/film/

/film/ General

Mods won't make it so it's up to us

A place for serious discussion of film as an art form.

pastebin.com/4mNLLgKC

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Fmeb-f4pthA
newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/terrence-malicks-knight-of-cups-challenges-hollywood-to-do-better
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm genuinely curious what everyones favorite tarkovsky film is. I'm so enthralled, and even "stuck" on The Sacrifice but I feel Stalker is a better movie for me. I loved it so I ended up looking in puddles as I walked down the streets and heard classical music.

Faves: Rebecca, Notorious, The 39 Steps, Vertigo

Honorable mentions: North by Northwest, Rear Window

Overrated?: Marnie

Comfy: Alfred Hitchcock Presents

youtu.be/Fmeb-f4pthA

Strangers on a Train and Rope are great too

Still need to see those two, looking forward to them. I'd suggest Stanley Donen's Charade for fans of North by Northwest, fun caper sorta film very much in that vein.

what's the appeal of the birds? ahead of its time technically?

i hate that film.

Faves: Notorious, Vertigo, Rear Window, Strangers on a Train, Psycho

Honorable mentions: North By Northwest, Shadow of a Doubt, The Birds, The Lady Vanishes, Frenzy

Underrated: Marnie

You may want to try the /flick/ general

I don't think anyone really cares much for that one except complete casuals.

Mmm pretentious.

This is why you'll never have your dear /film/.

Meme appeal honestly at this point, and I guess it was viscerally scary to audiences, but it's a shame that that film's what to many he's most known for. which was an ok one-off, but not indicative of his better work.

the same things that make Hitchcock's best movies interesting: psychological complexity, perverse character motivations, bleak view of existence and its prospects, tense, and thrilling studio innovations, etc etc

I'm always amazed that movies that are so psychologically complex and perverse did well at the box office

same here

it was novel at the time

are their any /film/tier scifi movies? besides stalker (not scifi im), solaris, and world on a wire (havent seen yet).

To Catch a Thief is bretty gud as well

A.I.

a genuine way to filter plebs

I have about as much respect for Hitchcock as I do for the dog shit on my shoe.

He is Reddit, he is capeshit, he is cheeto dust, he is video games. His """films""" are nothing more than meme's enjoyed by simplistic pledditors. I have ZERO respect for people who are not free thinkers and blindly enjoy the capeshit redditory Reddit directing that is Alfred Hitchcock. I'm literally screaming, slamming my arms on my desk right now just thinking about him.

actually it's because the bar for entry is so low. We need to be more like /lit/

I just watched Knight of Cups, and while I enjoyed it, I'm unable to pinpoint why, something that I always try to do in order give validity to any praise or critique I have. It was very dream like, an impressive feat for sure, but it'll take a rewatch and some looking into tarot cards to really understand. But regardless of whether I end up loving it or finding its philosophy unappealing, I don't see how critics can see it as empty or think "Malick is running on empty". It's clear he has ideas and genuine passion in his films, so I fail to see how, whether you like them or not, they can be written off as pretentious or empty. I can predict an argument being, "sure he has ideas, but he fails to get them across," but this is something I disagree with, evidenced by the trance Knight of Cups and even his other movies can put a viewer in. Regardless of the level of understanding on the viewer's part, I feel Malick has never failed to submerge them into the intended emotion and feeling of the film, so long as the are willing to be taken

Was about to say World on a Wire til you did, it is great. Ahead of it's time, interesting plotting, funky future retro vibe, a lot of fun from Fass.

Never Let Me Go is a recent beautifully directed maudlin film that's tangentially sci-fi, without the iconography. Under the Skin was excellent.

World on a Wire

I understand.

I'm of the opinion that instead of ostracizing people for "entry level" taste we should indulge them and lead them onto more challenging material but I'm aware how Sup Forums works. Still. Neither Sup Forums nor Sup Forums can keep the spew out. You think you can?

I fuckimg love the farmer's wife funniest, sexiest silent film he's got and top notch imagery too

>World on a Wire
Oops, totally missed that in the op

Talking about Hitch... have you guys see this? It's kinda good, but I was hoping for more.

Fincher and Scorsese are great though, as always.

What is the next step for film studies

It's absolutely brilliant. Among his very best. Especially the second time around. Richard Brody wrote an insightful, laudatory piece on it.

>Perhaps no film in the history of cinema follows the movement of memory as faithfully, as passionately, or as profoundly as Terrence Malick’s new film, “Knight of Cups.” It’s an instant classic in several genres—the confessional, the inside-Hollywood story, the Dantesque midlife-crisis drama, the religious quest, the romantic struggle, the sexual reverie, the family melodrama—because the protagonist’s life, like most people’s lives, involves intertwined strains of activity that don’t just overlap but are inseparable from each other. The movie runs less than two hours and its focus is intimate, but its span seems enormous—not least because Malick has made a character who’s something of an alter ego, and he endows that character with an artistic identity and imagination as vast and as vital as his own.

>As such, “Knight of Cups” is one of the great recent bursts of cinematic artistry, a carnival of images and sounds that have a sensual beauty, of light and movement, of gesture and inflection, rarely matched in any movie that isn’t Malick’s own.

newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/terrence-malicks-knight-of-cups-challenges-hollywood-to-do-better

lmao

I'm an uneducated burnout and I like Hitchcock because his films are very bleak but sexual and funny. Look, what I'm sayin is he knew how to make an actress look good in bnw, 20feet from the camera. I've busted any a nut to the lady vanishes many times.

these points are key, the use of space/time/narrative in such an ethereal poetic way was lost on a friend who took its proceedings to literally or in real time

>[...]These images, brilliant and radiant with a love of light, rapturous with a love of motion, bring to the cinema a big and great idea: the overcoming of the distinction between subject and object, between recording and imagination. The images are both of and from Rick, showing the practicalities of his experience, his sensory apprehension of them, and his inward visual projection of them at the same time, in the same shot.

>No less important than the images is the freedom with which Malick edits them. Recognizing that the memorable things that people say aren’t necessarily memorable moments of life, Malick separates the image and the sound, including snippets of synchronized dialogue along with snippets of voice-overs, turning the words themselves into images. He separates scenes into nodules of dramas that unleash their implications in flashes packed with imaginative potential. The full version of “Knight of Cups,” unfolded in the familiar styles of dialogue-centered dramatic scenes in chronological order, would be a multivolume monster.

Richard Brody liked This Is 40

But he also like Revenge of the Sith, which, memes aside, is a plus in my book