The Leftovers

/tv asked me to not fall for the critic meme. But I did.

But now my eyes are open. How the fuck did critics give the first season of this, literally the most GOAT show I've seen a in a while, a mixed rating?

Also general Leftovers discussion thread

It's dark and a lot of folks can't wrap their heads around a show without answers. This show is basically asking you to stop distracting yourself with horseshit for five minutes and contemplate existence, and exceedingly few people can stand doing that.

What is it about?

Oh man, go into this cold. Wish I had that opportunity.

I think the only character I don't like is Meg. Everybody else is superbly written.

A relatively small percentage of Earth's population disappears into thin air. It's still the most shocking event in history and forces everyone into a state of existential crisis.

it was a very well written drama, i dont realy get how lots of shit like the walking dead get praise and this alost didnt get any

The next season is gonna be the last season. Just fuck my life up.

Last season is set in Australia too. I am hype

Because the main dude is white.

They diversified in the second season and got positive reviews. Eveidence is there.

this chick getting blacked.

The Leftovers is basically The Walking Dead with mysteries instead of zombies but people praise it because it's on HBO.

Season 2 is the best season of any television I've ever watched. The fact we actually get 'answers' was amazing and they really expanded almost every character as far as they good (Maggy for example)

I feel like you've actually watched the show before because it literally nothing like the Walking Dead in any shape or form. There isn't random deaths, mysteries, 'danger around every corner', a constant threat of another group etc.

Literally completely opposites.

It's a well below average melodrama that is propelled by a supernatural/sci-fi premise that never has to be explained but can be trotted out ad nauseum when they actually need something to happen on the show. The difference is that The Walking Dead doesn't pretend it's somehow high art so in many ways The Leftovers is worse.

>A relatively small percentage of Earth's population disappears into thin air. It's still the most shocking event in history and forces everyone into a state of existential crisis.
>forces everyone into a state of existential crisis.
Whoa. And a comparable percentage dying violently and painfully everyday in wars, crimes, traffic accidents, or from hunger, or from terrible diseases like Ebola or AIDS just doesn't. Literally '1st World Problems The Show'. Dropped without starting.

>tfw Aimee isn't in season 2 to stop Jill from getting BLACKED

If I fell for the critics meme I wouldn't have seen this, OGF, Spring Breakers, The Counselor, and so on. Never listen to the critics, they're always one step behind the viewer.

Plus, they praise things like GoT, TWD, Supergirl and so on, but give average ratings to shows like this that challenge the viewer.

You really don't understand how millions of people vanishing without a trace of reason would rock the world? Most humans believe there's a point to their lives (kek), but take that away and you'll see depression and apathy skyrocket.

Ignore the Sup Forumsedditor nigger. It's top-tier b8, surely.

Foreseen/controllable vs. unforeseen/uncontrollable my very young friend.

>I disagree but have no arguments to defend muh babby's first 'deep' show
>Let's call him a Sup Forumsedditor
Stay gold, Sup Forums

There is no hope for you. You have to go back

>tfw you wish you were homeward bound

I'm happy this gets another season, sad that it will be the last, but hoping it will be amazing because they know it will end so they can make a proper ending, instead of leaving it open in case they get renewed.

I can understand some of the critical backlash for the first season; it was kind of brutal, emotionally. I thought it was great, and I feel like any critic who thinks that "too sad = bad" is an idiot.

They always only wanted 3 seasons, so I know it won't be rushed.

I loved Peter Berg's direction of the pilot, it sold me on it within the first few minutes. Glad they kept that direction and feel. I can't describe it, the handheld, hyper-realistic feel? Either way, it's great.

I personally preferred season 1 to 2, like I preferred Fargo 1 to 2. That's just me though.

S1>S2

Second season and FUCKING KEVIN are one of the better things ever happened on tv
though the first season is meh tbqh compared to the 2nd

the fucking hotel man

the fucking little girl

People deal with unknown and unexplained deaths on a daily basis. The only thing that separates this show from another widespread event with a high body count is the supernatural element, but The Leftovers isn't about the mysteries according to interviews from the showrunners so they let themselves off the hook for not being "authentic" in their portrayal of existential crises or making the melodrama compelling because they can shit out a new supernatural element when things are getting boring.

They literally address this in the opening scene of the show. There's a radio talk show where someone is arguing how its far from the most destructive event in human history.