What's a fun instrument to learn for someone without much spare time for it? I've always thought violins look cool...

What's a fun instrument to learn for someone without much spare time for it? I've always thought violins look cool, but it also seems like they take a lot of commitment to get proficient at.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7QtGOWemQhY
youtube.com/watch?v=Y7FHTELUQ3c
youtube.com/watch?v=2ZxAVUsuE4Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The classics of course: guitar or piano

Everything is hard to get proficient at.
You can play any instrument you want if you play it like shit.

>Everything is hard to get proficient at.
So you're saying every single musical instrument is equally hard to learn?

Drums or just some random percussion instruments

If you like violin you could look into the mandolin

Retard can learn tier:
Acoustic Guitar
Ukulele
Bongos

Babies first instrument:
Electric guitar
Drums
Bass guitar
Keyboards

Hope you have friends tier:
All orchestral instruments

Jazz tier:
Brass

Hard tier:
Classical piano
Classical guitar

That's not what he said. He said that all instruments are difficult to be proficient with, which is true. I took violin for a bit, and is very technical and just getting the posture and holding of the instrument correct is hard as fuck. Plus, you have to rest your head on the damn thing. Also, when you're a beginner, they sound screechy as fuck and annoying. Just play keyboards. They are the most important and universal instrument family, they are simple to pick up, and they have a huge learning curve, so you can improve and stay interested forever.

>That bowhold
>that wrist posture
>That elbow

Piano is best since you can learn how to write music easier on it.

I've taken lesson of classical violin for arounds five years. Just started classical piano, but I'm being self-taught for now.

About violin, I can tell you that it will take a lot of time to get a decent sound of it, and to play anything interesting as well. The learning curve is high at the beginning, but it eases with time.
Piano is the opposite. While you need some serious focus to get the hand coordination right the very few times, going through the very basics can be done without too much work, but the complexity of the musical pieces increases very fast.

Piano pieces are in general considerably more complex than other compositions designed for other instruments. The reasons are obvious.
I've lost count of how many trios dissolved because of how little consideration they had for the pianist.

The elbow looks fine.
The bow hold seems alright too.
The broken wrist is rare these days, but there is a school of violin that teaches to play with a low bow elbow. I think it was fairly common in the French conservatory back in the XIX century. Alard's violin method suggest precisely this.
The bow above the fingerboard doesn't look so right.

What about saxophone?

Get a jew harp

What do you think a saxophone is made out of

Jazz

Wood and wind, of course. Why would it be in the woodwind family if it wasn't made of those materials?

Don't learn to play the violin, learn to play the fiddle.

Synths are fun and somewhat easy to play, it's more about the sound than the technique, but if you actually end up getting invested you'll end up spending lots of money on new toys.

Wikipedia tells me they're the same thing.

kek
ruined joke with explanation please kys yourself

piano or geetar
learn basic music theory while learning both
violin takes a bit more ambition.

Learn the singing saw, its fun and simple-ish to play.

Any thoughts on harmonicas?

It is more about different sytles. Violin is classical, fiddle is folksy (bluegrass, for example).

Although it is the same instrument, the setup is slightly different. For example, fiddles have a flatter bridge to make playing chords easier.

violin
youtube.com/watch?v=7QtGOWemQhY

fiddle
youtube.com/watch?v=Y7FHTELUQ3c

Guitar if you want something versatile and not too expensive to get started on. Piano if you can afford it and can tolerate a higher difficuty. Bass if you want to be useful and get to play with others.

>Piano if you can afford it and can tolerate a higher difficuty.
Digital pianos for beginners are affordable enough, I think.
You don't need a big-ass acoustic piano to begin.

Thanks user, the fiddle looks pretty good. That kind of music is just what I was looking for. I think I'm gonna give it a try.
youtube.com/watch?v=2ZxAVUsuE4Y

True, modern digitals are good and certainly workable, but still pricier than guitars. An entry level acoustic or electric guitar can be had for $300 USD, an entry level digital piano will set you back 500 if you want it to be adequate.

these days, any answer that isn't "electronic keyboard" is retarded. they're easy to play, make learning music theory much simpler, and provide the smoothest transition into musical production once you've reached that level of proficiency.

Violin needs lots of practice for both muscle memory to hit notes accurately and your sense of pitch has to be good to tell how close you are. It's a good second instrument.

There's a limit to what you can do with them but if you get good at it you'll look dapper as fuck wailing on it.

fruity loops

For what purpose you fucking kike? You won't earn money by it anyway

anything wrong about it? mind your own business, kike