/prod/ - Music Production General

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for posting WiPs
No one gives a shit about your soundcloud, so don't post it unless specifically asked to.

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff:
pastebin.com/QXRCaVsZ

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

/prod/ discord (i can't believe it's not IRC) is up!
discord.gg/AR3Uqrq

You will only get feedback if you give feedback.

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/w35newl1
amazon.com/M-Audio-Keystation-49-II-Controller/dp/B00IWWZAM6
amazon.com/dp/B00F9SX2EE/ref=twister_B00VEMRM86?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
clyp.it/jbvbs401
clyp.it/lg51bc1x
clyp.it/r0a21dqh
clyp.it/ylix220g
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
clyp.it/muadso0q
clyp.it/hbnognql
youtube.com/watch?v=PUX-VCGAsD8
clyp.it/hofvbo52
youtube.com/watch?v=ZGgYDUkpE0U
clyp.it/1tle3wlh
ask.audio/articles/this-modular-midi-controller-specialwaves-mine-is-smart-customisable-sexy
clyp.it/i0pqorye
clyp.it/wit5ca1y
clyp.it/iu2mgbnu
clyp.it/bmqx10ac
clyp.it/tic3ub3i
clyp.it/rzmq4hyz
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

clyp.it/w35newl1

POST MEMES

>You will only get feedback if you give feedback.
This is a stupid new rule. I do give feedback (lots), but I always do it in a different post to the ones with my clyps in. I don't want people to go easy on me depending on whether I was nice or constructive to other people.

Newfriend here.
I bought this, did I fuck up?
amazon.com/M-Audio-Keystation-49-II-Controller/dp/B00IWWZAM6

>make 2 minute sequence that I'm almost ok with (aka doesn't make me feel like hanging myself that much)
>know it would be better served as the second half of a song
>Literally, ironically can't come up with anything for the first half

Hurts.

hey, this is not meme at all!

>no beatpads or dials to twiddle synth sounds with
You kinda fucked up but it's still a pretty good keyboard.

Get an LDP-8 to go with it, they're dirt cheap.

This happened to me couple of months ago, I never did finish that song.

Oh yeah I know, but I wasn't going to find a 49-key by a well-known company for below $100 so I decided to find something smaller with knobs afterwards to complement the keyboard, something like amazon.com/dp/B00F9SX2EE/ref=twister_B00VEMRM86?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
I however, have no idea if Novation stuff is good.
There's also the Arturia BeatStep.

Then there's the option of canceling now then paying more for the Oxygen MKIV instead. Should I do it?

Who ear fatigue here?

Me

>Then there's the option of canceling now then paying more for the Oxygen MKIV instead. Should I do it?
Yes, that's literally the keyboard I would have suggested if you were to have asked before ordering.

i have tinnitus but it is not noticable until im trying to sleep

I need some shit to listen to, where the fuck is everyone.

clyp.it/jbvbs401
Thoughts on this?
>Boom bap beat

Hey, this is pretty chill. I was getting ready to rip on you when you said boom bap (whatever the fuck that means) but this has a nice flow.

You play the keyboards/bass on this yourself?

making me feel quite inadequate mang

clyp.it/lg51bc1x
clyp.it/r0a21dqh
both remixes, not done. made em today because i ain't got nothing better to do.

will update as i change and improve these

>I was getting ready to rip on you when you said boom bap (whatever the fuck that means)
Boom Bap was a massively popular style of hip hop in the eastern United States during the 1990s. The sound originated in the mid-to-late 1980s, pioneered by groups like Boogie Down Productions and the Juice Crew All Stars. The beats consist of many variations on a simple theme: a booming kick drum followed by hard-hitting snares. The MC generally times their delivery to match the pattern laid out by the beat (notable off-beat exceptions include Masta Ace and RZA), creating a sound focused on the percussive relationship between drums and MCs.

>both remixes
Next time remix something good.

sorry I don't like shitty hiphop or something
I remixed those songs because I had access to the vocal stems and liked the lyrical content.

That's like saying I painted using my own shit because I had a steady supply of it.

What? Lol, that analogy doesn't fit. I'm not just going to shit my synths and beat on top of someone else's call it my work.

A remix, to me, is when you get those resources the original creator(s) had and you make it your own. Not just put a shitty beat on top of some other dude's shitty beat and call it a remix.

update from the shit I posted yesterday night. I tried to listen to what people pointed out as major flaws (shit being too fuzzy and overcrowded), but at the end of the day it still suffers from being baby's first chords and melodies - the track.

The synth at 0:32 will probably get the axe (as someone had suggested before), I thought by changing the synth I could make the melody work, but it's still very bad

clyp.it/ylix220g

it's only my second track ever p-pls no bully

>What? Lol, that analogy doesn't fit.
Yes it does,
>I remixed those songs because I had access to the vocal stems
"I had this shit to work with so I used it."
>A remix, to me, is when you get those resources the original creator(s) had and you make it your own. Not just put a shitty beat on top of some other dude's shitty beat and call it a remix.
If this is the case, what you have done is not a remix.

I think the drums have got a lot more potential but you need different drum sounds.

the second half is shit and i turned it off that overly distorted synth is gay as fuck the first half is decent though

No, it doesn't fit man. Its like if you try to go get some food, but your fridge is empty. What, do you expect to just pull something out of my ass? I've remixed on top of songs before and it's no fun.

I liked the songs they were from too, if that helps any. Lyrics mean something, I like the melody, ect. I don't see a problem with that.

I don't know what you're refuting. Either me not following my own definition of a remix or my own definition not matching yours. Either way, I made all of it except for the vocals, so I don't know why you don't think it's a remix lol.

thanks mate. I do need to learn drum machines. And use more than fucking snares and kicks.

Well shit, I thought that was the only thing that wasn't deadly boring. Point taken.

>so I don't know why you don't think it's a remix lol.
Gee, I dunno, maybe when you said here.
>clyp.it/lg51bc1x
>clyp.it/r0a21dqh
>both remixes,
You're stupid, and mad that you didn't get people sucking your dick over the clyps you posted. Deal with it.

Either way I didn't like it and thought it was gay. Fuck me that second one elicited physical revulsion. Sounds like Owl City. I hate Owl City.

it is the sound itself you should practice making synth patches or use decent (((presets)))

This guy is right >it is the sound itself you should practice making synth patches or use decent (((presets)))
This is where you should watch all three videos in this series.
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M

this is probably the best synthesis tutorial around even though it is old it still holds today and the guy is comfy as fuck

Listening back, you're right, I did go way overboard with the distortion, that requires tweeking.

Thanks.
Thanks, I'll watch.

Merriam says a remix is "a variant of an original recording (as of a song) made by rearranging or adding to the original".

I got the original stems, and added my own spin on everything else. Dunno what tf you think it is but k.

Not upset lol just curious as to these odd points you're bringing up. Also >I didn't like it and thought it was gay is a great critique, will try and fix that in the next render.

Listen you retarded faggot, it doesn't matter what the definition is, you SAID it was a remix in the post where you first posted the clyps. THAT's why I thought it was a remix. I have already pointed this out with appropriate quotes and backlinks. You're a fucking mong.

The teacher is awesome, the lessons are simple and well explained. I've watched the whole series three times so far, I'll probably go back again just because I like the videos.

Yea I know, that's what they are. Remixes. Never said they weren't hun

>hun

yung LEAVE

Lol. Naw, don't plan on it. There are actually rational people on this board, somewhere, that I'd like to listen to my stuff and give me interesting and helpful insight as to their opinions about my music

Sadly, you're not one of those people ;(

yr dumb

it sucked you have everything too loud to listen to

>interesting and helpful insight as to their opinions about my music
Your music sounds like Owl City, which is on my top 5 most hated ever bands list. If you ever started performing that music in my physical presence, I would beat you to the fucking ground, then beat your face through the ground. Please never post another clyp. Please never make any more music. You are literally making music worse with your sacharine chords and autotuned cheesy melody driven bullshit.

There's a saying that in music, silences are as important as any of the notes. You should take this to heart. Your silence is very important.

rip discord

Turn your volume town. Sorry I actually master my music :T

yes inbred, come beat me for doing a live performance, do it. If someone who makes a shit sounding song with nothing but discordant nasty synths and slowed down kickdrums can post, I can post all I want. kys

>Turn your volume town. Sorry I actually master my music :T

now ur being dense, kys

:^)

Fine keep posting. But don't be surprised if you don't get the same circlejerk response here that you get from your friends IRL. We will be brutal. Especially to MOR shite like yours.

The guys who post stuff with dischordant synths etc are usually looking for help, and we're glad to give it. Unless it's especially bad and shows no rhythm or whatever.

But you, you obviously know enough music theory/production to not need that kind of basica help. And you're using your knowledge to create truly awful music. I'd sooner listent o Merzbow than your shit and I hate Merzbow.

You are Justin Bieber tier bad.

So what you're saying iiissss... If I make shit music, you'll actually critique it. k

Please start using a tripcode so I can filter you.

WEW LAD

clyp.it/muadso0q

you may not like it at the beginning, but you'll love it by the end

>you'll love it by the end
I didn't.

so now that the dust has settled, what is the best way to accomplish a clean mix without whites and kikes on this planet? I'm planning on routing the kikes to a carbon-monoxide bus and apply a filter on the crackers, is anything else there I could do?

My gear is a 21st century genocide-set and masses of power

why not? :(

Hello pal!!!!!1 I've got an advice for you, in case you really wanted to pursuit such a honorable goal: Get fucking CYCLONE B, A.S.A.P..

Prepare a big room with no reverberation and throw some pennies and a rubber doll of an african inside it, the kikes and whities will get inside it faster than you could say leech

don't equalize! as soon as they're all inside, drop the granulate inside the room and close all doors, remember to say: "happy thanksgiving"

wew, the edge is killing me right now

clyp.it/hbnognql

allright is this okay guys are the levels okay? Listened to it so much i need some opinions :)

would work on sound design and would make the arrangement a little bit less random. especially the drums.

sounds really good dude. maybe add some drum breaks?

so now that the dust is settled, I am flume, ama.

like,comment,subscribe

youtube.com/watch?v=PUX-VCGAsD8

nix?

I didn't either. idk what you were going for with that. The mixing is alright though.

r8 senpai desu
clyp.it/hofvbo52

How do you get the indie-alternative-folk-ish kick drum sound? Is it just a kick drum with a low tom?

Serious question, do you have autism?

youtube.com/watch?v=ZGgYDUkpE0U

I'm actually kind of curious now

How do you guys feel when you accidentally copy something? I spent about 5 hours on a song a few days ago, and when I put on some music a few hours after finishing it, I realized it sounded a lot like Skip Divided by Thom Yorke, got mad and scrapped it. Has this ever happened to you guys?

>How do you guys feel when you accidentally copy something?
Bad

Depends on what genre you're making, I guess it's a plus if you're making hip hop. The more similar the better.

can someone explain why stereo songs feel like they're floating, but mono songs feel like they're locked to the ground?

Not necessarily locked, but certain sounds feel more present than all airy and far away like stereo songs do.

Just felt like making some jungle tunes.
>clyp.it/1tle3wlh

How's that for a jungle tune? What do you think of the bass here?
I used kind of an ancient technique for it. Also sorry for the Serum preset pad.

Do you know of any good techniques of getting that classic jungle sub bass?

About?

I do. I'll write it up as soon as I get back.

>clyp.it/1tle3wlh
Okay so- this is good, I love the beat. But those synths REALLY hurt my ears. You need to learn to refrence, because if your headphones are really dull in the high end and you make something that sounds right to you, its going to be super sharp to people with normal headphones.

Anyway, if you can bring down the 4-7k range by two or three db, that should help considerably.

Sidechaining the drums to the bass will help considerably. But some compression on the master would help even more to get your bass to agree with your beat. I'd personally put a faster decay on it as well, though that's just me.

> I guess it's a plus if you're making hip hop. The more similar the better

fuck no

Okay buddy, even edm is less generic than hip-hop atm.

ok, yea, I should have added an explanation. the rule is "the more similar the better", but good hip hop isn't really that similar to the nigger shit out there

Yeah, I work as a dj, and it's cringy af when white bois come up to you and request hood shit with like 10k views? Fucking nigger culture man.

is the Op-1 worth the money?

I haven't been using my push lately and have been looking for something I can make music "Out of the box" with...although maybe it's a good idea for me to actually own a daw lmao

>tfw there is a beefting on /prod/

Psychoacoustics.

Your brain uses what it picks up as phase relationships between sounds arriving at each ear (and tiny differences in arrival times at the same) to work out where it believes sounds are coming from in the 3D space - if you have your monitor speakers set up and positioned properly, a dual-mono sound (an identical sound played at the same level from both speakers) will seem (to your brain) to be coming from neither speaker but instead from a single "virtual" speaker located right between them, similarly the same sound with one side slightly time-delayed will be interpreted by your brain as having more stereo width.

It looks gorgeous but it's overpriced shite. Not worth the money at all.

Indifferent. People have been taking ideas from other music, both intentionally and unintentionally, since the beginning of time. I'm not trying to bite a part note for note, or even try to emulate someone's style, I just make stuff I like. I look at it as making something unique is a secondary goal, being able to be the best representation amongst my contemporaries is the primary. I'm not the first person to use 7th chords or a diatonic scale or whatever, and a lot of my writing comes from improvising, occasionally I improvise something and it ends up sounding like something else. It's not the end of the world for me, but if I can't make it work and sound better than what it sounds like I don't use it, no point to.

Goddamn I'm tempted to back this once it hits Kickstarter, shit looks neat.

ask.audio/articles/this-modular-midi-controller-specialwaves-mine-is-smart-customisable-sexy

you owned it to say so? or you're from an outside perspective?

Thanks for your input either way!

Its bad when your ears, hands and eyes fuck out

>take advantage of long weekend to mix a bunch of tracks
>spend Wednesday after to Saturday morning mixing
>ear fatigue like crazy
>go to family thanksgiving Saturday night
>60 people in a small hall with really high ceilings
I feel like I'm listening to a white noise generator hooked up to the loudest pa while standing right next to it. I can't hear anybody talking to me, I'm getting sick to my stomach. This is horrible.

How do I make these drums not sound shitty
clyp.it/i0pqorye

I think I finally finished this. Took forever but I'm happy with it, except for the verse. I'd much rather have an original one rather than an acapella track I found online. So if any of you guys know someone who can rap and has a means to record with fairly good quality, let me know.
>clyp.it/wit5ca1y
>(water) trap
>hip hop
>808s for days
>little sprinkle of wubs

I also finally got around to (mostly) finishing this. There's still some rough parts though.
>clyp.it/iu2mgbnu
>synthwave
>remix
>Rihanna
>80s

I'll post feedback on your guy's tracks in my next post.

>clyp.it/i0pqorye
The snare doesn't sound bad but you could change the kick and hi hat. I have a pretty good vinyl drum sample pack if you want me to upload it. Otherwise, it's really not that bad.

Who /bitwig/ here?
It's like 100 bucks off today.

What are the 3 best Windows compatible DAW's (other than Ableton and FL) ?

clyp.it/bmqx10ac
here's ya'll another new one.

if it sounds weird its because i haven't been able to reference it yet

need to fix sidechain, its fucked in the first bit. will post update once i do it.

depends what's best for you
shit's personal preference as fuck

pirate all of them, try them all out, whichever one you like the most buy and delete the others. or just keep pirating it idfk, idk anyone who actually buys daws anyway.

clyp.it/tic3ub3i
making some shit for a friend to rap over and put on soundcloud criticism yes thank

>I feel like I'm listening to a white noise generator hooked up to the loudest pa while standing right next to it. I can't hear anybody talking to me, I'm getting sick to my stomach. This is horrible.
Literally how i hear people in crowds all the time
I have average hearing in other situations

Hey /prod/
So I was browsing through my sample library and I decided to look in the 'loops' folders I usually pay no attention to. I have to ask, do people actually use these?
It seems to me that anybody could pick a few loops and make an entire song, do you think that's fair?
What are your thoughts on loop sounds in music production?

Ever work on a harmony for a while and have no idea if it even makes sense anymore from listening to it over and over?

clyp.it/rzmq4hyz