on the planet plus the food and equipment needed to keep them alive for 40 days and nights.
The people who wrote the Bible were more interested in good storytelling that fucking scientific or historical accuracy. Deal with it.

/thread

I mean if you're going to argue with science..it's been proven with the water canopy providing that rich of oxygen.. that age is possible. If you're going to argue science at least know the science of both sides.

Now they dont live that long .

God fed the Israeli test for 40 years on mana from the sky, jesus fed 5000 on 5 loves and two fishes.

God made the universe but couldn't make a boat with animals survive 40 days.

Lol watever

/thread

What I do know is the stuff in the bible contains tons of "science" facts that they had know way of knowing, but it's true.

Like rocks and humans containing the same basic building blocks of life.

"God" is a creation of man.

just watch my matches

No he's not.

Checkmate

?????
Sumerfag?

youtube.com/watch?v=BrPxWg8JFlg

Post was so gold

God didn't build the ark, dumbass. He told Noah to build it.

Of course, that's the story, written by humans more than 1500 years ago. You seem to think stories written in ancient times are somehow more factual than observations recorded in modern times?
If someone found a text written 1500 years ago that said stabbing yourself in the eye is good for your eyesight, you'd consider it more accurate that a medical journal written today that said the opposite?
And you wonder why people consider those who literally interpret the Bible idiots?

You're an absolute fucking moron. Please do not propagate your retarded genes.

Rocks and humans contain the same building blocks of life? Do tell.
Do you mean atoms? Are you sure the atomic compositions of rocks and humans are basically the same?

Kek

Im on tonight and my trips don't lie and im startin' to feel its right

Trips says truth.

Lol obvious troll. But in case of sincerity, we know how old the earth is via multiple testing processes. You can tell the rate that the stars are going and you can tell that they are all moving from a specific point (the theorized point of the Big Bang). Moving at their current speeds, they all would've been at that point around 13 billion years ago. We also have dating of carbon and other elements as well that confirm the age of each other. Also knowing how the fossilizing process works, that confirms the earth is definantly older than 6000 years. I'm an amatuer fossil hunter myself. Never before have I found an organism that was "out of place" on the geologic timescale. I go fossil hunting around Early Cretaceous limestone. And every organism that I found is known to have lived in the Early Creaceous. If everything was made within six days and the flood happened, then we would see all the different types of animals together. But we don't, we see them perfectly separated by rock layers.

It's just a figure of speech, dude. Remember it's been translated to Latin before it was even translated to English.

Trying to read it literally in English is just retarded. That doesn't mean there's not lot of good stuff in there.

You could write a beautifully elegant metaphor translate it just once or twice and it turns into an incoherent rambling mess. You have to look at it from the point of view of the people writing it originally, which is impossible to do if you're reading a translation's translation.

Separating wheat from the chaff, building your house on stone instead of sand, etc. etc. You might think it's talking about gardening and architecture, but there's a lot more to it than that. common figures of speech at that time no longer even exist now.

This user understands.

Taking bible science seriously in the modern world says a lot more about your questionable mental state then your morality.

The parables of Jesus were intentional metaphors though. The creation story and the four corners of the earth were meant to be taken literally. The problem of figures of speech in the bible then means that everything in the bible is up to interpretation. I can then say that Jesus was not sinless or born to a virgin, because that's how I interpret it.

>2016
>criticizing a book of poetry for not being literal
mfw

And billions of insects and trillions of plants.

>Poetry
Kek

The bible isn't meant to be taken literally. You must read it in a spiritual way to understand it. The more you suffer in your life and the more it starts to make sense.

Lol foreal. I found the bible to be quite boring.

hey guys, lord of the rings must have been real! It's on paper and is a book!

Words that are susceptible to multiple, divergent interpretations are worthless; you are putting your faith in the person interpreting them, not the words themselves.

>The creation story and the four corners of the earth were meant to be taken literally.

Says who? Your southern baptist pastor? No, dude, his opinion is not the only one, and frankly, it seems clear it's an absurd approach to something that's been so heavily translated from another translation 400 years ago.

>up for interpretation

That's exactly the case, It is quite obviously up for interpretation, because that's exactly what you are doing when you say it is or is not to be taken literally. That's just your opinion of it, or his, for that matter.

But coming up with some absurd shit that doesn't follow logically just means you're imaginative, not right. A lot of shit is obvious. We still use a rectangular map to show a globular world, don't we? We still use East and West as absolutes even though it's only relative, and even they don't make sense in places close to the poles.

Honestly, dude, you have to think outside the box.

ancient-hebrew.org/language_poetry.html

What are some words that are not susceptible to divergent interpretations?

He's saying you have to look past the words to the meaning behind them. As in, you can't rely on a literal translation, when even the literal meaning, literally changes over the millennia and countless different cultural vantage points.

If someone today could pull twinkles out of thin air, someone would say it was bs 1500 years from now

I used to be an edgy fucker like op but after being through some shit I found the church and no lie it made me feel at peace. I don't know how to explain it but I felt relaxed and well. I'm not the type to go every Sunday but man there's more to this than atheists like to admit, of that I'm sure.

I'll use as much proof as you did.
>Now they dont live that long .
And they never did
>God fed the Israeli test for 40 years on mana from the sky, jesus fed 5000 on 5 loves and two fishes.
No he didn't.
>God made the universe
No he didn't

>It's just a figure of speech, dude
What about the unicorns and dragons?

You can't pull that NIV shit after a post like yours, because it was native Hebrew speakers that chose "monokeros" as the translation for their own word. Not to mention the dragon with seven heads and ten horns. I bet you'll say that's a metaphor, too.

How can you be so sure that the four corners of the earth, dragons, and unicorns aren't literal but the water-to-wine and feeding a thousand people with six fish is literal?

Why is the book even slightly unclear to begin with? Wasn't it commissioned by a perfect being? Did he fail to communicate the message properly? Did he fail to find an adequate scribe? If he failed at either of these things, he's not very omnipotent, is he? Nevermind the fact that the book says that GOD couldn't defeat that one army because they had iron chariots...

You mean to tell me that there's light everywhere that we can't see, that exists always and even constantly penetrates every part of our bodies with its energy, but we can't see, feel taste or sense it in any way? Must be a lunatic, right? Better send them to the insane asylum?!

*Written on a wireless tablet, from the middle of nowhere" - user

Guys, there's a lot more than we don't know, than what we have ever known. And the more we learn the more we find that there is more to learn.

/Thread

Because it would be.....because they can't. Why is this a difficult concept to grasp?

Most of the storiew in the old testament are allegories. just pointing that out

The car is red.

If someone today could pull twinkles (?) out of thin air, others would either verify it or debunk it.
If someone wrote on their webpage that they just met a guy who can pull twinkles (?) out of thin air, it wouldn't take 1500 seconds for someone to call bs.

"The Vatican Bank, which has about $8 billion in assets, has often been at the center of scandal and corruption since it was founded in 1942. Pope Benedict began the process of cleaning the bank up, and Francis has continued that work."

CNN.com>money>2015/9/24>news

Apparently...business is good.

Amen.

> water-to-wine and feeding a thousand people with six fish is literal?

Watch with the strawman shit, bro, I'm not your pastor. It's all open to translation, because nobody is alive now that was there to see it and remember what happened.

>reading the rest of your shit

Dude, you need to wake clean the fuck up, man. Snap out of it. You obviously have only been exposed to some bullshit protestant simulacrum of Christianity.

Then they're sinners and should repent so they don't burn in hell rather safe then sorry for me considering its not that hard to just pray every once and a while and accept a man who lived a pretty loving life as my savior so if there is an after life I'm in the good one

And you are saying that the people who wrote the Bible know more about the world around us than we do today? So we are actually losing knowledge?

What's a car? Was it a small car? How could he fit everyone into it? Did it have a big engine? And what shade of red? What if you're color blind?

Please list the stories that are just allegories and which ones are literal descriptions of events that happened.

You are not interpreting; you are asking for more information.
What people who claim to "interpret" the Bible do is take a statement like "the car is red" and conclude that it means you should drive fast.
The problem you are having is that the statement, "the car is red" is not subject to multiple, divergent interpretations.

> we

You need to check yourself kid. You're not some telepathic symbiotic in the New World order. You have probably contributed nothing to the world's technological advance, so watch it. There's intelligence and good advice in the Bible for anyone in all walks of life, and that's a fact.

Don't presume to be a drunkard on the meme that Mankind is omnicient and omnipotent when you don't know shit, and Mankind knows a bit more.

As a matter of objective fact, the Bible has a lot to say that many people have never heard before, and it could help their life tremendously. Does it have to be the Bible or a specific verse? No, It's information, and it exists independently of the Book. It's the Word, and it exists everywhere even if you don't know it.

look up the Olivet discourse: Jesus said that some people living at the time he was there wouldn't die until his second coming. Jesus was undeniably wrong

>not believing in magic means you're immature

>"the car is red" is not subject to multiple, divergent interpretations.

You're wrong, dude, and I already pointed out why. Everything is subject to interpretation to an imaginative mind.

You don't understand most of the technology around you. It might as well be magic. But you believe in it, don't you?

God is a metaphor for the ugliness of man's soul. If man were omnipotent, would he be a just god? No, he'd send plagues and floods and pestilence on the people who had wronged him. God is depicted as petty because man is petty. The modern version of the Hebrew God is Star Trek's Q. Omnipotent, answers to nobody, torments people as he pleases just because he can. And when Q gives Riker omnipotence, he becomes a faggot too, because power corrupts. God isn't an example of what to be. God is a warning against what not to be. Christians have merely twisted it to their own ends to manipulate the gullible.

tl;dr The Old Testament is Jewish satire on the ugliness of man.

The only good book was Psalms. The rest of it is fan fiction trash not to be taken seriously.

Christian
Simply christian
Now i understand your (fucking) logic

>. It's all open to translation
Why is this all-important message from an all-powerful god not perfectly clear?
This is important.

I cannot, in good conscience, swear allegiance to a supposedly all-knowing, all-powerful being who is incapable of giving proper dictation or hiring a competent stenographer. Is God unaware that this message is unclear? Is God unable to clarify this message?

Trololol, how does one test what the bible says? According to my nutjob religious family, you ask good or a preacher what the fuck they think about it. Which means ask yourself or ask someone else who's bullshitting just as much as you are.

>Because I'm retarded it means everyone else is retarded as well
Jesus, even wikipedia can teach you about that shit. You just destroyed your argument

>Why is this all-important message from an all-powerful god not perfectly clear?

Because it was an oral tradition first and foremost. Are you lost to that basic fact? It was a big game of telephone for millennia until some smart guy somewhere decided to write that shit down, and several thousand years later we've lost all the oral traditions and only have these monolithic ancient texts to pull from.

Anyway, if you're going to be calling into question the "perfection" of God, then you need to ask yourself another question. Why would a perfect being create a universe at all?

You haven't done anything except make unsupported statements that you believe are conclusions.
If your statement that "everything is subject to interpretation to an imaginative mind" was valid in any reasonable way, then, for example, we could not have contracts or agreements because everyone would have different "interpretations" of what "I promise to sell you 30 widgets at $30 each, to be delivered at your address by tomorrow" means.
Unfortunately for you, words are not always subject to wild and imaginative interpretations; sometimes their meaning is plain.

No dude, you don't get it. The technology around you is more complicated than you can probably imagine, to leave such an absurdly immature post as your response. Honestly, dude, I'm being for real. You can't imagine the complexity of the machines you rely on daily. By extension, our bodies is orders of magnitude more complex and sophisticated.

Really, I can tell you, you can't imagine it without dwelling on the magnitude of the system. But I don't expect you to take my word for it. Many people die blind and deaf to God.

>if you're going to be calling into question the "perfection" of God, then you need to ask yourself another question
Don't change the subject. Tell me why/how God allows this supposedly all-important message, the understanding and acceptance of which is the deciding factor between heven and eternal torture for me, to be patently unclear?

Exactly; we should treat the statements in the Bible exactly as if they are a bunch of stories that were orally passed from one person to another for generations before they were written down by some people and then interpreted and translated a several times over centuries, and never verified by any scientific method.

If you don't understand that people abuse the spirit of the law on the regular, while keeping the letter of the law, then you're not even trying here, dude.

People rationalize and weasel out of everything when there's incentive. The contract says 30 widgets at $30 each right? Well, $30 today might be more or less than yesterday, right? And widgets are not all created equal.

It's really not, and you're assuming a lot about others from your own lack of knowledge. Even if you have a mild interest in technology, it's easy to understand how various hardware and software come together to form the devices we use everyday. I repair electronics for a a living, so I can guarantee I know more than you just by reading your posts, and it's not at all as complicated as you assume. You're just a giant moron.

I don't even want to understand why people argue over this shit in the internet.

Everyone knows that bible is the oldest high fantasy book with pretty good tips on how to live. Anyone who claims that the bible is 100% true is daft and should not be argued with ever about this stuff or anything else.

Baptist right? Or just retarded?

How many fucking times do I have to tell you that you've obviously only been exposed to some half-ass dimwit protestant corruption of Christianity? Give me a break with the straw-man shit, bro. Nobody can know the mind of God.

Wake the fuck up. Or do you prefer to be told what to think?

I waiting outside your house, ready to throw down bra?

Is English your 3rd or 4th language?

>2012+4
>not having a woode boat filled with millions of animals

stay pleb

You are way off. It was 7 pairs of clean animals and 2 pairs of the unclean. So that's 14 of every clean animal and 4 of every unclean. And it rained for 40 days and nights but they were on that boat waaay longer than that, faggot nigger.

Which gives him more credibility than the Bible.

And the flood was the Flood?

You underestimate even the foothills in front of you never imagining what lies beyond sight. It's ok, child. You'll learn soon enough, or not at all.

>technology, which works and can be observed, is the same thing as Biblical magic because I, an autist, do not understand either but choose to believe in both equally
Holy goddamn fuck. That is powerful stupid.

I don't think you know what credibility means.

You are either legitimately this stupid, or you are choosing to not even think. Either way, you'll reap what you sow, and it's of no concern to me, troubled young man.

Okay, but what does that have anything to do with technology? Are you proud of being stupid or something?
>mfw "child"
Even you know you lost the argument

I see you are unable to process the question, or unable to admit that it creates a hole in your circular logic regarding this supposedly perfect being. You're just changing the subject again, your assertion that I've only been exposed to "some half-ass dimwit protestant corruption" has absolutely no bearing on the objective FACT that this document which is suppoesed to be the deliberately-sent WORD OF GOD is full of contradiction and vague maybe-it's-a-metaphor/parable/figure-of-speech.

An intelligent man is more able to verbally convey a concise idea than an idiot is. An all-powerful being should have no trouble presenting his message in a manner that will not be misconstrued. The existence of these various interpretations is inherently incongruous with the assertion that this message originated from an omnipotent and omniscient being, to say nothing of the fact that this situation has been allowed to continue for millenia without redaction/clarification.

Believing in religion is like being a 11+ year old person believing in Santa

Well, slow it down there bucko. First of all, the Old Testament is not the same book as the Bible. The Old Testament was written at a different time, by different people, in a different language, and most importantly it was commissioned by a different person.

The Old Testament (according to the Old Testament) was commissioned by a group of about 100 interstellar beings. The main characters in the book are Adonai, who is called The Lord, Hashem, who did a lot of the telepathy in the book, and Elohim who was kind of the negotiator between the different interstellar beings and humanity. If you read the book in Hebrew, you get the original names intact.

When the book was translated into Latin, a whole bunch of new material called the New Testament was tacked onto it. All the different gods in the Old Testament were censored, and called just "God" in an attempt to turn a polytheistic religion into a monotheistic religion that better suited the Bishop's plans for that generation.

So. Y'know. Why is the message unclear? Because some humans fucked with it to suit their own purposes. But the originators of the Old Testament weren't even gods either--they were very clearly stated as interstellar beings that were using humans as pieces in a cosmic game, each trying to gain the allegiance of various clans in an attempt to unite a single world order. And yeah, it really actually is still going on today. Mind you, I'm not saying there are interstellar beings doing this. Maybe there are maybe there aren't. Irrelevant. I'm just saying, that's what people believe, and they are, today, right now, bombing each other in Syria over this belief.

Do not use contemporary religions as evidence that there is no god, but perhaps let it convince you that if there is one, it sure as hell has nothing to do with any of those contemporary religions.

>pic related, everyone in this thread

Even that is a religious notion..

>thinks magic arks and talking snakes are the same as an iphone
>calls other people stupid