This movie is mediocre as fuck

I watched it two days ago and I must agree. boring as fuck, nothing special

/pleb/ general?

It's boring, but it's good, which is a somewhat rare feat. I'd say 7/10

feel free to enlighten us, embryo

what's v v i t c h?

Is it on piratebay?

Id love to butter Thomasin's pussy if you get my drift

It's only boring if you don't understand higher modes of cinema like mood, composition, and morality. If you're a narrative pleb who needs the director to hold your hand the whole way through, you're not going to be able to keep up.

this movie is the first work of an amateur that used to work with art direction. its "mood, composition, and morality" have no merit at all if you're past entry-level cinema. the highlights are the art direction (!), everything else is flawed

>its "mood, composition, and morality" have no merit at all if you're past entry-level cinema.
Are you capable of elaborating?

are you? you made claim that it is an example of "higher modes of cinema"

It would be nice if more movies were this "mediocre".

I thought it was great. It's about a family that gets tossed out of a settlement for being too hardcore in their superstitions, so they homestead and from there it's unclear if they were really being set upon by a witch and satan, or if they just got so caught up in their fanaticism that every little thing was a confirmation of their beliefs.

I don't usually like ambiguous artsy shit, but I enjoyed this. Gorgeous cinematography by the way.

just watched it, what was the daughter's motivation behind becoming a witch? didn't make sense to me

half-assed metaphor for female liberation in face of religious moralism, family values and oppression. she didn't have anything else to do, I guess. better trade her soul for butter

>ambiguous

>If you're a narrative pleb who needs the director to hold your hand the whole way through
>you're not going to be able to keep up.
>muh art!
>y-you just didn't get it

Fuck off, this was a boring 93 minute slog of nothing happening. The acting was great, the setting was genuinely spooky, but nothing happened.

This film is the emperor's new clothes of horror films, designed to bait poser-hipster-trash like yourself into blindly praising it and denouncing any form of criticism with 'you didn't understand'.

It's a pleb detector my friend.

She believed she was. Her superstitions were as strong as the rest of the family who accused her of witchery before they all died.

You can really take the movie as Satan tormenting a religious family, or as a family afflicted with extreme superstition and tearing itself apart.

yep, thinking the movie is anything but mediocre sounds the alarm

Elaborate, I don't understand

I agree.

If you genuinely think this is a good horror film, you're a pleb.

The fungus on the corn causing hallucinations was a better explanation.

Is there a hallucination causing fungus that grows on corn that you know of?

I don't like that explanation, because the movie makes a point to show that even other devout religious followers can't handle these people.

Because it's a thinly veiled warning against the consequences of feminism and what the freedom of women will cost our society.

wouldn't say hallucinations, but paranoia would most definitely fit

>yfw the twins were actually sheep all along and the family's been fucked up since the start

Same shit happened with Babadook.

I haven't seen this yet but be wary of getting hyped for anything Sup Forums spergs about.

>the settlement=the patriarchal society
>the homestead=the new feminist society
>satan+witches=manchildren

Well, I don't imagine the audiences for It Dooks and this movie have a great crossover.

Found the biggest faggot alive.

My friend thought that too but I think there were just sheep in there with them and also got murdered. I figured they just pussed out and didn't want to show dead toddlers

Were the twins on the cart leaving town or in the beginning when he's getting sentenced?

That is an insane stretch.

they would show dead toddlers if they wanted to
the sheep/children are the people who stand by and watch this shit unfold, like Sup Forums the most they'll do is point a few fingers, throw up some drama, but in the end they'll end up fucked by the deteriorating fabric of society because being children, they're not capable of doing much

Not even. Feminists have already chimed in about how pro-feminist it is, basically telling the world how much of a one-track egocentric mind they have, not realizing that the liberation of women has come at the cost of an entire family unit
and what's at the end? a bunch of satanic hedonistic worshippers who feel "enlightened"
tell me that's not our current society to some degree right now depending on your viewpoint

Is subtlety a meme now? I feel like we were clamoring for more subtle, subdued horror films with less jump scares, and now we are getting a bunch of stuff that thinks it is being subtle but is in fact outright boring.

Seriously what was so good about this movie? The setting and dialogue were definitely well done and extensive.

I think the plot was wasted and piddled along until they just murdered everyone.

didn't vvatch lol

You're arguing that a movie where every female worships the devil and goes insane with homicidal lust is somehow a strengthening of feminist agenda?

For fucks sake the only person who put up any real fight towards the fucking Devil was the leading male character.

This.

You can't have over an hour of nothing happening and then kill off most of the family in a clusterfuck during the last 15 minutes.

>the dad is useless at everything except chopping wood
>is killed by a giant pile of chopped wood

2deep4me

dumb feminist bloggers are making that argument
i think it's pretty clear it's some sort of indictment against feminism

It's a shame The Witch got too popular. It's a bad movie from now on I guess.

Yes, but they're dumb feminists, user. No one with a brain fucking listens to them.

The what?

You're starting to sound a lot like Sup Forums.

Pretty much.

Great looking.

At least it wasn't as bad as the last big meme horror film, It Follows.

Any of you watch High Rise yet? It was really fucking good. They did a top job of adapting it, I thought.

It was really well made.

Shame they didn't bother coming up with a story and hiring a writer to write that story.

It succeeds as a horror movie at a bare minimum, and there is too much going on thematically for it to be considered boring. If you're calling a movie that took the time to be as faithful as possible to the time period with the dialogue and setting "mediocre" then you are part of the problem.

Nope. There are some exceptional slow burn horror films, this is not one of them.

This is true.

The mood in the movie was great, and the entire movie up until its last part was very suspenseful, but atmosphere doesn't make up for a wasted ending.

The viewer must be able to take something from the movie. Otherwise it's just empty, no matter how well it's shot.

So many faggots in this thread will never live deliciously

The toddlers were murdered and used to power the witches' flight like the baby in the beginning. Notice the group of witches at the end prepping their brooms.

>This movie is mediocre as fuck

Magical realist masterpiece

I wouldn't even call The Witch a traditional slow burn horror film but I'm curious to see what you think constitutes a good one.

it was poorly paced. the scariest scene happens at the start.

The dialogue and setting are undeniably great.

The plot could have been better in like 20 different ways.

They should have all had their own temptations and fell into satans hands before being murdered ironically, then the pure teenage daughter should have died alone in the woods or been burned by the town for witchcraft. But instead we got

>Papa cuts wood and is prideful, killed by goat for no reason
>Mom cries a lot and blames others for her problems, manipulated
>Son wants to get his dick wet, dies to succubus
>Twins are spoiled, WHOA A WITCH TELEPORTED IN AND ATE THEM
>Daughter spends entire movie renouncing satan and being faithful to her family, until satan murders her whole family in front of her and she does a complete 180 for some butter

Atmosphere is arguably the biggest aspect of a horror movie, and the movie had a lot more going on than surface level tension.

You shouldn't be so reductive if you ignored such a large aspect of the movie. Each family member except for maybe the twins was going through their own unique crisis of faith with a lot of nuance and weight.