metacritic.com/person/grimes
whatdoestheinternetthink.net/grimes
youtube.com/watch?v=kGj27OOpr9Y
npr.org/2016/04/27/455769676/feeling-this-a-conversation-with-grimes
youtube.com/watch?v=L_hFrJ-FM2o
youtube.com/watch?v=u4jJOk5MpFM
electronicbeats.net/the-visions-the-voice-an-interview-with-grimes/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How can any self-respecting adult dress like this?

She knows she is better than you.

She's an artist. She's allowed to dress in whatever style she wants.

>pretentious

Pretentious or not, when her music is that good, she could dress even as a trash bin, it doesn't matter.

>when her music is that good
but it's not. so what does she have?

one size fits all

Please don't associate autism with this brat. She doesn't have it.

Not even autistic.

>Please don't associate autism with this rat
I'm sorry, I forgot rats can't have autism

lern 2 red

>but it's not.
That's just your opinion. You're an edgy contrarian against the consensus (that she's really good). Exactly: you are wrong.

>slandering whilst advertising

fail

If he were a dude (I wanted to say 'a boring dude', but her image is boring as it is), nobody would give a shit about her music.

>You're an edgy contrarian against the consensus
Great, and you're a mediocre person with no personality! Everyone's happy

being creative in terms of fashion
ignoring the meme that you should look pretty or something like that
that should come with being an artist

if she were a dude she'd probably be john maus

Say what you will, the fact is that people are listening to her music, not image. The image could just attract the new listeners, but it's her music that makes them pay attention.

>her image is boring as it is
Ha, you just proved my point. If her image is boring, why people are talking about her? Just because she's a female? Excuse me, there are lots of beautiful female artists that no one cares because their music is mediocre or shit.

Grimes is so successful because she's great at these 3 main categories: music, looks, personality.

>if she were a dude she'd probably be john maus
except John Maus is an intelligent person who makes good music.

>but it's her music that makes them pay attention
Yeah, and K-pop general is full of people talking about music.

her image is her character, which has everything to do with what her music should imply about her

youre forgetting women are inherently less intelligent m808

Strawman. Kpop is a whole genre, Grimes is just one artist. And by the way, the world is bigger than Sup Forums. Just 2 little examples:
metacritic.com/person/grimes
whatdoestheinternetthink.net/grimes

Your opinion is insignifiant against the consensus. Sad but true.

opinions can only be significant if they're against the consensus
no one needs constant reiteration of what's already established

i guess consent is objective too

John Maus is intelligent but also way weirder than Grimes. Just watch any live clip with him. Grimes is also intelligent: she studied neuroscience, philosophy and Russian literature at McGill University for a while. But we're not talking about IQ here, but about results: actual music. Their music is quite comparable: dreamy synthpop with great hooks.

Compare Head For the Country with Oblivion for a start.

>thought she makes cool gloomy synth pop
>check out her music
>literally nothing but memes

What the fuck Sup Forums

buzzpost

But she makes cool gloomy synth pop. Are you sure you listened to Grimes?

>way weirder than Grimes.

nuh

That is just one side of the story. Let's be real: everyone has his/her own version of what happened. That interviewer probably omitted the fact she behaved like an persistent asshole. Until I don't see Grimes' version of what happened, I don't believe a thing.

It's not a strawman, a term which Sup Forums overuses to the max. The comparison is valid. It does not matter that K-pop is an entire genre and Grimes is a single artist. I could give the comparison by just using a K-pop group if that makes you happy. You are saying "people are listening to her music, not image," which completely ignores the fact that you cannot separate the two. The same goes for K-pop groups, which is that their image almost entirely makes their music. I would concede that it's a bit less with Grimes but it's still very heavily linked. If she did not have that young little girl look and the obsession with Japanese culture then she would not be as big. I'm not saying she would be nowhere but I am saying she would be at a considerably lower point. You don't have to believe me but you will see what I mean over the next decade.

Explain this youtube.com/watch?v=kGj27OOpr9Y

it's intentional and fucking annoying

>Grimes working on a Phd
Kek, you have to graduate college first.

>joy division with autism instead of epilepsy
my sides

you don't have to go to college

>she studied neuroscience, philosophy and Russian literature at McGill University
>Studying = being good at it
kek

>But we're not talking about IQ
I am

>but about results: actual music. Their music is quite comparable: dreamy synthpop with great hooks.
Yeah, and Grimes is a pop artist who panders to weebs. I'll stick with John Maus while he still has his credibility.

better than all 50 minutes of Art Angels

it's less autism for sure

>panders to weebs
there's a cartoon drawing on her album cover and some jap title on another one, suddenly everyone brings that up?

Yes, you need an undergrad degree before working on a Phd. That's common sense. Or are you making an Animal Collective reference?

>are you making an Animal Collective reference?

kinda

>she studied neuroscience, philosophy and Russian literature at McGill University
>Studying = being good at it
>kek
Now the magic question: how do you know she wasn't good at it? Gotcha!

Let's see this:
>Audie Cornish: I read that you actually studied neuroscience in college? Or just the sciences generally?
>Grimes: Actually, I was in a program at McGill called Electroacoustics, where we studied a lot of how the brain interacts with music. So by the time I actually started making music, I kind of had an understanding of frequencies and kind of how the brain responds to things, which I think really helped me as a producer: Even though I had no experience playing instruments and stuff, I kind of had a basic understanding of engineering. My learning curve was maybe a tiny bit shorter than maybe someone who hadn't studied that stuff.
npr.org/2016/04/27/455769676/feeling-this-a-conversation-with-grimes

She applied irl what she studied. This is what an intelligent human does.

>but about results: actual music. Their music is quite comparable: dreamy synthpop with great hooks.
>Yeah, and Grimes is a pop artist who panders to weebs. I'll stick with John Maus while he still has his credibility.
You obviously didn't listen to her first 2 albums which are way weirder than anything Maus did. A random example: youtube.com/watch?v=L_hFrJ-FM2o Explain to me how this tune is the work of "a pop artist who panders to weebs".

And even her latest 2 albums (Visions & Art Angels) are weirder than Maus' masterpiece We Must Become the Pitiless Censors of Ourselves. Don't fool yourself, Pitiless Censors is very catchy and instantly likeable. In a word, great pop music.

Good point. Grimes just loves the Japanese culture, that doesn't mean she's pandering to weebs. Fucking /moo/ is always cynical.

Yes she is pandering, you blind Grimes fan.

NEW THREAD!

end your life you piece of spicy shit

>Now the magic question: how do you know she wasn't good at it? Gotcha!
The precise question is how you know she was. That's what I was trying to point out by negating your statement. It's not a "gotcha" moment. You are a fool, my friend.

>She applied irl what she studied. This is what an intelligent human does.
That does not make her intelligent. Also, didn't she drop out and not even show up to her classes? Also, McGill is a good school but easy to get into. A girl from my high school (American) went there and she never even took an AP class or exam.

>even her latest 2 albums (Visions & Art Angels) are weirder than Maus' masterpiece We Must Become the Pitiless Censors of Ourselves
Art Angels is not weird at all and Visions is just experimental at times.

>because i say that's how it is

You have to be blind to not even acknowledge that aspect of her music, which you have not.

everyone shut the fuck up and listen to this right now

youtube.com/watch?v=u4jJOk5MpFM

this looks like the best vaporwave album of all time

>I would concede that it's a bit less with Grimes but it's still very heavily linked. If she did not have that young little girl look and the obsession with Japanese culture then she would not be as big. I'm not saying she would be nowhere but I am saying she would be at a considerably lower point. You don't have to believe me but you will see what I mean over the next decade.
Her image is strongly linked to her music, true. But: her music is the main thing. Grimes is now like Bjork was in the '90s: like a manic pixie dream girl. You probably know that Bjork grew up of that image, more or less. That could happen to Grimes too.

>I am saying she would be at a considerably lower point
But think the other way, from a bigger perspective: maybe her quirky image and music prevented Grimes to achieve mainstream success like someone more normal (e.g. Taylor Swift & Katy Perry). To a normie, she's too weird (weird voice, weird image, weird personality, weird cover art). I bet she would be much more popular if she would be more normal.

Don't underestimate the power of the cover art. Ask yourself: what a normie would think of this Visions cover? Perhaps, "it's a death metal album"?

grimes is the stinky turd of music

>her music is the main thing
Sorry, but I'd say they're equal though. There's also a lot of people only listening because of Oblivion and Genesis.

>You probably know that Bjork grew up of that image, more or less. That could happen to Grimes too.
I hope so but I doubt that it's going to happen

>I bet she would be much more popular if she would be more normal.
Yeah, but that is an entirely different discussion contingent upon her being a completely different person.

>1 song title
>1 album cover
>that melody in genesis sounds a bit like one of those pseudo-oriental ditties you'd hear in old movies or something like that
outrageous pandering, totally detracts from the rest of her music, i agree!

Nice simplification but Art Angels was an entire act of pandering

>against the autism consensus
Ftfy

>The precise question is how you know she was. That's what I was trying to point out by negating your statement. It's not a "gotcha" moment. You are a fool, my friend.
I know because she applied what she studied into her music with great results. Did you even read the whole thing? BTW, the burden of proof is on you: first said "Studying = being good at it", so prove that.

>That does not make her intelligent.
Really? Just knowing stuff without knowing what to do with it, it doesn't make you intelligent, it just makes you a good organic hard disk, good for memorizing stuff.

Further proof that her intelligence is above average:
>Teenage Boucher’s obsessions ranged from space travel, to the twelfth-century composer Abbess Hildegard von Bingen, to Russian existentialist lit. She crushed so hard on Dostoyevsky that she even flew to St. Petersburg to attend an intensive Russian immersion.

>But as with Grimes’ music, Boucher preferred autodidactism. Garossino recalls hearing Boucher teach one of Chopin’s nocturnes to herself, bar by bar. But only through the wall—at the time, Boucher had too much stage fright to even play the piano in front of her mother.

>“Something that people don't understand about Claire is her searing intellect and focus,” Garossino said. “Whenever you think you've figured her out, she's already three moves ahead. Things are never what they seem.”

>Her mother related how at McGill, the wunderkind wanted to take physics, but couldn’t stand introductory courses. Instead, Boucher entered higher-level classes and studied the prerequisite material at the same time. “She would nearly kill herself studying—surviving on almost no sleep for weeks at a time.”

>“And that's how she makes music today. In long, solitary blasts of blistering intensity.”

then where else do you see this pandering
if anything it's pandering to the nostalgia of 90s-00s pop like avril lavigne, but considering her age i wouldn't think so. an album full of Go, contemporary mainstream pop, could have been called pandering pretty reasonably

let's ignore the fact that criticizing music just for an accusation of pandering is pure bullshit for a while, no i don't really see it

Bullshit. She did Art Angels because she wanted it. She loves pop music for real. She said in 2012 right after Visions was released (Visions wasn't even really popular at that moment):
>I think my music is becoming a lot more aggressive. I’m going more in that direction.
electronicbeats.net/the-visions-the-voice-an-interview-with-grimes/

You could compare AA with Bjork's Post. You probably know that Post is now regarded as an essential step in Bjork's discography, not like pandering to the masses or other false crap. There's nothing wrong with making catchy yet innovative music. Open your mind and stop being so elitist.

autism autism autism autism

fasho

So, all critics are autists and you're normal? gg, autist.

screencap it and let's see how many of the posts are (you)s

>autist crying autism when he sees some good discussion on this meme board
Why don't you just go fuck yourself?