How can rock even compete?

How can rock even compete?

Other urls found in this thread:

cara.gsu.edu/courses/MUS_COMP/stock.html
youtube.com/watch?v=3CEsSnYV3rw
youtube.com/watch?v=CcvGYywz9vY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Rock is shite but lad, expand your horizons. The people who drone on about Autechre, Aphex, Justice and Daft Punk as if they're the only electronic artists worth mentioning are just as bad as the rockists they slander. You are allowed to discuss other artists.

For an album that is apparently non-repetitive it sure is fucking boring.

elaborate

justice and daft punk are trash

I agree, i never said they weren't. All hype and no substance.

>Rock is shite
nothing you say is worth anything

The fact that you associate repetition with boredom is evidence enough that you're not mature enough for great music.

I agree with this on principle (rock isn't shite though) but Autechre inherently invite a lot of discussion because of how "deep" a lot of their work is. People have wildly different opinions based on just how many times they've even listened to the albums, can you imagine discussing Autechre with yourself one, two or five years ago? I'd like it if Sup Forums was more inclined to discuss Vladislav Delay or Shake or Surgeon or whoever else I like but if it had to be one artist that's so often discussed and revered I'm glad it's Autechre.

I've been asking myself the same question. Although I do enjoy some black metal albums I haven't heard anything rivaling the complexity of autechre's work.

The fact you're so passive-aggressive speaks much about your musical maturity.

As expected of someone who implies Autechre to be "deep" and "great music".

30 seconds on youtube and i can conclude that autechre fans are the most autistic people in the world

I'm not passively aggressive, I'm actively aggressive. You are a childish cunt who will bash the taste of others without bringing up the stuff that you like yourself because it'll break the illusion you try to cast about your own superiority. Discuss music properly and sincerely or fuck off.

Thanks for further reaffirming the belief that Autechre is the Dream Theater of electronic music,

Would you like to elaborate on why you associate repetitive music with being boring? Or are you just going to insult the taste of others without revealing anything about your own taste?

I wish those musicians would not allow themselves any repetitions, and would go faster in developing their ideas or their findings, because I don’t appreciate at all this permanent repetitive language.

It is like someone who is stuttering all the time, and can’t get words out of his mouth. I think musicians should have very concise figures and not rely on this fashionable psychology. I don’t like psychology whatsoever: using music like a drug is stupid.

One shouldn’t do that: music is the product of the highest human intelligence, and of the best senses, the listening senses and of imagination and intuition.

And as soon as it becomes just a means for ambiance, as we say, environment, or for being used for certain purposes, then music becomes a whore, and one should not allow that really; one should not serve any existing demands or in particular not commercial values. That would be terrible: that is selling out the music.

autechre is cool but their fans are some of the most hyperbolic, overly sensitive, defensive and smug elitist cunts ever.

Repetition is not inherently a device for achieving ambience, it's a way of restating ideas and potentially looking at them from different angles and perspectives. Parhelic Triangle from Confield for example features a really repetitive loop as the basis of the track but it's paired with non repeating chord progression and changed subtly every now and then so that as it cycles it contrasts differently with the clanking bells in the background every time. This track in particular I think it's like the equivalent of a cubist piece of art, Picasso might include three ears on a portrait but depending on their position they have different significance to the composition of the piece, and it works the same way in this case only to a much more extreme degree since the track is the equivalent of only ears. Music is different to most traditional artforms because it includes a dimension of time, and repetition is a great way of thoroughly exploring an idea by examining in it in the wider context of the piece.

cara.gsu.edu/courses/MUS_COMP/stock.html

I've read his dismissals of Aphex Twin and Plastikman before, but not this whole interview. Stockhausen is of course a great composer but his approach to composition has always been marred by his own weird ideological hangups about what music is and should be. You may have read Xenakis' criticisms of his compositional approach for instance, if you don't want to take it from some anonymous shitmuncher on Sup Forums.

While Kontakte is legitimately one of my favourite pieces of classical music ever I also love Music for 18 Musicians, which I would imagine Stockhausen hates. I think it's intellectually dishonest to just take this one highly personal ideology as fact, even if it's supported by academic thinking, when there are other schools of thought that clash with it completely.

bump

REPETITIONS

bait lol

youtube.com/watch?v=3CEsSnYV3rw
youtube.com/watch?v=CcvGYywz9vY

Here's some insight on Stockhausen's views on rhythm by Anthony Braxton (examining the Klavierstücke).

it cant

Gorguts - Obscura

Yw

but Autechre are deep and great music

ITT: virgins comparing who has the smaller penis

there's glitch rock, like Radian

>brutal grindcore
>James Chance
>djent

>implying you've seen a woman in the last two years

They just can't.Fact

but confield is fucking bland