Do grades reflect intelligence?

Do grades reflect intelligence?

They reflect the effort you put in.

To a certain degree, yes. People claiming opposite are just underachievers who want everyone to think "We wuz smart"

Yes, yes, yes, boy! If not, how to pay here for?

They can, but not always.

I've found that grades are honestly more of a reflection on your ability/willingness to concentrate and apply yourself to a task. This can fluctuate based on a number of different circumstances, but everyone is capable of an A barring severe mental retardation.

What the fuck are you babbling about. You literally just went full retard.

you do realise that grades aren't objective right. The teacher has to decide what grade you get and therefore your grade depends on the teachers opinion wether your work was good enough or not.

Sukk a kok!

>but everyone is capable of an A barring severe mental retardation.

Yea def applies well to high school. All you had to do was pay attention in class. Uni, on the other hand, not so much.

Retard detected, go justify your inadequacy somewhere else you inbred mongoloid.

Dont know if this is bait or not but hell ill take it. In my entire life i have never seen someone good saying "I totally just got a good grade because x likes me" whereas the underachievers always used that as an excuse. Take math for example, nothing subjective there. Also, making someone like you is a skill that reflects your intelligence as well

you can even look up studies online to this topic.
they made some tests in germany and let like 200 teachers decide what grade they give. the grades varied from 2 to 5. (pretty much B to F in your stupid scale). tell me again how its the students fault that he got an F when he just got an asshole as a teacher

I respectfully disagree, everyone is capable of an A in college too, but as we age we take on more and more responsibilities outside of schooling (social, personal, work, etc) which makes getting A's less attainable for those without above average memory retention.

I'm disagreeing with you, but only slightly.

Suck a cock....?

The 'I'm smart but I didn't try in school' head ass. Getting better grades makes you more likely to have a higher IQ and a better paying job when you're older. You're just trying to justify why you didn't get good grades in school. You try perpetuating that you're actually smart even though you have nothing tangible to show for it. Good job, you played yourself.

Math isn't subjective because not everyone uses the same way to solve problems. also not everyone does it as detailed as it can be. if one student gets the right solution but brought almost nothing to paper to prove he understood how to correctly solve the problem.. does he deserve an A?

this

> Math isn't subjective

This has to be bait

I have read studies on this exact topic, and an "asshole for a teacher" is a subjective statement that can't be proved. Someone you call an asshole I might just say has high standards and is pushing students to actually try their best and apply their intellect, instead of writing down the shortest answer they think will be acceptable. Simply by your punctuation and your insinuation that the A to F scale (which is just a lettered representation of a scale from 0-100) is "stupid," I can tell you never really applied yourself or cared too much for learning in a school atmosphere.

>memory retention

Sure, this is true for liberal arts degree.

My experience in an engineering college was a different story. Exams are designed to be very challenging and 70-90 percent of your final grade, and if it was a good exam, the results statistically form a normal bell curve.

No he doesn't deserve an A.

Being able to do something is different from being able to do the same thing and explain it step by step. Being able to describe your thought process step by step is a valuable communication tool and should be rewarded with higher grades in school. People who can explain or write out the reasons detailing every change/step in their work process get paid more/get better results as an adult.

Exactly why it's subjective.

Again, I'm saying that everyone is CAPABLE of an A. Not that everyone is going to get one, or that it is even remotely likely that everyone who could get an A, will.

Which is why I qualified my statement in the previous post.

Missed the point

they reflect individual effort and understanding of a system, and subsequently are an indicator for future success in employment and contribution.

You can be a dumb cunt with good grades and a steady job/income, or a smart shit kicker that fails everything because they can't be arsed to do anything requiring effort.

Missed the cock that's down your throat.

So you're talking about theoretical potential which has little to no real life application, much like and his engineering degree.

Stay mad edufags

How could I miss something that is inside me? I think I'm starting to understand why you got bad grades user, you don't even understand definitions of basic words.

Also, I love the cock that's down my throat, so keep hurling the gay insults my way and I just may get turned on. xD

>about theoretical potential which has little to no real life application, much like (You) and his engineering degree.

kek some A+ bait right here.

I'm a teacher. The shit heads get bumped or we get in trouble. Hands are tied these days, you need so much documentation to fail a kid. I'll never fail anyone who tries their best and comes in for tutoring. And yes, my worst students are usually black, but not always. And usually at least half of my black kids are good people.

MFW tau proteins are destroying my brain

I failed highschool but I was told many of times that I was smart throughout it. I'm now in college now getting my bachelor's in economics and doing below average but passing. Whenever I'm on reddit many people will up vote my post and tell me I'm smart. I never really tried in highschool but I could've passed if I wanted to but I was more concerned with reading philosophy and Ayn Rand because I was above whatever the teachers were teaching me, it was really boring. Grades are just what the teacher decides to give you. The criteria system and school system is flawed.

Which kids are usually the most annoying or difficult to deal with? Also, what do you teach?

Thanks user, I appreciate that you could rise above it and not swallow the whole pole.

what the hell can you realistically do with a degree in economics?

he smart. he know

Yes, to an extent.
To me they represent the amount of effort and determination a person is willing to put in.

Freshmen. Little shits.

I taught Biology and Physics last year.
This year I'm teaching Physics and Eath & Space Science.

Analysts, economists and accountants to name a few.

Holy fucking shit kiddo, I might be taking the bait here, but if this is really how you feel stop before you cut yourself on that holier than thou intellectual libertarian edge. The system is flawed, but if you want to excel in life and do well for yourself, your loved ones, and family then maybe start applying your supposed intellect and make the top of your class so you can get a free ride to a good college without amassing a bunch of debt.

You sound exactly like the type of person most people hate. No offense.

You can fist yourself while holding your degree in economics.

Yeah, Im sure the job market is really hurting for analysts and economists from third rate unis.

And accountants? Are they interchangeable with economists? My impression is that you need a degree in accounting.

Nice trips m8

You don't need a degree in accounting to become a CPA. Honestly, unless you're working for a major corporation or a business with more than 50 employees you don't NEED any degree other than your high school diploma to be an accountant for a business. Doesn't mean your likely to get the job without one, but I know of several business owners in my area who just have their accounting done by a family member with no college and minimal experience. You just have to have a head for numbers and be motivated.

I would apply myself but I see no challenge in being at the top of the class. Maybe once I feel more interested and challenged by the classes I will but that's not the case atm.

>You sound exactly like the type of person most people hate. No offense.

I have over 200 friends on steam and just went to a party yesterday so no, I'm very likeable.

But OP, how can intelligence exist when our eyes don't exist?
>Check mate

no

friends on steam ... likable ... oh, the delusion

Yup.

Intelligence is your ability to negotiate a path through the world. If you're in a western country and don't try to get top grades, you're stupid.

If you're in a nigger country you might be better served investing your time in nigger activities.

People saying they have absolutely no connection, are just bullshitting themselves.

Maybe sometimes smart people get grades lower than the deserve, but very rarely do you see idiots with straight A.

Nobody thinks they are a perfect, objective measure of intelligence, but they are a pretty accurate refection.

And for people saying "oh, they just reflect how much the teacher likes you!" get out of highschool. College classes are usually marked by graders / TA's who you'll never even meet.

Also, when grading is done on a curve, it measure your performance against others on that curve. So you are graded relative to others rather than some objective standard.

Also left or right?

Yep, I took the bait for sure. Nice one man, you had me fooled in your first post.

Short answer is no

>I have over 200 friends on steam

kek

I like how you responded with a paragraph in response to something that wasn't even vaguely suggesting how he did in school

Well played, retard

I wouldn't say so.
I'm not that smart and I got the top grades in my GCSEs because I revised. I just remembered stuff and that was pretty much it. The few questions that required me to do some actual mental work were very easy.

I would've said how many friends I have on Facebook but I only talk to about 30 of them on a regular basis online with the few occasional messages from others. I go to parties every weekend and have a girlfriend. Believe what you want to believe, it's not like your opinion matters.

>Also, when grading is done on a curve, it measure your performance against others on that curve. So you are graded relative to others rather than some objective standard.

Thats not completely true. There is an objective standard present as well, but I do agree it leans more toward your performance against others. 60/40

>I have 200 friends on steam

do you perchance attend the esteemed De Vry University?

"wrote too much, i dont think you understand it at all"
"i can see you understand it, but you will have to do better next time"
"it just isnt there"
"for this way of thinking you could get an A, but no"
"we have quotas, we need to kick someone out"
"our flagship discipline on this UNI is going to be special pedagogy"
Schools surely don't

Fair enough. It depends how strict the curve is at your school.

I like how you responded to that guys paragraph as if you weren't the retard in question.

>wasn't even vaguely suggesting how he did in school

First off if you don't see what's wrong with the grammar there, you are a retard. Secondly, no one who did poorly in school is just gonna spew it out over the internet on an anonymous image board without being prompted to do so.

Stay buttfrustrated senor potato

grades = intelligence * effort

No, however an IQ test is a reflection of intelligence

I skipped Uni, Got Average D's in highschool, and now work as a fulltime programmer at a cool company. Getting paid well too. I don't think grades really matter. What matters is what you do with your spare time. Not having friends as a kid is strangely very advantageous later on in life.

You missed a couple commas there, grammar man. You even missed a full stop at the end. You might consider being perfect, before you judge others, you faggot.

This is how it is:
Intelligent people are more prone to value good grades as their perhaps aim for a future within academics.
However you can be pretty dumb and still get good grades with some effort.
Thing is that intelligent people have an easier time getting good grades than dumb ones. They need to put less effort into it and thus get less stressed out.

I had pretty good grades in high school even though I skipped a lot of classes and put a minimal effort into school.
Gotta say though, that not learning proper study techinique has been a great disadvantage for me now that I'm in a university program filled with intellectual tryhards who have both capable minds and good study technique.

So whether school is easy or hard for you, you better fucking study. It will pay off in one way or another.

Nobody asked if grades mattered. They asked if they were a reflection of intelligence.

I can see why you got D's. Can't even answer the question at hand.

as THEY perhaps*

To a degree, yes.
Intelligent students are more likely to get better grades. However, grades are not the best indicator for intelligence but rather for effort and can vary between teachers and even certain student-teacher-combinations.
The problem with linking grades to intelligence is that intelligence is potential while grades are results. A highly intelligent student can get an F and a stupid student can get an A.Grades do depend on much more than intelligence.
But if someone claims to be intelligent yet their grades suck, they're stupid, either because they don't use their potential or because of a lack of potential.

>grading is done on a curve
not where i live
2% succes rate 3rd year is no surprise

How did you get your foot in the door without a degree in compsci or ece?

Back pedaling troll detected. If real have fun becoming one of the millions of "smart" people who were "so ahead of everything teachers were focused on" that they ignore the point of schooling which is to be trained to apply yourself to a topic/job even if you don't find it the least bit interesting. Keep thinking the way you do and you'll end up a shift manager in a local retail establishment for the rest of your life contemplating suicide whenever you think about the potential you wasted to become an influential person.

"WHEN grading is done on a curve"

I know it's not done in every college. I was just talking about when it is.

Missed one comma, and didn't feel the need to put a period on a sentence which involved calling someone a potato.

Judging others is how we all get through life, stay mad and I'll stay judgmental.

I made a bunch of really sweet tech demos which they liked a lot. When you can show an employer something cool, it's way better than a fancy piece of paper.

As someone with an actual job, let me tell you why that is bullshit. Employers want results, not a long ass boring explanation of how you got there. If you try to deny that, you'll only further prove you've never been employed.

And I understand there are certain jobs that expect detailed explanations, but those won't be had by most A students.

Beautiful bait, my friend. Really.

Why do people always do this?

Despite what people have been saying for the last 30 years: school =/= job training.

It's stupid to apply the standard of what an employer wants to how one should be graded in school, as if that is the criteria the school is using.

nice, Ive been thinking whether or not to showcase some projects I did while undegrad in ece. I dont see why it would hurt your interview.

Didn't go to uni, sorry mate.
Did my A levels and fucked off to the RAF to be an officer.

You missed five (5) commas in your post.

I had professors that gives everyone Cs regardless of effort. I had professors that grade hard and create exams based on arbitrary knowledge that is typically not taught in the class curriculum. Also, I had professors that give students As just for trying in class where the content of the work means fuck all to them. So we can play this little game of "is this bait". But until you start going to higher education institutions, you'll realize these kinds of professors exsist in any school you go to and grades are subjective.

It's not bullshit, it just applies in jobs that you will never get, with employers that look for people with critical thinking skills, not monkeys who will be replaced completely by machines in their menial labor jobs in the next 50-100 years.

Peform standard task- oh no, unexpected difficulty occurs

If you can't explain: why the difficulty happened, how you determined the way to fix it, and how you went about fixing it the most efficient way possible given the situation
then in my career you would quickly end up with no hours or no job at all.

Inventory Management and Consumer Data Analysis

Why should you need something tangible to prove that you're smart? Have an intellectual conversation with someone who claims to be smart, but does bad in school and a lot of the time you will see that they are actually smart. I was like that in school and my IQ is 160. I was interested in the stuff they were teaching, but not the homework, so I went through high school with all C's. It's a mixture of laziness, not being interested, and/or not giving a shit.

Basically this. Most school systems reward good work ethic and self-discipline more than intelligence. A lot of people seem to think that's a bad thing, but I disagree, since the former is a lot easier to improve than the latter.

kekekekekek

You use too many commas, my friend.
I wonder if your replies are getting shorter due to lack of substance, or sheer rage?

>makes a good point then completely invalidates it by using a meme
why man

How'd that end up working out for you, Einstein?

Currently in college working on getting my Phd in Psychology on a full scholarship, because I did extra curriculars and scored really high on my SAT

I wasn't the smartest kid in school and never did homework or any of my final exams come to think of it I never even did the test i past highschool and did a fuck load of lsd , I then got a trade and bought a house at 21 now 22 I'm smart in life and know alot and i fuck beautiful women which is all that matters really

This.
Not sure how it is in other countries but here we have competetive olympiads for various subjects. I have second best grades in my class however I got much higher results in those olympiads than the person with best grades.
So grades reflect your intelligence, your effort and how much you cheat during tests.

At best, all this proves is that sometimes grades reflect things other than intelligence - and nobody disagrees with that. But this is obvious in cases where they are being given out arbitrarily. Nobody thinks that randomly assigned grades reflect intelligence.

But if you think this is the situation most of the time, you're just deluding yourself.

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

I knew a kid in school that told the teacher he needed to be challenged more and she just told him that seeing how he has a D he should probably learn the material first. Having 200 friends on steam just makes you one of those people on facebook with 2000 friends knowing they only have 3 they talk to outside of school, meaningless.

I'm sorry I didn't enjoy taking, nor had an interest in Writing 101: The Art of the Dildo like you did, faglord.

>this

i have some friends that put A LOT of efforts into their test & assignment but still get lower grades than some who put a lot less effort.

and of course, there's also this. so in the end perhps it depends on how you're able to find the appropriate solutions to diff situations idk

God damn you know how retarded it is to care if someone put some fucking commas or periods in their sentences is?

No one gives a single flying fuck if you care, have fun pretending to be smarter than the dude your arguing with, you dont even know the faggot.

Read that on a classroom poster?