Grateful /dead/ general

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RqsI9RlfKAg
youtube.com/watch?v=NgjtIHDke9w
youtube.com/watch?v=f8-JPx3xOxk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you all know that Europe '72 is the best and only Dead album thats worth anything

what about the recordings of the shows they took the songs for Europe 72 off of?
Veneta, Oregon is a great one too.

its all about the live shits
youtube.com/watch?v=RqsI9RlfKAg

I've gone to plenty of Darkstar Orchestra and Joe Russo's Almost Dead shows, but nothing beats the real thing. Saw Phil Lesh and Friends over the summer at Lockn', and I'm seeing Bobby play with Govnt Mule on the 10th. Hoping to see Dead and Company sometime in the future.

Have a China Cat > I Know you Rider to start your day

youtube.com/watch?v=NgjtIHDke9w

everyone knows that pretty much all live stuff when theyre atleast coherent from 72 through spring 77 is fucking gooooold and the rest of their career is either directionless or completely a shit show thats rooted in nostolgia and wanting to get high as fuck. but hey, i still go see phish every summer so i cant really bitch can i? haha

I give them until around '83 when they start falling off from their old sound and started catering to what sound was popular at the time (namely, "Touch Of Grey", "Eyes of the World", and so on).

Anything after '90 just starts getting sad as Jerry slowly falls off the wagon.

--- and I understand that Eyes of the World was released in '73, but they really started tweaking it to their 80's sound

My dad likes grateful dead.

Normie scum. You all.

Have fun dancing to your noise rock, you filthy contrarian

cornell 77 or bust
jerrys solo on brown eyed women crushes

oh ive heard a lot f stuff from then but i just fucking hate it. starting when they began getting heavy into coke in 78 and pretty much everything on they just totally lost their groove and spaceiness. plus like theres still a solid 5 or 6 years of INSANE material that i can never get tired of or reasonably listen to all of.

>He's Gone
The best song of the 70s

But what about Shakedown? It was released in '78 and yes, there are a few songs on there that deadheads aren't huge fans of ("Serengeti", "France", etc), but "Fire on the Mountain" can get spacey as fuck if that's the Dead sound you like.

I know "Shakedown Street" eventually became a cover-your-ass song for bad sets, but I think there are some pretty hot Shakedowns out there.

oh yeah, i mean its not all bad and theres some great stuff. particularly 87 they started to find some nice footing for a bit imo. BUUUT they debute fire on the mountian in live sets starting in 77... see 5/22/77 scarlet>fire in lakeland florida i belieb? anyways, yeah i dont mean like fuck everything after 77 as a hard and fast rule but in general you cant go wrong and they were much more "on" in those years.

Agreed. And don't get me started on post-Jerry Dead bands. Its even harder to pinpoint any period of time where they were all "on" at once. Ratdog is all over the place, same as The Other Ones, they were definitely still in their mourning period.
Furthur has definitely has some good tours, as has Phil Lesh and Friends (although it depends on who the "Friends" are IMO).
As for Fare Thee Well... I can get down with it, I love Trey to death, but its not my top choice.
Otherwise, I'm really hoping to hop on the next Dead and Co. tour to see what they're like live.

so i was at fare thee well in chicago and then saw dead and co the following november and man, dead and co SUCKED SOOOO FUCKING BAD I WAS GODDAMNED ANGRY I DIDNT LISTEN TO THE DEAD FOR MONTHS. i loved the fare thee well shows, i mean, for what they were it was a great way to put a bow on the name the grateful dead. and yeah man!! phil and friends on a good day is some really really great shit. i heard dead and co has improved but i just cant stomach them after what i saw man.

Phil Lesh and Friends was great at Lock'n. But I did prefer Joe Russo's Almost Dead show after Phish's first night performance. It was my first time tripping on Acid and I was coming down during Joe Russo's set. When they played Throwing Stones I was so happy. That song will forever be engraved into my memory of the whole experience.

Fuck yeah dude I was there!!!!!!! JRAD kills it every time, they're so fucking talented. I was on the rail all the way since sound check (albeit, I'm bummed I missed most of YEM), and it was a religious experience.

Definitely liked that second show better than the first night, after Ween sucked all evening (*braces for the Sup Forums smackdown*). I'll be seeing them again on the 2nd.

Ughhhhhhh dude that's such a bummer! I know the feeling though---- I saw a SHITTY Darkstar Orchestra show and it bummed me out from the Dead for quite a while. I have Lockn' to thank for getting me back into them.

im glad yall agree that 80s grateful dead isnt so hot. other people get up in arms when i throw that out there

Is there a recommended way to get into The Dead? I really enjoy Phish so I would think I have a taste for it.

From the thread it sounds like I should check out live albums between 72 and 77. Any recs.?

youtube.com/watch?v=f8-JPx3xOxk

Why are Grateful Dead fans the least autistic group of fans on Sup Forums?

Listening to In the Dark right now. It's not awful but it's not great, just okay.

Thanks, this is great.

Because we think it's alright if you don't like The Dead as long as you think it's alright that we do/

In the Dark isn't really the way to go... I would try Aoxamoaxa, American Beauty, or Workingman's Dead if you want a little variety.

Happy thanksgiving everybody and if u haven't listened to 6/28/74 Weather Report Suite-> mlb jam listen to that shit. Also 4/8/72 dark star

72-74 is GOAT

I've listened to all the classic studio albums, I was just trying to see what's so bad about the 80s Dead.

Ohhhhhhhh I see. Fair enough. Its hard to describe, just not as much soul in their 80's stuff, the lyrics just don't feel as genuine.

I like Shakedown Street desu

I always gravitate towards the Pig Pen years myself especially albums like Birth of The Grateful Dead and the two live albums on Sunflower but that's just my personal tastes.