Just got into jazz, so far I like ornette coleman the best. what does Sup Forums think?

just got into jazz, so far I like ornette coleman the best. what does Sup Forums think?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QAvmjazU1sA
youtube.com/watch?v=yQUd4nZ2Krk
youtu.be/cLpgNQFU3Xs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJ3X8vw3Dk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I can't believe I get to see one in the making

hey OP you should listen to Miles Davis and John Coltrane

>what does Sup Forums think?
In my experience? "tfw no gf" or something inane like that.

Oh about jazz? It never thinks about jazz. It's not pop or rock so they're not really interested.

>hears faint utter of the word jazz
I HAVE JUST THE THING
There is a man named Herbie Hancock
Listen to him. Right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=QAvmjazU1sA

>tfw want to get into jazz
>don't own a fedora
life is suffering

this is my favorite album atm
youtube.com/watch?v=yQUd4nZ2Krk

There are a shit ton of little known jazz musicians making music now, find a jazz club near you and listen to that shit live. It's good shit mate. Honestly, the way jazz was meant to be heard. Other than that listen to Sonny Rollins, Thelonius Monk, Coltrane, Miles, Horace Silver, Dexter Gordon, Ellington, Mingus, Bill Evans, Cannonball, Dolphy, Stan Getz, Pharaoh Sanders, Dave Brubeck, Chet Baker, Joe Henderson and Freddie Hubbard to start. Very fundamental, easy listening. Come back once you've exhausted every one's entire discography. Good luck, mate!

Also, you should listen in semi chronological order. It really helps you better understand the evolution of the music. You hear muscians from the 50's play something then in the 60's, into the modal stuff, they use the same licks in very different contexts and with a different approach. Very hip stuff. Starting with Ornette is a pretty shit decision desu senpai, start with earlier stuff.

Oy, don't be smackin' a good genre of music just cause you've got yer head up yer ass. If it wasn't for jazz, how else would we be able to play choice tritone subs and crazy altered scales over a V to a I? jesus christ mate, it's such a varried genre, can't you just give it a chance? Christ...

Well ornette is the best so you can stop now p much

rec me something entry-level then, m8

I gave you a pretty long list, but if I had to name one singe album for entry level it would either be Saxophone Colossus by Sonny Rollins or Sonny Side Up by Dizzy Gillespie and Sonny Rollins and Sonny Stitt. Both start with a very "pop" sounding jazz tune, but the solos are some of the best of the era. They have some more interesting stuff later on, faster tunes and more interesting chord progressions. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis is the definitive jazz album, so I'd rec that, but maybe listen to some other stuff first just so you can REALLY enjoy it when you finally give it a listen. Also, any early Duke Ellington stuff is great. Seeing as it's almost December I'd rec his version of The Nutcracker Suite. But please note this is all "jazz" at it's most original sound, so if you really dig abstract stuff you probably won't like any of this a terrible amount.

many thanks, my friend. will give it a listen.

>find a jazz club near you and listen to that shit live.
Or find a concert hall and catch Wayne Shorter and Dave Holland before they're dead.

>Come back once you've exhausted every one's entire discography
He'll be too old to type by that time.

did u ever listen to a love supreme man?

Fuuuuck man, the day Wayne Shorter passes away will be a sad one indeed. But I've seen Jazz at Lincoln Center and Joe Lovano (who for anyone looking for more free jazz type stuff is a MUST to listen to: youtu.be/cLpgNQFU3Xs and youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJ3X8vw3Dk ) at big theaters and tbqh, the feeling you get being right by the drums, in front of the bells of the horns at the club; that's where the music thrives. You become less a spectator and more a part of the creation. Shouting encouragements at a club (usually) gives power to the soloist, pumps their ego, helps them soar. But at a concert hall, any kind of a noise during a solo results in staring by the squares in attendance. And the band always feels disconnected from the audience. Obviously seeing Wynton live with the big band was a stellar experience, but I honestly would have gotten more out of seeing the famous local guys down at the club. Just my two cents though.

>tfw got into jazz sometime last year
>listened to the classic
>"meh" (mostly cause i can't understand the technicality yet)
>listened to some big band jazz, some 50s and 60s jazz
>"not bad" but still kinda meh
>listened to funk
>hmm i like this
>recently started listening to jazz fusion
>mfw jazz fusion is where its at

Listen to pic related, it's fucking great.

>a love supreme
I'm playing it now! Just to not disappoint you, papa.

ornette coleman is good! you should check out his stuff with pat metheny if you are into that kind of thing i think its pretty cool i guess some people dont like it though so idk worth checking out though

I saw the thumbnail and just knew it would be this song. One of jazz's greatest moments.

Every moment with Hancock is a great moment.

my sister says its super market music

Finished it. Liked it quite a lot.