Directors you used to like but realized how bad they were when you grew up

Directors you used to like but realized how bad they were when you grew up

He's not bad. He was just so popular and influential that his style became the average style for unremarkable directors everywhere.

this

for me (and a lot of others i suspect) it was tarantino

Kubrick

All of these, plus Scorsese.

Came here to post this.

ITT: Shitposting general (Another)

This would pretty much be every director who ever existed.

This, gang.

Every famous director, actor, movie, etc becomes a meme eventually

You're a fucking idiot if you think Spielberg is even close to being a bad filmmaker.

This.

Lucas mentioned it in one of his last interviews, actually. That both him and Spielberg tried to make their worlds thought out and deep, but ended up opening the gates for a herd of fucking ugly hacks who thought only of pretty colors and witty quips. In the end, Lucas and Spielberg's works fucked up the sci-fi forever, because the pleb directors that tried to succeed them only saw the upper part of the iceberg.

Obvious, but true answer.

Spielberg is one of the best living directors.

If you think he's a bad director you are literally cine-illiterate.

Shame about his choice in material most of the time, but what can you do.

Name a currently popular director who utilizes his style?

I don't see any.

If anything it's the opposite. Fast cutting on impact with dramatic angles and shots, to the point of incoherency seems to be the thing now.

Spielberg uses lots of long takes and multiple actions occurring in a single frame.

Nope.

His directing is getting better and better.

(while is writing gets worse and worse)

>Le directors who made some the most iconic movies of the last 40 years are bad meme

This is contrarian for the sake of being contrarian

That's actually true
Although i would rather a well written movie with shit direction over a well directed movie with shit writing any day

>name one
SJJW Abbrams

Abrams style is nothing like Spielbergs.

He shoots like a TV director. Only similarity I can think of is an affinity for lens flares.

Yeah, but I still like how well shot Tarantino's films are. So it's like...an acceptable trade off.

At least he knows he's getting stale and claims he's going to retire soon.

his last decent movie was The Rainmaker (1997)

Did you see Twixt?

jeebus.

Elle was qt tho

Nolan, Lynch, Tarantino