First wave Post-Rock thread

I'm looking for some first wave post-rock, artists like Tortoise, Stereolab, Gastr del Sol and weird stuff like that from the early 90's.. Can Sup Forums recommend me some?

I'm not that interested in the cresdenco-driven stuff that came later.

thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gwa1djNrdd0
youtu.be/TampUTqjfG0
youtu.be/p8cUIDXlS6s
youtu.be/krVKj_YiJms
youtu.be/kVTZ07J511I
youtu.be/01T5JMhvW88
rbt.asia/mu/thread/S69075377#p69075648
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The last 2 Talk Talk albums are all you need. All other post rock is just derivative.

Those are great records. I've already listened to them many times.

here's a chart I have laying around

Slint
Don Caballero
Cul De Sac
Labradford (a bit of heavy ambience and drone in their stuff)
Yume Bitsu (great overlooked band)

only poofs think that

Thanks! Half of these I've never heard about.

i've seen disco inferno posted time and time again, but I've always found it overrated as hell

same thing with Duster - Stratosphere

you are stupid

this is a good list, id add moonshake, gastr del sol and macha tho

Thanks for all the recs so far. Are there any post-rock acts other than Tortoise and Stereolab what have obvious krautrock influences?

*that have

good job on Jackie-O and Cerberus Shoal

>Dissolve
>Hash-Jar Temple
are these even post-rock? that's both reaching

self bump

Does Dirty Three count?

Speaking of post-rock, how would Spiderland be considered post rock?

yes but mind that post-rock is just an umbrella term

Is there anything here similar to Polmo Polpo?

I love Djed on this LP. Is there any bands that make happy post-rock like that? It seems like a lot of post-rock is more on the introspective and serious/sad side. I would like something more... celebratory I guess? Or whimsical?

What wave is this??

stop shilling your album

you cant really define first wave postrock

Stop posting.

Th' Faith Healers, off the top of my head.

Just listen to "Washer" again and the label should make more sense.

Ganger - Hammock Style
Not exactly what you're looking for in the vein of Djed but very upbeat.

Not very well, anyways.

youtu.be/gwa1djNrdd0
youtu.be/TampUTqjfG0
For reference.

youtu.be/p8cUIDXlS6s
youtu.be/krVKj_YiJms
For reference.

Thanks tripfriend

You are welcome, feel free to flag me down if you see me posting and let me know what you thought if you feel so inclined. I'm always happy to have an excuse to listen to / read about / discuss music I enjoy.

What was the name of this album? Image search isn't helpful

I've listened to the two Th Faith Healers songs you've linked and I'm liking them a lot especially the second one. Thanks for the recs.
I've made this thread cause I've been listening a lot of Gastr del Sol, Stereolab and The Radio Dept lately and I really wanted to expand my taste. I love krautrock and the german progressive electronic scene from the 70's so basically I'm sold by anything that kinda reminiscences them.

They had some crossover with the band Quickspace as well. Not really my cup of tea but you might find something you enjoy there.

I have a few things from the list I usually post in these threads to share with you but I need to run to the bank before it closes.

No problem, man. I'll just use RYM to find new stuff.

someone pick one of these for me

Anything similar to Long Fin Killie? It's so tight and springy, most other 1st-wave is slow and quiet and the closest I've found is the math rock influenced stuff, which I can't really dig

i quite enjoy hash jar tempo, what style would you say they are? any similar bands?

RYM hasn't been very helpful to me while searching for post-rock, but I am rather selective with what I listen to so your results may vary.

Seefeel always reminds me of the Berlin School when I listen.
youtu.be/kVTZ07J511I

There's also Circle which is essentially contemporary Krautrock revival.
youtu.be/01T5JMhvW88
I can't speak for the quality of any of their work post-2001, but I haven't heard anything before Prospekt that I intensely disliked.

Here's an archive link to the list I referred to: rbt.asia/mu/thread/S69075377#p69075648

Your preferences seem to have a good deal of overlap with mine so you might find something good.