Is this the most important alternative rock album of all time? Note that I didn't say best, just most important

Is this the most important alternative rock album of all time? Note that I didn't say best, just most important.

It's the best and most important album in general

What's the difference between 'best' and 'most important'? It seems like there would be a lot of overlapping qualities for the two sections...

>Nevermind.jpg

Ok Computer, No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom, Sneaker Pimps' Becoming X, and the Spice Girls debut album were all released around the same time and signified the bridge between the early mid 90s into the late 90s. Very important record of my youth.

Any justification why?

>most important alternative rock album of all time?
exremely debatable
I'd say Doolittle or one of Pavement's first two albums fits the bill, and those came out earlier than OKC

Why is this album important? I fucking hear that all the time but nobody explains it. Just people like this poster agreeing and not explaining why.

It's up there, but I wouldn't say the most important. One of the ones that paved the way to mainstream consideration, like Doolittle, is probably at the top.

an album could be shit but if its existence means entire kinds of music veering in drastically different directions then it's important
i guess a substitute word could be 'influential'

Ohh...alright, thanks.

Now I'm trying to think of shitty influential albums.

Before OK Computer came out, we were in the Grunge/Brit Pop era. Ok Computer comes out, a wannabe Britpop band, brings in synths and ambient, and POOF we are in the postmodern era. There were no albums like it before.

also to add on to my own post, you could also say Daydream Nation

I honestly think without any grudge that Daydream Nation is more important than OKC

I listened to Radiohead for the first time this week, I thought it was a shittier version of Interpol.

haha faggot

So we can blame OK Computer for how shit everything has become since then?

How exactly were they no albums like it before? And how did its style influence the "postmodern" era?

>There were no albums like it before
have you ever heard of pink floyd? i know they're a bit obscure but

Kid A woud be more important

>Before OK Computer came out, we were in the Grunge/Brit Pop era. Ok Computer comes out, a wannabe Britpop band, brings in synths and ambient, and POOF we are in the postmodern era.
absolute shit uninformed opinion
back to re.ddit with you kiddo

I love this album, but i don't get why people say that it's very important/influential. It's just a great art rock album with a great sound, but nowhere as influential as other important albums in history of music.

>nowhere as influential as other important albums in history of music.
ok computer is literally a mish mash of all the important albums of the 20th century get a grip

Being a teenager when that album came out, I can tell you that I was listening to groups like Foo Fighters, Dave Matthews Band, Collective Soul, Smashing Pumpkins, Oasis, standard Grunge/Post-Grunge stuff. I read in a magazine, I forget the name, it was a video game/electronic music magazine at the time, that were praising OK Computer. I go out to Sam Goody, buy the CD, come home, listen to it. The whole record changed my life. I started listening to Cassius, Aphex Twin, Everything But the Girl (later stage, didn't get into the older stuff until college). I go from being a confused Grunge/Alt-kid wannabe to a rave kid within the year of that album coming out. OK Computer got me into electronic music and it did for a lot of people my age at the time.

You had better taste before OKC

le influendential
le genre mixing
le production considered as important as musical content
le concept balbum elevating rock to '"""""""""art""""""""""
le elecdronic and rock
le babbys first "real" muzac

"Important" is qualitative and therefore extremely hard to answer, because one would have to remember the quality of all the albums it had influenced.

Is "influential" the word you're looking for?

>Doolittle
>important
Maybe to buttrock-listening angsty teens.

>Maybe to buttrock-listening angsty teens.

I'm not sure you really understand the cultural climate of 1989

Dude, OkC has pretty solid musical content and you're strawmanning and you know it

What enlightened projecting.

>buttrock-listening angsty teens
holy shit, could you possibly be more wrong

>saying someone is projecting on the internet in 2016
>being taken seriously

you can only have one captain wow

don't get in fights on the internet. it's not worth it

It is important as a meme album that you have to listen too if you want to get into meme music

Yes.
Yes.

how about this. it was really important to a lot of people. I think many would agree it's the most important album of the 90's, and kid A was the most important album of the 00's.

I think it's safe to say they are the most important band since the beatles.

to all the contrarians thank (you)

>its existence means entire kinds of music veering in drastically different directions then it's important
This isn't caused by shit albums though

This one had more influence IMO

Not that guy but no, it's not that strong musically. If we base the album on anything but production, it isn't that special.

Well, name some albums exactly like it before

>Not that guy but no, it's not that strong musically.
Why not?

>not that strong musically
wut

Imo Manuel Gottsching stomps the shit out of Kraftwerk but I'd have to be insane to argue that he's more important

For better or for worse

This is the most important alt rock album of all time.

lmaoing @ radiohead fans
they influenced like 2 artists lol keep believing their works are important. If you want truly influencial you're looking at Highway 61, VU&N and Trans Europa Express, not Radiohead.

>it was really important to a lot of people
That doesn't make it important at all.
>I think it's safe to say they are the most important band since the beatles.
The most overrated, you mean?

this is a personal thing and has no relevance to OKCs place in history
radiohead is good for getting people into better albums though for sure

hello

Let's hear your reasoning.

I don't think so. It's a highlight of its period which is due to the changing style they took but while I don't know alt.rock especially well I'm certain it wasn't the most important in the field. Immediately I'd ask is Portishead alt.rock?

fuck you all every album you named is literally shit

>what is definitely maybe
>what is nevermind

absolutely douching & radioplebs imo

>Maybe to buttrock-listening angsty teens.
K I L L Y O U R S E L F

S T O P B R E A T H I N G I M M E D I A T E L Y Y O U F A G

Nothing in their discography is like OK Computer. Note, I'm not saying nothing is as good, I'm just saying OK Computer was completely different than anything in its time.

no this is the most shitty album of all time end of the thread you bunch of retards

Doolittle, maybe Surfer Rosa.

I'm inclined to agree. I did like 'electionering' but the rest of it can die in a fire

you must have some crazy shit in your brain instead of neurons

tell that to your virgin penis lmao

omal

>No OP
Pic related is

>radiohead is good for getting people into better albums though for sure
this is a personal thing and has no relevance to OKCs place in history

I don't understand this album

It's not that good, but that I have no problem with, since taste is subjective af. It's the "influential" part that I can't understand. What great bands were influenced by it?

>It's the "influential" part that I can't understand. What great bands were influenced by it?
Well, do you think there's any great bands in the Shoegaze, space rock and noise pop genres?

Sonic Youth and Jesus and Mary Chain are 1000 times better than Radioass

Non sequitur

All three of those artists were influenced y this though.

Oh shit, I was replying in the wrong thread, I thought we were talking about Piper at the Gates of Dawn, sorry.

Let's try again
>It's not that good, but that I have no problem with, since taste is subjective af. It's the "influential" part that I can't understand. What great bands were influenced by it?
"Great" is subjective af. Nice try though.

anyway, ok computer is garbage

>If i don't like it, it's garbage!
nah

your post is garbage as well

>the truth is garbage!
If you say so

most important album ever was Revolver and its not even close

>revolver
>alternative rock

ok, let's try this again

What bands were influenced by it?

Came here to post this

i think this is more important...so many albums have stemmed off of this.

>We wanna be The flaming Lips: The Album

not even close. if anything the pixies but pinkerton has a sound like no other.

>pinkerton has a sound like no other.
except Clouds taste Metallic and Surfer Rosa

this ofc
check views on post-grunge bands videos

It's important because Radiohead fans have beastly SAT scores.

It's certainly good, and definitely important, but I'd argue that the Beatles were more important.

Sufjan Stevens fans are the smartest
YIS

808s and heartbreaks

I have heard no one influenced by Kanye West

If I can't get enough Radiohead, what are some other good bands to listen to?

Also, why won't Thom cut his fucking hair

thanks for voicing my opinion too, important... kek

....I am really surprised I didn't think of this when I first posted that.

Thanks, user!

Maybe because it's not that influential?

Can't be arsed typing it out again

Well it influenced Drake...and....uhhh....

...Drake.

Wow.

No idea who that even is

then you're a moron

lmao. what a faggot.

>*there were no mainstream albums like it before
FTFY

>Radiohead went out to make the greatest album of all time

Do you have a source on this? Was this an explicit goal of theirs'?

>mastered 'the album'

Subjective as hell. Yes, it's a subtle and nuanced concept album - but that doesn't mean it excels at 'being an album' more than any other great LPs. I will say that it is the best at doing what it does, but what it does is very specific (And I'm not knocking them, they do what they do *really* well.).

>Thom Yorke's vocals...represents humanity surrounded by our own creations that are suffocating us

Source on this? I'm not even that skeptical but it would be nice to hear it from the horse's mouth.

>OK Computer title

Source? Although this one makes a whole lot of sense. I've read that it's from a chant Thom heard in a store but never considered that it's a phrase used to indicate submission.

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

>you aren't familiar with the current flavor of the month?
>what a moron!
No, any albums. Prove otherwise.

>>OK Computer title
>Source?
Not him but if it's any help, there was a song called "OK Computer" and many believe "fitter happer" was originally that song, retitled.

Oh man. Even if it isn't true, the idea of this is so fucking cool.