youtu.be/ub-BigxcDvc?t=115
sweetwater.com/store/detail/CS24PTBBY
amazon.com/Rogue-RM-100A-A-Style-Mandolin-Sunburst/dp/B0002H0KG0/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

someone here have it ?
worth ?

Just incase anyone ITT can play wonderwall

how do i write songs like the milk man

What's the best overdrive pedal for bass?

I'm currently using a RAT, but it seriously destroys my low end and is honestly more akin to a distortion/fuzz.

Hey guys,

I've got a Boss Blues Driver which I use mostly for cleanish tones. I want to get a fuzz pedal that goes well with it. I want a kind of blues rock 60/70's thick warm fuzz sound.

Any recs?

Boss ODB3 works fine. You can blend the clean and overdriven sound and you can boost/cut bass and treble to retain the low end.

Get a Super Fuzz or Tone Bender clone, they work great stacked with overdrives and other fuzzes.

fuzz face?

I forgot to mention I already own one, it works ok but for some reason it feedbacks like hell when run along with all the pedals I use...

Hey /gg/ I'm looking for a bedroom practice amp. Is the v22 good at low volume?It's really affordable in my area.

Yeah I was looking at the Fuzz face and the tone bender clone. My problem with those is that they sound more like distortion than fuzz. I was also thinking of the big muff but that sounds too much like the big muff, if you catch my drift.

i'll have to check if there's any good Univox clones out there.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KH6ROJ6/ref=psdcmw_11971401_t1_B005JPWNVU?th=1&psc=1
will i regret buying this

Throw a compressor in front and just about every pedal will sound decent.

All fuzzes sound pretty much like distortions, user, it's basically the same approach as far as waveshapes and shit go...

Yes

yeah, actually they way i'm getting my fuzz sound now is just cranking up the distortion channel on my roland cube which is basically just a built in boss ds 1. I could just get a cheap boss distortion and crank it all the way up too but i'm not sure how well it will stack.

probably

Throwing in another yes.

Never ever buy a package deal like that. You'll get an even shittier guitar than the ones they sell without. Same goes for the "amp".

is he the cringiest musician of all time of our current generation?

i'm not into him but why you think he is cringey

I kinda want to buy a Fender Modern Player Telecaster, but I'm wary because they're manufactered in China. Are they as good as any other Fender, or are they shit?

>MFW I'm a stoned guitar pedal

play a bunch of incoherent notes with horrible rhythm and a lazy attitude

I have a 60s Jedson W92412 string acoustic. jedsonguitars.net/12-string-models
I bought it for 80€. I want to trade it in for a great condition Epiphone Hummingbird, which is 250€ new.
Good idea?

how should I spend $50?

Pedals

Was this bait?

neck dive: the bass

oy m80s, I need to somehow replicate a crash sound from a standard drum kit but only with things I have in my house
no synthesis or sampling allowed but a little bit of post processing is ok
wat do?

Look at the distorted sound i got by clipping a virtual soundboard channel
a.clyp.it/ub42mnfy.mp3

Is that metallica

Um off the top of my head you can stick a playing card in your guitar strings like johnny cash did. That gives your guitar a kind of snare percusive sound. If you add tons reverb and stuff it might sound like a crash?

I dunno thats the best I could come up with but its worth a try.

see:
youtube.com/watch?v=nsVBasT389w

also this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=P0Xi9ke2D2o

No jus jammin

How good are Harmony Bobkats?
I saw Sufjan Stevens use it in his Age of Adz tours and the sound of that album is amazing.

I'm Metallica

ask me anything

Is using hammers / pullofs to save picking on bass a bad thing? Is the attack that it kills important?

Why have you sucked since the 80s?

This Boss ML-2 pedal
Because I was sure it would get me the same tone as all my favorite metalcore bands through my shitty Marshall MG combo
[spoiler]it didn't[/spoiler]

Somebody red-pill me on wireless in-ear monitors.

How much am I looking at having to spend for a decent setup?

Cause your mom's been busy raising you.

She was busy in the 80s doing that, that doesn't explain why Metallica sucked cocks after the 80s.

You could smash a window

>a crash sound
A crash what? Cymbal?

Check out all your pot lids I guess.

bump

I think there's value in doing it both ways, but I think most people aren't so obsessive that if you performed it your own way, playing the right chords at the right time in the bar, but strumming them differently / your own way, that's kind of expected and would be overlooked by most in a performance setting.

>Zappa: Well I'm specialized. What I do on the guitar has very little to do with what other people do on the guitar. Most of the other guitar solos that you hear performed on stage have been practiced over and over and over again, and they go out there and they play the same one every night, and it's just... spotless. My theory is this: I have a basic mechanical knowledge of operation of the instrument, and I got an imagination. And when the time comes up in the song to play a solo, it's me against the laws of nature. I don't know what I'm gonna play, I don't know what I'm gonna do. I know roughly how long I have to do it and it's a game where you have a piece of time and you get to decorate it. And depending on how intuitive the rhythm section is that's backing you up, you can do things that are literally impossible to imagine sitting here.

kind of related

I fucking hate it when people adjust songs in their youtube covers/whatever and some pleb in the comments points out
>hurr dur you played chord X instead of Y, that's wrong and your pattern is also wrong hurr

What's the fucking point in playing a song exactly like the original?
sorry for the rant

I like a lesson on a song to be as accurate to the recorded version as possible. I'm pretty autistic like that, I guess, but I also don't mind when it's varied up in a live performance setting.

yea I totally agree with lessons

I was thinking more of cover songs

how would you learn to play (guitar not bass) if you're new and smart and lazy?

Lesson is one thing. Any real player makes a song their own so to say.

I was never a fan of the "this is exactly how you play this song including how you're supposed to pick" style lessons, basic structure and chords and using your ears should be enough for people to actually learn, not just get spoonfed into a player that needs crutches to learn something new.

Basic notes, which notes the strings are, the relationship between the strings, basic scales (like major/minor), basic chords, basic song structures, keeping time.

In that order, I think that'd be the most effective way to learn the basics.

Skip to 1:55

youtu.be/ub-BigxcDvc?t=115

and how dumb would it be to start with an electric guitar?

No, bugera is the trashiest of the trash. Valve amps are universally horrible for bedroom playing anyway. Id reccomend either one of those new boss katana 50w or an orange crush 35 personally.

If youre dead set on a tube amp, id check out a used peavey valveking 112. Theyre 50 watts and loud enough to demolish small buildings, but only 150-200$/euro, have 2 channels, spring reverb, and a decent master volume control. Theres one sitting in pretty much ever used Music store.

why would that be a problem exactly?

A guitar is a guitar. You'd find it harder to jump onto an acoustic that way due to higher tension/higher action on strings.

not dumb at all if its what you want to play. Theyre much easier to learn on; any teacher that forces or coerces you into starting on an acoustic when you dont want too is a dinosaur who doesnt have your best interest in mind. The single most important aspect of learning an instrument is wanting to pick it up and practice.

How sad is your local guitar store you had growing up?

I remember back when I first started playing in highschool my local store had all sorts of cool shit, hundreds of guitars, gibsons, fenders, rics, weird shit, marshall stacks, orange, ampeg, vintage pedals, all sorts of weird old music shit, vistalite drum kits, about 6 people working their regularly. That was about 15 years ago.

I went in there a little while ago and it was the most depressing shit I ever saw. 2 black star amps, some roland practice amps, about 8 made in China cheap acoustics and a handful of dean electric guitars. One of the dudes was there I recognized, still looked the same. He was the only dude in there.

I felt like crying.

>making a basic theory lesson
>not using clean tone, his guitar sounds like farts
why?

Got a question regarding my pedal, it has a distortion side and a overdrive side, can i plug the overdrive side in the distortion side?

Fender and gibson raised their minimum order requirements so high that basically only massive music supercenters can afford to stock them.

I grew up on an island with no real music store. There was a Christian shop that sold some acoustics.

One of my teachers in high school owned a studio though and I got to order stuff through him.

I feel like obsessing over every detail and wanting to get your strumming exactly like the original is a phase most beginners go through -- I know I did. Eventually you'll realize the timing of chord changes are far more important, and for most songs, you can strum however you want as long as your timing is right. The best covers always add their own twist/re-invent the song to some degree, and that also makes it a lot more fun to play imo.

So you'd have an easy excuse to be lazy and not learn the material because muh tone

Well thats fuckin gay.

So it's not entirely the internet thats ruined local shops?

I have 2 local stores in my area.
1 is a mom and pop store that stocks only name brands and band intruments that are factory made.
The other is a mom and pop store that only sell off brand american hand made Guitars like G&L.
I worry for 2nd one because its in a really obscure spot and i don't think any aspiring kid artist would go there when they can just go to the place that sells shitty fenders thats right next to the local high school.

Yaay. Thank you anons.

I fantasize about acoustic guitars, but they're really not what I want to play. I'm definitely scared of electric ones ... eek.

Its a combination of the internet, many LMS owners having terrible business sense, and major insturment companies like fender,Gibson,PRS, marshall going full Turbo-jew with their sales agreements

4 out of the 5 music stores in my area had to close ;_;
The last one got bought up by a bigger company, haven't been there in a while

I visit "musicstore" in cologne every now and then but nothing beats the comfiness of a small and comfy shop with nice people

Just play the instrument that makes your balls tingle. That's whats gonna keep you coming back when it starts getting tough

sooner or later you'll probably have an electric and an acoustic anyway so it doesn't really matter that much how you start

For me it was a Guitar Center. While they have a massive selection and more than I ever needed, I always hated going in there. That place was so intimidating when I was a beta 15 year old beginner. Anytime I asked anyone who worked there a question, they were always assholes about it. It wasn't til I moved away to college that I realized the beauty of a small local shop mom/pop store. Customer service was 1000x better.

I learned on an acoustic and I'm not convinced it was any more difficult or made me any better than if I had learned on an electric. I really don't think it matters. Get whatever is going to motivate you to play more.

its the jew company executives and the sad fact that most small shops are run by morons.

Started playing a year ago so i have no idea how the shop was in the past, the shop has been been passed from parents to son, they mainly sold all kinds besides Fender but they fused recently and sell Fender as well now.

jm

Me too lol

thoughts on this for about 80 USD? looking for a compressor pedal. not trying to break the bank, I'll go as high as 120.

There's been only four here in this city since I started playing.

The first one is a small mom-n-pop, they used to sell low-end Ibanez and Squiers along with all the shitty mexican stuff, but now all they stock is the shittiest mexican plywoodiest stuff. The pop also bent my bass teacher's Warwick 5 string Corvette neck once by fucking around with the truss rod when he left it there for a cleaning + setup.

Second one is right around the corner, the most jewish store I've ever seen, they upmark everything and had all these shitty Ibanez and no-name lawsuit Chinese guitars going for hundreds of dollars. For the last 8 years they've had this same pack of Rotosound flatwound strings at almost 60 dollars, no one knows why.

Third is some small chain, they stock good shit from all major brands and strings are priced fairly. Possibly the better one around here.

Fourth is a chain too, but they only stock the shittiest lines by all the major brands, Affinitys, Bronze BC Riches and Behringer pedals everywhere.

Most people here since I was a kid strating out with his bass just braved the 22 mile trip North across the border to Guitar Center for good shit.

used keely compressor.

this
that i know of, we don't really have any small time guitar shops. Out of the two i know of, one of them closed down and both of them just had a few old guitars and basses that were well into the 5 figure range

guitar center sucks major dick though. i hate having to buy from them. Partly why i went through a one man operation for my new bass

sweetwater.com/store/detail/CS24PTBBY
Ordered this yesterday with some treble bleed mod kits.

Anyone got any suggestions for recording using it? It's acoustic electric if that helps.

Also has anyone here done a treble bleed mod before? What am I in for?

>What am I in for?
No idea about the mod, but it's a cheap Ovation. Get used to it sounding like plastic.

You're better off with a vintage modified or classic vibe squier to be honest

this

I really like the EQD Hoof. You can get a REALLY fat tone with it and it's modeled after the sovtek Big muff.

It used to be a huge bustling store with walls of guitars, amps, and other things, and a giant maze of rooms in the back for giving lessons. Then they sold 3/4 of their store space to some women's gym a couple years ago. Now it's just a tiny building with barely any instruments and they don't offer music lessons anymore since they don't have the space. I think the owner is the only employee now, he's the only one I ever see there. He was so grateful when I bought an Ibanez Prestige from him last year that he's offered me indefinite free setups. Frankly I don't know how the dude has managed to stay open

RAT is fuzz, not overdrive.

I own a bass big muff pi and it sounds better than the RAT in my opinion but there's no much you can do about losing low end from clipping effects.

Anyone here pick up some sweet new gear for black friday?

no I'm poor as shit :( :(

No I'm doing homework

Compressor helps

From my relatively limited experience I find I keep my boss CS3 on most of the time when I play bass and if I want any dirt I use a Swollen Pickle fuzz, which has plenty of low end. In general fuzzes work better for bass than distortion. I don't find overdrives sound good to me on bass but I would try one with the gain knob way down, maybe.

Jazzymasty?

He is a twat.

Nah, don't need anything really, what good deals are there?

Want to get my first Mandolin, would this be worth it?

amazon.com/Rogue-RM-100A-A-Style-Mandolin-Sunburst/dp/B0002H0KG0/

post modern man something something pynchon HA HA SIMPSONS

What happens if you run both at the same time?

not this time, no money atm.

>what good deals are there?

No idea. I'm pretty much a combination of these two anons & -- a poor grad student.