/lang/ Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!
>Where the fuck is the Turk who usually posts this!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

Other urls found in this thread:

francaisfacile.com/index.php
connectigramme.com/index.htm
verb2verbe.com/francais/default.aspx
la-conjugaison.nouvelobs.com/
linguo.tv/videos
is.Sup
youtu.be/jB8ZY7Aj8A8
youtube.com/watch?v=DeF41_coSX8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

French(extinct, replaced majorly by Arabic)

Appreciate the links lad.
Also here are some personal sources I used for learning french:
>Grammar
francaisfacile.com/index.php
connectigramme.com/index.htm
>verb conjugation
verb2verbe.com/francais/default.aspx
la-conjugaison.nouvelobs.com/
>French vids to practise your listening comprehension
linguo.tv/videos
Although I don't like it, you can supplement with duolingo to learn the most common words.

Spanish

bump

toki

What is up with this new duolingo thing of clubs

What's the use for the Clubs in Duolingo?
Can't find any. None of my friends IRL learn the same things as me.

Keeping up my French and learning a bit more, restoring my Latin, and starting Yiddish.

French
I don't like all the exceptions and irregularities in verb conjugation and adjective/noun masculine/feminine/plural forms. It feels like I have to memorize hundreds of different patterns. But other than that, I think I'm making progress in understanding grammar. I can't wait until I can actually read books or listen to French songs

When was the last time this happened to you, /lang/?

is.Sup Forums.org/wsg/1482937210899.webm

>yet another American learning French
I was maintaining a pace that would bring me to 4000 words by the end of the year for a while but somewhere along the line I messed up and started getting lazy, so I have only reached around 2500 now.

>tfw that happens but then a little later you see the exact thing giving you trouble again and it clicks, leaving you half satisfied and half feeling like an idiot for being so frustrated at something simple

迫人學中
不日洞棟

You'll get used to it, French is pretty logical 2bh. But yeah, memorizing gender pronouns fucking sucks.

On another note, is there any reason to learn the past historic tense, which AFAIK is only used in literature? It's kinda fucking with me cause sometimes I'll read a book and see "fut" (third-person singular past historic form of "être") or something similar but I feel like it'd be useless.

English, Russian and German. I probably like german best because english fucking bores me to death and russian is so incomprehensibly retarded I stopped giving a shit about it a few years ago

Who is this?

Oh yeah, I was learning Korean last year and I advanced faster in there than in russian. Makes you think huh

真的耐人寻味

I've talked with french teachers and they usually say that it's irrelevant/usuless to learn passé simple. Basically you can pretty much understand/presume when it's written and there is no use outside of the classical french literature.
Fun fact: Lebanon has a pretty large francophone community and they use this tense in everyday conversations. Even french people sometimes can't understand them

What the fuck? Why would they do such a thing?

They used to be a french colony. I guess it was at a time where passé simple was still at use and they kept it.

Korean.

몇일 전에 한국친구들이랑 술 많이 마셨어

나 너무 취했으니까 한친구가 비디오 찍었어..나쁜 거 아니였는데 그냥 나 한국어로 얘기해보는거였어 비디오에

그래서 와..취할때 한국어 개못하더라고 발음도 넘 어색하고 말 잘 안나와 이런 생각을 했어 비디오 보면서 ㅎㅎㅎㅎ

아 창피해 ㅎㅎㅎ 한국인들이 다 좋다고 하고 내 발음..

흠...그냥 취해서 그런가봐

desu I'm kind of interested in learning catalan.

reddit.com/r/TokiPona

Why Catalan?

idk famalam, just sort of interesting.

Source?

Arabic. I am so god damn lost

Can you explain why all their text is fixed to the right?

ola
me gust espeña
a te te gust espeña?

Chào
Ai học tiếng Việt?
Can you explain why english is fixed to the left?

s
i

I am a chicano that wants to learn spanish because of family, but I'm so lazy and negative that I'll never be able to learn when I'm in this state. I've "started" learning and stopped so many times. The last time was trying to read the bible with a copy in english and spanish. I didn't even finish reading the first chapter of Genesis. I have a deep insecurity about it.

No idea how ppl do it without going to a Spanish country. Once you do that it's mucho facil though.

good you'll have an easier time paying your jizya tax

>Once you do that it's mucho facil though
I think it's "muy facil"

Well, you can just live in the Southwestern US like I do, plenty of spanish speakers here

You should really have read something good instead of the bible (Genesis is one of the worst stories in that book too).

One time I tried reading Don Quixote in spanish with just a spanish dictionary

Not him, but the Spanish speakers where I live are all maids and gangsters with terrible speaking habits (slang)

Seems like it would be counter productive, Imo

한국어를 얼마나 배웠어? 문법이랑 어휘를 잘 알 보이네

semi annual reminder

You don't like the Russian language?

I guess you don't have any spanish speaking co-workers
It's generally true though that spanish speakers along the border of the US-Mexico line are ghetto
Mexicans that actually live in Mexico like Mexico City and Monterrey are good people

Nah, I like it enough to be studying it.
It's just a pic from a thread some time ago, where we parodied an itchy feet comic.

Are you a bit daft?

Japanese = Perfect
Engrish = still English
French = still Furench
Spanish = still Esupanoru
I wanna learn useless languages, something like croatian,arabic.............

*engrish
*esupanyoru

Surely

Record yourself speaking those languages pls.

How do I maintain motivation to learn Japanese? It's the one I'm the most interested in but I keep thinking about how difficult it is compared to others

If you don't enjoy what you're doing, then move on, OR just take a break, that does help
The brain works on repetition but also novelty, so getting out and then back into something can help you

meet Japanese
most japanese talk slowly so it maybe easier than you think ;D

How to meet Japanese who will speak to someone still learning the language though?

I wanna meet weebs if i live in foreign cunts.
use Meetup

Can anyone clarify that the fastest and best way to learn a language is to find some way to make it fun and enjoyable?
I hate studying and don't want to work hard at anything because I am n33t

Cool. I will try that.
Of course it is.
>clarify
I hope you meant "confirm".

I have never known there was a difference

>Meetup
If you live in bumfuck nowhere, it's all nerds and old white people. Just so everyone knows.

>Clarify
To make clear; to explain further
>Confirm
To make sure of; to remove doubts (wrt. the object)

Eh, still the same word to me, a dictionary is not as important as people make it out to be

youtu.be/jB8ZY7Aj8A8
Is this guy a hack, Sup Forums?

>willful ignorance of vocabulary while posting in a language learning thread

I'm a native english speaker kay, huhuh.. back off buddy

Pretty sure 3 is a fact (that could be wrong)

3 could be either.

Không cần học vì nói sẵn rồi. :^)

>Communist Core in action

youtube.com/watch?v=DeF41_coSX8

toki, jan pi moku soweli o.

What's everyone's new years language resolution?

Able to speak simple Japanese and French. Able to follow dialogue in simple television shows without subtitles. Finish Kanji and acquire ~6000 words in each language.
First year, just started a month ago.

Pass in my DELF exam and start learning another language (Spanish)

What is your method of studying vocabulary?

I'm actually using memrise, and so far it has worked pretty well.
I also like reading, so I write down every word I haven't seen before or that I don't know its exact meaning.

toki, jan pi telo nasa lili o.

Can it be debated? If so, it's not a fact.

Without context it could either be.

Sister took a test and placed first in her grade. Fact.

Just general bragging about her sisters ability. Opinion.

You have to be eighteen to post on this website.

I was trying to learn a third language for a whole week now, more like finding out which I want to learn. (English and German of course being the two I speak already)
I ended up with wanting to learn Swedish. Does anybody here know where and how to start? I never actively tried to learn a language. ENglish was more picking up piece by piece over the course of pretty much my entire childhood + teeens.

OK how am i wrong?

What language should I learn?
I don't know which one to choose. I tried learning Swedish and other Scandinavian languages, but they don't REALLY interest me. I thought about learning another Latin language, but they all sound like Spanish to me (no offense). I have no interest on learning Asian languages also.
Now, I want to learn a Slavic language, but I'm afraid I'll get bored again or that I won't find good entertainment to "consume". Should I learn a Slavic language? Which one? Do (a lot of) people actually produce (good) entertainment in that language?
Sorry to bother you with these questions, but your opinions would really help me out.

>7
>fact

Anyone here play Learn Harigana to Survive? I got it for 3 bucks on steam, even though I have no sincere desire to learn Japanese, I managed to have some fun with it where it was worth what I paid for it.

I feel playing through it then running through the Japanese Duolingo would be pretty good to get you through to conversational level Japanese.

You're in the same boat as me, man.

Hah

If you're in the Americas, learning Spanish is probably your best bet to be honest. I don't care for Spanish but it's definitely the most useful second language in this hemisphere.
It is though, Hans. Sorry we're #1.

>Sorry we're #1.
Were #1, you were

I see, just read your post, I guess it was this one here Anyway, I think you're right, one has to be passionate about learning a language, and Swedish might be the wrong choice for me as well.
Actually what I would like to learn is Persian (Farsi), but learning another alphabet frightens me a little 2bh

S-so i'll j-just wait here until someone wants to learn luxembourgish

Give me an example of it.

ech geing gearen letzeboieg leieren wann ech gelift
it's like a weird medieval version of german with some french and dutch words , it combines the hard parts of all these languages

>Actually what I would like to learn is Persian (Farsi), but learning another alphabet frightens me a little 2bh
If you're really into it, then you're probably going to overcome this. If you're not, then probably you're going to get bored and stop learning it (like happened to me).
Just give it a try... maybe It'll work out for out.

for you*

Again gets me to the point where I have no idea where and how to start

if you are larning swedish , start with the alphabet , how swedish people prononounce the different sounds , then start studying some vocabulary and afterwards some regular and modal verbs

I want to learn a new language next year, but I don't know what to study, nor do I have any real motivation to learn anything now.

I want to learn Arabic, but I have no clue where to start.

Also, I want to learn Korean eventually. I have already learned Hangul, but I have no clue where to start with learning words.

Also, I like listening to Dutch Hip Hop, so Dutch seems interesting.

iktf.

Want to learn a bunch of languages but never have the motivation to stick with them more than a couple of months.

Chinese for the characters and a small interest in the history. No interest in visiting the country, the women, or politics

Russian for the politics, history and how it opens up central asia and the Caucasus' (wouldnt mind spending a few years living there either).. Find the language disgusting.

Arabic for the wars, religion and potential employment opportunities in 10+ years time. Disappointing how few people each 'dialect' buys you.

Italian for family. Everything else about the language and country is 'meh'.

what is the best slovene dialect to learn?