/sǝɯiɹƃ oʇ ǝɔiu ǝq/

Grimes! Discuss the super talented Claire Elise Boucher.

dailymotion.com/video/x4k3593

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VSlPICyFDUA
vmagazine.com/article/v104-grimes-interview/
youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA
instagram.com/p/BNLq8jfj0lX/
instagram.com/p/BNIlWAfDR60/
lpwtf.tumblr.com/post/17287274007/grimes-claire-boucher-visions-ferociously
pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/17367-grimes-realiti/
soundcloud.com/grimes-claireboucher-tumblr-com/grimes-interview-norway-feb-29-2016
forum.popjustice.com/threads/grimes-art-angels-general-discussion.34279/page-42
biqle.ru/watch/-9986050_456239141
youtube.com/watch?v=y-qB_Vu0WDY
youtube.com/watch?v=cN1EECnDIjA
youtube.com/watch?v=RlAdk6REPpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

PIN VIDEO CLIP WHEN? REEEEEEE
youtube.com/watch?v=VSlPICyFDUA

Venus Fly video will be the final one.

do you think this was planned?

>Still, Boucher’s not entirely prepared to abandon the glamour of big budget videos just yet; she has also just finished collaborating with Janelle Monáe on her video for “Venus Fly,” their shared track on Art Angels, which will serve as the 11th and final video off the album.

>As she closes the door on this album, Boucher has a calmer project in mind for the next: “I’m really vibing on making something really slow and gorgeous that just breathes, and has room to breathe. I feel like my work has always been fast paced, kinetic, and almost just manic and I feel like for me the hardest thing I can do is make something that’s slow and heavy. I’m so ADD in my work; I really want to push myself into something that would be slower and more reflective.”

vmagazine.com/article/v104-grimes-interview/

why didn't they use st vincent

KEPT YOU WAITING HUH?

What was the first song of her you heard and when? Me: Crystal Ball / 2011.

how come grimes generals look exacrtly rike kpop generals?

hmmmm

youtube.com/watch?v=N9XKLqGqwLA

that was kinda sad. wasn't she still with James at the time though?

she was dating pictureplen i think

>exacrtly
Except they don't

i think mods hate grimes. theyll delete my shitpost and warn me but leave blatant hateposting alone. i just dont get it. i guess because its "on topic"

Genesis in 12. ffs it was strange

Again, if she ever comes back, she absolutely needs to visit our archeological sites
Everyone knows how she uses a lot of medieval/avant pop influences (who were before influenced by gothic and renaissance religious music)
Now imagine her using also prehispanic music in her albums
A death whistle, the seashell horn, maybe even using lo-fi drums and rattles as a base for her tempo
I don't know what it'd sound like, but IMO would be fucking awesome
Hahaha, good one mark
What? Wasn't James' thing serious? I remember reading in an interview she really liked him and that he treated her really good

what interview?

she is with jamezsz since 2013

I think is the one with Fader when they are in her car talking about Art Angels
I'm not really sure though

>she absolutely needs to visit our archeological sites
She visited one already.

instagram.com/p/BNLq8jfj0lX/
>zona arqueologica cuicuilco

Some old buildings too.

instagram.com/p/BNIlWAfDR60/

Genesis / 2014

fuck this sjw bitch, that shit she posted about the "national day of mourning" is complete bullshit. i'm 100% native and have never heard of it.

she probably donates 80-90% of what she earns to charities and organizations

>i'm 100% native
Stop bullshitting, nigga.

>white guy using the word nigga
Stop

she's a privilidged upper class white girl with little talent

t. #truth

i'm yupik, born and raised in alaska.

Hi. What is your favourite Grimes album?

art angels

this

Art Angels. Dont get some kind of hate towards this album. For me it's a fav one.

probs hooked those orphans up with some dank

>Cuicuilco
Man fuck me, literally. I study in the campus and that fucking day we didn't have classes so I could have entirely stumbled upon her but I didn't even go there
Fuck my luck
But I mean bigger sites, like Teotihuacan, Tres Zapotes, or Chichen Itza. Hell, she should've gone to Templo Mayor to see the wall paintings
That's the cathedral fa-m. Puebla's cathedral is also really pretty, and IMO perfect for her videos
>pls be nice to claire uwu
Priviliged possibly. Little talented sure as hell no.
I mean, probably not that much, but that's also what I like about her. She always has a humanitarian cause to spread without sounding uppity and holier-than-thou. A tumblr sjw without all the bad parts of being a tumblr sjw. Or, rather, a humanitarian.

>white guy
How do you know I'm even white?

she's fucking stupid, if you don't want people to be mean to her, maybe she should grow a fucking brain

yes, I don't know how much, it depends on how much money she earns
but she seems to live on a low budget

>pls be nice to Claire
>isn't nice to Claire
:^(

>Man fuck me, literally. I study in the campus and that fucking day we didn't have classes so I could have entirely stumbled upon her but I didn't even go there
Bad luck, it happens. At least did you manage to see her live?

Well I mean, somewhere online I read she has about 4 million. It's not that much compared to Kanye or Bieber, but it's a lot more of what I have right now
And also, she can go to Europe and Asia in private planes and shit, so she isn't really too poor either. I guess part of her aesthetic is to appear in that "carded" look, but I also understand maybe she doesn't like spending money in frivolous things or luxuries.

She is smart. She is loyal

Yeah, actually. I bought the tickets three months in advance when I knew she was coming
But you know, there was a shitload of people that day, so she didn't give autographs or anything
(And by some reason, the videos I upload get taken down by 4AD's bots) >:^(

Clear Boucher

she's getting away

Fwiw:

>And the drawing she made for the cover definitely mines one of her main creative veins: an affinity for Mesoamerican style. “When I went to Mexico, I was actually really inspired by a lot of Aztec art. I went to the museum of anthropology and Teotihuacan. It was all so horrifying and elaborate. More similar to my own art than a lot of stuff I’ve seen, even just structurally, because they use lots of little images of screaming faces and strange patterns to make big elaborate pieces.”
>Boucher says she usually draws during movie marathons, and that the Visions cover image was hatched with India ink, watercolour paper and “Ghost in the Shell II night, so I was thinking a lot about death and shit,” she says. “I do visual art in the same manner as music in that it’s intensive, but it’s not private at all. The album cover image took about 16 hours, I did it over two days. But it’s weird because I was sitting in my friend’s living room the whole time, so it was a much more social experience and there was a lot of feedback from my friends, and it was a bit different in that regard. At this point there is way less pressure for me to make visual art, so I only really do it out of love, whereas music has deadlines and pressures and stuff, so it’s not as free anymore. It used to be the opposite.”
>This is probably why the prevailing influence on the Visions pieces is very personal — “my symbols,” Boucher calls them: the penetrating eyes (or lack thereof), the writhing textures, a weeping alien, the slanted hearts, flush roses and cushy bows, which apparently she’s been drawing since high school. “The eyeball was my first symbol and I use it in lots of ways all the time, but I also really like faces without eyes — which is why I’m attracted to skulls a lot.
lpwtf.tumblr.com/post/17287274007/grimes-claire-boucher-visions-ferociously

Wow. I mean, I can see how she uses a lot of the barroque style, but I somehow thought of the mexica art as having a more "gory" feel to it.
The one drawing of her I've seen approximate the most to that concept is the SCREAM goblin/troll (pic related), which looks very similar to standard representations of the Tzitzimitl.
I really love how she incorporates all these cultures into her work. It'd be awesome if she did the same with the musical heritage of these civilizations

>how come every time she goes here I can't meet her in person
> ;_;

Reported.

Wow, people actually discuss her music here?

What a nice contrast to Lavren threads.

We discuss her music and her life. Because there's no new music for a while, the discussions about her life tend to be in foreground.

Which song is her best album closer? Beast Infection, Favriel, Hedra, Know the Way or Butterfly?

My gut says Butterfly.

Fun fact: REALiTI was recorded in early 2013.
pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/17367-grimes-realiti/

Why did she decide to ruin her probably best track with an awful albuim version?

[Continuing from ]
If for no other reason than that it can stand on its own. Imo the others work great in the context of their respective albums, but aren't really the sort of tracks you'd give a listen to on their own.

>ruin
She didn't ruin anything. You have 2 versions and you could listen to both. If she never released the demo you would say the album version is the best thing since sliced bread. People are always ungrateful.

Anyway, FYI she lost the working files of that demo and she recreated the whole song from scratch. And only because the reception of that song was so great because she planned to not include it on Art Angels.

As a standalone I would say - Butterfly.
>If you're looking for a dream girl
>I'l never be your dream girl
My kokoro...

But for albums I would say Beast Infection. Damn good.

A detailed explanation from Grimes' of Realiti's complicated production history:
soundcloud.com/grimes-claireboucher-tumblr-com/grimes-interview-norway-feb-29-2016

see

I'm almost convinced that scrapped album was actually really great. Maybe one day she will release it...

>Know the Way
This. It just made me sad that the album is over, so I had to download the rest of her discography.

Seen this here: forum.popjustice.com/threads/grimes-art-angels-general-discussion.34279/page-42
>"REALiTi" demo version = 'Visions Version'
>"REALiTi" album version = 'Art Angels Version'

Agree?

Vanessa, whenever the video came out. Listened to it all night desu.

Sounds accurate. Demo is more "calm, melodic and melancholic", suits Visions (for i.e. Genesis\Oblivion)

Can't help but feel like her live vocal is underwhelming. I know, Claire said it a couple of times "I'm more a producer than singer" but shit, still, watch this

biqle.ru/watch/-9986050_456239141
(russian video site? cause youtube doesn't allow it)
She needs to work on it.

Eh. She got the job done.

There's a very good reason why great live singers are not in the habit of wildly jumping about and dancing while performing - because vigorous body movements directly interfere with proper breath control for singing. Tbh she painted herself into a corner on that front with the whole Art Angels tour by deciding upon such vocals-heavy setlists while also focusing so much on dancing/choreography/crowd interaction (fwiw this isn't all just me speculating - can't find it atm, but there's a point in this interview youtube.com/watch?v=y-qB_Vu0WDY where the issue of losing vocals during live performance due to excessive movement comes up specifically.) Imo it's gonna be most interesting to see where she goes next, especially if she really decides upon this whole "calmer" vibe - since it should allow her voice to shine much better live.

Don't get me wrong - imo the whole Art Angels tour vibe/paradigm was fantastic (and I'm saying that as someone who got to see it live.) It was just EXTREMELY technically unforgiving for delivering good live vocals, and - speaking as a professional singer myself - super props to her for doing as well as she did with it. Especially considering all the crazy shireking/yelling/screaming involved.

*slurp*

You are right.

Grimes sings better when she stands almost still. On this Art Angels tour, not only she danced much more than before, but the new songs were also very demanding, vocals-wise. So, in order to deliver an entertaining show, she had to sacrifice the quality of the vocal performance a little. Also don't forget that her previous songs were much more drenched in reverb while the AA songs are more like classic pop songs, with the vocals in foreground.

Despite that, sometimes she's really good live, as you can see in the very first video posted, that Glastonbury performance (except the notably weaker live version of WP2).

>you will never become a voignamir

who would want to.

i want to be voignamir or queit

hi grims

please notice me, grimes

I notice everyone, sweetie

Why she should notice you?

i love my grimey

That pic is from this gig: youtube.com/watch?v=cN1EECnDIjA

Nightmusic sounded so great live.

Nylon photoset is fantastic
My heart...

most beautiful woman ive ever seen

grimes effect must be documented

whats the grimes effect

angel

The more Grimes you listen to the cuter a person you become.

see the contents of these threads

She's so beautiful.

24 seconds of Grimes shouting: youtube.com/watch?v=RlAdk6REPpg

I listen to her almost all the time and I'm still as ugly as I was before :^)
Ironically enough the inside beauty in me has stayed the same but I somehow act a bit more tolerant with people, specially in this board
Huh

How many times have you listened to AA in its entirety?

But I mean, I have also tolerated a bit better my depression lately, so it's more likely I hear more music that goes with my mood, like Grimes
Strangely enough Pin used to seem upbeat to me until now, now it seems kind of sad tbqh

Thrice, four-ice maybe
I don't know, cumulatively I'd say 5-6 times

Today?

Today I only listened to it once tbf