What is this Sup Forums I've brushed my teeth 2-3 times a day since I had a crown/root canal a few months ago...

What is this Sup Forums I've brushed my teeth 2-3 times a day since I had a crown/root canal a few months ago, i have throbbing pain throughout my mouth on both side all over, no wisdom teeth removed yet. I'm 21 and pain has been constant for a week or so, getting extremely irritable

how about seeing a dentist?

oh wait i bet you are murican and have to pay for your visit lol. Which you cant afford.

They fucked up your root canal. There is a hole in the wall of the tooth exposed to your gum/jaw, and an abscess is forming within.

Get your ass to the Doc who did the root canal. You're losing bone mass in your jaw.

Source: Literally the same thing happened to me, just had it cleared up. Good luck user.

Forgot to add, the pain is on both sides of your jaw because the nerves mirror each other, believe it or not. The pain on the other side will likely vanish when you get the root canal fixed.

Timeframe?

This, also, an abscess can be very dangerous if left untreated, you can become very sick to the point of it possibly becoming fatal.

Corpsmen here. I work at Dental. If they fucked up your root canal get your ass to the doc ASAP. They kill the nerves in your tooth so you dont feel pain in a root canal. If youre feeling pain and leave it untreated you are gonna get fucked so hard.

I waited about 3 months from date of root canal, thinking I was just being a bitch about normal pain, as I had never had so much as a cavity before this.

Doc took one look, it looked like yours, took 1 x-ray, confirmed it had to come out. Took it out about 3 hours later, did the bone graft at the same time. You don't want to fuck around, wait too long and your options become limited.

So, they will likely extract it immediately, or refer you to someone to do so within the next few days. Sorry to be the bearer of shite news, but, as a positive, it is IMMEDIATELY better after having it drawn. Even the pain of an extraction is a relief.

you've got an infection forming under the crown

it happened to me, I ignored it, got infected and I ended up having to get a second root canal

it also cost me another $1500 because America is the best country on earth

If you have a fever/swelling jaw don't wait around go get it checked out. An infection left untreated can enter the bloodstream and become fatal. Worried me so much but a simple procedure and antiobotics took care of things.

>Source: molar with hole in it for years

Also, gargle some saltwater/brush with sensodyne in the meantime. No baking soda toothpastes.

Got doc to get antibiotics, what's next step?

Yeah man, it is spooky as hell how fast that infection ate through bonemass. The only plus side was that I convinced my daughter that the bone graft(from a cadaver) was going to turn me into a zombie.

Funny as hell. Afterwards. When it WASN'T a problem anymore.

The Doc castigated me a bit for waiting so long.

You have a gum infection. A dentist will give you something penicillin based. I got this when a dentist fucked up my root canal. It kept coming back. It can kill you if untreated

I'd suggest getting it looked at. If it's a 'hot tooth', like the Corpsman up above said, that is, if you are still feeling pain in a tooth with no nerve, that's bad. The infection has changed the pH around it, and that's flat out awful, and may effect how anesthetic works in the area.

Don't sit on it, even if cost is a factor. It's not safe, in a fairly immediate way.

Not hot, or cold sensitivity, just pain

WTF Monica, seek medical attention

Antibiotics kill the infection, but I don't think that will stop it from becoming infected again. You probably want to try to wait it out… but you don't want to find out how bad things can get. Trust me. Whatever your uncomfortable with now isn't half as bad as sitting in the ER room wondering if something you could've fixed in one procedure is going to end up killing you.

Heh, sorry about that.

'Hot Tooth' is a term they use not for temperature sensitivity, but to describe a tooth where the infection has gotten so bad that it can stop anesthetic from working at all. The bacteria...well...eating the area cause the pH around the tooth to become highly acidic, which reduces the effectiveness of numbing agents.

Again, not an issue after pulling, but can make the actual extraction a bit stressful. If you tap the tooth, do you feel pain?

A little bit

What are you waiting on, exactly?

I'm broke and can't afford it

I understand.

If you are in the US, you may be able to go to a dental school, depending on your area. They will do it for a nominal fee, but it will be a med student, not a full on DDS or MD, though they are supervised by one, and they WILL solve your problem.

If you go through an ACA(Obamacare) enrollment, which I highly recommend if you are broke, it will also be covered, though just an extraction, not any implant or cosmetic work afterwards.

If you are under 27, or 26 in some areas, you should be still under your parent's dental insurance, if they have a family plan.

An antibiotic will likely only knock it down while you are taking it, and then when you finish the battery, it will recur.

Not the most positive of news, but hopefully one of those options is not impossible.

No dental insurance, I have health but not dental, health won't cover it

Hm. What state?(I am assuming you are in the US?)